Championship picture for the next 6 years
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Championship picture for the next 6 years

I wanted to go 10 but there could be another Lebron or Wade come up in the next few years and completely change the way that looks. 6 years might even be a stretch but I'm sure everybody has some good opinions for as much. Miami's got a chance for a couple more but that team's not going to be around forever. The Spurs will probably be a part of the picture for the next 6 years. With better defensive play I can see us beating a Washington, Cleveland, or Chicago matchup. Dallas seems capable of continuing to make themselves part of the Championship picture and the teams in the East that can beat them, Detroit and Miami, might not be there in a couple years. I think we've got a chance in a couple years with Kwame and Bynum, if we become a defensive team, of winning a few. The Spurs might still be our biggest challenge but again that's what Kwame and Bynum are there for. What are your predictions for the next 6 years?

Barring KG or JO going somewhere like Miami
1)Miami
2)Spurs
3)Lakers
4)Spurs
5)Lakers
6)Lakers
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Lakers Lakers Lakers Lakers Lakers. I'm not biased.
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject:

I tried not to sound biased either but we do have Kobe, hehe. Seriosly, I like our chances with Miami in the old folks home. Props to Dallas for finally making it to the big show but I don't think Duncan is going to have many more off years. If he does more power to us.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Miami will not win this year. Niether will Detroit. Either San Antonio, Dallas or Pheonix will get the title. My money's on Dallas. Other then that, your picks are pretty much good.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:

1 Lakers
2 Lakers
3 Lakers
4 Lakers
5 Lakers
6 Lakers

AND NO I AM NOT BIASED AT ALL!!!!!!!!
Melon Tea
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:

miami mayb 1 more. spurs mayb 1 more. i don't see lakers winning 3 in the next 6 years
they-perch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

miami is done. they were lucky as hell to even have gotten to the finals last year. you cant count on the western conference team choking again, and unless the refs are gonna take their biased officiating to a whole new level i dont see miami getting better. even though the east is soft, chicago, indiana, and maybe even orlando ina year will be tough competition. detroit is a little hampered, but in now way out of the running.
PassiontoWin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject:

2007 - Spurs
2008 - Lakers
2009 - Lakers
2010 - Cavs
2011 - Lakers
2012 - Cavs
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Team Bryant wrote:
2007 - Spurs
2008 - Lakers
2009 - Lakers
2010 - Cavs
2011 - Lakers
2012 - Cavs

IF the Cavs play the Lakers in the NBA Finals, the Cavs will NEVER win in a 7 game series with the Lakers as long as Kobe is with the Lakers. NEVER
PassiontoWin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
Team Bryant wrote:
2007 - Spurs
2008 - Lakers
2009 - Lakers
2010 - Cavs
2011 - Lakers
2012 - Cavs

IF the Cavs play the Lakers in the NBA Finals, the Cavs will NEVER win in a 7 game series with the Lakers as long as Kobe is with the Lakers. NEVER

never say never....kobe will be out of his prime by that time and lebron will be in his prime..
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Team Bryant wrote:
Flight#24 wrote:
Team Bryant wrote:
2007 - Spurs
2008 - Lakers
2009 - Lakers
2010 - Cavs
2011 - Lakers
2012 - Cavs

never say never....kobe will be out of his prime by that time and lebron will be in his prime..

33-34 years old Kobe is still going be pretty damn good (think of Jordan and his work ethic at that age). Plus we have a (hopefully) a great center in Andrew Bynum, not to mention Lamar and Farmar.

But still I guess I should never say never. IF all goes as planned and no one turns out to be a bust or a failure, I highly doubt the Cavs could beat the Lakers in the next 10 years.
Laker_Leo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

2007- Lakers
2008- Lakers
2009- Lakers
2010- Lakers
2011- Lakers
2012- Lakers

Anything else and it just wouldn't be fun to watch.
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Team Bryant wrote:
2007 - Spurs
2008 - Lakers
2009 - Lakers
2010 - Cavs
2011 - Lakers
2012 - Cavs

Ilgauskas??? Really?? Ilgauskas for prez in 2012 if that's the case. The Cavz would be one of the teams I'd worry about picking up a KG or JO though. They would be our east coast rivals. Same goes for the Bulls and the Wiz. The Bulls already picked up BenFlo so they're probably out of that race. Wiz or Cavz though. That's trouble. Young talent, Arenas & Lebron, with somebody like KG or JO to give them dominance inside.
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject:

Team Bryant wrote:
Flight#24 wrote:
Team Bryant wrote:
2007 - Spurs
2008 - Lakers
2009 - Lakers
2010 - Cavs
2011 - Lakers
2012 - Cavs

ehhhh, Kobe's still getting better so in 3 seasons, 09-10, he's either going to be peaking or somwher near his peak. I don't think it's a straight up and down peak either so he's not going to just be some old by 11-12. With Kobe nearing his best years(notice it's not year single but years plural) Lebron is the one that's going to have worry about Kobe the next few years not viceversa. Once Kobe gets his then it's another story.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:

Suns, Spurs, Cavs, Lakers, Lakers
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

spurs are done.....

its gonna be....

lakers <~~~this one might be the suns
lakers
lakers
lakers
lakers
cavs
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:

I dont see Miami winning back to back. I think they were fotunate to win it last season, and with Shaqs bad wheels, knees, etc...I dont see him even making it through the reg season, let alone keep healthy enough to make it through the playoffs. His number of rings is 4, and thats what he will retire with. Mark my words. Done.

Now...its our turn to aquire the players we need to run off another 3 rings.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

*Purple&Gold* wrote:
I dont see Miami winning back to back. I think they were fotunate to win it last season, and with Shaqs bad wheels, knees, etc...I dont see him even making it through the reg season, let alone keep healthy enough to make it through the playoffs. His number of rings is 4, and thats what he will retire with. Mark my words. Done.

Now...its our turn to aquire the players we need to run off another 3 rings.

we will get more than 3 im thinking 5 straight

Last edited by LaLakers999 on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

We should have been acquiring those players starting two years ago. Miami did a VERY good job of building an excellent supporting cast around Shaq and Wade. But still, it took a RECORD number of whistles for Wade to get Miami a ring.

The Lakers are not currently building a good enough cast around Kobe to contend. I'm not overly optimistic they will be able to do it under the current GM. I just hope we can win one more during Kobe's career.

Jake Speed, 1986
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:

1.Lakers
2.|
3.|
4.|
5.|
6.|
7.|
8.|
9.|
..V
END OF HUMANITY
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
We should have been acquiring those players starting two years ago. Miami did a VERY good job of building an excellent supporting cast around Shaq and Wade. But still, it took a RECORD number of whistles for Wade to get Miami a ring.

The Lakers are not currently building a good enough cast around Kobe to contend. I'm not overly optimistic they will be able to do it under the current GM. I just hope we can win one more during Kobe's career.

What would be overly optimistic, 2 more during Kobe's career
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Very hard to predict but the teams that are currently top contenders:

Miami: Core - Shaq/Zo, Haslem/Walker, Posey, Wade, Williams/Payton.

Shaq's 34 going on 35. Zo's in his last year as is Payton. How long will Riley stay? One has to think that the Heat have at most one more run left in them with their current core. With Wade and Riles ability to sign/aquire talent they can get back into contention real fast but I do believe there will be a 2 year phase where they have to seriously re-tool.

Contend till: 2008 at best. After that need 1-2 years to re-tool around Wade

Dallas: Core - Dampier/Diop, Nowitzki, Howard, Harris, Terry.

They are all relatively young and their coach is only in their 2nd year. Good nucleus going forward. I would say they stay in contention for a while.

Contend till: Atleast 2010. Possibly 2 years after that too.

San Antonio: Core - Elson/Butler, Duncan, Bowen/Finley, Ginobli, Parker

Duncan's got 2-3 years left where he's a 20/10 elite bigman. Gino and Parker are in their primes too. Pop seems fine with coaching and health wise.

Contend till: 2009 atleast. Then dependant on Duncan's health/longevity.

Pheonix: Core - Amare, Marion, Diaw, Bell/Barbosa, Nash/Banks.

Amare's surgery has really hurt this team's ability to be a true longterm contender. While I'm not a believer that Amare is "done" or that he's only a 12/7 player now - I think he will be a 18/9 player but his minutes and hardiness can be questioned. Nash is in Shaq's shoes. He is in his mid 30's struggling with injuries. The rest of the roster is fine age wise. Coach D'Antoni never seems to run out of energy.

Contend till: 2008 atleast. After that they will need a true PG to replace Nash if they want to stay in the picture.

Detroit: Core - Nazr/McDyess, Wallace, Prince, Rip, Billups.

Rip and Tay are young but the rest of the core is old. A team that may not be that good for much longer, especially if Billups choses to jump ship like Big Ben did. Flip is going to be there as long as Detroit wants him but one questions if he is the right guy to lead a team.

Contend till: 2007. This is their last year as a 50+ win team that can make it to the last 2 rounds of the playoffs IMO. They need to re-tool and that could take some time.

If you look at the league right now 4 out of the 5 best teams from last season are in decline in terms to their franchise players or overall core. The only team that I would bet can consistently stay in contention over the next 4-6 years is Dallas.

Bottom line? There is an opening or should I say openingS. No doubt about that. I can easily see a team in the Lakers situation improve a bit through internal developpment and some good FA pickups and become a serious contender.

Taking a page out of Tex's book

Comers:

East - Bulls, Magic (Might clear capspace and steal Carter next summer)
West - Rockets, Clippers and Lakers. Grizzlies too in 1-2 years if they get a great lottery position next year and Gasol is back to play with that pick, Gay etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject:

If anyone could accurately precict the next year, they could make millions. And you're talking about 6 years from now?
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Very hard to predict but the teams that are currently top contenders:

Miami: Core - Shaq/Zo, Haslem/Walker, Posey, Wade, Williams/Payton.

Shaq's 34 going on 35. Zo's in his last year as is Payton. How long will Riley stay? One has to think that the Heat have at most one more run left in them with their current core. With Wade and Riles ability to sign/aquire talent they can get back into contention real fast but I do believe there will be a 2 year phase where they have to seriously re-tool.

Contend till: 2008 at best. After that need 1-2 years to re-tool around Wade

Dallas: Core - Dampier/Diop, Nowitzki, Howard, Harris, Terry.

They are all relatively young and their coach is only in their 2nd year. Good nucleus going forward. I would say they stay in contention for a while.

Contend till: Atleast 2010. Possibly 2 years after that too.

San Antonio: Core - Elson/Butler, Duncan, Bowen/Finley, Ginobli, Parker

Duncan's got 2-3 years left where he's a 20/10 elite bigman. Gino and Parker are in their primes too. Pop seems fine with coaching and health wise.

Contend till: 2009 atleast. Then dependant on Duncan's health/longevity.

Pheonix: Core - Amare, Marion, Diaw, Bell/Barbosa, Nash/Banks.

Amare's surgery has really hurt this team's ability to be a true longterm contender. While I'm not a believer that Amare is "done" or that he's only a 12/7 player now - I think he will be a 18/9 player but his minutes and hardiness can be questioned. Nash is in Shaq's shoes. He is in his mid 30's struggling with injuries. The rest of the roster is fine age wise. Coach D'Antoni never seems to run out of energy.

Contend till: 2008 atleast. After that they will need a true PG to replace Nash if they want to stay in the picture.

Detroit: Core - Nazr/McDyess, Wallace, Prince, Rip, Billups.

Rip and Tay are young but the rest of the core is old. A team that may not be that good for much longer, especially if Billups choses to jump ship like Big Ben did. Flip is going to be there as long as Detroit wants him but one questions if he is the right guy to lead a team.

Contend till: 2007. This is their last year as a 50+ win team that can make it to the last 2 rounds of the playoffs IMO. They need to re-tool and that could take some time.

If you look at the league right now 4 out of the 5 best teams from last season are in decline in terms to their franchise players or overall core. The only team that I would bet can consistently stay in contention over the next 4-6 years is Dallas.

Bottom line? There is an opening or should I say openingS. No doubt about that. I can easily see a team in the Lakers situation improve a bit through internal development and some good FA pickups and become a serious contender.

Taking a page out of Tex's book

Comers:

East - Bulls, Magic (Might clear capspace and steal Carter next summer)
West - Rockets, Clippers and Lakers. Grizzlies too in 1-2 years if they get a great lottery position next year and Gasol is back to play with that pick, Gay etc.

Thanks for the breakdown. Dallas could be some serious competition in the west for a while. The teams that you don't mention, Cavs/Wiz/Bulls, could end up being more of a problem.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Right now, we just need a player other 17+ppg scorer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: