Maybe N'diaye stays Re: Mihm and McKie...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Maybe N'diaye stays Re: Mihm and McKie...?

call me stupid, tell me i'm smoking crack, whatever, but i was just wondering?

was the non-guarranteed signing of Mamadou N'diaye for a reason? is there a chance this guy might just see more than Kwame's elbows in training camp and actually get a slot on this roster...??

now don't get me wrong i still think it's a long shot and i know that most teams and the Lakers included like to have a few "expendable" bigmen on their training camp rosters to help train their big men in the pre-season (see Adam Parada, Eric Chenowith etc) and i know the Lakers seemingly have really good depth up front with the likes of Brown, Mihm, Bynum, Cook, and Turiaf BUT.......

* there is a now real chance that Mihm may not be ready for the season opener (as per several published reports in LA Times and everywhere else) even though i thought they were just not risking him

* there is now also a real chance that because of his questionable health Aaron McKie may actually be bought out (as per articles in OC Register and Real GM), thus opening up a new roster spot

* now there is no doubt in my mind that Jordan Famer will make the team, but i have doubt that he makes the opening "active roster" and may indeed be sent to the NBDL and be on full-time "call-up" for the Lakers

hence, i think they may have signed N'diaye as "real insurance" for Mihm and in turn Bynum for the start of the season and he may just get a run as the third centre with Mihm starting off "inactive" or injured

i know we have Ronny and they also signed Douthit, but the difference between Douthit and any other wannabe NBA training camp C they could have signed and N'diaye is that - although not to any great significance - N'diaye is somewhat of an NBA veteran and has been there and done it so to speak

so my theory is if Mihm is actually down at the start of the season, N'diaye might jsut be kept around to share back-up C minutes with Bynum (and possibly even Ronny depending on the active 12) IF McKie is indeed bought out and a new roster spot becomes available - this would also be contingent on the Lakers going in this direction rather than adding another of the fringe guards we have in store, which is very possible since we are already guard heavy as it is.....

it's just a thought, nothing more......

also....interesting to note that Green was listed as a fill in for an injured Kobe with a scrimmage team consisting of Kwame, Lamar, Luke and Smush - the starters from the end of last season.....whilst in other notes Shau Williams was noted to have put up a great alley-oop pass to Vlad Rad for a layup suggetsing they may have been playing against that team in scrimmage

so wonder if Vlad Rad is going to start like i thought he would, or Luke retains his spot at least to start with?????

Last edited by LakeShow06 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
call me stupid

LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Ataris_PunK wrote:
Quote:
call me stupid

well i guess i left myself open for that one, but if you read all of my post, the circumstancial evidence does make it worth considering

anyway, its probably a good thing you don't post "call me stupid" in any or all of your posts, otherwise i would get sick of quoting it to you....
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Sometimes camp fodder is just camp fodder.

Switch N'Daiye's name with Adam Parada or any other camp invite big and you'll have your answer.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
Ataris_PunK wrote:
Quote:
call me stupid

well i guess i left myself open for that one, but if you read all of my post, the circumstancial evidence does make it worth considering

anyway, its probably a good thing you don't post "call me stupid" in any or all of your posts, otherwise i would get sick of quoting it to you....

Not to be mean man.

You're trying to make rocket science over 2nd grade math. The roster is so packed we're going to have to cut out 2nd rounder we traded for or a player we had for an entire season on his rookie contract.

You think they're keeping some random center?
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Switch N'Daiye's name with Adam Parada or any other camp invite big and you'll have your answer.

Hector,

i know what you're saying believe me and i mentioned Parada etc in the post, but itjust seems different with Mihm's injury - as we looked like having great front court depth with Mihm as the first big man off the bench and Bynum, Cook and Turiaf to back him and Kwame up

but the longer it takes for Mihm's injury to heal and for him to get into condition, the greater the chance that N'diaye is "perhaps" kept around, especially since it again leaves us with two inexperienced bigs off the bench in Bynum and Turiaf (since cook is more of a shooter anyway)

If Mihm is actually out and Bynum comes in as the primary back up big and is fouling out or being outplayed, then what do we do, just rely on Turiaf who is in the same boat???

just stinks of last year to me and our depth was painful with Mihm and Brown both starting and with Mihm's injury and i'm not saying N'diaye is any great shakes but at least he has experience to come in and play IF Bynum is not up to it......thats all....no big drama
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:

they-perch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

NO NO NO NO NO.

1. theres no roster space. unless they are trading mihm and others theres no space. why would they trade mihm right now, his value is low as can be as he is injured.

2. if there were backup minutes theyd rather give them to bynum than the camp fodder.

3. mihm w/ a bum ankle can probably produce more than this guy.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

^ Mihm isn't expected to be out long.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Artis Punk,

wasn't trying to be mean either and as i have said i don't expect this move, but its within the realms of possibility IF Mihm is not healthy and IF McKie is indeed bought out - opening a roster spot - as i said.......

we already have lots of guards who will be fighting for time mainly behind Kobe and although i like Green (and Farmar will stay somewhere) Pinnock, Wafer and Green are just as expendable as N'diaye - except maybe more so now with Mihm's injury

and Phil always likes frontcourt depth, somwthing he didn't have last year, with Brian Cook the main sub most of the early part of the year

just thought it was worth mentioning and also, it's just as good rocket science as making statements that Farmar is "going to be our starter by mid-season" - both things are possible, but both with about the same probability of happening IMHO
jbjb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject:

1. "Inactive" players, including players sent down to NBDL count as part of the 15 man roster.
2. Turiaf and Cook can both play back up center.
3. Who does N'diaye boot off the 15 man roster? (IMHO -- No one)
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Mamadou N'diaye is nothing but a temporary employee who happens to be a very good poser.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Ataris_PunK wrote:

the most recent articles say Mihm is experiencing sharp pain in his ankle whenever he runs and is expected to be out for another 2-3 weeks, which does not make it look good for him starting the season healthy

and some other people should read the WHOLE post - i am basing this possibility only IF Mihm is "inactive" and McKie is bought out, meaning Mihm would of course be on the roster but "inactive" and another spot would be open because of McKie being gone

and also as above, we have a plethora of guards as it is, but with Mihm out our frontcourt is very much weakened even with Bynum and Turiaf there
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Hector,

i know what you're saying believe me and i mentioned Parada etc in the post, but itjust seems different with Mihm's injury - as we looked like having great front court depth with Mihm as the first big man off the bench and Bynum, Cook and Turiaf to back him and Kwame up

but the longer it takes for Mihm's injury to heal and for him to get into condition, the greater the chance that N'diaye is "perhaps" kept around, especially since it again leaves us with two inexperienced bigs off the bench in Bynum and Turiaf (since cook is more of a shooter anyway)

If Mihm is actually out and Bynum comes in as the primary back up big and is fouling out or being outplayed, then what do we do, just rely on Turiaf who is in the same boat???

just stinks of last year to me and our depth was painful with Mihm and Brown both starting and with Mihm's injury and i'm not saying N'diaye is any great shakes but at least he has experience to come in and play IF Bynum is not up to it......thats all....no big drama

Mamadou is hardly experienced. He's not going to bring anything that either of the sophs can't bring, and that's an optimistic outlook for him.

The bottom line is it's better for the team, in the long run as well as the short run, IF Mihm isn't back in time for the regular season, if those minutes go to developing Bynum and Turiaf.

Look at what Rambis and Kareem have said about Bynum - the only way for him to really get better is for him to be on the floor.

There's really no "perhaps" about Mamadou staying around. He'll put in his time as a preseason tackling dummy and then it's so long, have fun playing with the Long Beach Jam. I'll bet money on it, and I'm not a gambling man (I mean him not sticking around past camp, not his final destination once he's gone).
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Ataris_PunK wrote:

Didn't they say that 4 months ago??

Jake Speed, 1986
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Hector,

thats all fien and i'll probably have something on that bet too, but it's worth considering - and even though i agree it will be good to develop Bynum and Turiaf, it would also be good to have early back-up for them if they are still not quite up to it yet, as i don't want to ever want to see Brian Cook playing back-up C again, epecially when he is a mid to long range jump shooter........???????

just thought it was weird that they even bothered to sign either N'diaye or Douthit for camp when they had Bynum, Turiaf and i suppose Cook to battle with Kwame and Mihm, but maybe it was just regulation since Mihm can't practice, who knows......just thought it was all worth mentioning
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if there's still anyone saying Mihm is a better option at Center than Kwame?
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
Ataris_PunK wrote:

the most recent articles say Mihm is experiencing sharp pain in his ankle whenever he runs and is expected to be out for another 2-3 weeks, which does not make it look good for him starting the season healthy

and some other people should read the WHOLE post - i am basing this possibility only IF Mihm is "inactive" and McKie is bought out, meaning Mihm would of course be on the roster but "inactive" and another spot would be open because of McKie being gone

and also as above, we have a plethora of guards as it is, but with Mihm out our frontcourt is very much weakened even with Bynum and Turiaf there

Who do you cut then?
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
Ataris_PunK wrote:

Didn't they say that 4 months ago??

exactly......

my whole "conspiracy theory" about all of this is based on the fact that Mihm seems to be getting worse before he gets better + McKie may be bought out + Bynum and Turiaf are basically still "rookies"
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather go with a weak front-court, wait on Mihm, and extending an offer to either Pinnock or Green in McKie's place.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:

They did it because they needed bodies to fill out 3 practice teams. That's all.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
I wonder if there's still anyone saying Mihm is a better option at Center than Kwame?

You know what, we're gonna need both. Mihm covers the things Kwame can't do: low post scoring & blocking. Kwame switches better on pick and rolls and can play post defense well. Both rebound.

If Mihm can't make it in time it may be time to worry. He's had all summer to recover and still isn't back?

Only positive spin is Bynum can step in and show what's up.
jbjb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
Ataris_PunK wrote:

and some other people should read the WHOLE post - i am basing this possibility only IF Mihm is "inactive" and McKie is bought out, meaning Mihm would of course be on the roster but "inactive" and another spot would be open because of McKie being gone.....

Mihm being "inactive" does NOT open up a roster spot. So who do you give up for him? Pinnock? Green? Even with McKie gone M'diaye has to beat out one of them. Neither Douthit or N'diaye have a snowball's chance in ... of making this team.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Ataris_PunK wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:
Ataris_PunK wrote:

Who do you cut then?

well, other than McKie (??) i also don't see Wafer having much of a future or at least not yet anyway and even though Pinnock has talent i don't really see him beating out any of the other established guards either and same goes for Douthit with the bigs

Green however is still a chance IMHO to make the extended roster with Farmar and possibly have both playing in the NBDL with the D-Fenders (maybe even Ronny too at times?)

i mean when Mihm is right to play, N'diaye would be "inactive" in order to keep Bynum and Turiaf getting minutes

Last edited by LakeShow06 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

jbjb wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:
Ataris_PunK wrote:

and some other people should read the WHOLE post - i am basing this possibility only IF Mihm is "inactive" and McKie is bought out, meaning Mihm would of course be on the roster but "inactive" and another spot would be open because of McKie being gone.....

Mihm being "inactive" does NOT open up a roster spot. So who do you give up for him? Pinnock? Green? Even with McKie gone M'diaye has to beat out one of them. Neither Douthit or N'diaye have a snowball's chance in ... of making this team.

I would go a step further and say they are a lock to not make the team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: