What is better for an NBA/Lakers fan...Direct TV, Dish or Time Warner?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

LOL it just so happens that I own a call-center for Dish Network and DirecTV.

I'm not gonna tell you what to get, but Dish is a little Cheaper.

I cant do anything about the monthly, cause thats Dish or DirecTV's prices. But I can hook you up with the start-up (eg: waive the activation or with DTV get the DVR for only $50, instead of what DTV charges ($99).

But thats on you.

Call my office tomorrow 877-NO-2-CABLE.

ask for Das.

Its not shameless advertising, I just want to help you out. Cause if you call Dish and DTV directly, they would charge you activation or shipping and handling. But with us, we can waive those for you.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:

DAS - maybe you can call Dishnetwork for me and have them install my dish PROPERLY. The idiot who originally set the base/post/dish in the ground did so with only about half a bag of quick-set concrete. In sandy soil. So the whole thing moves around so that about half the time only half my channels come in. After hours of the run-around from the idiot dishnetwork techs, nothing has been solved. Although for $100 they'll send someone out to repoint the dish for me. But not fix the root of the problem. I'm so steamed I'll probably cancel and go with Directv.

Jake Speed, 1986
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Das or anyone - Are there any current deals on upgrading to the DirecTV HD DVR box?
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject:

If you're interested in quality, the general concensus is Direct TV over Dish. Quality really starts to become an issue when you enter the big screen world. I have had both and definitely side with Direct TV.

As for package deals, not to slam on Das, but you should never have to pay for a standard definition tivo anymore. I see deals all the time through both companies for a free 40 (and 80) hour tivo. Additionally, they will ALWAYS install it for free if you're a new subscriber. Heck, I got mine installed for free when I upgraded from a standard definition tivo, to an HD tivo! Of course I had to sign a new 1 year contract, but I had no problems doing that.

Dancing Barry... The HD tivo has dropped in price. It started at $1,000. Dropped to $800. Dropped again to $500. I scored my for $400. They are now down to $200 with a new activation ($300 minus the $100 mail-in rebate). You however want an upgrade (at least it sounds like it). If you are no longer under contract, you should call them and use that as a bargaining chip. More than likely you will be able to the $200 HD DVR.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Das or anyone - Are there any current deals on upgrading to the DirecTV HD DVR box?

Go to http://www.avsforum.com Find the HDTV Area under the main forums, click on that and look for the HD DVR subforum. Read the last few pages of the topic on the HR20, and you will find customer retention numbers to call and get an idea of what others have been able to accomplish in the way of special deals.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
DAS - maybe you can call Dishnetwork for me and have them install my dish PROPERLY. The idiot who originally set the base/post/dish in the ground did so with only about half a bag of quick-set concrete. In sandy soil. So the whole thing moves around so that about half the time only half my channels come in. After hours of the run-around from the idiot dishnetwork techs, nothing has been solved. Although for $100 they'll send someone out to repoint the dish for me. But not fix the root of the problem. I'm so steamed I'll probably cancel and go with Directv.

WOW! You gotta jump on them. Talk to a supervisor, whatever it takes, there should be no charge. You are not getting acceptable service, tell them to get their butts out there and fix it. If they play games with you and talk about $100 charges, tell them you will cancel OR file a complaint with the BBB.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:

CorkyTomjanovich wrote:
TEEGUNN wrote:

WOW! You gotta jump on them. Talk to a supervisor, whatever it takes, there should be no charge. You are not getting acceptable service, tell them to get their butts out there and fix it. If they play games with you and talk about $100 charges, tell them you will cancel OR file a complaint with the BBB.

I have already spent HOURS on the phone with them, sent and received several emails, talked to managers, etc. All they do is give a standard BS statement. In the past whenever I have had a problem or complaint, they eventually took care of it after I threatened to go over to DirecTV. This time, they don't even acknowledge that I have said that several times on the phone or in emails. Just standard BS responses. I haven't decided what to do yet, as they already charged me for one third of the NBA league pass. And I have direct bill payment out of my account, so it's already been paid. If it wasn't for that I would have dropped their azzes yesterday.

Jake Speed, 1986
bko32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:

I just signed up for Direct TV a couple of weeks ago. I paid $299 for the new HR20 HD DVR. There's a $100 rebate that I have yet to claim, but once I do that, the total cost will be $199. With the new HR20, I'm told that I'll be able to receive all the local channels in my area (Phoenix) in HD free of charge. I'm waiting for my bill to see if this is true or not. Also, when I signed up, I got all the largest channel package that they offer inculding HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc, the HD package, and the NFL package for $59.99/month for 4 months (this typically cost over $100 to get all the channels). After the 4 months is up, I'll downgrade my package to something cheaper, but for now, it's a great deal. Also, after the 4 months are up, I'll get to keep the NFL package even if I downgrade to a lesser channel package. I wish I would have thought to ask for NBA League Pass rather than the NFL Package. I wonder if they would have given me League Pass if I would have asked for it instead.

As for the Fox Sports channels, don't bother signing up with any cable or satellite companies' sports package. Most channels are blacked out when a game starts, so you basically wind up paying for all the random shows that come on those channels that you probably don't really care for, rather than the actual games.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

The cost of cable TV is truly staggering
I pretty much only watch TV for news during crisis and occasionally to watch sports.
Perhaps those of you who watch TV more than I do can justify the cost but I think it's a freakin rip off.
halosage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

The best bet would be Dishnetwork....imo

Because in DirecTV you have to buy the HD box...well in my area(Ventura County).

I had Adelphia....Time Warner Cable bought them out.

I just got the NEW channel lineup and packages for cable.

I will save about 30 dollars from what i was paying with adelphia.

I am going to get less channels (ie HSN, SITV, AZN,GSN, SOAPNET etc)

Which I NEVER WATCH!

But i do get in the sports tier.
(College sports TV, FOXSPORTS PACIFIC-Atlantic- Central, NBA TV,
FUEL and other sports channels) for $5 a month.

i am going to check them out for couple of months...since it is month to month....if i don't like it....... i going to dishnetwork.

Plus Time Warner has TNT on HD....which i believe Dishnetwork doesnot have.

Go LAKERS!!!!!
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What is better for an NBA/Lakers fan...Direct TV, Dish or Time Warner?

lionballer7 wrote:
karlmalonefan wrote:
lionballer7 wrote:
I just got off the phone with Direct TV, and they don't offer Fox sports West or Prime Ticket in their 399.99 a month package. They also said that I could add them for 13 bucks and I woudl get other Fox sports regional channel. Its called the sports package. Do these channels show you the NBA games too? IF they do, then thats cheaper than getting League Pass?

Another question, I currently do not have any Dish or cable provider, so should I wait to hook up with one if these companies right before the season starts to see if I get a special on NBA League pass, or ill it not matter?

Help!
Wow did you mean 39.99/month? I hope so! I haven't read any other responses so others may have answered far better than I can, but to answer your first question, you might get some of the games, but the vast majority will be blacked out, except for locally. If they didn't do that, no one would subscribe to League Pass. I have Directv and currently get both the sports package (so I can see Laker pre and post game shows as well as other Laker news---God I miss SoCal sports report!) and I also get League Pass. I don't miss any games that way.

As to your second question, I've had both Dish and Directv and prefer Directv. And yes, if you subscribe closer to the season starting you might get a special promo. I subscribed right before the start of football season, and the promo I got was with the purchase of NFL Sunday Ticket, I got League Pass for free. I also got all the movie channels free for 3 months. Watch for local promotions on tv and also they sometimes telemarket you with offers. Don't blow them off, that's how I subscribed to mine and I got a great deal. They also threw in my Tivo for free (usually a 50 dollar value) plus they gave me up to 4 receivers free ( I only opted for 3).

I've been real happy with what I got. Good luck!

Thanks, much appreciated

BTW, what do you pay a month if you don't mind me asking?
In the neighborhood of 75-85 depending on how many pay per view movies I get. Also, until about a month ago, I got HBO, but I let that go as it wasn't getting watched enough...Add around 40/month when you're paying for the League Passes...My programming is around 46/month then add on the sports pkg + Tivo is 5 per month plus additional receivers are around 5/month...plus taxes, etc. etc. it's never under 75 and has been as much as 120.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject:

CorkyTomjanovich wrote:
Does FSN West show every lakers game??
Depends on if you're in socal or not, probably. I'm not so I usually only get to see the Laker home games on FSNWest and then have to watch the other team's broadcast for road games, which ever feed NBA League Pass uses.

For instance, I don't need any additional channels to see Suns games other than FSArizona and the local UPN channel. They carry all of the team's games except the ones on ABC or TNT. So being in arizona, I can get to hear the home broadcast for all games without League Pass. Not so for Laker games as I'm outside of Socal. I'm at the mercy of whatever feed League Pass chooses to use.

Last edited by karlmalonefan on Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
If you're interested in quality, the general concensus is Direct TV over Dish. Quality really starts to become an issue when you enter the big screen world. I have had both and definitely side with Direct TV.

As for package deals, not to slam on Das, but you should never have to pay for a standard definition tivo anymore. I see deals all the time through both companies for a free 40 (and 80) hour tivo. Additionally, they will ALWAYS install it for free if you're a new subscriber. Heck, I got mine installed for free when I upgraded from a standard definition tivo, to an HD tivo! Of course I had to sign a new 1 year contract, but I had no problems doing that.

Dancing Barry... The HD tivo has dropped in price. It started at $1,000. Dropped to $800. Dropped again to $500. I scored my for $400. They are now down to $200 with a new activation ($300 minus the $100 mail-in rebate). You however want an upgrade (at least it sounds like it). If you are no longer under contract, you should call them and use that as a bargaining chip. More than likely you will be able to the $200 HD DVR.
That was my experience as well. Mine was free...I think with a $50 dollar mail in rebate but I also got a free DVD player...
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:

bko32 wrote:
I just signed up for Direct TV a couple of weeks ago. I paid $299 for the new HR20 HD DVR. There's a $100 rebate that I have yet to claim, but once I do that, the total cost will be $199. With the new HR20, I'm told that I'll be able to receive all the local channels in my area (Phoenix) in HD free of charge. I'm waiting for my bill to see if this is true or not. Also, when I signed up, I got all the largest channel package that they offer inculding HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc, the HD package, and the NFL package for $59.99/month for 4 months (this typically cost over $100 to get all the channels). After the 4 months is up, I'll downgrade my package to something cheaper, but for now, it's a great deal. Also, after the 4 months are up, I'll get to keep the NFL package even if I downgrade to a lesser channel package. I wish I would have thought to ask for NBA League Pass rather than the NFL Package. I wonder if they would have given me League Pass if I would have asked for it instead.

As for the Fox Sports channels, don't bother signing up with any cable or satellite companies' sports package. Most channels are blacked out when a game starts, so you basically wind up paying for all the random shows that come on those channels that you probably don't really care for, rather than the actual games.
This is true if you don't also have league pass...and there aren't any random shows on when a game is blacked out. When a game is blacked out, it's literally a black screen with the message this program is not available in your area at the bottom. At least that's my experience.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

I have a nice little package with Charter Cable. Digital Cable, Telephone service and high speed internet (10 mbps) which I love.
Melon Tea
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Das wrote:
LOL it just so happens that I own a call-center for Dish Network and DirecTV.

I'm not gonna tell you what to get, but Dish is a little Cheaper.

I cant do anything about the monthly, cause thats Dish or DirecTV's prices. But I can hook you up with the start-up (eg: waive the activation or with DTV get the DVR for only $50, instead of what DTV charges ($99).

But thats on you.

Call my office tomorrow 877-NO-2-CABLE.

ask for Das.

Its not shameless advertising, I just want to help you out. Cause if you call Dish and DTV directly, they would charge you activation or shipping and handling. But with us, we can waive those for you.
haha gettin some busiinesss =P
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

does everyone in LA with time warner have nba-tv? i use to have adelphia which did not have nba-tv. but now that they have been bought out by TW i have been patiently waiting for nba-tv. anyone else in the same boat?
JediRekal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

bko32 wrote:

I got the same package recently and IT IS the BEST deal on the market! Every channel you can think of for only $59.99! Then just go down to the regular 155 channel line-up after the four months and it will be $49.99. In order to get this deal they have to give you two seperate $10.00 credits a month for the first 15 months. To get the credits just say that you are switching from cable and they will give you the credits. I have a number you can call for set-up and if you call that number I get $100... I will give anyone who signs up with my number $50. PM me
bko32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
bko32 wrote:

This is true if you don't also have league pass...and there aren't any random shows on when a game is blacked out. When a game is blacked out, it's literally a black screen with the message this program is not available in your area at the bottom. At least that's my experience.

yeah, you're right, there aren't any random shows on if a scheduled game is supposed to be showing...just a black screen.

also, for those who are trying to decide between dish network or directv, i had dish for about 3 years and just switched to directv and would recommend directv. programming is roughly the same, but the the quality of the receiver is much better, imo.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject:

CorkyTomjanovich wrote:
Does FSN West show every lakers game??

No. FSN shows the home games that neither TNT nor ABC have exclusive rights to. KCAL show the away games that neither TNT nor ABC have exclusive rights to.

I believe the only games TNT has exclusive rights to are the ones they show on Thursday nights. ABC's games are usually on Sundays and holidays, and they don't start showing NBA games until the end of December.

At least that's how it's worked in the past.
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:

Yes that what sucks about Dish Network. They charge for trip charge of $99. I wish I was a tech and I'd do it for you for free, but I sub-contract all my dish install. PM me your info so I can call them and ask for a favor. I would need your Phone Number and your name so I can tell them. I'll see what I can do for you.

Last edited by Das on Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

DB,

But I'll find out for you tomorrow if there's any current deal for upgrading.

Sorry I just got back to you on this right now, I've been really busy at work.
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
If you're interested in quality, the general concensus is Direct TV over Dish. Quality really starts to become an issue when you enter the big screen world. I have had both and definitely side with Direct TV. (I agree with you, DTV's picture is a lot better, I have to have both of them at my office and I can tell the difference between the 2 side by side. If you're willing to pay a little extra, DTV is better, but if you want to save a little bit of money, Dish is better).
As for package deals, not to slam on Das, but you should never have to pay for a standard definition tivo anymore. I see deals all the time through both companies for a free 40 (and 80) hour tivo. (DVR is free after $99 mail in rebate, what I was offering was you pay only $50 and you still get $99 rebate. So you gain $50, with Dish you get a DVR thats good for 2 TV's and you don't have to pay for anything but the monthly DVR fee's. Its the same price as DTV) Additionally, they will ALWAYS install it for free if you're a new subscriber. Heck, I got mine installed for free when I upgraded from a standard definition tivo, to an HD tivo! Of course I had to sign a new 1 year contract, but I had no problems doing that.

Dancing Barry... The HD tivo has dropped in price. It started at $1,000. Dropped to $800. Dropped again to $500. I scored my for $400. They are now down to $200 with a new activation ($300 minus the $100 mail-in rebate). You however want an upgrade (at least it sounds like it). If you are no longer under contract, you should call them and use that as a bargaining chip. More than likely you will be able to the $200 HD DVR. (Do what he says, just call DTV and tell them you're cancelling and they'll work with you)

BTW, DTV is coming out with XBOX receivers. Microsoft and DTV made a deal and it should be available soon. I think that would be awesome.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Hi-Def

Watching the Lakers in 1080 Hi-Def is excuse enough to purchase a HDTV. I got a HDTV for my BD and all I can say is WOW -- The Lakers game on TNT-HDTV was awesome.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: