7 Foot 9 Sun Ming Ming Hopes To Play In The NBA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: 7 Foot 9 Sun Ming Ming Hopes To Play In The NBA

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/061009/061009_ming2_vmed_2p.widec.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/061009/061009_ming_hsmall_2p.standard.jpg

At nearly 7-foot-9, with size 19 feet, Chinese basketball player Sun Ming Ming dreams of joining the NBA.

But what has made him so tall and given him dreams of following his countryman Yao Ming into the U.S. professional ranks was also a threat to his life.

A tumor at the base of his skull was pressing on his pituitary gland and making him grow, and had to be surgically removed last year. Without the surgery, he faced the possibility of heart failure and early death. A tiny piece of tumor remains.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15199095/

Remember this guy? I remember people on LG was talking about him last year or the year before. Think he could be Chris' replacement?
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject:

geebus, he holds a normal basketball easier than i can hold a mini-basketball
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

GODD DAYUMMMM LOOK AT THE WAY HE HOLDS THE BALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject:

HOLY S!!!! Is that real???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:

he's massive.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

would like to him play some China NT games, ncaa or euroleague before going to the NBA only on a size basis.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:

Look at this guy try to guard him. The guy is 6'11. Yet he looks like like a foot shorter.

link
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
Look at this guy try to guard him. The guy is 6'11. Yet he looks like like a foot shorter.

link

that is photshopped.....
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:

DO IT MITCH!!!!

Wait... brain tumor.... :roll:
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:

This dude would be a complete waste for a myriad of reasons, here's a few:

- Overall Health Concerns
- Leg/Knee/Feet Problems that plague ALL big men - Now imagine them at 7'9
- Not aggressive enough to dominate due to his culture he was brought up in (See Yao)

He'd be a sideshow basically.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:

- Not aggressive enough to dominate due to his culture he was brought up in (See Yao)

Wow,... nothing like generalizing...
Melon Tea
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

his arms look short, but i guess his height makes up for it

sounds like this guy has a lot of heart
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Is that really generalizing? The Chinese don't preach "aggressive/mean streak athlete" nor do they teach it, it's just not a part of their culture. The Chinese culture doesn't rely on sports as a means "up and out" of poverty like a lot of Americans do, so there is no "dog-eat-dog" mentality in them like you see in American athletes.

But if you have an example to dispute that, I more than welcome it.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject:

another bruno sundov
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:

Save Sun Ming Ming.com

Look at the GIF of him dunking, I swear his feet don't even come off the floor! Ming Ming Dunking
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Is that really generalizing? The Chinese don't preach "aggressive/mean streak athlete" nor do they teach it, it's just not a part of their culture. The Chinese culture doesn't rely on sports as a means "up and out" of poverty like a lot of Americans do, so there is no "dog-eat-dog" mentality in them like you see in American athletes.

So I guess Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, was just a bunch of Chinese college kids having a good time. Protesting when you know you most likely you will lose your life is very 'non-aggressive'.

China only 32 gold medal in the last summer olympics, second only to the USAs 36,.. I guess they got them by being 'non-aggressive' too.

As for a mean of 'upward mobility', they, the Chinese live under a very oppressive government. Most don't have the opportunity to use sports as away out of proverty.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:

I don't agree too much with the generalization on the Chinese
The chinese league sucks, though and he must have a truly competitve environment before going straight to the NBA.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

So I guess Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, was just a bunch of Chinese college kids having a good time. Protesting when you know you most likely you will lose your life is very 'non-aggressive'.

China only 32 gold medal in the last summer olympics, second only to the USAs 36,.. I guess they got them by being 'non-aggressive' too.

As for a mean of 'upward mobility', they, the Chinese live under a very oppressive government. Most don't have the opportunity to use sports as away out of proverty.

We're talking sports and you bring up Tienamen Square? Why? What sport was that?

Gold medals in what? Table Tennis, Tennis, Badminton, Shooting, Diving, Tennis, Kayaking, and Volleyball was where most of their medals were won. Last I checked, those weren't events that required a "mean-streak."

And you proved my point with the "oppressive conditions" - Their lives are dependent on the Communist regime, so they don't have the haves and the have-nots like there are in Democratic countries, which means there's no need for anyone to bust out and be "The man" in their society. It's all "shared."
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

We're talking sports and you bring up Tienamen Square? Why? What sport was that?

Gold medals in what? Table Tennis, Tennis, Badminton, Shooting, Diving, Tennis, Kayaking, and Volleyball was where most of their medals were won. Last I checked, those weren't events that required a "mean-streak."

And you proved my point with the "oppressive conditions" - Their lives are dependent on the Communist regime, so they don't have the haves and the have-nots like there are in Democratic countries, which means there's no need for anyone to bust out and be "The man" in their society. It's all "shared."

You made a generalize about Chinese people and culture (not just atheletes)... I simply gave you examples where that's not the case both inside and outside of sports. And if you think only sports like basketball and football, etc., are the ones were 'you get fired up, amp'd, or have mean-streak' then we can end this conversation right now (does Tiger Woods have 'mean-streak', he plays golf; same in tennis with Federer and Williams sisters).

Culture and 'oppressive conditions' are not the same thing. I very well may have strong desire to play basketball, but under that government, I may not be given the opprotunity to play. That does not mean I'm passive or I'm not an aggressive/mean streak athlete.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

You made a generalize about Chinese people and culture (not just atheletes)... I simply gave you examples where that's not the case both inside and outside of sports. And if you think only sports like basketball and football are the ones were 'you get fired up, amp'd, or have mean-streak' then we can end this conversation right now (does Tiger Woods have 'mean-streak', he plays golf; same in tennis with Ferder and Williams sisters).

Culture and 'oppressive conditions' are not the same thing. I very well may have strong desire to play basketball, but under that government, I may not be given the opprotunity to play. That does not mean I'm passive or I'm not an aggressive/mean streak athlete.

So you need a MEAN STREAK to win at golf? No. You need FOCUS to win at golf. Maybe you just don't understand what a "Mean streak" is, so it's cool. We'll end this convo here.

Their culture is also formed due to oppressive conditions, so they ARE related.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
So you need a MEAN STREAK to win at golf? No. You need FOCUS to win at golf. Maybe you just don't understand what a "Mean streak" is, so it's cool. We'll end this convo here.

Most golf experts would same Tiger Woods has a 'mean-streak' and is 'aggressive' (the word you original used) when he plays golf. I guess they are wrong, or don't know the definition. Also, the Chinese always medal seem to medal in Judo and Taekwondo... two more non-aggressive/non-mean-streak sports.

How many chinese athletes do you know? Never mind....

Either way... nice conversating with you...
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Most golf experts would same Tiger Woods has a 'mean-streak' and is 'aggressive' (the word you original used) when he plays golf. I guess they are wrong, or don't know the definition. Also, the Chinese always medal seem to medal in Judo and Taekwondo... two more non-aggressive/non-mean-streak sports.

Well, I'd need the names of those "so-called" experts and proof they said that. So if you have those names, please post them.

And the Chinese martial arts are considered to be about self-awareness, spiritual, meditation, relaxation and balance of health WAY before they are meant to be "agrgressive." The misconception with Martial Arts is that people take what they see from the movies and think THAT'S what it's all about.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Well, I'd need the names of those "so-called" experts and proof they said that. So if you have those names, please post them.

And the Chinese martial arts are considered to be about self-awareness, spiritual, meditation, relaxation and balance of health WAY before they are meant to be "agrgressive." The misconception with Martial Arts is that people take what they see from the movies and think THAT'S what it's all about.
Judo originated in Japan, and Taekwondo in Koera. Either way, aggression, be it control, is a part of both. Aggression or aggresive being the word you used originally.

Peace...
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

^^^ You did bring up Yao Ming though. And he was indeed somewhat passive as he was learning his way through the American game his first few years. He'll never be as aggressive as say Shaq, but based on what we saw of the progress in his game last year, I don't think it's a reason to hold a strike against Chinese players. Besides which, there are plenty non-aggressive American players.

But yeah, I agree, this dude would be a side-show. He seems like a non-athletic stiff. A lesser-athletic Manute - just too big to have the kind of coordination it takes to excel in the league.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Judo originated in Japan, and Taekwondo in Koera. Either way, aggression, be it control, is a part of both. Aggression or aggresive being the word you used originally.

Peace...

I was speaking on Chinese so naturally I used Chinese Martial Arts as an example and they don't preach "aggression" in their arts as I stated above.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: