Laker win the championship in 2008 for sure.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
Getting waaaaaaaaayy ahead of ourselves. I know the feel-good high of two pre-season wins is addictive, but a dose of realisim here and there can be a good thing.

Getting way ahead of ourselves or forseeing the plan that the Lakers front office had when they dealt Shaq away? I usually like your posts TEEGUNN but it seems to me that lately you have been on a "shot of realism" mission and your set on kill.

Personally I think it is absolutely possible to have a championship calibur team by next year. Most of us can see it. Nothing wrong with saying it.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

kobesNBA wrote:
TEEGUNN wrote:
Getting waaaaaaaaayy ahead of ourselves. I know the feel-good high of two pre-season wins is addictive, but a dose of realisim here and there can be a good thing.

Getting way ahead of ourselves or forseeing the plan that the Lakers front office had when they dealt Shaq away? I usually like your posts TEEGUNN but it seems to me that lately you have been on a "shot of realism" mission and your set on kill.

Personally I think it is absolutely possible to have a championship calibur team by next year. Most of us can see it. Nothing wrong with saying it.

Yep. There's a difference between realist and pessimist. Lakers are very close to winning it all.

We
Have
Kobe

People take it for granted. There will never be another Kobe. Dont underestimate your own legend. Don't look back and only then appreciate him.

We're not very far away.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:

2 years ago, the feel-good high of 5 or 6 pre-season wins had the majority of people on the board predicting 55+ wins & a championship season. That team finished below .500.
This team is better then last year, but it's probably a 47-49 win team.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Great to see the Heat fans are back.

Anytime a team has Kobe Bryant on the roster and Phil Jackson coaching, ANYTHING can happen. Look at the Suns series, noone in the NBA would have guess that the Lakers would be up 3-1 and do it convincingly.

At the same time, realistically a 45 win team doesn't go to a championship the next season. Ussually it takes a couple of 50+ win season's and playoff experience for the team to finally get over the hump. I'd say 2008 is possible, but in order for that to be the year the Lakers would need to have a 50+ win season this year as well as atleast 2 rounds of playoff advancement. Along with that developpment of Bynum, Farmar, Radmanovic and Kwame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Ataris_PunK wrote:
kobesNBA wrote:
TEEGUNN wrote:

Yep. There's a difference between realist and pessimist. Lakers are very close to winning it all.

We
Have
Kobe

People take it for granted. There will never be another Kobe. Dont underestimate your own legend. Don't look back and only then appreciate him.

We're not very far away.

There is nothing wrong with being cautiously optimistic, is there?

Yes, we do have Kobe. What we have to see ON THE COSTISTENT BASIS is this team:
1. Beating the teams they should beat (blowing them out).
2. Beating the teams that are "powerhouses" in their own gyms.

Again, on consistent basis...

Lets' wait until the season starts. Time will tell, as it always does.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
TEEGUNN wrote:

2 years ago, the feel-good high of 5 or 6 pre-season wins had the majority of people on the board predicting 55+ wins & a championship season. That team finished below .500.
This team is better then last year, but it's probably a 47-49 win team.

I agree, and gone on record saying they'll land somewhere between 45 and 49. If they hit 50 or more Jason/LG will be $100 richer.

Jake Speed, 1986
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject:

kobesNBA wrote:
TEEGUNN wrote:

Not trying to be pompous, but I do think that expecting a bling in the next two years is being over zealous. And I do think this time of year lots of people have that excitement that comes with pre-season and the season nearing. It's pretty natural, actually.

Jake Speed, 1986
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:

To EXPECT is getting ahead of ourselves. To rule everything out like a god who knows the future, that is Sky's job.

When you have Bryant and Jackson along with a talented forward like Odom - you aren't that far off to begin with.

I'm not expecting a ring, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Lakers are competing for one next season. It will depend alot on certain talent developping.

This thread is probably just as far fetched as those who say it's not happening. Neither is any more right than the other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Any more right?? Or any more likely? Big difference. Nothing wrong with a difference of opinions though. MY opinion is that is it very unlikely we will be competing for a ring these next two seasons. But keep in mind I have the same dream for this team as everyone else - bling baby.

Jake Speed, 1986
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
Any more right?? Or any more likely? Big difference. Nothing wrong with a difference of opinions though. MY opinion is that is it very unlikely we will be competing for a ring these next two seasons. But keep in mind I have the same dream for this team as everyone else - bling baby.

Not doubting that with you. I know you want to the Lakers winning, peroid.

All I'm saying is that to rule it out completely is just as out there as some are making this thread's statement. Who know's what happens with this team under Phil and led by Kobe+Odom. We can't say what will happen in the next 2 years with Farmar, Bynum, Kwame and Radmanovic (expected core players).

I don't expect a ring, but I think to dismiss it is just as out there as predicting it will happen.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:

for some reason you failed to mention the team that pops in my mind when i think about 2007/8 - the bulls.
we have nothing on them in terms of pottential, and probably in terms of present as well.
a team people tend to disregard, but that will change by next summer - trust me.

also - who knows just how good lebron becomes by that time ? at the rate he's going at - its a frightening thought. a good offseason for the cavs next summer - and anything can happen.

and the other dark horse people don't pay attention to are the rockets.
if theyr'e healthy and make the right offseason moves - forget it.
in two years bynum may be a solid back up. yao will be the best center in the league by far at that time.

lets not get ahead of ourselves. it is possible for the lakers to put together a title team in 2007/8, but this hope is depended on mitch making some very good moves for us - probably trades.
i'm not sure a free agent signing would be enough to make us champions 1 year from now.

our most talented young players will still be too young(farmar and bynum), and the great depth we have doesn't win titles. we'll need at least one good quantity for quality trade, and then with current development and one solid f.a. acquisition next summer - we can have a chance.
needless to say - either the free agent or more probably the trade target (or both) will have to be veterans. that will complete the championship puzzle.

so bottom line - i think that two major contributers to the lakers' pottential 2007/8 title team are currently not part of the laker roster.

i don't think anything else will be good enough.
we may have enough talent with this current team, but 2007/8 is too soon for that talent to reach title impact.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:

On of your more fair posts, David.

Here's what I disagree with.

Quote:
our most talented young players will still be too young(farmar and bynum),

Bynum, yes. He needed 2-3 years of college to be "pro ready". Expect him to take atleast that long with the Lakers.
Farmar? Already pro ready. Starter worthy? Maybe not now, but in a year? Absolutely.

Farmar may (emphasis on the may part) be that one player you are talking about the Lakers needing. The other could (emphasis on could not will) be another player within the current ranks. Kwame or Radmanovic reaching their potential as a Laker would help trumendously.

One of the hardest things to determine about a young, unproven, developping team is that they have many players that are still not a known commodity in the NBA. Who knows where they will end up as players.

And no matter what people say,- I know this for sure - any team with Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson have a big advantage in terms of coaching and finishing games. The league's most dominant scorer along with a coach that has shown he can outcoach anyone (not that he's perfect) can not be taken lightly.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject:

24isjoking23 wrote:
Quote:
PG is E.Jones !!!!!!!!!!?

I will be very surprise about that.

I would also...

I really think that either Pinnock or Green WILL be better players IN 2 YEARS than Eddie WILL BE IN 2 YEARS...

It's simple math Pinnock and/or Green will have 2 years of maturity and THAT MUCH BETTER while Eddie will have 2 more years OLDER at 37 YEARS OF AGE.

Of course there is just one problem right now, these two players may not make the Laker team and be playing somewhere else simply because they are not quit ready to be impact players this year.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject:

tw-lakbfan wrote:
Are you kidding me? I'm hoping for the title this season. 8)

Shoot, that's NOTHIN', I'm soooooo optimistic, I think we have a shot at winning it all LAST season!!!
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:

well wolf, i'll ignore the "fair" reference you made, although i am ten times more fair than your average lg homer, and not afraid or ashamed to be one.

anyway, can farmar play in the nba in 1 year's time ?
defenetly looks like it.

but we are not talking about "playing", or even playing well.
we are talking about winning it all.
i will be shocked if farmar would be good enough to do that in a year. just getting the playing time this year won't be as easy as some may think. just read emplay reminding us of t. brown a couple of years ago...

i think there is a huge difference between contributing -even bynum might be able to contribute - defenetly as a back up, another 6 fouls and some shot blocking in 2007/8 - and championship caliber play.

when the lakers build their roster next summer, planning to try and win a title that coming year - it is exremely doubtfull they'll view farmar as the clear starter for that attempt at a title. he'll have to have an increadible 2006/7 season for that to happen.
he could eventualy earn that spot in 2007/8, but i don't think he will because the lakers will make sure there is a starting caliber point guard on the roster with him - my guess an mle acquisition.

i still say two major contributers are currently not lakers - if we are to win in 2007/8.

looking ahead, my hope is that our guard rotation next summer will consist of an mle starter, farmar back up, and sasha as a 5th guard behind our pg's, kobe, and mo evans.

that right there leaves you with shammond and smush (s+t) as assets for front court upgrades (along with cook, mihm, 1st rd pick, etc) - to get that second veteran.

obviously i would love for farmar to be ready, but there is a little too much hype going around about his chances of being ready in such a short time. at least two pg's in this year's draft - rondo and williams, have looked even more impressive than farmar so far this offseason, but you don't hear people talking them up as being ready to start for a championship team in 1 year's time..
too much "home" excitment if you ask me.
at least untill we see what he can do against real competition, and whether or not phil even gives him the chance...

i think its much more realistic to hope he can become a great back up for a 2007/8 title team (which would already make him a very good pg at that stage), and it would still mean he's on pace to become a great starter for us - hopefully one year later.
i know people think big men take a lot of time to develop, but i think the hardest position to learn as a young player is pg.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Ataris_PunK wrote:

People were talking about Western COnference finals last year without Mihm and Bynum. How is this any more of a stretch?

People can talk about going 82-0 and it don't mean squat. How close did they come to the WCF last season? Further proof that talking means absolutely nothing.

I stand by my prediction when Shaq was traded, that the team will at least be a serious title contender by 2009-2010.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
for some reason you failed to mention the team that pops in my mind when i think about 2007/8 - the bulls.
we have nothing on them in terms of pottential, and probably in terms of present as well.
a team people tend to disregard, but that will change by next summer - trust me.

also - who knows just how good lebron becomes by that time ? at the rate he's going at - its a frightening thought. a good offseason for the cavs next summer - and anything can happen.

in two years bynum may be a solid back up. yao will be the best center in the league by far at that time.

The Lakers could win it all next season, if players developed properly and we had a decent off season. Winning a title relies on so many things though, you need luck, to stay healthy, to peak at the right time, etc. It's not an easy prospect. I did want to comment on the other teams though:

Everyone is high on the Bulls, Big Ben was a monster addition. P.J. gives them a tough player for at least this season... But let's not forget that they lost Curry and Chandler in the past two seasons. Ben Gordon is extremely overrated, he can score and nothing else. Deng, Henrich and Nocioni are good young players, but Heinrich is probalby peaked already, his stats have been virtually identical the past two seasons and he is 25 already. Deng is only 20, he should continue to improve, but swingmen are a dime a dozen. Nocioni had a nice decent season last year, but I think a lot of people don't realize that he is 27 already. When we're talking about the baby bulls growing up, we've been hearing that for 5 years. They have a lot of good or decent young players, but no great ones. Their big veteran additions in P.J. and Wallace are not the players they once were, but they are still good. P.J. turned 37 yesterday though, and last seasons 9 points and 7.3 rebounds was his worst productivity in 11 years, down from 10.8 points and 9 rebounds the season before. Big Ben may have won another defensive player of the year last season, but his rebounding average was the lowest it had been since his days in Orlando (6 years ago), he averaged more rebounds per game even back then, and was a whole rebound less than any other previous seasons numbers. His scoring average was the lowest it had been in 3 serasons, his blocks were the lowest they had been since his days in Orlando, and his blocks per minute was the lowest since his rookie season. He is 32 years old with a 4 year contract. It's safe to say that his numbers will continue to decline. The Bulls made a bold change this season, in essence they decided that they had enough young players, it was time to go for a title. Nocioni and P.J. are free agents after this season, which will free up some cap space if they don't re-sign, but they will need to pick up the options on Hinrich and Sweetney if they want to keep them from becoming unrestricted the following season. So the Bulls are probably not in as good a position as you would think.

The Cavs made their moves last season in an effort to keep Lebron in town... But they didn't really pan out. Hughes has been a bad fit, Ilgauskus is getting older and making big money. Damon Jones and Donyell Marshall were disapointing. Gooden got his new contract, but is coming off a down year. Despite being praised as making his teammates better, all of his teammates appear to be worse off with Lebron than without by the numbers. Lebron is still young and improving, but he won't be able to do it all by himself.

Houston though, had a very good off-season. But they have for the past three seasons. We've been hearing Houston's name talked about since they got McGrady, but the cold hard truth is... T-Mac is a loser. He's a talented player, but he is a loser. He has been on some decent teams and never made it past the first round. The growth of Yao combined with T-Mac will keep them in contention of they can find some good pieces who can mesh together and stay healthy. But the comparisons to Kobe and Shaq are way off. Yao will probably be the best center in the league this season with Shaq's skills eroding, but he will be so far inferior to the level that Shaq played at in his peak, that it isn't funny. T-Mac offensively is similar to Kobe during our championship seasons, but he is not on par defensively. They have some other talent on their squad, but they are going to have to prove that they can play as a team or they aren't going anywhere.

Not that the Lakers aren't without their own holes. A lot of our success is going to rely on Lamar Odom's consistancy, Kwame and Bynum's growth and discovering whether or not Radmanovic and Farmar are good triangle fits.

There are a lot of very good teams at the moment, but there is also a lot of parity. I think the league is wide open right now.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject:

Wow, great posts - good thread. I think that our CURRENT starters are good enough, and will show improvement enough to limit the amount or time Farmar and Bynum plays early this season. But at the end of this year, and all of next year, they'll both get some time. Phil has shown that he will play GOOD young players (Pippen and HoGrant to name 2). But even if neither starts, Phil will FINISH with whoever is playing the best. Farmar and Bynum both bring skills that were lacking from last years lineup. Those skills may be especially valuable in the playoffs. Both seem to have impressed their coaches (Phil said he wanted more minutes for Bynum down the stretch LAST year). They are clearly starters in the future, it's just a matter of time.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
davidse wrote:

The Lakers could win it all next season, if players developed properly and we had a decent off season. Winning a title relies on so many things though, you need luck, to stay healthy, to peak at the right time, etc. It's not an easy prospect. I did want to comment on the other teams though:

Everyone is high on the Bulls, Big Ben was a monster addition. P.J. gives them a tough player for at least this season... But let's not forget that they lost Curry and Chandler in the past two seasons. Ben Gordon is extremely overrated, he can score and nothing else. Deng, Henrich and Nocioni are good young players, but Heinrich is probalby peaked already, his stats have been virtually identical the past two seasons and he is 25 already. Deng is only 20, he should continue to improve, but swingmen are a dime a dozen. Nocioni had a nice decent season last year, but I think a lot of people don't realize that he is 27 already. When we're talking about the baby bulls growing up, we've been hearing that for 5 years. They have a lot of good or decent young players, but no great ones. Their big veteran additions in P.J. and Wallace are not the players they once were, but they are still good. P.J. turned 37 yesterday though, and last seasons 9 points and 7.3 rebounds was his worst productivity in 11 years, down from 10.8 points and 9 rebounds the season before. Big Ben may have won another defensive player of the year last season, but his rebounding average was the lowest it had been since his days in Orlando (6 years ago), he averaged more rebounds per game even back then, and was a whole rebound less than any other previous seasons numbers. His scoring average was the lowest it had been in 3 serasons, his blocks were the lowest they had been since his days in Orlando, and his blocks per minute was the lowest since his rookie season. He is 32 years old with a 4 year contract. It's safe to say that his numbers will continue to decline. The Bulls made a bold change this season, in essence they decided that they had enough young players, it was time to go for a title. Nocioni and P.J. are free agents after this season, which will free up some cap space if they don't re-sign, but they will need to pick up the options on Hinrich and Sweetney if they want to keep them from becoming unrestricted the following season. So the Bulls are probably not in as good a position as you would think.

The Cavs made their moves last season in an effort to keep Lebron in town... But they didn't really pan out. Hughes has been a bad fit, Ilgauskus is getting older and making big money. Damon Jones and Donyell Marshall were disapointing. Gooden got his new contract, but is coming off a down year. Despite being praised as making his teammates better, all of his teammates appear to be worse off with Lebron than without by the numbers. Lebron is still young and improving, but he won't be able to do it all by himself.

Houston though, had a very good off-season. But they have for the past three seasons. We've been hearing Houston's name talked about since they got McGrady, but the cold hard truth is... T-Mac is a loser. He's a talented player, but he is a loser. He has been on some decent teams and never made it past the first round. The growth of Yao combined with T-Mac will keep them in contention of they can find some good pieces who can mesh together and stay healthy. But the comparisons to Kobe and Shaq are way off. Yao will probably be the best center in the league this season with Shaq's skills eroding, but he will be so far inferior to the level that Shaq played at in his peak, that it isn't funny. T-Mac offensively is similar to Kobe during our championship seasons, but he is not on par defensively. They have some other talent on their squad, but they are going to have to prove that they can play as a team or they aren't going anywhere.

Not that the Lakers aren't without their own holes. A lot of our success is going to rely on Lamar Odom's consistancy, Kwame and Bynum's growth and discovering whether or not Radmanovic and Farmar are good triangle fits.

There are a lot of very good teams at the moment, but there is also a lot of parity. I think the league is wide open right now.

I love that description of the Bulls all except for the Hinrich has peaked part. Good post tho.
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject:

No offense to any Eddie Jones fans out there, but any team with Eddie on it is not going to win a title, unless he is riding the pine. His dissapearing act during several playoff runs did not go unnoticed by the Lakers brass, and I beleive this is what lead to his demise in Miami. (by Shaq anyway)
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I pray that it be this in 08 when we win it

Drew 10-7(maybe to much)
Kwame 14-8(find his mid-range shot again)
Lamar 17-9-6
Kobe 26-5-5
Farmer 12-4-7
6th man Vlad 10-4
7th man Smush 8-3-3
8th man Ronny 5-4
cirehawk
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
If the Lakers can win a ring then they can win more than one, 3-peat baby.

I agree. I won't predict s 3-peat, but if we win a championship soon (and I think we will, may even pull a shock this year) we will be good for a looong time.
lakers4lyfe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

what about this year???
D Nice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

It's plausible for us to win it in 08-09, but we shouldn't expect it, and that's the earliest i see us winning it.

Farmar needs 2 years to build up his body, get his stroke, and learn to play defense at a high level.

Bynum needs to get his skills to catch up with his body, and become more aware on both ends. No way does this happen in another year. It will take at least 2.

If they can do that within 2 years, I think Kobe/Odom/Vlad starting and Sasha/Evans/Pinnock/Walton/Turiaf/Kwame off the bench will be good enough to win it all. But this is exactly why we need to trade Mihm and give Bynum more minutes, and drop Smush's minutes for Jordan's. THEY NEED PT IF THEY ARE GOING TO IMPROVE!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: