Kobe Bryant promises to "make a conscious effort" to share the ball more
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Excellent. This is the type of blessing in disguise I was talking about when Kobe had to miss camp.

The team is going out there and playing decent. By no means are they a playoff team without Kobe, but they look a hell of a lot better without him now than they did the last 2 years. Just so much more balance in the scoring.

Kobe should make a contious effort to pace himself in November. I don't think he'll be 100% on the court in terms of his jumper and speed. It's the perfect time for him to cut down in his shots and play a more balanced game.

Then, once he's 100%, he can be more aggressive again.

That would be absolutely perfect...

THE_SHOES seal of approval...
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Ah memories remember when Shaq told Kobe that their last year together and it started a big fight.

If that isn't revisionist history I don't know what is... Fact of the matter is that:

- Kobe was on trial for rape, and Shaq never even called him.
- Prior to Shaq, in your words, telling Kobe to share the ball more, Kobe missed the start of camp while handling rape accusations. Reporters asked Shaq what it would be like to have the whole team in camp (with Kobe, he, Malone and Payton) and Shaq responded, "I can't answer that, because the full team is here." That was the first shot of the season, and it happened on the first day of camp.
- Shaq then gave his plea to share the ball more, not to Kobe but through the media. Kobe responded simply that he knows how to play his position, that Shaq should worry about playing center and let him worry about playing guard. Shaq then fired back (all this through the press even though the two were in the same locker room) that he wasn't going to let Kobe "ruin this season, the way he ruined last season". Interesting since the season before Shaq refused to have surgery on "his time", was never in shape, and the Lakers only managed to make the playoffs because of Kobe's amazing string of 35+ games which suddenly put them on a winning streak midway through the season to get above the .500 mark. Then and only then did Kobe go into his tirade, after years of just taking everything Shaq threw at him.

No rewriting history please. Kobe and Shaq's feud started when Kobe was a rookie, and it was about a whole lot more than how often a player shot the ball. In 2002-2003, the two seasons before Shaq made his tirade Kobe averaged 25.2 points and 5.5 assists, then 30 points and 5.9 assists, while shoooting 46.9% and 45.1% from the field. Shaq meanwhile averaged 27.2 points and 3 assists and 27.5 points and 3.1 assists in those two seasons. Kobe was always one of the leagues top assist men from the SHOOTING guard position (whose job is to umm, shoot the ball). Shaq's issues weren't about Kobe sharing the ball, it was about him having to share the spotlight. Even in 2000 when Shaq took 1665 shots and averaged 29.7 points (and 3.8 assists) compared to Kobe's 22.5 points (and 4.9 assists) on only 1183 shots, Shaq had isssues with Kobe's "selfishness".

A lot of people thought when Shaq left that Kobe would go on a huge scoring spree the next season to prove a point. I recall articles at ESPN saying we might expect a return to the mid 80s Jordan. He didn't though he only averaged 27.6 points (on 1178 shots) while dishing 6 aassists per game (thats a mere 20 shots per game, as compared to 27.2 last season). Yet the perception was still that Kobe was a ballhog. It's a perception, that was implanted by Shaq.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject:

OH, NO!!... We all know what happens, when Kobe makes a conscious effort, to share the ball!!... I would rather see Kobe following his natural instincts... Let us witness Kobe's ballhandling... I don't care about hearing about it. I want Kobe's Game to flow, naturally.

I don't want to see Kobe passing up open shots, and forcing passes, which upsets the whole offense!!... The addition of Farmar, I hope, should, eventually, help to smooth the offense out. I'd rather see Farmar distributing the ball, and worrying about who is open. I'd rather have Kobe out on the wing, ready to score, at all times.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Tarzan008 wrote:
You have a weapon such as Kobe you use it. You don't alter who he is, a total scoring machine.

I think when Lebron puts up those consistant 31+ and 7 totals, Kobe and his competitive nature, along with his ego will take over no matter what he thinks now.

Attack mode Kobe with the option of knowing when to pass out of doubles and traps is the best Kobe. Kobe has to be aggressive, but know when to mix it up as well. Help others get involved. But all in all Kobe has to be Kobe.....And we all know which Kobe that should be....

If I am an opposing coach the one thing I would want or hope for is a passive Kobe. Last thing I want is a "Attack mode " Kobe....

ABSOLUTELY!!... Let Kobe do what Kobe does... Others should be doing the majority of the ballhandling, and distributing the ball!! Kobe, just play your game, naturally!!
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Tarzan008 wrote:
You have a weapon such as Kobe you use it. You don't alter who he is, a total scoring machine.

I think when Lebron puts up those consistant 31+ and 7 totals, Kobe and his competitive nature, along with his ego will take over no matter what he thinks now.

Attack mode Kobe with the option of knowing when to pass out of doubles and traps is the best Kobe. Kobe has to be aggressive, but know when to mix it up as well. Help others get involved. But all in all Kobe has to be Kobe.....And we all know which Kobe that should be....

If I am an opposing coach the one thing I would want or hope for is a passive Kobe. Last thing I want is a "Attack mode " Kobe....

Alright, but will it stop the constant whining about Kobe not having any help out there? Get kobe some help while he is in his prime?

My only problem with all Kobe, all the time is that fans will take that to mean that he is on his own out there. Obviously from what we are seeing now, that is not the case.

Kobe sees that he has a team. There is no need for Kobe to have to put 40shots a game. Use the triangle. Kobe can still be da man by taking good high percentage shots. Kobe would be even more scintillating by incorporating his game with his teammates. Kobe has the right mind set going right now, and good for him. Make the others earn there paychecks...

Also if the team waltzes through the preseason beating teams up, and get all pumped up, and confident, it would bring team morale down to a low that may be problem if Kobe comes back to do as some may appreciate, and start losing games. I'm not worried about Kobe doing that, because I think he is smarter than that, but just to address the thread, that is what most likely would take place...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Kobe passing more is like the late great Jerry Garcia letting Bobby do more tunes....

I have to ask why?

Just do what you do baby!

Exactly. You wouldn't ask Barry Bonds to bunt and you wouldn't ask Divinci to try dinner theater. Kobe Bryant is a stone cold scoring killer and he won't forget that.

LOL, I like your style!

I am getting very excited for the season to start.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject:

Asking da Vinci to try dinner theater would be more akin to asking Bonds to return punts, for in as many talents as da Vinci had, dramatist and/or thespian weren't on the list. But I think I get your drift.

Kobe just needs to make the simple play, hit the open man when he (Kobe) is doubled, and hope the guy (unlike the past) can hit a shot. No conscious attempts necessary.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject:

expertla wrote:
I really don't think that Kobe's scoring will suffer that much by involving his teammates more. The more effective scoring options a team has, the harder it is for the defense to focus on one player.

For a long time, I've believed that Kobe could have the type of balance in his game where he could be aggresive and keep his teammates involved at the same time. He has done it for stretches but for whatever reason, he has not done it consistantly over his career. Maybe it is the quality of his teammates. It seems like whenever he decides to make a conscious effort to involve his teammates, he becomes too passive in his own offense. I don't know why that is, but hopefully he can find the proper balance.

If he does, I think he can still average in the mid 30's because even though the quantity of his shot will decrease slightly, the quality will improve and he'll hit a higher percentage of his shots.

I know what you mean expertla. It's going to be a new era with this team for number 24. He's got to make the efficient plays quickly, either score or pass without letting the offense stall.
lakers4lyfe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject:

and still put up his 40-50 point games.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

lakers4lyfe wrote:
and still put up his 40-50 point games.

He can score a hundred points for all I care, as long as they are at a good percentage. The object of the game is having an efficient high percentage offense with a good defense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: