Best Bench in the League
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
ocho wrote:
^^bynum also helped to keep a lot of balls alive tonight and that doesn't show up in the box score.

Yes, that is true. I think he is proving he belongs on the court. I just hope he dedicates himself to improving his rebounding. It will keep him in the game longer, even when the other guys don't find him on the offensive end. Given his work ethic, I see no reason why this won't happen.

But as to the original topic: any team that has Amare (as of now), Barbosa, Banks, and Jumaine Jones on the bench deserves consideration as the best bench in the league.

Banks- Doesnt fit the offense. Overrated man defender.

Barbosa is undersized for the SG. Excellent shooter without any real passing skills.

JJ is a streaky shooter. Can get hot quicky and hurt a team. Rebounds well but doesn't do much else.

Thomas is injury prone and declining.

James Jones- Incredible shooter. Quick. Undersized.

They don't have any realiable SIZE coming off the bench. Just a bunch of microwave players to heat the offense.

Mihm/Bynum
Turiaf/Cook
Radmanovic/Evans
Sasha/Parker
Farmar/Williams

We have some serious depth. Our 3rd unit could probably pass for a bad 2nd unit for some teams.

Suns have no 3rd unit.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Ataris_PunK wrote:
mirak wrote:
ocho wrote:
^^bynum also helped to keep a lot of balls alive tonight and that doesn't show up in the box score.

Yes, that is true. I think he is proving he belongs on the court. I just hope he dedicates himself to improving his rebounding. It will keep him in the game longer, even when the other guys don't find him on the offensive end. Given his work ethic, I see no reason why this won't happen.

But as to the original topic: any team that has Amare (as of now), Barbosa, Banks, and Jumaine Jones on the bench deserves consideration as the best bench in the league.

Banks- Doesnt fit the offense. Overrated man defender.

Barbosa is undersized for the SG. Excellent shooter without any real passing skills.

JJ is a streaky shooter. Can get hot quicky and hurt a team. Rebounds well but doesn't do much else.

Thomas is injury prone and declining.

James Jones- Incredible shooter. Quick. Undersized.

They don't have any realiable SIZE coming off the bench. Just a bunch of microwave players to heat the offense.

Mihm/Bynum
Turiaf/Cook
Radmanovic/Evans
Sasha/Parker
Farmar/Williams

We have some serious depth. Our 3rd unit could probably pass for a bad backup bench for some teams.

Suns have no 3rd unit.

Bynum

Our 2nd unit was a major liability last season, so they still have to prove themselves in games that count.

And Phoenix will probably bring Amare off the bench to start the season. Banks is still a very good defender (many on this site wanted to spend the MLE on him). Barbosa, I think, is a budding star entering only his 3rd season. Jumaine Jones was one of our most consistent bench players 2 years ago. So their bench is more than adequate for their system.

I agree that our bench has outstanding potential -- Bynum, Farmar, and possibly Turiaf may one day be starters. Mihm has been our starting center for 2 seasons. But it's still mostly potential.
melo061
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Really wolf? Thats what IM talking about. I was just saying yesterday Turiaf will be a starter if (I mean WHEN) we go to the finals. I called Bynum a starter in 1-1.5 years. Everyone said he was far away.. blah blah.

Bynum is changing peoples shots.

People who say Bynum isnt close are only looking at one side of the court. There's a reason we stayed close this game. Suns couldn't penetrate at will like they usually do without running into an outstretched hand waiting to shove a ball into the 15th row.

As far as I'm concerned we have our very own ZO.

Can i say O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D?

Perfect music.
24isjoking23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
you know....mitch's draft picks really suck.

brian cook
jordan farmar
andrew bynum
ronny turiaf

those guys are all playing great. where's the love for mitch???????

If last 3 games are playoff games, mitch is the GOD of lakers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thanks. Ocho. Seems the only big weakness in his game right now is rebounding.

Yeah, I can't wait to read DB's write up .....

He definitely looked more aggressive last night, and didn't hesitate as much when he got the ball. I was impressed.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:

no way do we have the best bench in the league.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject:

melo061 wrote:
Quote:
Really wolf? Thats what IM talking about. I was just saying yesterday Turiaf will be a starter if (I mean WHEN) we go to the finals. I called Bynum a starter in 1-1.5 years. Everyone said he was far away.. blah blah.

Bynum is changing peoples shots.

People who say Bynum isnt close are only looking at one side of the court. There's a reason we stayed close this game. Suns couldn't penetrate at will like they usually do without running into an outstretched hand waiting to shove a ball into the 15th row.

As far as I'm concerned we have our very own ZO.

Can i say O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D?

I say somewhere in between. Bynum hasn't looked ready for major mintues yet, but that is alright, he is young. He has gone up against Swift, Collison, Thomas and Burke the last two games, so it is hard to get a good gauge of where he is. The one thing I like is that he is running up and down the floor so much better, getting back to help on defense. He still looks lost on pick and rolls, and switching on defense. No arguing that he alters shots, that is the thing that is most impressive. With he and Turiaf starting at center and PF, the future looks bright.

I don't think it is a stretch to think that Bynum can start once Kwame's contract runs out. And I don't think it is a stretch to think that Turiaf should start by mid-season.
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:

The Raiders were the best "pre season" team, what does that tell you???
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

Balki Bartokomous wrote:

best preseason team = worst team during the season

Is that what you want to hear?

C'mon man show some passion. Last night we basically played with the Suns starting unit and Farmar & the bunch still looked good. Sure we lost but it was the Suns starting units with the Lakers' 2nd & 3rd unit and we only lost by 6 pts (or 7).
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
la45 wrote:
Their shooting ability is unreal. Even Smush looks like a pure shooter now. I think all we need is for Bynum's body to fill out and become a defensive anchor, or maybe we won't even need it.

they look good, but like the poster above said "Pre season"

Smush looked like a pure shooter last preseason as well.

He won't be pushing nearly the minutes last year and his confidence on those 3's is way beyond last year. He has no hesitation or fear. He believes which is step 1.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
WestCCa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

Balki Bartokomous wrote:

The NFL is COMPLETELY different than the NBA, especially in the pre-season.

In the NFL, over 100 players start out with a team, and by the end of the pre-season, they have to cut that roster down to 54. Consequently, they mostly put players out on the field with very marginal talent.

The NBA has a 15 man roster, with maybe 25 players that go to camp. Huge difference.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
la45 wrote:
Their shooting ability is unreal. Even Smush looks like a pure shooter now. I think all we need is for Bynum's body to fill out and become a defensive anchor, or maybe we won't even need it.

they look good, but like the poster above said "Pre season"

Smush looked like a pure shooter last preseason as well.

Yes, and he shot well from downtown all season, so that's good.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Barbosa, yes. Banks and Jumaine Jones? I don't see that as depth. Banks is still clueless. Jumaine is solid, but the thing with Phoenix is that they were paper thin on the bench last season and they didn't really address that. All they did was replace guys they were losing - House, Thomas with Banks and Pike. I wouldn't call their bench deep at all.

As for us, we're looking very deep right now, but we'll have to see how other team's benches look before we can qualify our own. Hard to gauge it when most NBA games aren't even televised right now.
versatile7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:

pre-season.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

versatile7 wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

pre-season.

so we cant talk about preseason.
we can't get excited about preseason.
we can't judge players performance.
we can't make predictions based on seeing them play basketball.

what can we do?
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Mihm - good shotblocker. I'd say he's a top 20 center, and he's coming off the bench

Bynum - has shown flashes of brilliance

Turiaf - becoming the hard-nosed power forward that we need. His aggressiveness could come in handy against smaller teams (Suns)

Walton - playing very efficiently and running the offense very well

Evans - can hit some shots and gives effort on defense. Our new Devean George

Shammond/Sasha/Mckie is pretty weak but at least we have some options.

I'd say our bench is as good as it's been in 2 or 3 years.
statman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
but the thing with Phoenix is that they were paper thin on the bench last season and they didn't really address that.

Well, they were injured all year and still almost made the Finals, so it's not like they had a whole bunch of pressure to improve. Just having Amare and KT back effectively makes their paper-thin bench a whole lot stronger.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

brian cook
jordan farmar
andrew bynum
ronny turiaf

Don't forget Luke. He looked better than any time I've ever seen him play. I know...Pre season. But he was MUCH more aggressive
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

TLT wrote:
ocho wrote:

brian cook
jordan farmar
andrew bynum
ronny turiaf

Don't forget Luke. He looked better than any time I've ever seen him play. I know...Pre season. But he was MUCH more aggressive

And Sasha looks to be improved. And Smush was just a camp invitee, so he was a steal because he didn't even cost a pick.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thanks. Ocho. Seems the only big weakness in his game right now is rebounding.

Yeah, I can't wait to read DB's write up .....

Rebounding is Bynum's big weakness.

I'm a huge Bynum supporter, but I can't understand why he doesn't work harder for positioning. And he does start heading back on D before the ball even hits the rim (on the offensive end). This is the one area I haven't seen as much improvement in Bynum over last season. He needs to watch some tape of Turiaf. Turiaf always finds himself next to the basket, in optimal position, whereas Bynum doesn't box out very well.

On the plus side, he is finishing around the basket (just compare his FG% to last season), even despite contact, he hasn't been blocked as frequently as last season, and he can hold his position much better.

Turiaf has the speed to get back on defense after a offensive rebound try. Bynum doesn't have the speed yet.(may never) He was in good position for some rebounds last night but the balls bounced the other way. He got one or two that were not his. Could not fault his rebounding last night.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

TLT wrote:
ocho wrote:

brian cook
jordan farmar
andrew bynum
ronny turiaf

ah yes, my bad TLT. luke looked really good last night too. everyone wants to dwell on not drafting barbosa etc.. but mitch's draft picks are SHINING in this preseason and i expect them all to have career years.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

I think the only big difference between preseason and regular season is pressure. A player who folds under pressure in front of big crowds in important games doesn't show in these preseason games. People like Kwame Brown who get nervous before games probably feel better playing these small scale half empty stadium games.

This is why I feel so good about Farmar and Bynum. They both show they don't fold under the pressure. Bynum showed he could go head to head with Shaq himself in a primetime nationally televised game after getting showed up.

Farmar obviously doesn't fold under pressure. My only concern was how he would matchup vs bigger NBA players and he's shown that he can continue playing at a high level without skipping a beat.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: