Best Bench in the League
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Best Bench in the League

D'Antoni played his starters for incredibly long stretches of time. Nash Diaw Bell Stoudamire and Marion all saw extensive playing time.

Lakers were in the game the entire time without...

Kobe?
Sasha?
Kwame?
Mihm?

Our bench almost single handedly took out the entire Phoenix Suns team single handedly.

Amazing.

This was our biggest game of the preseason so far. Even tho we lost we proved we can hang with the best teams at full power and still compete.

Are we the best bench in the league factoring the return of Kobe and the rest?
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject:

pre-season.
la45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Their shooting ability is unreal. Even Smush looks like a pure shooter now. I think all we need is for Bynum's body to fill out and become a defensive anchor, or maybe we won't even need it.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject:

la45 wrote:
Their shooting ability is unreal. Even Smush looks like a pure shooter now. I think all we need is for Bynum's body to fill out and become a defensive anchor, or maybe we won't even need it.

they look good, but like the poster above said "Pre season"

Smush looked like a pure shooter last preseason as well.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

I said it in the offseason countless times. The Lakers improved shooting and it seems they've also improved passing ability.

So now what's left is Odom and Bryant returning to 100% (Should be by December) and Radmanovic figuring out his role (Should be by Jan/Feb).

Then we'll see what this team can really do. I think this team will peak in March/April once again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
In the paint
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Turiaf, Farmar, and Walton all seem to have a good feel for what the team wants to accomplish on both sides of the ball and seem to be making a good case for solid playing time off the bench.
KingKobe8thWonder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:

We pretty much gave a team with championship aspirations a run for their money with hlaf our starting lineup and 2nd unit. Can you say championship people!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't mean a championship at all, it just means the Lakers are deeper and more skilled than last year (outside of Kobe and Lamar)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject:

you know....mitch's draft picks really suck.

brian cook
jordan farmar
andrew bynum
ronny turiaf

those guys are all playing great. where's the love for mitch???????
la45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
la45 wrote:

No he didn't. I expected him to "lose heart" against Nash, but it looked like he learned. In fact, it seemed that everyone who went through that series against Phoenix seem so cold-blooded now(this is why Vlad hasn't been able to find his stroke, he's letting too much of the pressure to perform affecting him.)

Being able to make a shot after someone is abusing you is a lot more difficult than people realize(expecially when you're a role player), but Smush had exactly the right attitude, no matter who you're facing, don't lose heart and go right back at them.

Last edited by la45 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
you know....mitch's draft picks really suck.

brian cook
jordan farmar
andrew bynum
ronny turiaf

those guys are all playing great. where's the love for mitch???????

My boy Bynum played well?

Did you watch Ocho? How'd he do?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject:

he played really well wolf.

i'm no DB and you're better off reading his analysis i'm sure but he attacked the hoop, altered a lot of shots. one sequence he grabbed an offensive rebound and manuvered his way in for a bank. he had a couple of nice blocks too. you could tell the phx defense started to respect him more when he got the ball as the game went on.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. Ocho. Seems the only big weakness in his game right now is rebounding.

Yeah, I can't wait to read DB's write up .....
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:

i think his biggest weakness is not being foul prone. he picked up a quick one tonight and then another quick one. improved from last year though and that kind of thing will come with experience.

it looked like he was really going after boards tonight. haven't seen a stat sheet yet though.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject:

^
I think it was the defensive boards. Offensively, even last year that along with shotblocking were the two thinsg he did well out there.

Looks good in passing. Creating his own shot is getting better. Definitely stronger. Know he can swat.

Fouls, Rebounding and maybe post positioning are some areas where he can be exposed right now .....

Arghhh Hurry up Bynum and Farmar !
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Our bench was great...they played a whole lot better than some of our starters. Turiaf was a beast out there. oh the possibilities.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
I think it was the defensive boards. Offensively, even last year that along with shotblocking were the two thinsg he did well out there.

Looks good in passing. Creating his own shot is getting better. Definitely stronger. Know he can swat.

Fouls, Rebounding and maybe post positioning are some areas where he can be exposed right now .....

Arghhh Hurry up Bynum and Farmar !

he had a very nice backdoor pass tonight for an easy bucket (think it was to walton). good to see him reading the floor and not just looking to pound his way to the basket. encouraging for an 18 year old. the improvement from last year is DEFINITELY there.
la45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
he played really well wolf.

i'm no DB and you're better off reading his analysis i'm sure but he attacked the hoop, altered a lot of shots. one sequence he grabbed an offensive rebound and manuvered his way in for a bank. he had a couple of nice blocks too. you could tell the phx defense started to respect him more when he got the ball as the game went on.

I wouldn't say he altered a lot of shots. In fact, I don't think he affected any(except for the outright block), particularly on the made by Diaw early in the first quarter, because I thought for sure he would have gotten the block. He did, however, made the guards aware of him, and allowed our guards to pickpocket them.

I would say the most encouraging thing is that he only picked up two fouls for what you'd considered "legit" fouls, i.e fouls that he were forced to pick up because he was trying to play D and was too slow to rotate or recover. The 2nd encouraging thing is that he is surprisingly accurate on his layups.

I'd like to see the Lakers make an attempt to get him the ball more in the low post though. Let him move from weak to strong. They finally did that at the end, and the result was a turnover(entry pass thrown too quickly) and a dunk.

Last edited by la45 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Turiaf had 10 boards, 3 swats, 1 steal.

Now that's what I'm talking about (bleep).
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thanks. Ocho. Seems the only big weakness in his game right now is rebounding.

Yeah, I can't wait to read DB's write up .....

Rebounding is Bynum's big weakness.

I'm a huge Bynum supporter, but I can't understand why he doesn't work harder for positioning. And he does start heading back on D before the ball even hits the rim (on the offensive end). This is the one area I haven't seen as much improvement in Bynum over last season. He needs to watch some tape of Turiaf. Turiaf always finds himself next to the basket, in optimal position, whereas Bynum doesn't box out very well.

On the plus side, he is finishing around the basket (just compare his FG% to last season), even despite contact, he hasn't been blocked as frequently as last season, and he can hold his position much better.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:

^^bynum also helped to keep a lot of balls alive tonight and that doesn't show up in the box score.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Turiaf had 10 boards, 3 swats, 1 steal.

Now that's what I'm talking about (bleep).

Really wolf? Thats what IM talking about. I was just saying yesterday Turiaf will be a starter if (I mean WHEN) we go to the finals. I called Bynum a starter in 1-1.5 years. Everyone said he was far away.. blah blah.

Bynum is changing peoples shots.

People who say Bynum isnt close are only looking at one side of the court. There's a reason we stayed close this game. Suns couldn't penetrate at will like they usually do without running into an outstretched hand waiting to shove a ball into the 15th row.

As far as I'm concerned we have our very own ZO.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
la45 wrote:

You know what? Nobody is making exaggerations about players that I dont agree with which is fine.

Everyones hyping Farmar up quite a bit and I agree the boy has extreme talent.

If preseason counted for absolutely nothing then why play?

Don't exaggerate the preseason.
Don't underestimate preseason play either.

We HAVE a deep bench. Best in the league?

Quite possibly.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
^^bynum also helped to keep a lot of balls alive tonight and that doesn't show up in the box score.

Yes, that is true. I think he is proving he belongs on the court. I just hope he dedicates himself to improving his rebounding. It will keep him in the game longer, even when the other guys don't find him on the offensive end. Given his work ethic, I see no reason why this won't happen.

But as to the original topic: any team that has Amare (as of now), Barbosa, Banks, and Jumaine Jones on the bench deserves consideration as the best bench in the league.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject:

I'm thinking right now a fair comparison for Bynum may be a bigger Eddy Curry. Curry is a notorious poor defensive rebounder (for his size) mainly because he doesn't position himself well. At the same time, Curry is a talented low post scorer.

Ofcourse Curry's still doing that now 5-6 years into the league while Bynum is just 18 going on 19 (What would be the age of Eddy Curry as a rookie) ......

Is Bynum comparable to rookie Eddy C. now? I think the comparison makes more sense than Haywood considering how much better he's passing and scoring from inside. Bynum gets that post base and IMO that makes him an Eddy Curry type immediately.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: