Isiah blasts Greg Anthony over NYK's draft picks

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Isiah blasts Greg Anthony over NYK's draft picks

Quote:
"Saying that Greg Anthony should "never ever be in a position to question myself on anything about basketball because I do remember the kind of player he was" Isiah Thomas yesterday criticized the ESPN analyst for comments Anthony made on draft night after Thomas selected South Carolina forward Renaldo Balkman with the 20th pick in the draft." New York Daily News

"This so-called former Knick, who on draft night with millions of people watching had the audacity to take me to task on a player that I'm pretty sure he had never seen before in his life," Thomas said. "But he stands on national television and he talks about a kid that he has absolutely no idea about. I'm glad that all of New York doesn't think like Greg Anthony." New York Daily News

"What Thomas remembers most about that June night were comments made by Anthony, who called the pick "befuddling" and later surmised that Thomas selected Balkman and Mardy Collins in the first round because they are clients of Leon Rose, the agent who represents LeBron James. One month later, James re-signed with Cleveland." New York Daily News

"Yesterday, Thomas said that if it were up to him, he would not allow Anthony to work for the club. "My vote is definitely against him," he said. "Let's make that understood." New York Daily News

"Anthony was hardly alone in his criticism. The selection of Balkman was universally mocked by scouts and draft experts, all of whom considered him no better than a second-round pick. But Thomas singled out Anthony, he said, because “none of those other guys ever wore a Knick uniform.” New York Times

"For about 14 exhilarating minutes Tuesday night, fans at Madison Square Garden roared for a floppy-haired blur with an odd gait and a name they probably did not know. There was little choice but to keep cheering the lanky guy in the No. 32 Knicks’ jersey (Renaldo Balkman) who seemed to be everywhere at once — pouncing on loose balls, muscling for rebounds and jump-starting fast breaks in a 116-108 preseason victory over Boston." New York Times

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/463041p-389613c.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:

At this point, I trust Greg Anthony more than Zeke... Plus, why is he singling Greg out,... EVERYBODY ripped the Knicks for that move.

Zeke is way out of line in regards to the Greg Anthony's employement too.

Question for Zeke,.. did you put last years team together? What was their records? It wasn't all LB's fault!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:

Isiah just needs to shut up already!
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:

This has gotten stupid. So now TV commentators are not allowed to comment on things? Hmmm. And look at Isiah taking a shot at Anthony the player. Someone woke up feeling a little defensive, eh?
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject:

isiah feels the end coming.
smoothCbutla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Greg Anthony is not only garbage as an analyst but also annoying

preach on Isiah, you just garbage
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Isiah, your finished in the NBA. Him and Stu Jackson (big reason why Vancouver lost its franchise) are by far the two worst execs in NBA history.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Isiah, your finished in the NBA. Him and Stu Jackson (big reason why Vancouver lost its franchise) are by far the two worst execs in NBA history.

And yet Stu Jackson got promoted to VP of basketball operations
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Balkman isn't a bad player, he's a Ronny Turiaf type player. The Knicks just took him way too high in the draft and passed on a future superstar PG in Marcus Williams. That's why he deserves all the criticism, but since he's an idiot, he couldn't figure out why Anthony said what he said.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject:

It's funny how Thomas equates ability to play basketball with ability to pick players. So far, his picking hasn't held up. Be thankful Thomas did take someone unexpected. If he selected Marcus Williams, the Lakers may not have had Farmar on the board.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:

Marcus Williams and Jordan Farmar were picked afterwards and are exactly the type of young lead guards that the old selfish Knick team needed.

Oh well.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject:

More on the GA/Zeke issues:

Quote:
Truth is, I'm unsure that particular criticism by Anthony is what finally detonated Thomas' ticking time bomb. Maybe the real reason he's been steaming all these months is because Anthony accused him of setting up Balkman and Mardy Collins (No. 29) with 3-year guaranteed contracts in order to make nice with agent Leon Rose, agent for both. Oh, yeah, he also happens to represent LeBron James.

As you recall, speculation was rampant at the time the Cavs' savior might not extend his contract, thus he'd be unrestricted to sign with New York, where he could make even more of an advertising killing than he is at present, after two more seasons. Shortly thereafter, James re-enlisted with the Cavs for five more seasons.

Is Thomas bent out of shape because Anthony figured out what he was up to; smart business, in my book. In fact, I conjured the exact same conspiracy when Thomas signed Jamal Crawford and Vin Baker, clients of Aaron Goodwin - James' agent du jour.

Or is Thomas simply seething because neither his first suspected plot nor the second paid off? At least in the short run. A high-level league source swears James will opt out early (after the 20011-12 season) from his new deal and join the Knicks.

Or maybe, just maybe, Thomas' rage is revenge served frozen. The draft wasn't the first time Anthony undercut him. Following the '03 Atlanta All-Star Game, Anthony claimed he overheard the East (Pacers) coach tell an aide early in the third quarter Celtics Paul Pierce (4-11 FG in 18 minutes) and Antoine Walker (6 points, nine minutes) had seen their last daylight. Thomas denied saying any such thing.

Maybe that's why this unexpected outburst appears personal. Had Thomas confined his rant-dition to Anthony's uninformed remarks about Balkman, this would've perceived as nothing more than potshots being returned belatedly. But Thomas crossed the line by demeaning Anthony as a player, branding him a traitor to a Knicks' franchise that drafted him and hired him as a part-time commentator, and proclaiming, if it's up to him, Anthony will never again work for the MSG Network.

Because Anthony drew a Knicks' paycheck and wore their uniform, Thomas promoted the illogical and outlandish notion that it's unfair to articulate anything remotely disparaging about the organization.

Thomas' venomous invective caught Mark Jackson off guard, so to speak. Reached by cell phone, the ex-Knick (and six other teams) and current ESPN/ABC colleague of Anthony's, said it surprised him because "Isiah knows how to say the right thing. He usually protects himself. It makes me think this is personal.

"Come on, Isiah understands Greg has a job to do, just as I do. If you're bad, you're bad. I'm an ex-Pacer as much as an ex-Knick, but when Ron Artest went into the stands I took him to task. At the end of the day, we're all held accountable as professionals.

Story
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:

So why isn't Zeke attacking Stephen A. Smith about this issue? IIRC, Stephen A. screamed at Isiah's pick on draft night.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject:

galtarafalcon824 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Just to clarify... Stu Jackson managed Vancouver... Zeke managed the Raptors and actually did well drafting Mighty Mouse.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Thomas has a lot more to prove before he blasts anyone about their opinions of draft picks.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

gill2k wrote:
galtarafalcon824 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Just to clarify... Stu Jackson managed Vancouver... Zeke managed the Raptors and actually did well drafting Mighty Mouse.
Everybody new to draft Mighty Mouse... that's like giving credit to Cleveland for drafing LBJ...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

It is funny, because of all the guys on ESPN blabbering nonsense and acting like idiots, in my mind Greg Anthony is one of the few exceptions.

I like his analysis myself.

That said, Isaiah is right when he says a lot of the yahoo's shooting off their mouths at the draft have never even seen the players in question up close.

Personally, I think Isaiah is somewhat over maligned. My guess is he turns in a far better season behind the bench than the Lil' Screamer (Larry Brown) did last year.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Remember:

The declining pistons lost 3-2 to the Knicks in Riley (and Anthony's) first season in NY, in 1992.

Maybe Isiah's old legs still hurt?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: