Larry Brown got PAID

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Larry Brown got PAID

Terms were undisclosed, but a settlement was reached.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=143746

There was $40 M left on the contract. Any guesses as to how much they settled for? Since they settled before a ruling, my guess would be LB got half at minimum.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

I bet it is very close to the original $40 million LB was asking for...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject:

They came to some kind of compromise.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject:

Isiah - the generous

Add the 15M Jalen Rose took to sign for another team and get paid again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:

I love it. LB robbed the Bricks hahahahahaha! Thomas = idiot savant.
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Honestly Knicks fans are loyal as hell for sticking through this crap. This team is just a mess and it seems they have no chance in hell of ever being a contender in the near future.

They need to re-build. Even if Francis and Marbury can get the team in the playoffs in the weak east, it doesn't mean that is what's best for the franchise longterm.

If they had done what most suggested they do 2-3 years ago (Re-Build) they could be a good young playoff contender right now ala Orlando.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
I bet it is very close to the original $40 million LB was asking for...
I was off by 21.5 million...

Quote:
Larry Brown agreed to a settlement of $18.5 million after being fired as coach of the New York Knicks, meaning he accepted less than half of what was owed to him for the four remaining years of his contract.

The payment was disclosed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing made Wednesday by Cablevision, the Knicks' corporate owner, which was reviewed by ESPN.com.

Neither the Knicks nor Brown have commented on his settlement in keeping with the terms of the agreement set forth by NBA commissioner David Stern, who settled the dispute after conducting two days of arbitration hearings in New York.

Brown's attorneys had asked for $53 million -- the $41 million remaining on Brown's contract and an additional $12 million in damages. The Knicks contended they owed Brown nothing because he breached his contract by, among other things, violating team media guidelines and undermining the authority of team president Isiah Thomas.
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject:

Wow! Talk about robbery.

Don't worry, Isaiah should be gone after this season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:

Apparently PJ feels like LB did just fine:

Quote:
Jackson, meanwhile, was surprised to hear that the amount of Brown's settlement ... $18.5 million of the $41 million the Knicks owed him ... had become public. I asked him what his reaction was, and whether he had any concerns.

"I don't want to express them. I just refuse to say anything about them," Jackson said before going ahead and saying something anyway. "Larry made out fine, and as long as he has a chance to come back and have another job, I'm sure he'll be coaching again next year and making a great salary."

Jackson, not a big fan of Popovich or Brown, had this to say in response:

"If that was a concern to people, Popovich probably should have weighed in on [Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald] Sterling two or three coaches ago when he was breaking all their contracts years ago. That was a time when he should have been backing up coaches, not a $40 million situation that ends up with $18 million, but guys who were owed $500,000 or $600,000 and needed that kind of money.

"[Bill] Fitch was one of them, Bob Hill, [Alvin] Gentry, [Jim] Todd, Bob Weiss, they had to go to court. Those were concerns to our coaches' association, where an owner was exacerbating a situation. It was really something that got us angry as an association, but Mike Dunleavy has changed all that and has gotten them to spend some money."

I bet you PJ is abhored by what Larry did last year in tanking the season.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:

The Knicks can only offer money. You wouldn't go there to coach that rotten team. They may not have such an easy time attracting a top coach if it's known they don't honor their contracts. It may cost them in the long run.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: