Michael Cooper - Hall of Famer!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanderBlue'sJersey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject: Michael Cooper - Hall of Famer!!

Coop has been elected into the 2024 class!!
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject:

fantastic news...his name will hangbin staples among the laker greats...
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject:

So his jersey needs to go up as well. Although I think its undeserving. How is Cooper a hall of famer when in his own era shooting guards such as Rolando Blackman, Alvin Robertson and his own teammate Byron Scott were undoubtedly better players than him?????? As good as Cooper is, there is no one in their right mind that would think Cooper was a better player than ANY of those three. Robertson was arguably just as good a defender as Cooper and much much better on offense. Makes no sense whatsoever.

At least with Billups it makes sense. Multiple time all-star and in 2006, Billups was the best player on the best team and an MVP candidate and was the best point guard in the NBA that year ahead of Nash, Parker and all others.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
So his jersey needs to go up as well. Although I think its undeserving. How is Cooper a hall of famer when in his own era shooting guards such as Rolando Blackman, Alvin Robertson and his own teammate Byron Scott were undoubtedly better players than him?????? As good as Cooper is, there is no one in their right mind that would think Cooper was a better player than ANY of those three. Robertson was arguably just as good a defender as Cooper and much much better on offense. Makes no sense whatsoever.

At least with Billups it makes sense. Multiple time all-star and in 2006, Billups was the best player on the best team and an MVP candidate and was the best point guard in the NBA that year ahead of Nash, Parker and all others.

Cooper was an unbelievably great defender - Julius Erving, Larry Bird, George Gervin, Gus Williams, Clyde Drexler - whoever the best guard/wing on the other team was, the 6'5" 165# Cooper drew the assignment and locked him down.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

Larry Bird was quoted as saying Michael Cooper was the best defender in the league. Period. That was during the 80’s when there were a ton of amazing players in the league.
Cooper won 5 nba titles
He won a defensive player of the year
5 all defensive 1st team
3 all defensive 2nd team

He deserves it.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject:

HEY ALRIGHT!

Coooooooooooop 🧦
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject:

#21 in the rafters!
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Good for him.

I know he's a fringe candidate, but if we're going by defensive accolades, Artest should be in consideration as well.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject:

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

I'm guessing Cooper got in because he was also a championship coach in the WNBA and the G League.

Still a great accomplishment for him. I would've been a big Cooper fan if I were around in the '80s.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Dude, AWESOME news. I had almost lost hope….
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Dude, AWESOME news. I had almost lost hope….

Will we ever see Horry and D Fish in the Hall of Fame?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Larry Bird agrees

Larry Bird said, “The best defender I ever faced was definitely Michael Cooper.”
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to the Coop!
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:43 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

I'm guessing Cooper got in because he was also a championship coach in the WNBA and the G League.

Still a great accomplishment for him. I would've been a big Cooper fan if I were around in the '80s.

Defense wins championships! He also stands out for being one of the best players off the bench. First player to reach 100 career 3-ptrs in postseason.
He carved out an unique niche, and it's being recognized. He played some of his best ball in the biggest games too. Helps to have played on a famous team and won a handful of rings. A bit of an underdog story too. He could have scored more points but sacrificed for the team. Best defender on a dynastic team deserves this honor in my book.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:30 am    Post subject:

Yes!! He gets a spot in the rafters next to Magic, Cap, and Worthy. He was a HUGE part of those rings.
He was the first on-ball defender that I saw change a game all by himself. He would drape those long arms all over the offensive player and just cause deflections and bad passes.
Alley-Oop to Coop!
Well deserved MC, well deserved!!
coldzim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
@MagicJohnson

I don’t even know where to start! I tried to wait until Saturday…but I just can’t hold the news 😂 I’m so so thrilled that my Showtime running mate and one of my best friends Michael Cooper has been elected into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame!!

Coop is the greatest defensive player I’ve ever seen in the NBA - and I would know because I went up against him every single day in practice! His play on the offensive end was strong too. He was an excellent point guard and 3-point shooting threat. A lot of people may not know that he once held the record for the most 3-pointers in an NBA Finals game (with 6) before Steph Curry came along. He was mentally and physically tough, which made him such an amazing teammate. And I can’t forget about our special alley oops, aka the Coop-a-Loop! I loved throwing him those high lobs, which always sent the Forum into a frenzy!

I’m so happy for Michael, his wife Yvonne, and his kids for this well-deserved honor and Laker Nation should be ecstatic as well! Cookie and I can’t wait to support Coop at the Hall of Fame ceremony on August 17th.

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1776054658156679511

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:18 am    Post subject:

Grats to Coop-A-Loop!!
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject:

Congratulations Coop! I’ve been waiting for this day to finally arrive. His jersey can now be retired!
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject:

Ok, I'll admit that when I first saw the headline, I thought Coop was being elected for a Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Fame. I just simply never saw him in that light.

My tunnel vision had only Kareem & Magic, Wilkes & Worthy as true Hall of Famers. Players like Coop and Norm Nixon were, in my book, the best support type players you could ever have on your team, but not Hall of Fame.

I love the guy, Watched him come in as a 3rd round pick. Immediately made his presence on defense felt. I viewed Coop and Norm Nixon as the most underated players during their times here. They both contributed mightily to the success of Showtime.

But Hall of Fame? Wow, congrats to Coop.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Ok, I'll admit that when I first saw the headline, I thought Coop was being elected for a Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Fame. I just simply never saw him in that light.

My tunnel vision had only Kareem & Magic, Wilkes & Worthy as true Hall of Famers. Players like Coop and Norm Nixon were, in my book, the best support type players you could ever have on your team, but not Hall of Fame.

I love the guy, Watched him come in as a 3rd round pick. Immediately made his presence on defense felt. I viewed Coop and Norm Nixon as the most underated players during their times here. They both contributed mightily to the success of Showtime.

I mean as a Laker fan its nice to see. But I cant help but feel its undeserved. Hell if I was Mark Aguirre, I would be pissed. Aguirre (3x all star) was looked as a peer almost every bit as good as James Worthy and put up ridiculous scoring numbers as the #1 option for 50+ win Mavericks teams and later contributed as a role player double digit scorer starting small forward for the back to back champion Pistons. How is Cooper more deserving than Aguirre????? Answer: He Isnt. Nobody from that time period would choose Cooper as a player over Aguirre. Cooper was just lucky to be on the Showtime Lakers and vice versa.

Oh and Alvin Robertson - (4x All star) (3x Steals Champion) (1986 All NBA) (6x All Defensive Team) (1986 DPOY). Yea and Cooper got in the hall of fame ahead of this guy. You think Cooper was a dog???? Robertson was a guy no one dared screw around with as he literally had a screw loose - dude had no ounce of fear picking a fight with young Shaq. Lets not get it twisted. When it came to perimeter defense in the 1980s, you thought of 4 guys - Michael Cooper, Sidney Moncrief, Alvin Robertson and Joe Dumars. Unlike Cooper, the other 3 guys played heavy roles on offense and only Robertson is excluded (blackballed) from the Hall of Fame. Oh Larry Bird complemented Coop's defense? Guess what - Michael Jordan said Alvin Robertson was one of the toughest he ever faced.

Gotta say....Coop is the first Laker hall of famer I would give a side-eye to. Dude literally was not a better player than Nick Van Exel or Eddie Jones. I would say Byron Scott and AC Green were better players than Michael Cooper. Really makes me go hmmmmmmmmm.......
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

I mean as a Laker fan its nice to see. But I cant help but feel its undeserved. Hell if I was Mark Aguirre, I would be pissed. Aguirre (3x all star) was looked as a peer almost every bit as good as James Worthy and put up ridiculous scoring numbers as the #1 option for 50+ win Mavericks teams and later contributed as a role player double digit scorer starting small forward for the back to back champion Pistons. How is Cooper more deserving than Aguirre????? Answer: He Isnt. Nobody from that time period would choose Cooper as a player over Aguirre. Cooper was just lucky to be on the Showtime Lakers and vice versa.

Oh and Alvin Robertson - (4x All star) (3x Steals Champion) (1986 All NBA) (6x All Defensive Team) (1986 DPOY). Yea and Cooper got in the hall of fame ahead of this guy. You think Cooper was a dog???? Robertson was a guy no one dared screw around with as he literally had a screw loose - dude had no ounce of fear picking a fight with young Shaq. Lets not get it twisted. When it came to perimeter defense in the 1980s, you thought of 4 guys - Michael Cooper, Sidney Moncrief, Alvin Robertson and Joe Dumars. Unlike Cooper, the other 3 guys played heavy roles on offense and only Robertson is excluded (blackballed) from the Hall of Fame. Oh Larry Bird complemented Coop's defense? Guess what - Michael Jordan said Alvin Robertson was one of the toughest he ever faced.

Gotta say....Coop is the first Laker hall of famer I would give a side-eye to. Dude literally was not a better player than Nick Van Exel or Eddie Jones. I would say Byron Scott and AC Green were better players than Michael Cooper. Really makes me go hmmmmmmmmm.......

You make credible points. Pretty much my view as well. I'll just, as you did, leave it at hmmmmmm.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject:

Congrats to Coop!
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject:

I'm a bit surprised to see that he made it, but I'm happy for him.

Yeah his stats are mediocre. But it's hard to quantify defense. Coop was a lock down defender, and he made some big plays in big moments. Defensive players often don't get their fair due though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: