JAZZ -at- LAKERS - 11/30 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DERF18
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Great recap, Dancin' B!

Lakers are rollin'!
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:

What a performance by Kobe..

In the first half, I thought he did a great job of mainly going to work in that Michael Jordan area of the floor. Good looks in that range are money for him. When he's off, it's usually because he's taking bad shots...because when he gets good looks under the arc, he makes converting them look easy.

Establishing his rhythm in the 1st half from midrange (plus the throwdown on AK) was the base for the masterpiece he'd finish in the 3rd. Although w/ Bryant, he can get hot so fast...many times developing a rhythm isn't necessary...he just turns otherworldly in absence of warning.

In the 3rd... to echo Steve Kerr, he showed how much better he was than the rest of the players on the floor. Those guys are professionals on well coached winning basketball teams...and Kobe made them look like a bunch of stiffs. I'm not just talking about the Jazz players either. Though his teammates had on similar jerseys, they looked as out of place on that court w/ Kobe Bryant as the Utah defense.

We can say what we want about him at times, but his "A" game is second to none.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
What a performance by Kobe..

In the first half, I thought he did a great job of mainly going to work in that Michael Jordan area of the floor. Good looks in that range are money for him. When he's off, it's usually because he's taking bad shots...because when he gets good looks under the arc, he makes converting them look easy.

Exactly why I don't like him initiating, because it gives him too much lenience on what kind of shot to take. Whereas with LO, in most cases, his first inclination is to drive (left of course ).

Quote:
In the 3rd... to echo Steve Kerr, he showed how much better he was than the rest of the players on the floor. Those guys are professionals on well coached winning basketball teams...and Kobe made them look like a bunch of stiffs. I'm not just talking about the Jazz players either. Though his teammates had on similar jerseys, they looked as out of place on that court w/ Kobe Bryant as the Utah defense.

We can say what we want about him at times, but his "A" game is second to none.

Pretty much. When he's rolling, there isn't a player that can touch him..in history. I fully believe that Kobe Bryant, when on the top of his game, is better than every single player that has ever touched a basketball.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Spirit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

[/quote]

Pretty much. When he's rolling, there isn't a player that can touch him..in history. I fully believe that Kobe Bryant, when on the top of his game, is better than every single player that has ever touched a basketball.[/quote]

-----------

Yep. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kobe is the greatest streak shooter I have ever seen. And nobody is even close.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

Great job, DB! What a game! That was fun to watch!

That is the kobe I love to see: undercontrol, not forcing anything, in rhythm, remembering he has teammates out there...and the rest of the team, staying aggressive when Kobe went ballistic was great to see. The only downer for the night was the poor play of our centers...hopefully it's just a phase and they'll get right back on track...I think Kwame had a bit of the jitters and was trying too hard. I'm still glad they started him, though. He needs to get over those jitters sooner or later so he can get back to the Kwame he was last season...

Great job, boys! I love my Lakers!!! They are so fun to watch!
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

Turiaf needs more minutes. I have been harping over this the past few games but tonight he showed you yet again why he should be on the floor. His energy in the second was the turning point. The thing is Turiaf isn't your typical energy player. The guy has actual skills. Hopefully Phil will realize this.

Plus we complain about the zone......well Ronny and Cook has more experience playing against it than Bynum and Kwame.

Kobe was amazing, Lamar seemed determined to control the boards tonight, but Ronny and Evans were our most important guys after the two leaders.

Radmanovic please get hand surgery.

Last edited by Freakout on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

now that turiaf is healthy again....RETURN OF THE PREDATOR!!!

he aint just a dancer anymore guys. having this guy back and nasty is GREAT for us.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject:

I think it's safe to say for now the Lakers are a top 5 offensive team in the NBA.

5th in points
5th in assists
5th in FG%

Their point per shot number is very impressive. I think it's #1 in the league.

Very impressive offensively - despite a number of games where they haven't executed well on O.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I think it's safe to say for now the Lakers are a top 5 offensive team in the NBA.

5th in points
5th in assists
5th in FG%

Their point per shot number is very impressive. I think it's #1 in the league.

Very impressive offensively - despite a number of games where they haven't executed well on O.

Who was that intelligent guy in here this summer saying he expected this team to be an "ELITE" offensive team?

Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

Great post DB. It was a pretty darn good win last night.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I thought the key to the game (aside from Kobe's performance) was getting Memo Okur into foul trouble. Without his ability to stretch the defense and open up the lane for all those back/cross picks, the Jazz offense really bogged down.

The Jazz put up 27 points in the 1st quarter, and then only 14 in the 2nd.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Random thoughts from the game:

The injury to Kobe may be a huge blessing. getting the other guys going was great, and it also re-inforced the role of the offense and facilitating for Kobe. But the Detroit and Milwaukee losses proved that the starting point is #24. it was really nice to see Kobe breaking the zone, having a monster night, and still getting the other guys 80 points. Assuming a less hot shooting hand, they still score well over a hundred. Hopefully signs of things to come.

I love the 3 bigs we have. What versatility. on defense we have a guy who can body up on most bigs (Kwame), a guy who can use his length to challenge the Yaos of the world (Bynum), and a guy in Turiaf who's not as long as Bynum, as big as Kwame, but he's a better natural help defender/shotblocker than Kwame, quicker and more agile than Bynum, and matches up real well on those smaller Tweener guys like Boozer, who can take Kwame and Bynum away from the post and drive on them. And they're all real young and improving. Throw in LO, who aside from being an ofensive load for the opposition, is also contributing underrated D and the ever-present boards.

Funny how committing to getting boards completely changes how you look against a team like Utah. This is a hustle and positioning thing, and those are the type of consistant focus issues young teams have.

Is it just me or is this team really just some experience and maturity away from being a MONSTER?

When Kobe is aggressive immediately upon receipt of the ball, he can get any shot he wants at will.

I really liked the fact that even though he had a subpar game, especially offensively, Kwame was out there in the third quarter deflecting passes and such. The kid is learning to hustle.

I feel real comfortable with the ball in Farmar's hands. the whole team seems to flow better when he's out there. Between he and Luke, I don't cringe every time Kobe sits down anymore. They are able to get guys shots in the offense.

Speaking of Farmar, aren't his tri cuts beautiful? He delivers a pass and cuts with purpose (and usually good reads).

Brian Shaw looks like he sometimes wants to, and could, get in the game.

No Cook. Not that I don't like some of the things he does, but it's nice that the team is doing well enough that Phil can't justify putting him in.

Radmanovic needs to have the surgery. Considering how well the 4's are playing, and Luke's amazing shooting and better defense, coupled with better intangibles, Rad biggest contribution would be to have that deady shot ready by late season/playoffs. I like his hustle, and the fact that he plays better defense and passes better than expected. But teams are now starting to lay off him a bit knowing he doesn't want to launch. A shooter (which is still his defining skill) must have confidence, and he doesn't have it. LO can play some three with RT getting more 4 minutes, so I think sooner rather than later on the surgery.

Against players of similar size, Evans has a very nice post game.

I didn't notice Smush a lot this game, and that was a good thing. I usually notice his boneheaded plays. He's like a referee in that when he's doing his job right, he's mostly invisible.

There's no way no how in a world with any justice that Lindsey Lohan is wasting great seats at a memorable Kobe performance.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

The injury to Kobe may be a huge blessing. getting the other guys going was great, and it also re-inforced the role of the offense and facilitating for Kobe. But the Detroit and Milwaukee losses proved that the starting point is #24. it was really nice to see Kobe breaking the zone, having a monster night, and still getting the other guys 80 points. Assuming a less hot shooting hand, they still score well over a hundred. Hopefully signs of things to come.

I love the 3 bigs we have. What versatility. on defense we have a guy who can body up on most bigs (Kwame), a guy who can use his length to challenge the Yaos of the world (Bynum), and a guy in Turiaf who's not as long as Bynum, as big as Kwame, but he's a better natural help defender/shotblocker than Kwame, quicker and more agile than Bynum, and matches up real well on those smaller Tweener guys like Boozer, who can take Kwame and Bynum away from the post and drive on them. And they're all real young and improving. Throw in LO, who aside from being an ofensive load for the opposition, is also contributing underrated D and the ever-present boards.

Funny how committing to getting boards completely changes how you look against a team like Utah. This is a hustle and positioning thing, and those are the type of consistant focus issues young teams have.

Is it just me or is this team really just some experience and maturity away from being a MONSTER?

When Kobe is aggressive immediately upon receipt of the ball, he can get any shot he wants at will.

I really liked the fact that even though he had a subpar game, especially offensively, Kwame was out there in the third quarter deflecting passes and such. The kid is learning to hustle.

I feel real comfortable with the ball in Farmar's hands. the whole team seems to flow better when he's out there. Between he and Luke, I don't cringe every time Kobe sits down anymore. They are able to get guys shots in the offense.

I think that's ALL we're lacking at the moment. Give this team experience and they're ready. Hell, last year's tough loss to the Suns may have been enough, but doubtful.
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

thanks db!

missed the darn game again as i got home late... was it on fsw?

i looked this morning for the replay but it wasn't scheduled either
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
24 wrote:

I think that's ALL we're lacking at the moment. Give this team experience and they're ready. Hell, last year's tough loss to the Suns may have been enough, but doubtful.

The other hidden blessing will be that tough road-heavy schedule coming up. Talk about a great chance to learn and bond as a team.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
24 wrote:

The other hidden blessing will be that tough road-heavy schedule coming up. Talk about a great chance to learn and bond as a team.

I love long road trips. I think they really help build chemistry, prepare a team for the playoffs, and let you get a real feel for where your team is.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
24 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
24 wrote:

I love long road trips. I think they really help build chemistry, prepare a team for the playoffs, and let you get a real feel for where your team is.

And Phil's teams (both Chi and LA) have made a habit of coming together on some of those trips.
dontmindme
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

this number probably got lost behind 52, but kobe's only had 5 TOs the last 5 games. i know some TOs somehow didn't get attributed to him though it probalby should have, but still....that's pretty damn good for someone who handles the ball as much as kobe does
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

dontmindme wrote:
this number probably got lost behind 52, but kobe's only had 5 TOs the last 5 games. i know some TOs somehow didn't get attributed to him though it probalby should have, but still....that's pretty damn good for someone who handles the ball as much as kobe does

Nice insight rook!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:

dino wrote:

OT - shoulda gone to see "happy feet" or casino royale" instead...

I've seen Casino Royale and was wishing I went and saw it for a second time vs. seeing Babel. I'm going to take my kids to Happy Feet.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: JAZZ -at- LAKERS - 11/30 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

NYLakerFan wrote:
I always love your writeups DB and almost never disagree. But your take on Vlad's game last night seemed a bit off. I remembering thinking as I watched that he still could not throw a pea in the ocean but was bringing a LOT more to the party than I was led to believe he would. His old label as nothing but a gunner seems to be way off base. He played decent D, grabbed every rebound within a body or two of himself, and showed pretty damn good court sense and passing. Even though he was only in for a short while, I felt he made a difference. And the biggest thing of all was his hustle. He is certainly not the "stand around the perimeter gunner" that I thought he was before coming to the Lakers.

Maybe his injury is a blessing in disguise. Is he playing a more complete game now than he has in the past perhaps forced by his inability to shoot?

DancingBarry wrote:

Radmanovic -- -- He was a non-factor tonight, as he wasn't really in the thick of the battle earlier. He finished with 5 points on 1-2 shooting, 5 boards and 3 assists without a turnover in 10 minutes. He attacked off the dribble, drew a foul and missed both FTs. He cut down the lane, took a feed from Ronny and scored an And-1, making the FT. Good job on the glass.

My point about Vlad was if you were going to start naming people who had the biggest impact for this win, he would probably be on the lower end of the list. He didn't have too many minutes where the game was on the line. He had the lowest +/- in the game for the Lakers, with only a +2. I liked his work on the glass and more importantly to me...he didn't have a turnover off a lazy pass.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:

lakers4peat wrote:
By the way, just being curious, DB:

Do you vary the amount of "))" or "(("?

This one probably deserves three of themat the least ... .

I don't, but maybe I ought to do something for those "special" games.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:

At the end of the first half, Kobe put in one a ferocious dunk and made his killer face after it. That was the last play as they went into the locker room. Remember DFish's half court heave at the buzzer in the last game? There was some discussion of how it fired up the Jazz in that game and gave them momentum going into the third quarter.

When Kobe made that dunk I thought to myself that he was very aware of the effect of Fisher's play on his team and Kobe wanted to do the same for the lakers going into the locker room. He is a student of the game.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:

This last game gave us a peek, at what this team is capable of... I saw the type of team that I had envisioned, for brief moments.

Farmar seemed to take time, to get warmed up. Jordan looked a little cold, at first, but he finally got it going. I still think Farmar is our future, at point guard. Farmar's ballhandling, and facilitating, can really set the tone, and penetrate the zone.

It looked like Kobe decided to let Farmar set the rhythm, and Kobe attacked. It seems like we can put different combinations on the floor. Each combination of players gives the opponent a different look, which is effective, depending on the matchups.

I still like it when Farmar and Sasha work together; they seem to have the same rhythm. Smush can be effective too, but we should continue to give everyone enough minutes. We should find a way to use Mo Evans better. We have to continue to use all our weapons, at the right time.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:
This last game gave us a peek, at what this team is capable of . . . Farmar is our future, at point guard. Farmar's ballhandling, and facilitating, can really set the tone, and penetrate the zone . . . It looked like Kobe decided to let Farmar set the rhythm, and Kobe attacked. It seems like we can put different combinations on the floor. Each combination of players gives the opponent a different look, which is effective, depending on the matchups . . . I still like it when Farmar and Sasha work together; they seem to have the same rhythm.
Interesting and valid points - IMO. Isn't it interesting that when Farmar is in the game, the following happens:
** Kobe doesn't have to bring up the ball (trust in Farmar)
** His "bad/inexperienced" plays are "very" detrimental cuz it's usually the result of rookie mistakes of doing something that is not available.
** Kobe can be more of a slasher/facillator
** When he's with Sasha (and Evans), they bring a smoothness to the offensive sets, energy, continuity, youth/speed, talent, athletic ability and high "hoop IQ" to the game

A speed/high energy lineup could consist of Farmar, Sasha, Evans, Kobe and LO - they can switch everything, score, defend, rebound (except against teams like Rockets' Yao Ming teams) and run the Triangle to great advantages. It would be the Lakers' version of the Phoenix Suns - in fact, this lineup would match up well against the Suns
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: