OT - anyone catch oden's debut today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:

I don't see him having the fire as a young Shaq even. The jury is still out on that. That is something you either have or you don't. However, he will be the best defensive big man since Hakeem, maybe better.

If he shows his mean streak, he will be better than Shaq. I have also yet to see him dunk the ball over someone with one hand, he usually uses two hand.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I have also yet to see him dunk the ball over someone with one hand, he usually uses two hand.

It's happened.

But of course, dunking with 2 hands is the fundamental way to finish.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Can you imagine a 16 year old kid rocking a future 20-10 ACC Freshman of the Year?

This is off-topic, but I really think Hansbrough is overrated. I don't feel his skills translate well to the NBA. What are your thoughts on him?

I thought about making a scouting report on the guy, because comparisons to Mark Madsen and Udonis Haslem are absolutely horrible.

As a freshman, he was already being double/triple teamed, and yet still managed to average 20/9 in the toughest conference in the NCAA. Madsen and Haslem never did that during their tenure.

Right now, he's basically Ronny Turiaf without the bulk, but better idea of fundamentals. However, no one is on the same level as him when it comes to the combination of hoop IQ, hustle, and intensity. Rare are the times you find freshman being able to hit the open man, create turnovers in transition from opposing PGs, be so effective with double teams, seal his man perfectly in the paint, etc.

Even now, he's still double-quadruple teamed, and he's still so productive. Granted, Randolph Morris lit him up last game, but hey, Morris came from the same team as Josh Smith and Dwight Howard. He had to make up for his lack of elite athleticism with supreme fundamentals, so now Morris is like the pre-NBA Eddie Griffin.

But frankly, that's the only time I've seen Hansbrough lit up. Tyler is an 18' J away from potentially being a real stud out there, even at the NBA level. I think he's really underrated in terms of strength considering the defensive attention he commands. Such an underrated passer too.

His basics are so polished, that even though he doesn't have explosive athleticism or a variety of moves, he has a picture perfect jumphook; from getting position, sealing his man, keeping the defender in their feels, lift, extention, and release. That's why he's 20/9 as a freshman and potential ACC player of the year this season. I haven't really seen a kid with the fundamentals so well grounded and executed repeatedly.

dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject:

^sounds like a triangle type of player mike...do you think bynum will be effective for us against oden somehwere down the line? think he has the tools/develops well enough to match up well? we don't really need to have andrew win this one-on-one because oden will probably be coming into a less developed team...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Both will get theirs, but it's tough to say when Bynum is specifically better than Oden on the block, and Oden is better everywhere else. Bynum could burn him on a couple drop steps. Oden could swat it back in his face.

He's come a long way, but I guess I'm a bit discouraged that against decent starting C talent, he falters quickly. Best games were against Ben Wallace and Mark Blount. But Okur? Magloire? etc?

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:

If we can get Hansbrough where we are picking, that will be a no brainer. I don't expect him to last where NBADraft.net has him, but stranger things have happened.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

mike - i know, thought he'd turned the corner in terms of being agressive and playing well after the bulls game...kid has disapeared of late...hope it's not a case of too much going to his head too fast...reall, at the moment, he should be having his way in there with most anyone simply because of his size and length...hopeful he bounces back though i wonder how his sudden "demotion" may affect his confidence...

db - yup, sounds like a perfect tri player to me...seen him play a couple games last year, was really impressed with his feel for the game and ability to make plays...
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Can you imagine a 16 year old kid rocking a future 20-10 ACC Freshman of the Year?

This is off-topic, but I really think Hansbrough is overrated. I don't feel his skills translate well to the NBA. What are your thoughts on him?

I thought about making a scouting report on the guy, because comparisons to Mark Madsen and Udonis Haslem are absolutely horrible.

As a freshman, he was already being double/triple teamed, and yet still managed to average 20/9 in the toughest conference in the NCAA. Madsen and Haslem never did that during their tenure.

Right now, he's basically Ronny Turiaf without the bulk, but better idea of fundamentals. However, no one is on the same level as him when it comes to the combination of hoop IQ, hustle, and intensity. Rare are the times you find freshman being able to hit the open man, create turnovers in transition from opposing PGs, be so effective with double teams, seal his man perfectly in the paint, etc.

Even now, he's still double-quadruple teamed, and he's still so productive. Granted, Randolph Morris lit him up last game, but hey, Morris came from the same team as Josh Smith and Dwight Howard. He had to make up for his lack of elite athleticism with supreme fundamentals, so now Morris is like the pre-NBA Eddie Griffin.

But frankly, that's the only time I've seen Hansbrough lit up. Tyler is an 18' J away from potentially being a real stud out there, even at the NBA level. I think he's really underrated in terms of strength considering the defensive attention he commands. Such an underrated passer too.

His basics are so polished, that even though he doesn't have explosive athleticism or a variety of moves, he has a picture perfect jumphook; from getting position, sealing his man, keeping the defender in their feels, lift, extention, and release. That's why he's 20/9 as a freshman and potential ACC player of the year this season. I haven't really seen a kid with the fundamentals so well grounded and executed repeatedly.

Also - great big men suffer once the word gets out on the college level. All they see is zones and guys just pack it in. The #'s don't reflect the ability to play at the next level. I hope by the time the next big man crop comes in the NBA zone is gone.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
All they see is zones and guys just pack it in.

Seriously, I don't know how they can pack it in anymore. Everytime he takes a shot, there are 2-4 guys around him.

I know he's a good passer to finding shooters, but that's just ridiculous.

Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Isiah is going to get killed if the bulls end up getting Oden with the Knicks pick.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Mike, thanks for the input on Hansbrough.

I agree that a zone can really neutralize a post player's effectiveness, but what I see is a guy who is only 6-9 and relies on a strength advantage to get position that I don't see him having in the NBA. He is crafty around the hoop with headfakes and pivots (although I think he gets away with lifting his pivot foot quite a bit), and you can't deny his hustle/intensity, but I think his lack of lift can be exposed at the next level. Also I haven't seen the passing ability out of the low post this year that you mention, in fact I think he has become a bit of a black hole down low this year.

He's also already 21 years old so I wonder about how much more he will develop. Last year he had some good games against NBA caliber players like Ced Simmons and Shelden Williams, but this year the two potential NBA caliber players he's played against, Morris and Heytvelt, have dominated their individual matchups. He hasn't really shown much improvement in his skillset in my eyes.

Clearly this is all just my opinion based on what I've seen last year and this year. But I agree with DB, if he's available when the Lakers pick, it's a no brainer.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

Tyler Hansbrough = Michael Bradley???

Is that a fair comparison?

Michael impressed me back in college (6-9, 6-10 or so; skilled in the post; shot for a high %, rebounded well), but did NOTHING in the L.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject:

Bradley never had that kind of tenacity. All fundamentals though, which is why he shot such an insane NCAA FG%.

LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Draftexpress today basically echoed what I have noticed with Hansbrough this year.

LINK
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: