Who is Having the Better Season? Matt Leinart or Vince Young?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Who is Having the Better Season? Matt Leinart or Vince Young?

Neither QB was the opening day starter. They have been compared since they squared off in the NC game last year. So now that they are pros, who's better -- Matt Leinart or Vince Young?

The skinny:

Matt is 164-295 (55.6%) for 1939 yards
Vince 129-257 (50.2%) for 1486 yards

http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=ari
http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=ten

Matt has the better receiving corps and is the more polished QB at this point in time. Vince brings a whole dimension that Matt does not have: escapability and sheer athleticism (372 rushing yards at 6.0 yards/carry).

Neither team is playoff bound although with Kurt Warner/The Edge/Tight receiving corps -- Arizona was supposed to be balling. Arizona is 3-9 and Titals are 5-7. (VY is 5-5 as a starter while Matt is 2-7).

When the season ends, who will end up having the better season? My vote is for Vince since he is doing more with less.

Thoughts?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

i'll take vince.
NappyFox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

I think both will be pretty good QB's in a few years, but Matt will be better in the long run.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Vince for now.... he has more wins, with less talent....

After Denny Green is canned, let's talk...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm still pissed Vince came back and beat the Giants
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

I'm still pissed Vince came back and beat USC!
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
encina1 wrote:

I'm still pissed Vince came back and beat USC!

I'm still pissed Vince came back and beat OSU!

I like Vince Young, and would rather have him. He is doing more with less talent right now. I do think Matt is going to be a very good Qb though.

Last edited by C-BUS LAKERFAN on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

I'll pass on the mobile Qb's, and a knee injury waitng too happen, book it.

Daunte Cullpeper = 3 torn ligaments
Donovan Mcnabb= Torn Acl
Michael Vick = Broken Leg (also the most sacked qb in the nfl usually)?

I know only the cullpepper injury was one where a qb was running, but in the nfl, its hard enough for a pocket passer too make it 16 games. Take a scrambling running qb, increseas injury factore that much more. Ide bet my chances on leinhart having a longer more productive career. Even though young seems too have that "it" factor.
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Gotta go with Vince. Don't get me wrong Leinart is a good QB, and not to take anything away from him, but for the most part he's always had talented guys surrounding him. It would be interesting to see how each would flourish or fail if they switched places.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:

I don't claim to know much - if anything - about the Titans, but I do know that although Leinart has some talent at the skill positions, it doesn't mean much if your offensive line is perhaps the worst in football.

Leinart is doing a phenomenal job considering what he has up front. I think Leinart is doing great right now, and assuming they get him some help, will be even better. Young's running skills would come in handy if he played for Arizona, but it wouldn't be running for first downs as much as it'd be running for the good of his health.

The Titans have rushed for 700 more yards than the Cards, and Arizona QBs have been sacked 29 times compared to 18 for the Titans. Now, some of that can be contributed to the mobility of Vince of course, but it's not just that. Watch the Cards games, and watch Leinart flushed from the pocket as much as he is. Making throws on the run, something he didn't have to do much at SC. The fact that he's completed 55% of his passes is amazing in itself. Yeah, I think Leinart is going to be outstanding, but this is why football is the ultimate team game - because with no help up front, Edgerrin, Fitzgerald and Leinart cannot perform to their fullest.

Both are doing well, but I would hardly say that Leinart is doing it with more talent around him, unless the Titans O-line is just absolutely dreadful. They'd have to be, to be worse than Arizona's.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm actually thinking Vince Young will be the better pro. Coming into this season Leinert was supposedly the most "NFL-ready" QB, while Young was a work in progress who would take years to learn the game. Yet in the middle of their rookie year Young is already having more success than Leinert, and Young will get a lot better.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Vince>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Leinart forever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure what we can take out of 9 and 11 games, but Leinart has better passing numbers. More yards, better completion percentage and better QB rating. Young has 2 more TDs in 2 more games.

Where either of them go from here is anyone's guess, but to suggest Young is having 'more (personal) success' than Leinart isn't accurate.
Outside of the NYG game and maybe the Baltimore game, Young has fairly modest numbers, and has thrown for over 200 yards twice.

Leinart has topped 200 six times, with a high of 405.

I think I would like the chances of a rookie QB who throws for 400 yards in his 8th game getting better once he's played a full season.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Vince is just a winner. His team (the Titans-who aren't very talented) is 5-7 and almost beat the Colts and the Ravens. Yes, Matt has better numbers, but I'd take Vince over him any day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject:

Vince Young has also rushed for 350 more yards, 2 more TD's, and 17 more rushing 1st downs than Leinert.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:

I believe that VY will be ok, despite people labeling him strictly as a running QB. He is a winner. Put him in Arizona and watch them go like 12-4. Not knocking Leinart (I hate he is the Cowboys' division), but VY adds a demension to a team that keeps Def Coordinator's up late at night.

Once VY fully understands the pro game look out.

PS - he is not Michael Vick
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Vince Young just beat the Houston Texans single handedly. Vince is gonna be the MJ of the NFL.
flashakadrano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:

i'd take vince over leinart anyday on any team.

vince is just a winner.

is it me or does vince love making comebacks? he seems to be invisible until the game is on the line... then he's invinceable.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Leinart > Vince

Leinart is putting up good numbers behind an atrocious O-line. Vince Young's passing is pretty bad, he's lucky he can run pretty damn good. But we all know that running quarterbacks can't carry teams to victory, just ask Mike Vick. When your team needs that 4th quarter comeback, you need your qb to stay in the pocket and make that crucial pass. Once Arizona gets the line situation straightened out, Leinart will improve tremendously. However, I was the biggest Young hater when he got drafted, and now he's kind of won me over. Once he learns to pass better, he's gonna be dangerous. I just hope he doesn't end up like Vick and rely on his running every game. A qb that can't pass won't survive in the playoffs.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

Vince 8-4 as a starter
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:

Vince Young is out of his mind, he is a winner and that cannot be denied.

Think anyone still thinks he should be starting over Stinkin' Kerry Collins?
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Leinart's done for the year with the shoulder injury, but he was having a nice game prior to getting hit........ again.

I just hope the Cards can do something about their atrocious line before next season. Leinart's going to be a great QB, but I just hope he gets some protection at some point.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: