LAKERS -at- NETS - 12/22 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Dylandogg wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
What song is that lyric from?

I think it is Beck, "loser"

I had my bases covered, no matter what the outcome.

Just seemed appropriate with the total coast job we did at the end and the lights going out.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:

I have to put those last three minutes on Phil though. When Bynum got his fifth with 2:48 left to go, he sent Mikki Moore to the line for the three point play to pull NJ within 10. Before that sequence, the Nets had only scored 9 points all quarter to the Lakers 22.

Then, for some unknown reason, Phil subs Luke for Bynum. Presumably, Phil is thinking he wants to switch everything on the perimeter, but with the Nets' inability to score the entire quarter, and Kidd, Carter, and RJ on the floor, you have to think they're going to take everything to the basket absent a shot blocker. Sure enough, as soon as Bynum leaves, Jefferson goes to the besket for two easy scores, NJ has cut the lead to six, and regained momentum.

Definitely a major chunk on him. He could have had them running something different on the offensive end, too, but they went with the spread to stall for time. Very passive. That set the tone. But they had just enough room to squeak by, I guess. Thankfully Carter didn't hit that three.

Last edited by DancingBarry on Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

did anybody else see the airball free throw from kwame. did it really miss as bad as it looked like it did. i mean, that thing might have been a good foot or two away from the rim.

i dont think even shaq ever missed one that badly.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject:

^ I think I mentioned in the report that it was one of the worst one's I've ever seen.
supermegamen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject:

It really sucks that kcal didn't show the last 14 seconds of the game. I watched it on YES and the end of the game was hilarious! Rick Fox grabbed a hat, put it on and stood right next to Vince Carter on the Nets last inbound pass. He was distracting him and Nets Fans on the sidelines were screaming to make the refs notice him, but they didn't.

The funny thing about it was that Rick actually had his seat on the other side of the floor!

Rick was definitely the player of the game!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject:

It's pretty impressive how the bench players are stepping up on the road. I wouldn't have been shocked to see them wilt...because that's pretty common (particularly w/ young guys) away from home...but they are showing a lot of character.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
encina1 wrote:
The way things are going, is Kwame better as the starting C?
Well, you definitely need to monitor Bynum's minutes. You don't want to run him into the ground. Also, Kwame leads the team in +/-, so we seem to play a bit better with him out there. I think Phil needs to stay on top of both him and Bynum to make sure they are always playing with energy. When it's all said and done, it's not who starts but who finishes. Phil will probably keep changing that up depending out how each plays that particular game.
Quote:
And will Farmar ever overtake Smush for the start?
I thought before the season even started that Farmar would not start this season, but would likely start next season. We'll see. Again, you don't want to run him into the ground in his first year. We ran Smush into the ground last year with too many minutes. Plus, Farmar is still learning teams on the fly. It might be better to have him watching from the bench to pick up what is going on in a game before coming out there. I think Phil probably keeps Smush starting all season unless he really goes into a tailspin or has an injury.
Quote:
When Odom returns, the only sure starters are Kobe, Odom, and Walton?
I'm not so sure I would put Luke in that group. Phil may want him running the O in the second unit at some point down the line.
DB: Re: Bynum/Kwame - what type of players does Kwame plays best against and the same with Bynum? My POV is that (at this point of their respective careers) Bynum is best against more traditional type of players that have a name - since he seems to be more energetic against them (youth). Kwame seems better against PF-type of centers where quick feet are a prerequisite. How long do you think it will take for Bynum to be able to defend the P&R good enough for more PT?

Re: Smush/Farmar - How much of a disadvantage you feel exists when Smush is in the game? This is noted because he is not really a PG (not efficient/trustworthy in bringing up the ball against pressure) or a SG (he's a streaky shooter that has never shown the talent/potential of scoring over 20 points). If he was a Bruce Bowen-type player (somebody in a traditional position where scoring is expected) that has a defensive "lock-down" ability/identity to his game - maybe that would be something valuable. As Stu/Charles/Kenny the Jet/etc. have often stated, every team and every player needs an identity and I don't what Smush's identity is - what's your take? (Note: I don't think that Phil will take him out of the starting lineup this year, might limit the PT though)

DancingBarry wrote:
RYZ wrote:

I have to put those last three minutes on Phil though. When Bynum got his fifth with 2:48 left to go, he sent Mikki Moore to the line for the three point play to pull NJ within 10. Before that sequence, the Nets had only scored 9 points all quarter to the Lakers 22. Then, for some unknown reason, Phil subs Luke for Bynum. Presumably, Phil is thinking he wants to switch everything on the perimeter, but with the Nets' inability to score the entire quarter, and Kidd, Carter, and RJ on the floor, you have to think they're going to take everything to the basket absent a shot blocker. Sure enough, as soon as Bynum leaves, Jefferson goes to the besket for two easy scores, NJ has cut the lead to six, and regained momentum.
Definitely a major chunk on him. He could have had them running something different on the offensive end, too, but they went with the spread to stall for time. Very passive. That set the tone. But they had just enough room to squeak by, I guess. Thankfully Carter didn't hit that three.
On radio, Mychal (to the best of my demented memory) commented that Phil might be doing some "teaching" on the court at the end of this game?!?! Maybe Phil was trying to apply more perimeter defensive pressure since he wanted to "switch" every time while eliminating any clean 3-point shots. It seems to be a good theory, but the execution was not there. Plus, somebody (doesn't need to be a "big") has to step into the lane to make Jefferson move/pitch/make a harder shot.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
On radio, Mychal (to the best of my demented memory) commented that Phil might be doing some "teaching" on the court at the end of this game?!?! Maybe Phil was trying to apply more perimeter defensive pressure since he wanted to "switch" every time while eliminating any clean 3-point shots. It seems to be a good theory, but the execution was not there. Plus, somebody (doesn't need to be a "big") has to step into the lane to make Jefferson move/pitch/make a harder shot.

No doubt, whenever Phil does anything, it's with a purpose. There's unquestionably a reason behind he does everything on a basketball court.

The problem is, it's often absolutely maddening to sit through it.

Like I said, NJ didn't figure to be looking at threes when Phil took Bynum out of the game. They couldn't hit anything the entire quarter, and removing their lone resistance under the basket was just begging them to go to the hole. It wasn't about execution, it was about strategy: By pressuring the perimeter the Lakers were inviting the drive, and inviting the drive without a shot blocker on hand is a bad idea.

And while yes, in theory, somebody/anybody needs to step in and force one of the slashers into a tougher shot, Luke Walton and Vlad Rad aren't going to deter anyone in the NBA from going to the rack, let alone Richard Jefferson and Vince freaking Carter.

So I'm sure Mychal Thompson was right, Phil was teaching; but it was an odd lesson at an odd time with almost disastrous results.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
Quote:
NJ didn't figure to be looking at threes when Phil took Bynum out of the game. They couldn't hit anything the entire quarter, and removing their lone resistance under the basket was just begging them to go to the hole. It wasn't about execution, it was about strategy: By pressuring the perimeter the Lakers were inviting the drive, and inviting the drive without a shot blocker on hand is a bad idea. And while yes, in theory, somebody/anybody needs to setep in and force one of the slashers into a tougher shot, Luke Walton and Vlad Rad aren't going to deter anyone in the NBA from going to the rack, let alone Richard Jefferson and Vince freaking Carter. So I'm sure Mychal Thompson was right, Phil was teaching; but it was an odd lesson at an odd time with almost disastrous results.
Phil's lineup of Smush/Luke/Kobe/Vlad/Evans can switch on everything with the Nets' lineup of Carter/Jefferson/Kidd/Moore/Adams. The Nets were looking for 3s because with the injury of Krstic and the score. Guarding the paint with Moore and Adams - non-scoring threats - on the court with seemingly the best Lakers defenders playing. Note: Evans was guarding Carter well.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Kwame and Bynum were useful, and they had a few highlights, between them... I hope this game has not established a trend, however, for our bigs. We're going to need more from, both, Drew, and Kwame, with less turnovers.

Just too many turnovers. Many things we tried, were good, but the execution was too sloppy, and led to too many turnovers.

I guess I haven't learned my lesson, because I'm still quesioning Phil's rotations... Phil didn't use that energy team, in quite the same way. Farmar didn't get enough minutes, for my taste. Kobe stayed on the floor, for quite a long time, for someone with upper respiratory problems.

Cook, and Sasha are doing better, than we had expected. Vlad's shot is coming along. One of the biggest disappointments was the play of Luke... Luke had me thinking... "I sure wish we had a smarter team... Why do we always have spaced out players, in recent years??"
When Luke's Game is on, he looks smart, but games like this...
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject:

D-Dogg wrote:
Farmar had a great game...

He's really fast, and not like a sprinter, but ball-fast (pushing the ball, driving, etc.) I love the kid a ton...he's a winner and you can't teach winner.

I thought the best thing, from Farmar, was no turnovers!!
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject:

As for Farmar, I'll go on record as someone who didn't like him as the Laker's No. 1 pick during the recent draft. I wasn't impressed by what I saw out of him at UCLA. I thought he was one of those players who peaked in HS.

His play, however, has made me completely change my appraisal. He is the only natural PG on the squad. He has much better instincts than Smush or Sasha. he's more decisive, and is guttier. He also seems to know the offense better than any of them. I think the second unit's play during this recent strencth would not have been as good with, say, Sasha playing in Farmar's place. Farmar has set the pace and the focus of the team.

Smuch is more talented physically, and if he played with as much purpose as farmar, would be the superior player. But Smush tends to drift and play awfully passive more often than not.

I don't know of Farmar has earned the right to start yet, but it wouldn't upset me. Maybe he would regress if playing asa a starter because his physical shortcomings would be exposed. But I think it's a good sign that he seems to hold his own with players like Marcus Wiliams, who will be a starter in this league. Some speedy guards have given farmar problems on defense, but i actually look forward to watching farmar during the rematches because he strikes me as the kind of player that doesn't make the same mistakes twice.

Moving on: I want to see a Kobe-Mo big backcourt for selected stretches of time. AT the end of games, Kobe is the de facto PG anyway, so it wouldn't be disastrous to have another big guard going with him. I think Mo, more than any of the guards not named Kobe, has the physical tools to play defense on speedy guards and, while not completely shutting them down, can give them fits with his size and speed. Also, he can be punishing on the other end. He may be the most physically explosive Laker.

Also: Rad is showing signs of rounding into form. Beautiful form and arc on that jumper. So relaxed.

Finally: I've always like Bynum, even when other people kept being (hyper-)critical of his putative physical abilities/skills. I like him even better now. You can see the makings of a very good player. I think the Laker brass is bringing him around at just the right speed. He's becoming a game-changer with his defense. Yes, he still gets caught out of position at times, but he has the tools and reach to recover and still bother shooters.

I don't trade Bynum for anyone in the NBA because he is the rarest of commodities: a young seven footer with game on both ends and a long career in front of him. The Lakers took a risk and it is paying off big time. No way they trade him. Not even for KG in a multi-player deal. I don't see that happening.

SGH
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
How long do you think it will take for Bynum to be able to defend the P&R good enough for more PT?

Honestly, I think that's very, very hard to guess at. It could be that he gets so much better at all the other aspects of his game that Phil just copes with his P&R D...like Shaq. Or, maybe he just gradually learns to take better angles and read the situation better, and next season he gets better, and the season after that...

Quote:

Re: Smush/Farmar - How much of a disadvantage you feel exists when Smush is in the game?

Talk about a leading question. When Smush hustles on D, helps double the bigs and cause problems, uses his length to hound his man...he can be pretty effective. But that type of effort isn't always there. I think he and Farmar definitely bring some nice differences to the table defensively (when Smush is putting in the effort). That steal on Nash last year isn't the kind of thing Farmar will probably give you simply because Smush has that massive wing span. Farmar can manufacture big steals (did in the Tourney last year) but that type of steal is something Smush is built for. Farmar will hustle every play on D, rotate and challenge shots on the perimeter...something he's always done. Over the long haul, that will help get you a couple more misses per game.

Offensively, Smush cannot create like Jordan...so I would be careful sometimes about the lineups. He's better when there are playmakers on the floor and he can work off of that. Farmar can playmake or play off the ball, and is especially effective in our offense because of that.

Farmar is at a disadvantage in the experience department. He still makes rookie mistakes, rookie fouls, those kinds of things. Often, that's when you see Phil sub him out, because he hasn't quite gotten to the level of trust.

I still think we need a third guard. A big defensive guard...having a some post skills would be nice, as well, since Farmar won't give you that. Smush we don't seem to have a lot of trust in his post game, but I'd actually like to see more of it.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject:

DB,

About that needed third guard ... doesn't Mo fit that bill precisely?

SGH
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:

SGH - Not sure how to word this, but I can tell we are getting some individual lockdown D when I want to see an opponent try to attack one of our players. In the past, I've had those feelings with Shaq, Kobe and George on certain match ups. You could see them just surprise guys as they are trying to make their moves and force them into a bad situation. I've gotten that same feeling this season with both Bynum and Farmar on certain nights. (Obviously, there are nights when that feeling isn't there, but that was even the case with the other defenders listed above).

When guys try to get space to shoot on Farmar, he recovers so well sometimes that he is back on top of them as they are shooting. It is great to watch. Bynum's length just eats people up at times. He also seems to almost get into a frenzy or burst of D sometimes, too, where he gives you stretches of anchoring our D superbly.

Point is...just getting a few games of superb D from those guys at this stage of their career is a very good sign. It also happens to be among our two biggest weaknesses heading into this season. So...if they can develop that with experience, we've got a nice future.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
DB,

About that needed third guard ... doesn't Mo fit that bill precisely?

SGH

I don't think so. I'm more thinking about a guy like Pietrus. Mo does like a Poorman's version of what I would like.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I should add, yes...he does give us a lot of that. But I'd just like to see a higher level on both ends of the floor. Mo can give you serviceable D and serviceable O. He's a nice utility player, but I think we really need someone a notch above. It could cost us a lot more, but I think we'd get some good mileage out of it.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:

bummed ;

.......heard it on the news (still traveling & away from my beloved noCal).

yao with a tibial plateau fracture ( major ). I've become very fond of yao's progress in the past several years. last year, he had that LEFT toe infection, followed by breaking his LEFT foot.....

and our gov's fractured his leg....... on a black diamond hill (wow.... considering his body mass, age, and his job, etc..... I'd suggest a less challenging endeavor, except he's ARNOLD (& I'm not ). and like yao, also his RIGHT tibia.

prayers and thoughts with both!

I hope it's not a season of attrition (then Philly or god forbid DETROIT might make it to the finals ....... along with maybe denver or LA? hmmmmmmm..........

guys STAY HEALTHY (or MINIMALLY injured)! (we've ALREADY been battered with MORE than our share of injuries).
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair, wrote, in part:

I don't know of Farmar has earned the right to start yet, but it wouldn't upset me. Maybe he would regress if playing asa a starter because his physical shortcomings would be exposed. But I think it's a good sign that he seems to hold his own with players like Marcus Wiliams, who will be a starter in this league. Some speedy guards have given farmar problems on defense, but i actually look forward to watching farmar during the rematches because he strikes me as the kind of player that doesn't make the same mistakes twice.
[End Quote]

Personally, I don't think it's a matter of having earned the right, as much as it's a matter of acceptance, by the rest of the team. The rest of the team has to be willing to play with Farmar, at the tempo that he sets. The team has to also be willing to accept, and understand Farmar's decisions, on the court. As in all of life, there are many little unconscious likes, and dislikes (some, politically motivated), which affect our outward behavior. It is my own observation, that, yes, indeed, many players seem to look, as if, they had regressed, when they are given the starting role. In many cases, the, seeming, regression, I feel, is due to the lack of support, from the rest of the team. Of course, there is also the lack of familiarity, in some cases, because some players haven't worked together enough. The more significant factor, however, in my mind, is that unconditional acceptance. Every Laker has to erase all their inner prejudices, or politically-motivated feelings, and just accept Farmar, as the starting PG. Everyone must be willing to understand Farmar's style, and what he's trying to accomplish, on the court. I really feel, that when the Lakers do these things, we will see a much smoother flow, to our offense. We should also see much more effectiveness, in our execution.

Unfortunately, what I sometimes see, on the court, is what looks like two, or three Lakers, fighting for the right to run, or instigate the offense. I've seen players running the wing, as trailers, and being totally ignored, while someone's more favorite buddy is targeted, for an ill-fated pass, in traffic... I may be wrong, but these are some of my perceptions, while watching some games.

I agree, with Golden Hair's perceptions, about Jordan's decision-making abilities. Jordan also seems to have the best court-awareness, which most Lakers seem to lack. All of the top point guards have the ability to know, almost instinctively, what is going on, in all areas of the court. A great point guard is also very aware of the team's rhythm, and he knows how to set the tempo. None of these things can happen, however, without the full support, of the rest of the team!
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
RYZ wrote:
Quote:
NJ didn't figure to be looking at threes when Phil took Bynum out of the game. They couldn't hit anything the entire quarter, and removing their lone resistance under the basket was just begging them to go to the hole. It wasn't about execution, it was about strategy: By pressuring the perimeter the Lakers were inviting the drive, and inviting the drive without a shot blocker on hand is a bad idea. And while yes, in theory, somebody/anybody needs to setep in and force one of the slashers into a tougher shot, Luke Walton and Vlad Rad aren't going to deter anyone in the NBA from going to the rack, let alone Richard Jefferson and Vince freaking Carter. So I'm sure Mychal Thompson was right, Phil was teaching; but it was an odd lesson at an odd time with almost disastrous results.
Phil's lineup of Smush/Luke/Kobe/Vlad/Evans can switch on everything with the Nets' lineup of Carter/Jefferson/Kidd/Moore/Adams. The Nets were looking for 3s because with the injury of Krstic and the score. Guarding the paint with Moore and Adams - non-scoring threats - on the court with seemingly the best Lakers defenders playing. Note: Evans was guarding Carter well.

I know that Laker lineup was switchable, the point is, the Lakers didn't need a switchable lineup because nothing was falling for NJ for the entire quarter. Let them continue to run off their screens and brick jumpers, but whatever you do, don't beg them to go to the basket on you when you don't have someone guarding the rim. When a team has 9 points through 9 minutes, removing the only shot blocker from their path is an answer to their prayers.

It was undeniably a 'Phil' move, but it was a bad one.
spickx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Man i know Farmar can jump, but dude was up there with that 2 hand dunk.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
RYZ wrote:
Quote:
I know that Laker lineup was switchable, the point is, the Lakers didn't need a switchable lineup because nothing was falling for NJ for the entire quarter. Let them continue to run off their screens and brick jumpers, but whatever you do, don't beg them to go to the basket on you when you don't have someone guarding the rim. When a team has 9 points through 9 minutes, removing the only shot blocker from their path is an answer to their prayers. It was undeniably a 'Phil' move, but it was a bad one.
We are in agreement that Phil is planning for a future situation that is unknown to us - it was a good gamble since Mike Moore and Adams are not offensive threats that allows the Laker defender to "roam" while defending the paint. As noted during the game - they were definitely of the mindset to shoot 3s. Hey - only the future will tell us what Phil had in mind
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: