LAKERS -at- KINGS - 1/4 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject:

Kobe played at a MVP level last night. If he can play like this 70% of the time he'll lead the Lakers to 52 wins atleast IMO. Anyone who watched last night will tell have a good long look at the standings and think about giving it to him this season.

Bynum - Stepped up. Loved the play early. He is still a bit indecisive but that is acceptable. Most of his mistakes are acceptable. I'm just impressed that everytime he's called in to step up, he does. He has no fear it seems and has that belief he belongs out there with the best. One of the things I really hope he works on this summer is his strength. He will be a force once he can put it all together.

DB - I think the Lakers showed again why defense is seperating them from the top spot in the league. The teams like Dallas and SA do not have the amount of defensive issues that the Lakers do. I don't know if this is something that will drastically change once Lamar comes back or if we need some personnel change. Maybe Phil thinks this team can "turn it on" by playoffs .. I'm not sure of that strategy. I think it worked for the Heat last season, who were an average defensive team (with alot of poor perimeter D) all regular season but then switched gears defensively in the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
XXL32
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:

Kobe has to literally earn every inch he gets, and often doesn’t get many other inches he’s earned, while you can’t breathe on the new poster boys without a whistle blowing.

I think Kobe has to earn every inch with some refs because of his behavior in the early years and as recent as a year ago. I know as a fan I grew impatient and irritated at his yelling out as he went up for a shot in traffic, hoping to get the call on a less then high percentage shot. He spent some years begging and being melodramatic about calls or non calls. Not to say other players don't do the same but not many are not of the same caliber as Kobe.

TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:

Several posters commented last night as to how big Bynum was, which I definitely with. And you can tell the difference in his jumps. It's very unusual because you rarely see a guy changing his appearance so quickly in-season. I definitely think someone is relaying some information here to management(could it be you DB?) Either that, or management's thinking and mine are EXTREMELY similar.

Anyway, I just hope his knees will hold up. I think changing his diet is a good step. When you eat fast food and definitely sugar, they leech nutrients like calcium from the body, making you more vulnerable to injury. I would go a step further and think that he should look into something called vegetable juicing. They are like vitamins but are much more absorbable.

However, he still needs a lot protein(to grow) so I wouldn't do this just yet(unless he can do both, which a guy his size might be able to), but it's certainly an option.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject:

How about Sasha's patented foul the guy 80 feet from the basket with the team out of fouls play?

It isn't like it is a surprise, that seems to be one of his specialities (along with trying to touch his teammates faces with his hands all the time, ugh)

I think there should be a special Emoticon for Sasha's patented play (fouling for no reason with the ball on the other side of halfcourt and the team out of fouls), I would suggest a toilet flushing.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject:

XXL32 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

Kobe has to literally earn every inch he gets, and often doesn’t get many other inches he’s earned, while you can’t breathe on the new poster boys without a whistle blowing.

I think Kobe has to earn every inch with some refs because of his behavior in the early years and as recent as a year ago. I know as a fan I grew impatient and irritated at his yelling out as he went up for a shot in traffic, hoping to get the call on a less then high percentage shot. He spent some years begging and being melodramatic about calls or non calls. Not to say other players don't do the same but not many are not of the same caliber as Kobe.

Funny, that type of behavior never cost Bird, MJ, or Reggie Miller those calls...

I think a lot of the reason Kobe became more of a jump shooter was the fact that he gets more consistent calls getting a guy in the air (hence, the love affair with pump fakes) then he does by going to the hole and drawing a lot of contact.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject:

^
Lanny as crap as Sasha can be at times, you have to admit in the last 2 weeks he's finally doing what he's supposed to. Shoot - and shoot well. I think he's up to 39% now and this is all because he's shooting around 50% the last 2 weeks.

Season is a marathon. We all know Sasha isn't 1st round pick material but if he gives you anything .. it's a bonus. He is in the right role - finally. Not a backup PG. Third string PG/SG who gets 8-10 minutes at most. If he continues to shoot well, you play him. If he stop shooting well, you DNP-Coaches decision his ass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
Lanny as crap as Sasha can be at times, you have to admit in the last 2 weeks he's finally doing what he's supposed to. Shoot - and shoot well. I think he's up to 39% now and this is all because he's shooting around 50% the last 2 weeks.

Season is a marathon. We all know Sasha isn't 1st round pick material but if he gives you anything .. it's a bonus. He is in the right role - finally. Not a backup PG. Third string PG/SG who gets 8-10 minutes at most. If he continues to shoot well, you play him. If he stop shooting well, you DNP-Coaches decision his ass.

I hear you, but the next time he fouls someone for no reason on the other side of the halfcourt line with the team out of fouls.....I would deactivate him for the next 10 games as a punishment.

I don't understand why he is playing ahead of Shammond. Williams is better in every facet of the game, except for trying to man kiss his teammates.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
I don't care what any "objective" fans say about the ref's treatment of Kobe -- my eyes tell me, and have told me for several seasons, that they treat him appallingly. He gets grabbed, pushed, swatted at, wrestled down to the ground, and HIT repeatedly with nary a whistle. It is irrelevant that he shot 20 FTS tonite -- he should have shot 30+ easily. The number of non-calls he gets (where the foul is blatant) is off the charts. The "traditional" rationale on some of the swallowed whistles (when they occur late in games or at the end of quarters) is that the refs want the players to decide the game. Well then why in the hell does Kobe get whisteled for that awful call against Bibby which almost cost them the game?

It's ludicrous and appalling. Anyone who refuses to see the blatant and systematic bias is either blind, in denial, an idiot or a closet Kobe/laker hater.

Kobe shoots a lot of free throws, you say? Not as many as he deserves with his play.

Sorry, but this league is crooked.

SGH

Have to agree. I hate whining about refs, but even my wife, who can easily blast Kobe for about 6-7 of his shots in any given game without blinking, couldn't believe it when Kobe got hit IN THE HEAD while driving in the closing seconds of regulation... and no whistle was blown.

MIM
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
ocho wrote:
i am against all types of ref complaints. i think most of the time the complaints about the refs occur because a fan is upset their team got beat and are looking for an excuse. i think it's a lame excuse most of the time.

however tonight i cannot argue with the anti-ref people. the officiating was so one-sided, so inconsistent, so unfair, and so seemingly malicious it made me sick. the benefit of tivo is that i can rewind posessions and count the number of times kobe is hacked on a play with no call and on the very next possession, watch kevin martin get grazed and here a whistle right away. the refs really seemed like they wanted to either give the kings the game or keep it as close as possible. it was unconscionably disgusting.

this helped to make the victory all the more sweeter. the lakers gutted it out. they had to deal with the bad calls and the kings free throws and the cowbells and the pressure and they came out on top. nobody in the world can call kobe selfish. NOBODY. not anyone who watches the games. Lots of people stepped up. smush, walton, bynum, mo, vlad.....props to all. great win.
Nice post. I agree 100%. I try not to let the refs bug me too much, but last night was ludicrous. I'd love to see Ronnie Nunn try and explain some of these calls on his show. And Charles is right. Bevetta and Kersey BOTH need to retire. btw, I was forced to watch the TNT broadcast last night and was pleasantly surprised with how good a job Charles did. And I can't wait to see that footrace between Charles and Bevetta. Nice job DB as usual and great game by da boyz. It took me a long time to unwind and go to sleep last night, but it was worth it.
The bad thing about the game is that they allowed the Kings back into the game. The good thing is that they learn how to win despite how the refs were calling the game.

The bad thing was listening to Sir Charles' uninformed commentary (i.e. can teams move the ball when they call a 20 second time out, 24 out of 28 points were in the paint despite Cook's points in the perimeter?!?!) - though entertaining. The good thing was the ability to listen to Joel and Stu give their enjoyable AND informed analysis.

The bad thing is that Bynum wasn't more aggressive after the first quarter and that the Lakers didn't go to him more (Sir Charles' commentes). The good thing is that Phil was teaching him on P&R defense and Bynum became more aggressive on the boards.

The bad thing is that the refs were calling SO MANY innocous fouls (Sir Charles' commentary - "I was kissed harder than that foul") while missing the obvious call on Kobe at the end of the game. The good thing is there were two veteran refs that normally call good and clean games.

The bad thing is that Sasha fouled out in short PT. The good thing is that he hit some clutch shots and aggressive (sometimes overly) aggressive defense.

The Bottom Line - Lakers Won a Road Game - an ugly game that good teams have to win
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Bynum was killing the offense in the 2nd half with his indecision. It was like watching the Kings of yesteryear, when things would be going so well, then all of a sudden Webber would start holding the ball 5-7 seconds at a time. And that is what I was talking about earlier this year when I mentioned Bynum is a "ball-stopper" in the offense.

Really needs to stop that. It's a bad habit that is hard to be broke. (Webber, Kobe, etc)
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Bynum was killing the offense in the 2nd half with his indecision. It was like watching the Kings of yesteryear, when things would be going so well, then all of a sudden Webber would start holding the ball 5-7 seconds at a time. And that is what I was talking about earlier this year when I mentioned Bynum is a "ball-stopper" in the offense.

Really needs to stop that. It's a bad habit that is hard to be broke. (Webber, Kobe, etc)

I think a part of that is Phil. Certainly Bynum needs to recognize when to attack and when to pass but I really believe Phil wants him to pass first, score second. With a young inexperienced player that can screw with his head.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.

A couple things: As hot as Bibby got at the start, Farmar had a hand in his face on almost every single one of those shots. To Bibby's credit, he knocked down some tough ones, nearly all of them contested. Contrast this with Smush's total lack of interest v. Bibby; his loafing around the court trailing him; and his typical sluggish stumbles through and around sceens, and you've a really poor second half defensive effort against Mike Bibby. Phil has to recognize that despite Bibby's performance against him, Farmar was the only one challenging his shots, and get Jordan back in the game at some point in the third quarter.

The other thing is that Phil is clearly afraid of young players ie. Bynum. It's like he's sitting there the whole game waiting for Drew to confirm his fears, and when Bynum slips up, Phil comes with the quick, sometimes untimely hook. When he subbed Vlade for Bynum at the 2:40 mark of the fourth, as much as I could see it coming, I still couldn't believe it. How in the world, when you're desperately clinging to a shriveled lead, can you take out your only rim guarding presence, unless you replace him with Turiaf. Now granted, Bynum was not playing pick and role well, but for a coach who is famous for not panicking, there's one glaring exception: young players. Let him play and learn Phil.

There's no coincidence between Bynum starting and the Lakers not falling behind early for one of the only times in the last month. Shot changing on 'D', and an honest to goodness low post triangle hub on 'O' are very stabilizing forces for this team, even if they're eminating from a 19 year old.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

I think a part of that is Phil. Certainly Bynum needs to recognize when to attack and when to pass but I really believe Phil wants him to pass first, score second. With a young inexperienced player that can screw with his head.

What Bynum does depends a lot on what the rest of the team does. They do want him to pass first. But if they run one cut off him and then stop, the offense will look stagnant. They did that a lot. I'd sit back and watch some of those sets last night and it reminded me of the old Shaq days (Del era) where we'd dump it in and watch...except Bynum isn't at that level yet. It's very much a two-way street because he's a willing passer. They need to cycle through their second wave of cuts more, coming off screens from the weakside or dive cutting down the lane. But we did a lot of dump, make one cut and watch.

Sometimes they do need to let him do his own thing, though, because one of the first options in the Tri is to collapse the D at the center spot. So, if they send doubles that will open things up. But I think that will be more of an issue in the future.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

DB - I think the Lakers showed again why defense is seperating them from the top spot in the league. The teams like Dallas and SA do not have the amount of defensive issues that the Lakers do. I don't know if this is something that will drastically change once Lamar comes back or if we need some personnel change. Maybe Phil thinks this team can "turn it on" by playoffs .. I'm not sure of that strategy. I think it worked for the Heat last season, who were an average defensive team (with alot of poor perimeter D) all regular season but then switched gears defensively in the playoffs.

It's a bit of both. Lamar will have a ripple effect on our match ups and help contain the boards. His flexibility is key. Kobe's health needs to get back up to where he can move with speed on the D end. He's not at lockdown level yet and probably needs a couple months.

And, I do think we need one more player. Someone who can basically duplicate Kobe's flexibility. Someone who can play the 1,2,3 spots defensively at a high level. We don't have that yet. Doesn't mean we can't compete with anyone, though. But, I think it's what we need to tighten things up.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I hear you, but the next time he fouls someone for no reason on the other side of the halfcourt line with the team out of fouls.....I would deactivate him for the next 10 games as a punishment.

I don't understand why he is playing ahead of Shammond. Williams is better in every facet of the game, except for trying to man kiss his teammates.

Those perimeter fouls when we are in the penalty kill me.

He's also playing ahead of Shammond because we use him a lot at the SG spot. He's usually playing along side one of our points. Shammond is too small for those match ups.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
A couple things: As hot as Bibby got at the start, Farmar had a hand in his face on almost every single one of those shots. To Bibby's credit, he knocked down some tough ones, nearly all of them contested. Contrast this with Smush's total lack of interest v. Bibby; his loafing around the court trailing him; and his typical sluggish stumbles through and around sceens, and you've a really poor second half defensive effort against Mike Bibby. Phil has to recognize that despite Bibby's performance against him, Farmar was the only one challenging his shots, and get Jordan back in the game at some point in the third quarter.

Farmar wasn't challenging like he normally does. He did make the effort, he always does...but it was a very cautious effort. I'm not sure if this was because Smush was in foul trouble early and Farmar didn't want to dig us deeper...or if he was just unsure a bit about what to do against Bibby. But he was never able to get to his extra gear and challenge on the perimeter with full hops like he is so good at sometimes.

Quote:

The other thing is that Phil is clearly afraid of young players ie. Bynum. It's like he's sitting there the whole game waiting for Drew to confirm his fears, and when Bynum slips up, Phil comes with the quick, sometimes untimely hook. When he subbed Vlade for Bynum at the 2:40 mark of the fourth, as much as I could see it coming, I still couldn't believe it. How in the world, when you're desperately clinging to a shriveled lead, can you take out your only rim guarding presence, unless you replace him with Turiaf. Now granted, Bynum was not playing pick and role well, but for a coach who is famous for not panicking, there's one glaring exception: young players. Let him play and learn Phil.

The youngins definitely test Phil's zen patience. That trigger finger of his in OT on Bynum was itchy.
D Nice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised you gave Bynum a positive "review." I thought he was just god awful, one of his worst games (#'s don't tell the entire story). He had half a foot on everyone he saw and was as tentative as could be. Then, when he decided to make a move, he waited really long, got happy feet, and turned it over. On the pick and roll he gave open layup, one after another to Williamson, and wide open shot, one after the other, to Shareef.

Which brings me to another point. Why does Drew just NOT get out on shooters? I mean Shareef, Kristic, Murphy, etc, have all had ample open jumpers whenever Bynum has been on them. And instincts/mobility is not an excuse, because he is mobile, long, and as we see in the paint has good shotblocking instincts. Is he just lazy?

I know we've been piling on Kwame lately, but we saw, in this game, why we need him so badly. Drew can't defend the pick and roll/pop to save his LIFE.

Last edited by D Nice on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Kwame is such a great defender that he gave up 3 consecutive dunks to Okafor on the exact same play right? Look, with the way the refs were calling the game, Bynum can't afford to be as aggressive. He had to back off Bibby so much that it affected his ability to recover. Ronny gets a lot of leeway from the refs, yet he still picked up 4 fouls in just 10 minutes.

Now, I'm not saying Bynum's pick-and-roll is great or even good, but it's nowhere as bad as it appeared in this game. Plus, it looked like from the side that the Kings ran the pick-and-roll that the guy from the corner should have rotated down.
D Nice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:
Kwame is such a great defender that he gave up 3 consecutive dunks to Okafor on the exact same play right? Look, with the way the refs were calling the game, Bynum can't afford to be as aggressive. He had to back off Bibby so much that it affected his ability to recover. Ronny gets a lot of leeway from the refs, yet he still picked up 4 fouls in just 10 minutes.

Now, I'm not saying Bynum's pick-and-roll is great or even good, but it's nowhere as bad as it appeared in this game. Plus, it looked like from the side that the Kings ran the pick-and-roll that the guy from the corner should have rotated down.
I didn't say Kwame was great, but at least he hedges and recovers...preventing shooters from getting great looks or bigs layups almost every single time. Drew's pick and roll defense was beyond weak, and the refs had nothing to do with it. You must be kidding if you think Ronny gets leeway from the the guys in stripes btw. He gets "Mihm calls."
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What Bynum does depends a lot on what the rest of the team does. They do want him to pass first. But if they run one cut off him and then stop, the offense will look stagnant. They did that a lot. I'd sit back and watch some of those sets last night and it reminded me of the old Shaq days (Del era) where we'd dump it in and watch

Yep. That's the way I see it. I do see him becoming a ball stopper at times because he's a bit indecisive. However he has shown many times that he knows how to pass if someone cuts around him. I guess what he's lacking is making the simple play. He wants to make a play to an open man and if there's noone cutting around him or open at the perimeter he holds onto it. While that's acceptable if you're a dominant post player, it's not going to be acceptable unless he starts being more aggressive with his own shot at that point. When you're single covereged like that - you need to go for the kill. All this is something he'll learn over the next 1-2 years IMO.

It's alot to ask the youngest least experienced player ever to start executing the Triangle and making decisions at a great level at 19 ... He's going to need some time. Ofcourse instant gratification will lead to unrealistic demands from a teenager.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject:

I think I pointed out all Bynum's shortcomings. At the end of the day, he had 15-11-3, with some young player mistakes. I don't think I'd expect too much more from him at this stage. He's going to have issues on any given night, that will be par for the course. I agree Kwame would have been a better match up because he can deal with the PF/SF types that Bynum had to go against. That is a very, very tricky situation for Bynum at his current stage of development. I don't think a lot of people quite grasp that. He's going to have a difficult time with their foot speed if he crowds them on the perimeter. Phil also told him to specifically stay back to deny penetration on those screen-rolls. Whether that is because Bynum is weak at show/recover or whether that's how Phil wanted it play is tough to say. He does have a weakness of not getting out to contest plaers sometimes -- I've brought that up on numerous occasions -- but last night was a little more complicated than that. The one time he did crowd and contest on the perimeter, they took off on the dribble and drew a foul on him. The Kings used the opportunity to their advantage and obviously never posted up like true post players would. On the other end, Bynum hasn't developed the strength and power yet to dominate. A year or two and he will destroy this type of match up.

...And yes Kwame and company got chewed up by the exact same high pick and roll...over and over again. Like Kwame said, the team as a whole stinks at it. I went on at length about what they needed to do after that Bobcats game...the same holds true here. Can't just heap it on one guy, it's systemic at times and they are often not on the same page (so to me, that becomes a coaching issue to some extent and a talent issue depending on what they are not doing). How they finally stopped it in the Bobcats game was with the third helper rotating off his man. They didn't get that last night with any kind of consistency.

Seemed to me a pretty average game from Bynum against a tricky match up. He is definitely still learning on the job, and he will be at that stage for a while. He's not going to give you an "automatic" anything right now, not at his level of greeness.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject:

^
Not to mention Phil having lectured Andrew to stay out of foul trouble. That may have robbed him of some aggression at times as well.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Bynum just doesn't play with aggression. Goes through the motions too often. Against any other team, and we lose that game as Bynum holds the ball waiting for someone else to make the plays.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Holy crud! it was late here in MI, and when Kobe did not get the call, I thought the game was over, so I went to bed.

And the Lakers won?!?!?!?!?!??! I avoided LG like the plague because I did not want to admit the loss.

Aaaaahhhhhhh!

Now I feel like an effin idiot!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Bynum just doesn't play with aggression. Goes through the motions too often. Against any other team, and we lose that game as Bynum holds the ball waiting for someone else to make the plays.

He sucks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: