NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 1/5 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
No, but Iverson is finding out that playing in the Western Conference is a whole new animal. He's a gunner. He likes to hoist up a lot of shots. But it's an inside/out game. The teams that succeed here have guards or wingmen who engage their bigs. AI is gonna have to forge an inside/out relationship with Camby or whoever their frontline is if Denver is to be successful with him leading.

Camby's a funny dude. He's so much more effective near the basket, but he hangs out at the top of the key and on the wings like he thinks he's Garnett.
farmarboys
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject:

gj Smush
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Evans 16 points off the bench on 7-12 shooting
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 1/5 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Turiaf -- --

Perfect emoticon for Ronny!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject:

thanks DB! if I hadn't watched the game and heard that kobe had 8 pts against the nuggets, I would've thought things didn't turn out so well or that he got injured. but that wasn't the case last night!

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.

Like I said yesterday, I don't think Kwame's absence and the team's quick starts are a coincidence. Bynum's reliable presence on offense and paint presence on defense are really important at the start of games. And like I've been saying all season, the Lakers can't afford to waste entire first halves trying to get Kwame warmed up, settled down, and into the flow of the game. I sure hope Phil doesn't reflexively hand the job back to Kwame upon his return this time.

Oh yeah: Ronny's hips sure seem to have healed quickly, eh?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Questions
P&R Defense: The Lakers still have some problems, despite the Nuggets obvious problems. How do you think that the Lakers can remedy the problem? On Mychal Thompson's interview with Kareem, he stated that when he was playing - he switched on P&R, but dived back to cover his own man. Another option stated (not Kareem) that somebody should rotate over to cover the player diving toward the paint while Bynum would rotate to the "cover man's" player. What is Phil's trying to do to defend against P&R when Bynum is in the game?

Your strategy should vary from game to game depending on opponent if you have players that can be flexible in that regard. I imagine, though, that Phil probably will try to utilize Bynum like Shaq for the time being...or try to rotate a third player and Bynum recovers on someone else. Hard to say. Fouls are an issue with our current injury situation, so you want to have Bynum do something he's not ready to do yet.

Quote:

Zone Defense: Having watched the Nuggets and Suns/Heat game, is there a reason why the Lakers don't have people cutting through the paint forcing the defensive team to move and adjust? Even during the Nuggets game, the Lakers were mainly on the perimeter and were saved by making 3s.

I would at the very least like to see them run the Triangle when a team zones us up. It's like guys stop moving, stop setting it up and running their cuts. They get psyched out. Then, of course, there are a host of things they aren't doing (back screens, ball fakes, etc. just basics they can then use to get penetration).

Quote:

Vlad: What is the latest status on his hand injury and how it is still affecting his shot? He must be frustrated on not being able to do what he does best?!?!?

Don't know on the injury. I do know he needs to pick his spots better in the offense. There are some simple things he seems to succeed at, but only uses them once every few games: shots coming off screens to flash to the FT line, pinch post fakes for elbow jumpers/attacking off the dribble, weakside curl cuts to take a post feed and attack. The fact that I've seen him have success on these when he tries them means he's picking things up...but the fact that you don't see it consistently means it seems like he's only getting into those positions randomly (without purpose or intent, which was LO's problem early last season).

Quote:

Kobe Counseling Smush: It is good that Smush has been taken under Kobe's wing - wouldn't it have been great if he had started earlier?!?!? What do you think it would take for him to provide consistent EFFORT that will include being aggressive and cutting through the paint (ala Kings game) - especially in his contract year?!?! Note: If in his "contract year," he is lackadaisel - how would he act if it wasn't his "contract year?"

Who knows? Seems like it could be a legit concern. If they are worried, they should only offer a short-term deal.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:

Like I said yesterday, I don't think Kwame's absence and the team's quick starts are a coincidence. Bynum's reliable presence on offense and paint presence on defense are really important at the start of games. And like I've been saying all season, the Lakers can't afford to waste entire first halves trying to get Kwame warmed up, settled down, and into the flow of the game. I sure hope Phil doesn't reflexively hand the job back to Kwame upon his return this time.

Well, there's also something else at play here, too. It's the development of an elite bigman. I don't think it's a coincidence that Bynum has produced some better shot blocking and a great performance on the second night of a back to back...areas they wanted him to compete better on his first go around. The starter's job is the carrot that Phil is using to elevate Bynum's game. It would not surprise me if he worked Kwame back into the starting job once more and got Bynum to elevate his game once more in order to get it back. I mean they put him on the bench with the excuse that he didn't come early to practice when Kareem was gone for a day. They're tweaking him, molding him.

Long term, it would probably be better if Bynum finished the season on the bench. Then, he works like a mad man in the offseason because he wants to start.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject:

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Lakers and their beautiful passing last night. That being said, the NuggErs, except Boykins, couldn't buy a shot.

What made Bynum so effective here and so ineffective against the Heat? Shaq might be back for the game on January 15 but I expect Drew to have to play against Haslem and Zo for much of the game and then we will see if he is strong enough to battle against the big boys this time.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
RYZ wrote:

Well, there's also something else at play here, too. It's the development of an elite bigman. I don't think it's a coincidence that Bynum has produced some better shot blocking and a great performance on the second night of a back to back...areas they wanted him to compete better on his first go around. The starter's job is the carrot that Phil is using to elevate Bynum's game. It would not surprise me if he worked Kwame back into the starting job once more and got Bynum to elevate his game once more in order to get it back. I mean they put him on the bench with the excuse that he didn't come early to practice when Kareem was gone for a day. They're tweaking him, molding him.

Long term, it would probably be better if Bynum finished the season on the bench. Then, he works like a mad man in the offseason because he wants to start.

Very good point, DB
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Questions
P&R Defense: The Lakers still have some problems, despite the Nuggets obvious problems. How do you think that the Lakers can remedy the problem? On Mychal Thompson's interview with Kareem, he stated that when he was playing - he switched on P&R, but dived back to cover his own man. Another option stated (not Kareem) that somebody should rotate over to cover the player diving toward the paint while Bynum would rotate to the "cover man's" player. What is Phil's trying to do to defend against P&R when Bynum is in the game?
Your strategy should vary from game to game depending on opponent if you have players that can be flexible in that regard. I imagine, though, that Phil probably will try to utilize Bynum like Shaq for the time being...or try to rotate a third player and Bynum recovers on someone else. Hard to say. Fouls are an issue with our current injury situation, so you want to have Bynum do something he's not ready to do yet.
Quote:
Zone Defense: Having watched the Nuggets and Suns/Heat game, is there a reason why the Lakers don't have people cutting through the paint forcing the defensive team to move and adjust? Even during the Nuggets game, the Lakers were mainly on the perimeter and were saved by making 3s.
I would at the very least like to see them run the Triangle when a team zones us up. It's like guys stop moving, stop setting it up and running their cuts. They get psyched out. Then, of course, there are a host of things they aren't doing (back screens, ball fakes, etc. just basics they can then use to get penetration).
Quote:
Vlad: What is the latest status on his hand injury and how it is still affecting his shot? He must be frustrated on not being able to do what he does best?!?!?
Don't know on the injury. I do know he needs to pick his spots better in the offense. There are some simple things he seems to succeed at, but only uses them once every few games: shots coming off screens to flash to the FT line, pinch post fakes for elbow jumpers/attacking off the dribble, weakside curl cuts to take a post feed and attack. The fact that I've seen him have success on these when he tries them means he's picking things up...but the fact that you don't see it consistently means it seems like he's only getting into those positions randomly (without purpose or intent, which was LO's problem early last season).
Quote:
Kobe Counseling Smush: It is good that Smush has been taken under Kobe's wing - wouldn't it have been great if he had started earlier?!?!? What do you think it would take for him to provide consistent EFFORT that will include being aggressive and cutting through the paint (ala Kings game) - especially in his contract year?!?! Note: If in his "contract year," he is lackadaisel - how would he act if it wasn't his "contract year?"

Who knows? Seems like it could be a legit concern. If they are worried, they should only offer a short-term deal.
DB - I hope that Bynum would be treated different than Shaq cuz Drew is quicker and mobile while being taught by Kareem - a player that Bynum appears to emulate (especially with The Cap being the mentor. Since the 3rd guy is not rotating over, it gives the appearance that this is not Phil's plan - hence the confusion on what is the defensive coverage (add to that Bynum's inexperience)

Zone Defense - it would seem that the rest of the Lakers would realize that they should ALWAYS be moving - or at least better recognize what they need to do with games like the Nuggets in their memory banks. How can they (or what is Phil/coaches) do to help them either; 1) have the bigs (Bynum/Turiaff/Cookie) ready and/or demand the ball in the middle of the zone; 2) locate better passing angles to pass to the bigs; 3) know what cuts are available in different type of zone defenses and: 4) how to drive through the seams?

Smush - What signs would you look for in deciding if he has the mental discipline and/or toughness to be an important part of the Lakers' future?

It has been previously posted that another "lockdown d" type of person is needed for the Lakers to be an elite team. IMO - it takes an Artest-type (w/o the head madness) player to do this and there are not many out there. Even Bruce Bowen was scored upon (with a clean shot) by LeBron during crunch time. I think that Evans/Sasha can eventually develop into this type of player and with LO/Bynum/Kobe part of the scheme - the Lakers' defense will definitely much better that will definitely make them serious challengers to teams such as the Mavs, Spurs, Suns and Pistons
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again, DB. Our offensive execution was nice to watch. It was nice to see that our starters could get some rest in this game, especially since we had an OT game the night before in Sacramento and with Dallas coming to town. It's going to be a difficult test tomorrow night. Dallas has really played well defensively and I'm wondering who will guard Dirk.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Shammond + McKie = key to victory. What's our record when either of them play? When both of them play?
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
RYZ wrote:

No doubt, Phil the chess player is always thinking a couple moves ahead, and his prodding of Bynum likely was at least in part responsible for Andrew's impressive back-to-back performances.

The question is, how many roads must Bynum walk down before he's considered a man? Ya know, how many cycles through the ringer is he going to put Andrew through before Phil's convinced of his worthiness.

Obviously, Phil is in a much better position to make this call than I am, but after watching his treatment of Kobe for the first 5 years, I'm not willing to sit back unquestioningly and stare at his psychological approaches to his players. Bynum may be the type who responds to benchings, or he might be the type whose confidence is hurt by it. Judging by his first demotion this year, his belief in himself seemed to sag measurably afterwards.

Now, one could argue that his time on the pine was the cause of his current output, that when he got the chance to play again he knew he couldn't take anything for granted. Fine, but is another step backward going to inspire him more, or will it make him think, "There's nothing I can do to please this guy."

I know the feeling. When coaches ask a player to do something, and you feel like you're responding in kind, only to be told you're still not doing enough, it can be deflating. It's one thing when your competition (Kwame, in this case) is clearly outplaying you, but I don't think anyone can honestly say such has been the case this year, save for a couple games. When I hear remarks about them (the staff) needing more consistency out of Bynum, it borders on comedy. I actually heard Hamblen said that on the radio pregame on Friday, as if they've ever dredged a shred of consistency out of Kwame. Watching coaches up close who never learned to distinguish between players who needed pats on the back from those who needed kicks in the ass, I'm skeptical.

I also think he's doing something similar with Turiaf, thus my remark about his hips. Everyone has to pay dues, but not at the expense of the team.

We'll see, but I hope Phil knows what he's doing with this one.
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject:

Bynum is doing fine. My only concern is whether he'll grow that extra inch that'll make him even better than he is now, and right now, he's already on pace to be great.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: