Alexis Ajinca

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mttbk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Alexis Ajinca

This guy sounds like he would be good in the Tri. Does anybody have info on him?
Arnie
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Well from NBADraft.net:
Quote:
Strengths: Extraordinarily long and athletic bigman... Incredible basketball body, the kid was born to play the game ... Has excellent hands catching the ball or grabbing rebounds ... Good fundamentals and understanding of the game ...

Has a 7-6 wingspan which makes him a very good shot blocker ... Great shooter, very adept shot and has range out to 3 point ... Knows when to shoot or pass and even displays a decent crossover ... Runs the floor very well ... Excellent body control going up for ally oops and going to the basket ... Has good strength and balance considering how skinny he is, especially his legs ... Good free throw shooter ...

Should be able to jump much higher when he puts on more body strength... Good basketball disposition, doesn't get out of control or frustrated easily, makes good decisions passing the ball and has good vision ... Has decent ball handling ability and even likes to take the ball coast to caost, but his future is as a post man ... A good kid with a great personality, very smart, but must continue to improve especially his body and stay hungry...

Weaknesses: Extremely skinny, must add around 30-40 pounds ... He is easily outmuscled by players with above average strength ... Could suffer the same fate as Jonathan Bender if he is not able to add weight and settles for playing outside too much, but he does show a willingness to mix it up inside, and his upper body shows signs that he can put on a good amount of weight ...

Still very young, must stay hungry and not buy into his own hype ... Must develop better post skills ... Back to the basket game must be developed ...

Notes: Pronounced: Al-ex-i A-Jin-Sa ... Plans on staying in Europe and turning pro before entering the NBA. His father was a wrestler from the French Islands, his mother is from France.

LINK

ESPN:

Quote:
Alexis Ajinca
Power Forward (Rank: #67) | 7-0, 205 | Age: 18
France ()
Hometown: Saint Étienne, France

Draft Projection: Second round to undrafted

Notes: Plays for Pau Orthez in France. Gets virtually no playing time in the Euroleague.

Positives: Super long, wiry forward with nuclear athleticism. Pretty skilled. Nice form on his jump shot. Good moves in the paint. Solid rebounder and shotblocker.

Negatives: Very weak for the position. Needs to add a lot of weight and muscle to that frame. Inexperienced. Hasn't seen much action at the highest level of plays in Europe. Scouts have had to settle for watching him in junior tournaments.

Summary: He's an intriguing prospect for down the road ... maybe 2 or 3 years down the road. Until he starts to fill out (a big if) and gets more playing time, there isn't much to draft him on except for raw, physical skills. Of course, NBA teams do that all the time, but hopefully, Ajinca and NBA scouts will be patient.

Well he can talk french with Ronny!

Last edited by Arnie on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject:

That is just too light unless he resembles any game similar to Kevin Durant.

But of course, if he does, he'd go lotto anyway.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
mttbk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Sound like his problems are very "fixable"... weight, experience. We have 2 second rounders. Mike do you think this would be a good pick to keep overseas and bring back in a couple years?
mttbk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the info.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject:

i like ajinca a lot, i think he'd be somewhat of a steal in the late 1st.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:

If he's available by the time we pick Id select him without even thinking.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Start to feel old when the draft prospects were born in '88.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject:

Based on the nbadraft.net review, he's destined to develop a cult following on LG.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject:

I really think the guy who runs nbadraft.net reads LG (not that there's anything wrong with that, this is a damn good site). I've noticed in past seasons that nbadraft.net seems to get influenced by LG fan commentary.

Well it looks like the mysterious Alexis Ajinca disappeared after that last post.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Just got done watching the Hoops Summitt game and admittedly didn't focus much on Ajinca since Nicolas Batum stole the show.

Ajinca looks very similar to Brandan Wright in body type and demeanor, except Ajinca is 7'1" and according to the broadcasters has a 7'8" wingspan. He may even be skinnier than Wright is.

But that's about where the comparisons end. He had a lot of trouble establishing position against the stronger US bigs despite a significant advantage in length. His hands were subpar, and he didn't finish with much authority around the hoop.

He did display nice shooting mechanics from the perimeter, but IIRC he missed both 3 point attempts. I'm not sure if behind the arc is the best place for a 7 footer to be looking for offense anyways.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject:

I wish I had paid more attention to that hoops summit but I ended up watching the Angels game instead. If that body weight is accurate, though, the guy will need at least two years before he even has the body to be able to play five minutes in the NBA, let alone 25. I'm 6'3" and I weight as much as he does, and I'm not even very big. Frankly, I wish I had seen him, because with that kind of weight, I'd be concerned that he isn't just skinny, but has a very narrow frame that will never be able to develop into a true NBA body. Some guys with exceptional length, quickness, and strength:weight ratios, a la Kevin Garnett, can overcome that, but most end up like Jonathan Bender: chronically injured bench players.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject:

i don't think the guy is 1st rd material at this point for our type of situation.

suns and sixers - with 3 1st rd picks ? possibly.

i don't see us drafting anyone like that in the 1st round.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:

mttbk wrote:
Sound like his problems are very "fixable"... weight, experience. We have 2 second rounders. Mike do you think this would be a good pick to keep overseas and bring back in a couple years?

As far as overseas, I'd send him to Japan and have him eat with the sumos.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I really think the guy who runs nbadraft.net reads LG (not that there's anything wrong with that, this is a damn good site). I've noticed in past seasons that nbadraft.net seems to get influenced by LG fan commentary.

Well it looks like the mysterious Alexis Ajinca disappeared after that last post.

Now you've got me curiosity going.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Just got done watching the Hoops Summitt game and admittedly didn't focus much on Ajinca since Nicolas Batum stole the show.

Ajinca looks very similar to Brandan Wright in body type and demeanor, except Ajinca is 7'1" and according to the broadcasters has a 7'8" wingspan. He may even be skinnier than Wright is.

But that's about where the comparisons end. He had a lot of trouble establishing position against the stronger US bigs despite a significant advantage in length. His hands were subpar, and he didn't finish with much authority around the hoop.

He did display nice shooting mechanics from the perimeter, but IIRC he missed both 3 point attempts. I'm not sure if behind the arc is the best place for a 7 footer to be looking for offense anyways.

Agreed.

And yes, he was far skinnier than even Brandan Wright. All the size, but I didn't see the skills he was proclaimed to have.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: