The OFFICIAL Chris Webber Thread (Webber to Detroit)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
davidse wrote:
there is still hope though - if he really really sucks with detroit, you know he's our next mle target next summer...

If he really sucks with Detroit, will we want him? If he really sucks with Detroit, will we even offer the MLE?

I'd rather save that money for someone else. Who else will be a free agent? I know it is probably impossible to do so, but perhaps Billups?

Billups, Gerald Wallace, VC, Minnie Me, Lewis, Jamison, also Wilcox and Gooden if they extend for just one-year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2654216

"If you are a LAKER FAN, you are LAKERS FOR LIFE" - Doc Buss

- NBA BIAS
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject:

lakers1969 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
davidse wrote:
there is still hope though - if he really really sucks with detroit, you know he's our next mle target next summer...

If he really sucks with Detroit, will we want him? If he really sucks with Detroit, will we even offer the MLE?

I'd rather save that money for someone else. Who else will be a free agent? I know it is probably impossible to do so, but perhaps Billups?

Billups, Gerald Green , VC, Minnie Me, Lewis, Jamison, also Wilcox and Gooden if they extend for just one-year.

Do you think we'll sign Smush and Luke, or will they sign here?
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject:

lakers2626 wrote:
lakers1969 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
davidse wrote:

Billups, Gerald Green , VC, Minnie Me, Lewis, Jamison, also Wilcox and Gooden if they extend for just one-year.

They will probably use the Bird rights on Luke plus he is a Cali guy as for Smush if other teams offered him more money or Billups comes in he will be gone next year unless Lakers management can offer him more money.

"If you are a LAKER FAN, you are LAKERS FOR LIFE" - Doc Buss

- NBA BIAS

Last edited by lakers1969 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject:

Wilcox and Gooden extended for 3 years.

Billups will get way more than the MLE. Same with Carter, Shard, Jamison, Bibby.

Wallace because of injuries is the only possible MLE player out of that list and I'd pick him up. Versatile defender, can play the 3/4 .. interchangable with LO defensively.

My experience on the Lakers tells me that Webber killed any chance he had with the Lakers. From what I've seen, once you pass on the Lakers this way .. they have zero interest in you later on.

Just look at guys like Oakley, Gill, Anderson etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject:

lakers1969 wrote:
lakers2626 wrote:
lakers1969 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
davidse wrote:

They will probably use the Bird rights on Luke plus he is a Cali guy.

So we are going after a point guard then. Since I'm sure Smush is out of favor with the Lakers (I saw the Smush thread) Who can we realistically get next year?
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Wilcox and Gooden extended for 3 years.

Billups will get way more than the MLE. Same with Carter, Shard, Jamison, Bibby.

Wallace because of injuries is the only possible MLE player out of that list and I'd pick him up. Versatile defender, can play the 3/4 .. interchangable with LO defensively.

My experience on the Lakers tells me that Webber killed any chance he had with the Lakers. From what I've seen, once you pass on the Lakers this way .. they have zero interest in you later on.
Just look at guys like Oakley, Gill, Anderson etc.

That's what great franchises do, Wolf. And fairly so. Even if you, as a player, have had your doubts and did not play one club against the other. Even if you have been sencere all along. Does not matter. And fairly so...
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject:

OK here goes. Webber not coming to LA tells me a few things:

1. LO is getting close to returning and is a more viable option at PF than Webber at this point in Webber's career

2. LA didn't want to alienate their current players by bringing in a "big name" player

3. PJ's comments that the Bynum/Kwame C/PF tandem being "inevitable" actually had legs and not just him being the Zen Master

4. LA trusts that we would go just as far with this team than if we added Webber
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject:

^
Texas Pete, I think Phil truly wanted Webber. However it came down to this. Webber wanted a starting spot and 30 minutes guaranteed. Phil felt that if he were that good then he would come here and prove it. I mean his competition would be Walton and Radmanovic. Not exactly all-stars. If Webber was still the player he says he is, then he would easily beat out those two for PT.

Chris obviously felt that the competition is not something he wanted right now and the Pistons who were giving in to all his demands were the easy fit. We'll see if he ever wins a championship with Flip. Flip IMO is alot closer Adelman - good regular season coach, average playoff coach.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:

Sad part about it is Webber would have been hungry enough to WANT to be the #2 option...he has the experience and desire to try to anchor an offense...

Could have used that...especially how Kobe was the only person who showed up for the game 7 last year...
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:

lakers1969 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
davidse wrote:

Billups, Gerald Wallace, VC, Minnie Me, Lewis, Jamison, also Wilcox and Gooden if they extend for just one-year.

Mo Williams, Gerald Wallace or Grant Hill, in that order, should be our priority.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject:

Laker fans are so tunnel visioned. They think that EVERY NBA player is just dieing to become a Laker, sorry, that's just not the case. Webber chose Detroit because...

A)He's a Detroit native, proving that you CAN go home again.
B)His musical aspirations are equally accomedated in Detroit "Rock City"
C)The Pistons have been more than willing to make room for him.
D)He sees himself fitting better with DET's personnel.
E)Too much drama in LA, too many young prospects.

It's nothing personal, he's doing what he percieves as what's in his best interest. PERIOD. Not a diss towards LA, he IS a better fit with the Pistons.
Lamar2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject:

Honestly Webber would not have gotten that much playing time anyway. Just like Jim Jackson and Mckie. We really do not need him to be honest. Lamar is going to be playing 35 to 40 minutes a game at the Power forward position , you can't move him ahead of Bynum or Kwame at center so that leaves like 10 to 15 minutes for Webber backing up Lamar which he would not like. We would have Webber complaining about lack of playing time .
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
lakers1969 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
davidse wrote:

Mo Williams, Gerald Wallace or Grant Hill, in that order, should be our priority.
]
and maybe T.Outlaw
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
and maybe T.Outlaw

Probably could be had for less than MLE?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject:

Isn't Outlaw a RFA? Even with the depth Portland has, I think he'd have to come through trade.

Not that I would be against it. We are in DESPERATE need of some athleticism at the SF/PF spot to pair with Lamar when we face teams that have excellent athleticism at both Forward spots.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Isn't Outlaw a RFA? Even with the depth Portland has, I think he'd have to come through trade.

Not that I would be against it. We are in DESPERATE need of some athleticism at the SF/PF spot to pair with Lamar when we face teams that have excellent athleticism at both Forward spots.

Agreed. More importantly I think we need tough perimeter defense. Not just man defense, but much needed boxing out and rebounding from our SF's and Guards. Both Gerald Wallace and Mo Williams would offer this, as well as production on offense.

But lets enjoy this season first.
Z
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject:

If webber did come here, and did not get the playing time he expected, he would have caused unnecesarry drama that would affect the team big time.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

yeah but i was thinking he might not never get the pt that he should
LA,Prz
Zach,PRz
Webster,Udoka
Roy,Dixson
Jack,Rodriguez

I think he would start for us, but yeah if we do offer the MLE they would just match would have to be a trade....something like Kwame and 2nd for Outlaw and PRZ
Nixon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject:

I never could see what the big deal about getting webber was anyway. :roll:
We've got what we need to make it to the promise land.
Strokke
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
Laker fans are so tunnel visioned. They think that EVERY NBA player is just dieing to become a Laker, sorry, that's just not the case. Webber chose Detroit because...

It's nothing personal, he's doing what he percieves as what's in his best interest. PERIOD. Not a diss towards LA, he IS a better fit with the Pistons.

Get rich and then live in detroit/LA and see which one you like better. For a young rich athlete, it doesn't get much better than LA (maybe mia hehe)
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:

1. LO is getting close to returning and is a more viable option at PF than Webber at this point in Webber's career

2. LA didn't want to alienate their current players by bringing in a "big name" player

3. PJ's comments that the Bynum/Kwame C/PF tandem being "inevitable" actually had legs and not just him being the Zen Master

4. LA trusts that we would go just as far with this team than if we added Webber

5. Webber is a big PUSS

6. Webber is a LOSER

7. Webber has never won ANYTHING in his life

8. Webber doesn't want to WORK for his spot

9. Webber is a CHOKER

10. Webber is NOT Laker material
The_Fiend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

5. Webber is a big PUSS

6. Webber is a LOSER

9. Webber is a CHOKER

calm down... you would've been ecstatic had he chosen to sign with the lakers.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

5. Webber is a big PUSS

6. Webber is a LOSER

9. Webber is a CHOKER

you wouldn't be saying that stuff if he was coming here.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:

Yea that is why he was begging to join the Lakers IF Phil would guarantee him playing time--or he was flat out lying about wanting to play with the Lakers. I bet if Phil would have guaranteed him a starting spot--he would be in a Laker uniform in a heartbeat. If he is that good I don't think that should even be an issue but perhaps he is not 100% healthy? I like Webber and his game BUT he is, was and always be a SOFT player in my book. Would he have helped--sure but at what cost? Team chemistry? Changing lineups midstream? Alienating Luke? Putting Odom back at SF?

Webber wanted things under his own terms and Phil wanted things that would best fit the Lakers overall goals (winning rings). Webber like soo many other people begging to play for the Lakers was not really serious because IF he was--he would have choose the Lakers. Simple really. His reasons for playing for the Pistons are very valid. Perhaps he should have not even entertained other teams at all?
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject:

The_Fiend wrote:
RhodyRay wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

5. Webber is a big PUSS

6. Webber is a LOSER

9. Webber is a CHOKER

calm down... you would've been ecstatic had he chosen to sign with the lakers.

Calm down?? My blood pressure has not moved a tick since Webber "claimed" interest in coming to the Lakers. Been there..done that before.

Would I be happy if Webber came here--no doubt. IF Webber came here he would be coming under Phil's terms--no guaranteed playing time (meaning he would actually EARN it it) and he would STILL be coming here having NEVER won anything before, still as a CHOKER, WUSS and LOSER. That could have all changed if he would have teamed up with LO, Kobe, and Phil. BUT we will never know. I suspect he ends his career with the same labels in place. He can always prove me wrong. I will be waiting patiently.................
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 58 of 59
Jump to: