LAKERS NEED A POINT GUARD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersboxershorts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: LAKERS NEED A POINT GUARD

Smush is our starting point guard, as exciting as he is, he's not much of a play maker or a passer. (let alone a lock down defender)

Smush makes a great spark off the bench, with his energy, and dunking ability. Agree?

However, after his performance in last year's playoffs, or should i say LACK of performance, I am skeptical about his ability to play at a high level.

Smush is a starting point guard who has Kobe on his team but can't get more than 1 or 2 assists a game. That's bad.

I look at the box score after the game some nights, Smush has zero assists.

The fact of the matter is, we need a Ron Harper, big guard, 6'6, ala Brian Shaw... to be a point guard for this team. Smush is not cutting it IMO.

Farmer, while more of a traditional PG, had stretches of brilliance, but is still 2-3 years away from being starting material.

It's hard for me to believe Smush would be starting material on any other NBA team.

Discuss.
SteveMachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject:

Charlie Bell or Earl Watson
Deucetre33
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject:

there is talk of jalen rose being released from the phoenix suns.. if that is true we should consider making a strong run for him as well.. dude would serve as a good point in the triangle offense
SteveMachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject:

Deucetre33 wrote:
there is talk of jalen rose being released from the phoenix suns.. if that is true we should consider making a strong run for him as well.. dude would serve as a good point in the triangle offense

No thanks.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject:

I know he's older and not known as a lockdown defender, but I've always liked the toughness and poise of Anthony Johnson.

And I hear the Mavs are looking to move him.

AJ is a smart, strong and tough-minded veteran who always steps his game up in the playoffs. Just ask Jason Kidd how he played against him in last years playoffs. He's not exactly Steve Nash, but he's not going to collapse under the pressure of the post-season either.

He's not a "pure" PG or a 2-guard - he's just a "guard." He has a big, strong body, he can shoot, pass, defend and he knows the game.

But I don't want to trade anyone to the Mavs.

I also like Earl Watson.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject:

Don't you read the boards? Smush Parker is the answer to all of the Laker problems. He is the best player on the planet; he made Naismith's top starting five players of all time list. Which is pretty ahrd to do, figuring that Mr. Naismith is already dead.
lakersboxershorts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
Don't you read the boards? Smush Parker is the answer to all of the Laker problems. He is the best player on the planet; he made Naismith's top starting five players of all time list. Which is pretty ahrd to do, figuring that Mr. Naismith is already dead.

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Smush is our starting point guard, as exciting as he is, he's not much of a play maker or a passer. (let alone a lock down defender)

It's funny when people come on here and post but have no idea what type of offense the Lakers run.

It's also funny to hear people talk about "Lockdown PGs"...as if they exist. Name a lockdown PG. Just one.

Some of you guys really need to read up on the triangle offense and the function of the triangle PG.
versatile7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject:

We should've picked Banks instead of Vlad
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject:

Lakers should trade Radmanovic to Minisota for Mike James.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:

And what issue(s) would that solve?
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject:

Steve Francis :roll:
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:

Just wait next year for Billups.

"If you are a LAKER FAN, you are LAKERS FOR LIFE" - Doc Buss

- NBA BIAS
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:

Isn't that why we bring in Farmar off the bench, for defensive purposes? Smush has his ups and downs, like all average NBA players, but he's not exactly terrible and he show flashes of brilliance and athleticism that usually only Kobe or Mo Evans can do.

If the Lakers need support in any category it is the front court. Teams don't win or lose championships because of their PG's, but the play of their big men. If we can get a deeper, more reliable rotation of front court players, grabbing rebounds and not allowing easy buckets, we will be fine.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If the Lakers need support in any category it is the front court. Teams don't win or lose championships because of their PG's, but the play of their big men.

scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
scoobs wrote:

And what issue(s) would that solve?

Current Depth Chart:

Power Forward:
1. Odom
2. Cook
3. Turiaf

Small Forward:
1. Walton
2. Evans
3. Radmanovic

Center:
1 .Brown
2. Bynum

Point Guard:
1. Parker
2. Farmar
3. Vujacic
4. Williams

Shooting Guard:
1. Bryant
2. Evans
3. McKie

And, this is not even mentioning the possible signing of Webber, or a trade for Ely. Radmanovic would be burried even more on the depth chart, because sometimes he picks up minutes at power forward as well, and Odom could take some more small forward minutes with Webber sliding over to the four.

Basically, this trade saves us from paying a guy 5.4 million to sit on the bench. Mike James could step in as a starter, and actually contribute. Right away, he is a defensive up-grade over Smush, and a shooting up-grade over Farmar. He is also, a veteren type player that Phil Jackson loves. The only problem I see with this trade, is McHale's hesitation to trade with the Lakers.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Basically, this trade saves us from paying a guy 5.4 million to sit on the bench. Mike James could step in as a starter, and actually contribute. Right away, he is a defensive up-grade over Smush, and a shooting up-grade over Farmar. He is also, a veteren type player that Phil Jackson loves. The only problem I see with this trade, is McHale's hesitation to trade with the Lakers.

Mike James is averaging 11 a game in a non-triangle system while Smush is averaging 11 in the triangle, so I don't see that as an upgrade there. And what exactly defensively do you see in Mike James? What has he done defensively that makes him an upgrade over Smush or even Farmar? At best, that trade would be a lateral move and wouldn't help the Lakers out in any way whatsoever.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:

lakersboxershorts wrote:
h2omike wrote:

maybe he heard the rockets broadcast the other night. the rockets commentators were talking up smush like he was the next GP.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:

How many points do you think Smush would average in a non-triangle system? I would guess around 6, with little playing time. The triangle is actually a plus, when you are a jump shooting point guard. See: Fisher, Hunter, Kerr, Armstrong, Smush!
lakersboxershorts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

It's funny when people come on here and post but have no idea what type of offense the Lakers run.

It's also funny to hear people talk about "Lockdown PGs"...as if they exist. Name a lockdown PG. Just one.

Some of you guys really need to read up on the triangle offense and the function of the triangle PG.

Wow.. I think you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. SMUSH LOVER.

First of all I DO KNOW what offense the lakers run... Its called the TRIANGLE OFFENSE. Guards should be 6'6 smush is 6'2.

Second of all, Smush is not starting material. He's cool. He's got skills but hes not starting material.

Third, and last, I said "lock defender" not lockdown PG.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject:

Or...

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Vladimir Radmanovic
Aaron McKie

Incoming

Marko Jaric
Eddie Griffin
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
The triangle is actually a plus, when you are a jump shooting point guard.

To his credit, Smush has never been known as a jump shooting point guard. In fact, that was the knock on him when LA picked him up--whether or not he could down open looks from the perimeter with his feet set. He's more of a slashing player that has adapted his game to the tri. IMO, he could easily put up 18+ a night if he was playing starter minutes on a lesser, wide-open team like Seattle or Memphis.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
How many points do you think Smush would average in a non-triangle system? I would guess around 6, with little playing time. The triangle is actually a plus, when you are a jump shooting point guard. See: Fisher, Hunter, Kerr, Armstrong, Smush!

What does that have to do with anything? Seriosuly. What sense does that make since he IS playing in the triangle? This isn't about "How many points would Smush average in another system", this is about "Smush averages 11 in the tiangle"...the only system the Lakers are running. When they change systems, THEN that can be addressed but until then, it serves no purpose to even address it.

Mike James' role would change because of the triangle, not the other way around. Players adjust to Phil...not the opposite. James' average wouldn't jump by 5 points just because he plays in the tri.

Also, you never answered what defensive abilities he brings?
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject:

All I want in a PG is someone who is 6'4" plus, can defend the P&R, can stay in front of their man, and shoot the 3.
And then have avg PG skills at everything else.

---George Carlin
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject:

lakersboxershorts wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

Wow.. I think you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. SMUSH LOVER.

First of all I DO KNOW what offense the lakers run... Its called the TRIANGLE OFFENSE. Guards should be 6'6 smush is 6'2.

Second of all, Smush is not starting material. He's cool. He's got skills but hes not starting material.

Third, and last, I said "lock defender" not lockdown PG.

Your very first sentence speaks volumes about you...you're a typical Smush Hater that just wants to hate the dude for no apparent reason but the fact that it's the "in" thing to do here.

Now, you also don't seem to know the heights of our players. Smush is 6'4. You should REALLY read up on the Lakers before posting. Seriously. And where is it written in the Triangle Handbook that guards SHOULD be 6'6? Where are you getting this from?

Ok, so if you didn't mean we need a lockdown PG, then why are you even mentioning needing a "lockdown defender" when you're discussing Smush - OUR PG. ?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: