serious odom trade discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject:

The main thing you need if you trade Odom is to replace his rebounding. A big who can board and play defense would do the trick. Someone like KG. Not AK.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Davidse, I have a bit of a bone to pick with you, more than one in fact:

First, if you know that you are posting something that you have only mild belief in, and you admit that you know this will cause a negative response, and you revel in that response from a self-imposed arrogant perch, aren't you in fact trolling? I'm not calling you a troll, because IMO you contribute a lot of well intentioned posts, but throwing something out there that you know will bring negative attacks, and doing so in a way that seems at least partially motivated by a desire to stir people up is definitely trolling (by accepted definition, not my opinion).

Second, how is it that you are the arbiter of how old, relevant, or respectable other posters are? Smarmy, condescending name-calling, and self-important measuring of others doesn't get you my respect.

I respect your opinions, I welcome your musings, I just wish you didn't have to set the ball up on a tee and then call foul when others swing at it.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The main thing you need if you trade Odom is to replace his rebounding. A big who can board and play defense would do the trick. Someone like KG. Not AK.

I'd also have to throw in Gasol.

Better defender, same rebounder, better scorer (particularly around the paint). Good contract for the production and he appears to have recovered well from his injury.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject:

KG, Gasol, JO, EB ... all types of players who I'd be cool with.

But the bottom line is this thread's point is moot. There is just noway I see Phil Jackson trading Odom unless he got something unbelievable in return. AK is a not that type of player who would give us 2 superstars.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Better defender, same rebounder, better scorer (particularly around the paint). Good contract for the production and he appears to have recovered well from his injury.

I only quibble that Gasol is not a better defender than LO. He is a better shotblocker, but both in the post and especially switching on smaller players, LO is superior.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Dude wrote:
The only thing AK can do better than Odom is defend from the weakside. I'd say their man to man defense is comparable, with the edge to AK because of his rep with the refs. To illustrate this point I'd like to examine his efforts versus some of the more prolific scorers this year:

AK v Dirk 1/9 - Dirk goes 12-18 from the field and ended with 38 points
AK v Tmac 1/5 - Tracy goes 14-31 from the field and ended with 44 points.
AK v Kobe/Odom 12/30 - Kobe 19-26 FGs for 52 points/ Odom 5-9, 14points, 11rbs, 8 assits.

And these are just a few of the "match-ups" where I feel his hype is greater than his ability.

Odom is a better ball handler, play maker, shooter (in all aspects of shooting including free throws and long range), rebounder, and team leader. He also makes about 5 million less than AK.

Odom's impact on Laker defense has also been underestimated. Since he's been out we're giving up at least 5 more points / game easily.

I understand your point, but I would counter with:

1) Your analysis has AK guarding Elite SG/SF/PF/C - that, in and of itself, is telling because Odom can't do that.

2) The NBA's Coaches think that AK47 is 1st Team All-Defense. Odom has never received a vote.

3) AK plays with arguably the two WORST defenders in the league among starters at PF and C - he's had to be a one-man zone for the Jazz, guarding different guys at key spots and covering for the sieves that surround him.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: serious odom trade discussion

davidse wrote:
first of all - make no mistake about it - odom has been huge for us, has played very well, and is a very valuable member of this team.

so why bring this up ?

two things have me intrigued -

1. we seem to be doing pretty well offensively without odom

2. ak47 is having a bad year and has his issues fitting in offensively with the jazz.

i think that right now odom's value even eclipses kirilenko's.

but thing is, if we're doing so well offensively, how would we do if we traded odom for kirilenko and a 1st rd pick (i think we should be compensated in such a swap).

the offense shouldn't be worse than it is right now - already running without lamar, the defense - our weak link, would be vastly improved, and we'll get another pick in a very strong draft.

kirilenko has already shown he can play very well - defend and rebound as a pf - actually made the all star team as a pf.

taking nothing away from what odom means to this team, isn't it a thought that's worth entertaining ?

jazz would be all over it i'm sure.

Why don't we have a contest to see who can name more than 3 players in the NBA that HAVEN'T been mentioned as possible trades for Odom?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: serious odom trade discussion

TLT wrote:
davidse wrote:
first of all - make no mistake about it - odom has been huge for us, has played very well, and is a very valuable member of this team.

so why bring this up ?

2. ak47 is having a bad year and has his issues fitting in offensively with the jazz.

but thing is, if we're doing so well offensively, how would we do if we traded odom for kirilenko and a 1st rd pick (i think we should be compensated in such a swap).

the offense shouldn't be worse than it is right now - already running without lamar, the defense - our weak link, would be vastly improved, and we'll get another pick in a very strong draft.

kirilenko has already shown he can play very well - defend and rebound as a pf - actually made the all star team as a pf.

taking nothing away from what odom means to this team, isn't it a thought that's worth entertaining ?

Why don't we have a contest to see who can name more than 3 players in the NBA that HAVEN'T been mentioned as possible trades for Odom?

I assume we can't cheat by naming three Lakers?
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
And 1 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I only quibble that Gasol is not a better defender than LO. He is a better shotblocker, but both in the post and especially switching on smaller players, LO is superior.

Let us also add that there's no comparison in terms of Odom's ability to handle the ball, whereby he literally causes havoc as other teams try to figure out how to match up with him. Indeed, in the last game against the Spurs where Odom played, the Spurs inability to match up with him caused them to move their line-up around to try to find answers. It didn't work and they're not the only team that struggles with that when they face us. Gasol doesn't create those types of problem because he's a straight 4/5, whereas you can put Lamar literally at any position. You then add that none of those guys mentioned has the passing abilities of Lamar Odom, and I just can't believe some here can't recognize that there are so many intangibles Lamar brings to this team. Intangibles that make us a very, very, very difficult team to deal with - intangibles that most other players don't have.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: serious odom trade discussion

24 wrote:
TLT wrote:
davidse wrote:

so why bring this up ?

No cheating, but even then you would have to omit Evans and Vald and McKie. And maybe Smush?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: serious odom trade discussion

TLT wrote:
24 wrote:
TLT wrote:
davidse wrote:

so why bring this up ?

No cheating, but even then you would have to omit Evans and Vald and McKie. And maybe Smush?

OK then, hmmmmm...

Shaquille O'Neal
Brian Grant
Caron Butler
Chucky Atkins
Spanky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I would do this trade in a heart beat

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown

Lamar Odom
17.5 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.9 apg in 37.9 minutes

Vladimir Radmanovic
6.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.0 apg in 17.0 minutes

Chris Mihm
No games yet played in 2006/07

Aaron McKie
0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 5.0 minutes

Shammond Williams
0.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 0.8 apg in 6.0 minutes

Incoming
Jermaine O'Neal
19.2 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 2.9 apg in 35.7 minutes

Mike Dunleavy
11.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.0 apg in 27.0 minutes
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
24 wrote:
And 1 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Let us also add that there's no comparison in terms of Odom's ability to handle the ball, whereby he literally causes havoc as other teams try to figure out how to match up with him.

But we have other players who can handle the ball. In that way, Odom wouldn't be missed as much.

And Wolf, I wouldn't trade Odom for JO, based on what I perceive as JO's attitude.
EHL_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject:

We don't need Odom to beat the Spurs. We already match up well with them. Defensively a guy like AK, that would add a minimum of 2.5 bpg while playing stellar rotation defense all over the floor is absolutely vital. AK has averaged 8+ rpg at SF twice before in his career so we're not going to be losing much rebounding at all (Odom's averaging 8.7 this season, entirely at PF too). The only problem we'd really face with AK on the team is his learning curve. If he already had 1.5-2 years of triangle experience and was clearly comfortable in the offense, I think there's no question Phil would consider it. His passing, especially, is severely underrated around the league, he does very well even in Sloan's Flex O.

Overall, people using words like "clueless" in this thread shouldn't participate in it. It's low class and unnecessary.
EHL_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject:

^ Also, Gasol is at least as good a passer as Odom in the half court, if not better. Odom adds a fast breaking component to the 4, nothing more than that. Gasol's arguably the best passing big man in the NBA really, that's by far one of his strengths. See his 4.6 apg last year. And AK's 4.3 apg average last year as well.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject:

EHL_2 wrote:
^ Also, Gasol is at least as good a passer as Odom in the half court, if not better. Odom adds a fast breaking component to the 4, nothing more than that. Gasol's arguably the best passing big man in the NBA really, that's by far one of his strengths. See his 4.6 apg last year. And AK's 4.3 apg average last year as well.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject:

AK47 is a good passer, but I have questions as to whether he could adopt to the tri. He had a hard time learning his role on the various pick and roll plays that Sloan would run, which limited his effectiveness in his early years. Damn good player, but he might make Radman look like a tri Summa (bleep) Laude.
EHL_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
EHL_2 wrote:

I agree, it's laughable how obvious it is.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Gasol is a very good passer in the highpost or low post. .

However that is the halfcourt slowed down game. Odom's passing is of a different kind - something we lack because we don't have a true PG. You see Odom can create shots for teammates through pushing the break and penetration. This is something only Kobe can do on a consistent basis. In a few years - Jordan Farmar probably too. At that point, you can say Odom's playmaking ability isn't that valuable to the team. As great as the offense is running right now, remember no team is scouting us and preparing for us like it were a playoff series. Once teams do that, they'll take away many passing options in the Triangle. This is when you'll need someone other than Kobe to create. It is at that point that the Lakers will truly benefit from that 2nd guard like player.

At this point in time there is no player out there who would give you everything Odom does BUT that doesn't mean you shouldn't ever trade him. I would trade him for a certain list of impact players, but AK is not one of them.

I also don't think Phil would trade him right now for anything short of a KG, Howard impact player etc. Not even Gasol/JO/EB because they would need alot of time to get re-incoperated and the Lakers are not very talented PG wise. If someone offered something really great, they'd do it. So that's why at this point in the season the only guy I could see the Lakers realistically move Odom for is KG.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dude
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Dude wrote:
The only thing AK can do better than Odom is defend from the weakside. I'd say their man to man defense is comparable, with the edge to AK because of his rep with the refs. To illustrate this point I'd like to examine his efforts versus some of the more prolific scorers this year:

AK v Dirk 1/9 - Dirk goes 12-18 from the field and ended with 38 points
AK v Tmac 1/5 - Tracy goes 14-31 from the field and ended with 44 points.
AK v Kobe/Odom 12/30 - Kobe 19-26 FGs for 52 points/ Odom 5-9, 14points, 11rbs, 8 assits.

And these are just a few of the "match-ups" where I feel his hype is greater than his ability.

Odom is a better ball handler, play maker, shooter (in all aspects of shooting including free throws and long range), rebounder, and team leader. He also makes about 5 million less than AK.

Odom's impact on Laker defense has also been underestimated. Since he's been out we're giving up at least 5 more points / game easily.

I understand your point, but I would counter with:

1) Your analysis has AK guarding Elite SG/SF/PF/C - that, in and of itself, is telling because Odom can't do that.

2) The NBA's Coaches think that AK47 is 1st Team All-Defense. Odom has never received a vote.

3) AK plays with arguably the two WORST defenders in the league among starters at PF and C - he's had to be a one-man zone for the Jazz, guarding different guys at key spots and covering for the sieves that surround him.

Yeah, I get it, AK is a good defender. For $17 million a year, I need more than a few blocks a game and a "one-man zone defense." The bottom line is Lamar is a superior all around basketball player who is being paid significantly less. LO has a major defensive impact when he's in the lineup whether you choose to believe it or not. Just average out points allowed/fg% with and without him. In addition, his impact on our offense is priceless. If we're going to take on another max contract, it shouldn't be Andre's.

Another way to look at it is, given a choice of Andre at 17 million or Lamar at 12 million, how would the 30 GMs respond? Personally, I'd say 20-25 of them would take Lamar. And the rest of them would shrug and accept the fact that they can't afford either player.

Last edited by Dude on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject:

No one's even broached the chemistry question. Kobe and Lamar are very tight and I wouldn't mess with that chemistry for KG or AK or anyone at this point. Odom deserves the opportunity to ride this wave with this team. He's earned it.
Dude
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
No one's even broached the chemistry question. Kobe and Lamar are very tight and I wouldn't mess with that chemistry for KG or AK or anyone at this point. Odom deserves the opportunity to ride this wave with this team. He's earned it.

Absolutely.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

At this point in time there is no player out there who would give you everything Odom does BUT that doesn't mean you shouldn't ever trade him. I would trade him for a certain list of impact players, but AK is not one of them.

I also don't think Phil would trade him right now for anything short of a KG, Howard impact player etc. Not even Gasol/JO/EB because they would need alot of time to get re-incoperated and the Lakers are not very talented PG wise. If someone offered something really great, they'd do it. So that's why at this point in the season the only guy I could see the Lakers realistically move Odom for is KG.

Good post, Wolf. Very good

Question for all LGers.

Do you think that trade value of KG as of today is LO and filler contracts only (like Mihm, Shammu and McKie)?

Because I do...
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Dude wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

Absolutely.

Lamar did deserve it. Absolutely. But it's business, nothing personal... Lamar for KG should be a 'go'...
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
24 wrote:
And 1 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Let us also add that there's no comparison in terms of Odom's ability to handle the ball, whereby he literally causes havoc as other teams try to figure out how to match up with him. Indeed, in the last game against the Spurs where Odom played, the Spurs inability to match up with him caused them to move their line-up around to try to find answers. It didn't work and they're not the only team that struggles with that when they face us. Gasol doesn't create those types of problem because he's a straight 4/5, whereas you can put Lamar literally at any position. You then add that none of those guys mentioned has the passing abilities of Lamar Odom, and I just can't believe some here can't recognize that there are so many intangibles Lamar brings to this team. Intangibles that make us a very, very, very difficult team to deal with - intangibles that most other players don't have.

On its face, Lamar poses match-up problems.

But in reality, how many times does he actually exploit the opportunities? You mentioned the match-up issues with regard to Lamar and the Spurs. IIRC, the Spurs typically guard Lamar with either Finley or Ginobli. Is it because they have no one else to match-up with him? Or is it because they know that Lamar won't consistently pound them in the paint?

In the first meeting with the Spurs, Lamar played well and had a great stat line: 18/11/9. He shot 50% from the field going 6-12. But 4 of those shot attempts (and 3 of his conversions) came from 3-pt land where I would argue that mismatch "advantage" is negated.

True enough, I don't know where his other non-3-pt attempts came from. But I have to note that he only shot 3 FT attempts in the game which leads me to believe that there wasn't alot of contact going on in the paint between him and an overmatched Finley.

So, despite the fact that Odom had a very good game, are you prepared to say that he exploited his mismatch opportunities?

Also, look at the Lakers first match-up with the Trailblazers. Yes Lamar was getting torched by a hot Zach Randolph. But LO should have been taking him to the woodshed as well. And it wasn't as though he had a poor shooting night (or was in foul trouble). He simply didn't take advantage of the juicy opportunity that was there.

So, I don't think it's good enough to say that a player has an advantage. it's only relevent when the advantage is exercised, right?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: