serious odom trade discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
ocho wrote:
i don't think you get it.

I agree he just doesn't get it.

I'll third the notion. CLUELESS.
lakerslifer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: serious odom trade discussion

not worth discussing :roll:
The Angry Buddhist
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:

As the Lakers start there decent into the land of the elite we must all realize that we are family. Some of us just have a different way of going about appreciating our great franchise...

No offense of any kind for shoes of any kind, but what are you actually trying to say?

First of all I think you mean "rise" or "ascend" into the land of the elite.
Secondly the word "decent" means "okay" or "acceptable" or the opposite of indecent.
If you meant "descent" that means to go down and that''s the wrong word too.
You probably meant to say "their" instead of "there" as well, right?

It's hard to take your post as seriously as you might intend it to be when your lexicon sounds so Slip Mahoney style.

Thirdly, I don't think we are any kind of family here at all. We are just posters on a forum board about the Lakers. Nothing more, nothing less. Family means something completely different.

Perhaps you meant "community" the way Vic the Brick means it when he says "There is unity in the community."' But I disagree with the validity of that statement too because that unity ended the day Chick Hearn passed away.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
Quote:
And you know what? davidse, my apologies dude really. As soon as I read the tittle of thread I seen (bleep) red...

I was wrong. Nobody should be afraid to start a discussion in here.

Laker fans, a word...

As the Lakers start there decent into the land of the elite we must all realize that we are family. Some of us just have a different way of going about appreciating our great franchise...

With that said davidse, I will try to understand what made you come to this, and post such a notion. Who knows, maybe you really do think that this would be a good idea...

However,hostility was uncalled for, and no matter how much the idea to me just sucks to high heaven there was no need to get upset...

davidse, again my apologies...

As someone else just posted, what a difference a year makes on this forum.

For all those who regress to ad hominem attacks on the author I ask what's the point?

Post's such as "This thread is idiotic" (paraphrases) etc etc, neither add to the discussion or are constructive in any way. This is a forum for discussing Laker issues last time I looked.

Also while other posters aren't really taking it to such personal level it would also be nice if this board didn't have posts such as:
"I'll third the notion. CLUELESS." or "not worth discussing".

Of course those posters have a right to their opinion just as I do and presumably feel that these types of posts are somehow worthwhile so I guess each to his own.

With that said I find it very interesting that as some fair minded posters have pointed out this thread would have had an entirely different complexion last year.

To take it a bit further, I venture to say if this thread had been started even this preseason we would be getting entirely different responses.

I have been a big supporter of Odom from the start and I agree with those who say our chemistry should not be messed with, especially as the team is starting to really gell. I also agree of course that Odom brings so many things to the table that fit right in with what the Lakers are right now. I also agree that this is probably not the time to discuss a trade for the most part and especially for Odom.

But looking back at what AK has done and what Odom has done I think it fair to say that contrary to those who simply attack the author from the start it is a fair question to ask and I congratulate those who were willing to discuss the question and offer a rationale for their conclusions.

The last 3 season's prior to this year the ppg between the 2 players is close. Odom has a slight edge on rebounding and even more for apg, which is countered by AK's better defense and improved ability to swat. AK is also younger than Odom. But based on this year, all that Odom can do and even more important the two player's contracts Odom is much more appealing at this time. Odom's contract make it much more possible to hold onto players that will need to be resigned in the near future which is clearly a very important consideration in itself.

As far as I'm concerned it is really great to see so much support for Odom and frankly it has been a very very long time coming. As a strong supporter of Odom all along and while it is clear that I wouldn't make the trade for the same reason many have already posted since I wouldn't even trade Odom for KG due to contract and age issues at the same time based the last 3 seasons prior to this year it is not an unreasonable topic.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject:

The Angry Buddhist wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:

No offense of any kind for shoes of any kind, but what are you actually trying to say?

Secondly the word "decent" means "okay" or "acceptable" or the opposite of indecent.

It's hard to take your post as seriously as you might intend it to be when your lexicon sounds so Slip Mahoney style.

Thirdly, I don't think we are any kind of family here at all. We are just posters on a forum board about the Lakers. Nothing more, nothing less. Family means something completely different.

Perhaps you meant "community" the way Vic the Brick means it when he says "There is unity in the community."' But I disagree with the validity of that statement too because that unity ended the day Chick Hearn passed away.

Your name becomes you!!! I'll be careful not to be sloppy around you again A B, I swear! Meantime let me also apologize to you as well! I feel like I just came from the wood shed!
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject:

wow shoes. thanks. great class.

i was sure you of all people would lash out at me for this, but like i said in the title - i was going for a serious discussion, posing a question - not even taking a real stand on the issue, and kept repeating how much i value odom.

i have to admit i did get some great responses and wonderfull arguments, and also the other type of posts i was sure i'll get from lg'ers - some with personal agendas, and others just making sure they stay "in line" with the lg fans "policy" about trade thoughts in general, and odom in particular.

its not like i wasn't expecting to get killed on the board for it, but i was prepared to put myself out there, with the hope that the board would rise to the challange - and you sure have.

i think that post of yours gives you and this forum a lot of class.
not sure if it matters that much to you - but you've earned a ton of respect from me right now.

thanks.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject:

I'm all for trading Odom but for the right deal and in the offseason.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject:

I'm all for trading any player as long as it makes the Lakers better. I don't believe there is anyone close to Lamar as far as his value to this team. He's the hidden piece that makes the whole thing run. If Lamar can come back and play hard every night like he was before his injury, this team could make some serious noise. Without him, we're likely to lose early in the playoffs.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
Quote:
And you know what? davidse, my apologies dude really. As soon as I read the tittle of thread I seen (bleep) red...

Laker fans, a word...

With that said davidse, I will try to understand what made you come to this, and post such a notion. Who knows, maybe you really do think that this would be a good idea...

However,hostility was uncalled for, and no matter how much the idea to me just sucks to high heaven there was no need to get upset...

For all those who regress to ad hominem attacks on the author I ask what's the point?

Post's such as "This thread is idiotic" (paraphrases) etc etc, neither add to the discussion or are constructive in any way. This is a forum for discussing Laker issues last time I looked.

Also while other posters aren't really taking it to such personal level it would also be nice if this board didn't have posts such as:

Of course those posters have a right to their opinion just as I do and presumably feel that these types of posts are somehow worthwhile so I guess each to his own.

With that said I find it very interesting that as some fair minded posters have pointed out this thread would have had an entirely different complexion last year.

To take it a bit further, I venture to say if this thread had been started even this preseason we would be getting entirely different responses.

I have been a big supporter of Odom from the start and I agree with those who say our chemistry should not be messed with, especially as the team is starting to really gell. I also agree of course that Odom brings so many things to the table that fit right in with what the Lakers are right now. I also agree that this is probably not the time to discuss a trade for the most part and especially for Odom.

But looking back at what AK has done and what Odom has done I think it fair to say that contrary to those who simply attack the author from the start it is a fair question to ask and I congratulate those who were willing to discuss the question and offer a rationale for their conclusions.

The last 3 season's prior to this year the ppg between the 2 players is close. Odom has a slight edge on rebounding and even more for apg, which is countered by AK's better defense and improved ability to swat. AK is also younger than Odom. But based on this year, all that Odom can do and even more important the two player's contracts Odom is much more appealing at this time. Odom's contract make it much more possible to hold onto players that will need to be resigned in the near future which is clearly a very important consideration in itself.

As far as I'm concerned it is really great to see so much support for Odom and frankly it has been a very very long time coming. As a strong supporter of Odom all along and while it is clear that I wouldn't make the trade for the same reason many have already posted since I wouldn't even trade Odom for KG due to contract and age issues at the same time based the last 3 seasons prior to this year it is not an unreasonable topic.

wow man. you make me proud to be a member of this community
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject:

ncaugnit wrote:
Dominator wrote:
No.

"I concur sir".
-Marcy(replying to Peppermint Patty's assertion that Charlie Brown's sister Salley throws herself at Linus to hide her burgeoning lesbianism).

SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject:

Kirilenko is at his best in the open court. LO didn't really get the tri until this season, IMHO. So, today, AK would not help.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: serious odom trade discussion

davidse wrote:
first of all - make no mistake about it - odom has been huge for us, has played very well, and is a very valuable member of this team.

so why bring this up ?

two things have me intrigued -

1. we seem to be doing pretty well offensively without odom

2. ak47 is having a bad year and has his issues fitting in offensively with the jazz.

i think that right now odom's value even eclipses kirilenko's.

but thing is, if we're doing so well offensively, how would we do if we traded odom for kirilenko and a 1st rd pick (i think we should be compensated in such a swap).

the offense shouldn't be worse than it is right now - already running without lamar, the defense - our weak link, would be vastly improved, and we'll get another pick in a very strong draft.

kirilenko has already shown he can play very well - defend and rebound as a pf - actually made the all star team as a pf.

taking nothing away from what odom means to this team, isn't it a thought that's worth entertaining ?

jazz would be all over it i'm sure.

Notwithstanding injury concerns I still have about AK-47, I would not do this deal. I've long maintained that, for this Laker team to succeed in the playoffs, we're gonna need a consistent 2nd scorer. As I'm still not convinced that even Odom fits that role, there's no way I'm going to feel any better with Kirilenko.

I'll concede that AK-47 will provide a significant upgrade defensively. But that upgrade doesn't necessarily come at a position where we need it the most.

As a side note, I don't believe that this thread is without merit. Although the team is currently playing well, nothing should prevent the organization from trying to make it even better.

I'll say this, though. I have a much better idea of the players this team can (and cannot) get by with.
The Angry Buddhist
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
The Angry Buddhist wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:

Your name becomes you!!! I'll be careful not to be sloppy around you again A B, I swear! Meantime let me also apologize to you as well! I feel like I just came from the wood shed!

No apologies necessary. A thousand blessings upon you.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject:

Seriously, if this "serious" discussion included an elite 2-way PF (You know the list) then ofcourse I'd do it.

However AK can not do the things that LO does for this team. The Lakers are being outrebounded way too much and rely far more on their perimeter guys without LO. Bigtime plays by Kobe and the role players have allowed them to have more success than failure with this strategy. However in the playoffs, you can't win it all playing that way. You need to win more rebounding battle and the paint points need to be more. The Lakers should become much better as a ballclub once they have their best rebounder and a post player (well a player from the 4 spot who can atleast drive inside or post up on a consistent basis unlike Cook).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject:

rebirth wrote:
no way.. ODOM is the missing piece.. do you have any idea how much better we are going to be with odom.. name me one player that we could realisticly add that would improve this team more than odom's return will?

i agree with you mon ami.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
Quote:

Laker fans, a word...

Co-sign.

Though I disagree with certain portions of LA_Lakers_Rule's comments, his/her thoughts on ad hominem attacks in dissenting opinions is spot on.

"You just don't get it."

Sorry, but how's that (and other responses like it) supposed to further a topic that was supported with good observations? Well. They don't.

That must mean that these types of comments are only meant to attack.

I don't believe that that's the purpose of this board.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject:

There's nothing wrong with a poster making a point blank statement that a COMMENT is pointless, clueless or without merit. An insult is when you make it personal, i.e., YOU are clueless; but attacks on IDEAS are perfectly warranted in a forum of discussion. That's what this is. Not every response has to be a 20 minute dialogue about the merits of one's opinions done in such a way as to ensure nothing ever offends anyone. Sometimes, a simple "this idea is foolish" says exactly what the poster intends to say and quickly. More over, some people work and want to respond to have a voice in thread, but dont' have 30 minutes to do it as nicely as some of you think every response should be - thus a straight, "this idea sucks" is perfectly acceptible. I also note that many of you chiming in on this issue, have plenty of history of delivering equally blunt and candid responses to threads you didn't agree with.

Also, for the records, the Lakers inspire passion in fans and that passion often leads to intense discussions and attacks of ideas. That's what this place is all about and if you're too sensitive that you have to take it personally when an IDEA is shot down, or somehow expect that people should qualify how they shoot down an IDEA, then having a discussions in a public forum is probably not the best avenue to share those ideas. Especially on a topic that does incite as much passion and intensity as this Lakers team does for its fans.
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
ocho wrote:
i don't think you get it.

yeah well, you also don't think the suns are the best team in the league right now...

If you are talking about the Suns,, Lakers need Odom to put the heat on Marion offensivewly and defensively. Same as per the Mavs. and Dirk. Ak47 can do it defensively but not offensively. We have Turiaf who held his own against even the top centers- put him in at PF and you'' get very good performance.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:

As I've said - Odom is the best matchup for the Suns and Mavs currently the top 2 teams in the NBA.

Having someone that can give the best fowards on the Suns and Mavs fits is vital to beating them in the playoffs.

And as many have said defensive rebounding is critical in the playoffs. We'll see what happens once Lamar comes back, but I think other than KG .. there's no other player I rather have at SF/PF to match up against Dallas/Pheonix in the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
wow shoes. thanks. great class.

i was sure you of all people would lash out at me for this, but like i said in the title - i was going for a serious discussion, posing a question - not even taking a real stand on the issue, and kept repeating how much i value odom.

i have to admit i did get some great responses and wonderfull arguments, and also the other type of posts i was sure i'll get from lg'ers - some with personal agendas, and others just making sure they stay "in line" with the lg fans "policy" about trade thoughts in general, and odom in particular.

its not like i wasn't expecting to get killed on the board for it, but i was prepared to put myself out there, with the hope that the board would rise to the challange - and you sure have.

i think that post of yours gives you and this forum a lot of class.
not sure if it matters that much to you - but you've earned a ton of respect from me right now.

thanks.

You know, davidse, this whole "class" thing goes both ways. You have certainly thrown around your share of insults and derogatory statements. I won't go into specifics because it is all water under the bridge, but let's not forget to be classy when it is you that disagrees with someone else's post.

Especially when I'm right
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
As I've said - Odom is the best matchup for the Suns and Mavs currently the top 2 teams in the NBA.

Having someone that can give the best fowards on the Suns and Mavs fits is vital to beating them in the playoffs.

And as many have said defensive rebounding is critical in the playoffs. We'll see what happens once Lamar comes back, but I think other than KG .. there's no other player I rather have at SF/PF to match up against Dallas/Pheonix in the playoffs.

Agree, Wolf. Defensively, Odom allows us to match him against Dirk and Marion one on one. This is a huge advantage for us that other teams don't have, and it changes how the Suns and Mavs can attack offensively. Also, let's not forget that odom, eventually, will become even more comfortablein the tri, allowing Kobe to spend more time ath the wing position. And Odom is our best rebounder.

Hmm, Defense, Rebounding and setting the table on offense. . .sounds like a hulluva player for a Phil Jackson team.
Dude
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject:

The only thing AK can do better than Odom is defend from the weakside. I'd say their man to man defense is comparable, with the edge to AK because of his rep with the refs. To illustrate this point I'd like to examine his efforts versus some of the more prolific scorers this year:

AK v Dirk 1/9 - Dirk goes 12-18 from the field and ended with 38 points
AK v Tmac 1/5 - Tracy goes 14-31 from the field and ended with 44 points.
AK v Kobe/Odom 12/30 - Kobe 19-26 FGs for 52 points/ Odom 5-9, 14points, 11rbs, 8 assits.

And these are just a few of the "match-ups" where I feel his hype is greater than his ability.

Odom is a better ball handler, play maker, shooter (in all aspects of shooting including free throws and long range), rebounder, and team leader. He also makes about 5 million less than AK.

Odom's impact on Laker defense has also been underestimated. Since he's been out we're giving up at least 5 more points / game easily.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
davidse wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
Quote:

Laker fans, a word...

Co-sign.

Though I disagree with certain portions of LA_Lakers_Rule's comments, his/her thoughts on ad hominem attacks in dissenting opinions is spot on.

"You just don't get it."

Sorry, but how's that (and other responses like it) supposed to further a topic that was supported with good observations? Well. They don't.

well as the person who said "i don't think you get it"...

the purpose of the board is to express opinons. he expressed his. i expressed mine. the fact that we're playing this well without odom is great...but imagine us WITH odom!! us playing well wihtout odom doesn't mean that odom is useless...it means everyone else is getting better and stepping it up. adding an all star caliber player to the mix can only make us that more lethal.

to suggest trading him, after his play in the playoffs and this season before he got injured is preposterous. trading him for a guy who has no offense and gets injured every other game is pure lunacy.

that's why i don't think he "gets it". it's not an attack. it's not personal. i think he should think it through more. and i find it funny that it is implied that "i want to have a serious discussion" means nobody is allowed to disagree with them. if they are...they're "attacking". whatever.

the armchair gm's of the board want to constantly trade quality players for overpaid, overrated players out of either boredom or lack of foresight. there's maybe one or two, maybe three players worth trading odom for and ak47 is NOT one of them.
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Waste of bandwidth.... :roll: LO stays.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:

"You just don't get it."

Many posters have had similar running disagreements amongst one another, and a simple "you just don't get it" refers not just to the current thread, but to countless other discussions that cover similar ground. The value of Lamar Odom to this team has been debated for years in many ways. Also, speculative trade threads in general, often ellicit these type of responses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: