Eddie Jones??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Eddie Jones??

Eddie Jones said he could be waived...

url=http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16484678.htm','14]Eddie Jones[/url]

what do you guys think?
just stirring up the talk wagon [

Last edited by masas on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject:

I was a fan of Eddie when he was a Laker, but I really dont see a role for him right now, he'd take Evans role if anything but I really like Evans and what hes doing. We could prolly log him a few minutes at SF though, using Rad as a PF but I dont know if it'll work. I dont think he can play PG, if he wants to come and sit on a bench to be a tutor, and play 5 minutes from once in a while then be my guest, boot Shammond.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject:

Eddie could be used for his defense in the right situations in place of Shammond for maybe 4-6 mpg. Fact is Shammond is absolutely superfluous on this team. We do not need his scoring and Eddie's defensive ability to cool a hot player down in short stints at critical times could be invaluable. Eddie is not what he has been but rested in limited minutes could be a factor in a game.

Sort of what Green would have been to the Lakers if we had not signed Shammond.

The question is would the Lakers eat the 1.2 million contract of Shammond?

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject:

No. (I hope my sugar-coating this didnt leave any apprehension to my decision.)
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject:

Not unless he is willing to sit on the bench for very limited mins... I want this team to grow...

Looking at last nights game.. I think a Webber would have messed up the energy we have as a young team
masas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

i doubt at 35 Eddie wants to start or star

He'd be like
an able aaron mckie with his decision making, defense, and ability to hit the open shot
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:

Bring Eddie Jones back to the Lakers! It'd be awesome seeing him back with us and helping us win a championship. Just drop McKie and pick him up.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:

People here wanted to give him the MLE.

Eddie seems like the perfect fit. Smart player, good defender, ball handling tall guard, friends with Kobe and no ego trips. The triangle is known to revitalize peoples career aka Rodman, Harper, Shaw and even Rick Fox to a degree.

If Eddie knows his role, he can be a huge lift to this team and maybe be that Ron Harper we've been looking for.

Former all stars.
Shoot the trey extremely well.
Good defenders.

In a world of Webbers and Jalen Rose's and Kieth Van Horn's, this is a player you would actually go after.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject:

If EJ were to be waived, I'd seriously consider him.

I could easily envision him playing a similar role as Evans (i.e. SG/SF combo defender).

These types of players are important when considering match-up situations with personnel from the top teams in the West.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:

very hard for a laker fan to turn down eddie, but i really think we don't have the need or pt to offer him.

if we're looking for an insurance multi positoinal guy who's a great tri fit - i wouldn't rule out that with eddie now available, the suns will buy out rose's contract (there was a rumor about that a couple of weeks ago), and will sign eddie.

jones to the suns
rose to the lakers.
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:

I could easily envision him playing a similar role as Evans (i.e. SG/SF combo defender).

These types of players are important when considering match-up situations with personnel from the top teams in the West.

This sort of fills in what Phil likes having a VET on the bench, who can step up...

Id think there would be a trade to another team (Ind) with one of our end=of-bench guy: Shammond/McKie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject:

Would it be possible to put him at the point and create a taller, yet more defensive lineup ala Ron Harper and extend Eddie's career?

If so, I'd love to bring him in.
Lamar2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

Eddie was still very good with Miami 2 years ago. He averaged like 16 points a game,and was still a great defender. I think the Achilles inury is what slowed him down since then.
masas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
very hard for a laker fan to turn down eddie, but i really think we don't have the need or pt to offer him.

if we're looking for an insurance multi positoinal guy who's a great tri fit - i wouldn't rule out that with eddie now available, the suns will buy out rose's contract (there was a rumor about that a couple of weeks ago), and will sign eddie.

jones to the suns
rose to the lakers.

wouldn't it just be easier and make more sense for the lakers to just grab eddie? as long as he'd sign with them...
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject:

i don't see eddie being as effective in the triangle as rose.
i think rose really has a chance to step up as a veteran in the playoffs and contribute.
as much as i love eddie - not sure he can do that for us. could be a better fit with phoenix i think.
masas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
i don't see eddie being as effective in the triangle as rose.
i think rose really has a chance to step up as a veteran in the playoffs and contribute.
as much as i love eddie - not sure he can do that for us. could be a better fit with phoenix i think.

anyone with two nimble feet and a decent shooting stroke is a good fit for phx
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject:

id bet money he goes to miami.

im pretty sure he doesnt come here.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject:

how about the jazz ?
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject:

I'd love to have Eddie back here, but I think he would be as much help as Jimmy Jackson was last year. If Mo weren't doing such a great job as Kobe's backup and at some spot sf minutes, I'd say Eddie would be a good veteran pickup mid-season. But since Mo is doing such a great job off the bench, there really isn't a reason to pick up Eddie at this point. I'd love to see Eddie end his career back with the Lakers and even though I thought I'd never say this (since I have always been a big EJ fan), I don't think he'll help.

Right now, I think the team has really got a good concept of what they need to do night-in/night-out. Hopefully, that will lead to more wins while LO and Kwame are making their recoveries.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject:

Aloha wrote:
And 1 wrote:

This sort of fills in what Phil likes having a VET on the bench, who can step up...

Id think there would be a trade to another team (Ind) with one of our end=of-bench guy: Shammond/McKie

Well, I guess you have to define what "stepping up" means to you.

Afterall, when considering his career, EJ is someone who has typically taken steps back (especially when it comes to playoff performances).

However, in my mind, the Lakers wouldn't need Jones to do much except to defensively matchup with the likes of Josh Howard, Jason Terry, Stack, Raja Bell, Ginobli, and Finley. These three teams have the ability to play with units comprised of SG/SF's personnel.

Given a choice between EJ and Shasha, I'd go with Jones every time.
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
I'd love to have Eddie back here, but I think he would be as much help as Jimmy Jackson was last year. If Mo weren't doing such a great job as Kobe's backup and at some spot sf minutes, I'd say Eddie would be a good veteran pickup mid-season. But since Mo is doing such a great job off the bench, there really isn't a reason to pick up Eddie at this point. I'd love to see Eddie end his career back with the Lakers and even though I thought I'd never say this (since I have always been a big EJ fan), I don't think he'll help.

Right now, I think the team has really got a good concept of what they need to do night-in/night-out. Hopefully, that will lead to more wins while LO and Kwame are making their recoveries.

good point, infact is Jimmy playing NBA ball this year?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Eddie could be used for his defense in the right situations in place of Shammond for maybe 4-6 mpg. Fact is Shammond is absolutely superfluous on this team. We do not need his scoring and Eddie's defensive ability to cool a hot player down in short stints at critical times could be invaluable. Eddie is not what he has been but rested in limited minutes could be a factor in a game.

Shammond? Who is Shammond? That dude? He still on the team? Oh Sherman! Sherman! Sherman!
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject:

Always liked Eddie felt bad for him though bc he was really coming into his own and then Kobe came it that was that.

I really don't see how he would be able to crack the rotation, I don't think there going to give him some of Luke's minutes or Odom. It would probably slow the growth of Mo if he took his minutes, I don't think it would be a good idea, and plus I don't think it would improve us overall.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

Shammond? Who is Shammond? That dude? He still on the team? Oh Sherman! Sherman! Sherman!

You may laugh but the guy can seriously ball. I was watching him at shootaround and he honestly looked like the best player out there. He kept burning Parker and made all his shots from the perimeter.

Shammond may have a problem with the tri but as far as talent he really has it.
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject:

yes! Bringing in a player who can play defense can never hurt. regardless of how many minutes he plays he is a good insurance in case something happens to one of our guards or small forwards.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: