A move the Lakers have to make (A legit back up for Kobe)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afo310
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: A move the Lakers have to make (A legit back up for Kobe)

There's been a ton of talk about who the Lakers should aquire. What do the Lakers REALLY need? A legit back up for Kobe.

Yes, this is another MJ comparison. However, its one that makes sense. One that makes even more sense when you consider how much more Kobe had to do at an earlier age. It's common knowledge that Kobe has played far more games than MJ at a comparable age. However, Kobe, under Phil Jackson, has had to play the role of MJ AND Scottie. He was relied upon to be a playmaker, score, score in the clutch AND guard the other teams best player. MJ, was able to extend his career at Kobe's age beacuse of Pippen. Pippen took over the role of playmaker and often guarded the other teams best 2/3 and even 4 vs the Suns.

I am by no means saying that the Lakers should find the next Scottie. Scottie, although not as skilled as MJ or Kobe, was and is a once in a generation player. The Lakers have playmakers in LO and Luke. What they lack is a great defender at the 2/3 who can spell Kobe and play with Luke or LO.

Kobe has NEVER had a true back up. The Lakers may have thought Mo Evans could fill the role, but he is a three in the triangle and can't play with Luke who plays the same role.

The Lakers don't build for ONE championship run... we look for multiple titles. In order to accomplish that, they must find a suitable back up for Kobe. As Kobe ages, his MPG won't be a factor, it's hard MPG that will factor in. Like MJ, he will need to take plays off and exert himself on the defensive end when absolutely neccesarry.

If the Lakers don't make a move... they may win one... but not many ior any more...
EHL_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Maurice Evans is more than a suitable backup for Kobe. To say he is a 3 is pretty ridiculous considering how undersized he is. Finding a backup for Kobe, frankly, is the absolute least of the Lakers' worries. Like at the very bottom of the list. MJ never had a backup either, btw.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject:

if it aint broke dont fix it.
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing by backup, you mean a defensive sidekick or something, because Scottie was a starter obviously.

I've seen Evans and Luke on the court together...what's wrong with that?

And how many Bruce Bowens are there in the league? It's not easy finding the great defender at the 2/3 position. The league is different now.
Melon Tea
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Sasha's the PERFECT backup!
afo310
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject:

EHL_2 wrote:
Maurice Evans is more than a suitable backup for Kobe. To say he is a 3 is pretty ridiculous considering how undersized he is. Finding a backup for Kobe, frankly, is the absolute least of the Lakers' worries. Like at the very bottom of the list. MJ never had a backup either, btw.

You're missing the point. Evans is a 3 on OFFENSE. Which means he's not a consistent option to replace Kobe when Luke is on the floor. He is defensively, but not on O. Which is why they're not on the floor together often. Phil feels O dicatates D.

If Sasha somehow develops... fine... but if not... Kobe will not get enoough in and out game rest to pro long his career... and thus the Lakers will not be as successful. No matter how well this team plays... their built around Kobe... bluntly... the Lakers current and future success depends on Kobe's ability to remain and maintain "Kobe"
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject:

How about Eddie Jones ?
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
How about Eddie Jones ?

Niiice, we could theoretically swap former Temple runningmates if McKie gets cut!!! Eddie and Mo backing up the 2/3 spots would allow Kobe to save most his energy for the offensive end!!!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject:

I think we are fine...I am over all this trade talk. Relax, let this team grow.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Ron Artest, but then people will nitpick about his attitude, as if these guys grow on trees.
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

No, we shouldn't. Just because we hit the jackpot with Bynum, doesn't mean that we should be content. Instead of settling for a 55-60 wins team, why not try for a 65-70 wins team.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:
Ron Artest, but then people will nitpick about his attitude, as if these guys grow on trees.

You mean headcases who laugh at 7 game losing streaks and say they're just playing around?
ForTheWin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

No, we shouldn't. Just because we hit the jackpot with Bynum, doesn't mean that we should be content. Instead of settling for a 55-60 wins team, why not try for a 65-70 wins team.

Because this team is only in its 2nd year. Bulls did not get 72 wins in 1 season...
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

You mean headcases who laugh at 7 game losing streaks and say they're just playing around?

Losing brings out the worst in players(and fans), and vice versa. Really, they say you should never get too high in wins, nor too low in losses. They might as well apply that to the fans.
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:

ForTheWin wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Because this team is only in its 2nd year. Bulls did not get 72 wins in 1 season...

Unless Bynum becomes a superstar overnight(even then it's questionable), 72 for this group is impossible.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:
ForTheWin wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Unless Bynum becomes a superstar overnight(even then it's questionable), 72 for this group is impossible.

If we can keep this team together for the next 3-5 years, this team will be dominant for a while. We are so young and our potential is barely tapped as yet. Why sacrafice our future for a risky move that may or may not put us over the top now? If its a guy like KG or J O'neal without losing LO, Bynum, Luke, or Kobe, thats another matter. Anyone else though, I stand by what I say.

Its like sea monkeys, just add water and watch them grow.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
afo310
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I THAT THE INTERNET...

... never get a message across... my fault I guess...

.. 65-70 wins... that's REGULAR SEASON... this LA not Dallas, Sacto or Phoenix. The Lakers not only win rings, they win MULTIPLE rings in succession or over a short period of time. The key to achiveing the goal... keeping Kobe, "Kobe", for as long as possible. This is also happen to be the point of thread.

BTW, if Eddie is available.... great SHORT term... if he's released.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A move the Lakers have to make

afo310 wrote:
Kobe has NEVER had a true back up. The Lakers may have thought Mo Evans could fill the role, but he is a three in the triangle and can't play with Luke who plays the same role.

That just plain isn't true.

Mo plays the 2 fine.

You might remember the first few games of the season when he subbed there for Kobe, playing with Luke, and did quite well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
afo310
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A move the Lakers have to make

PopcornMachine wrote:
afo310 wrote:

Mo plays the 2 fine.

You might remember the first few games of the season when he subbed there for Kobe, playing with Luke, and did quite well.

Not quite. First few games... I assume you mean the first 3. Mo Evans, 4-18 with 4 assists... BTW Ray Allaen shot 60% in Seattle's win in the third game of the year a LOSS... toss in the fourth game. Martin (Sacto)dropped 16 on the Lakers on 50% FG and went to the line 10 times and knocked down 8. Net result, 16 points. 80% from the line and 60% from the field... Mo 38% from the field and 5 fouls...

... so NO Mo is NO the answer.

The Lakers need a 2/3 that can score and defend. Hard to come by but worth it... if the Lakers want to elongate Kobe's career..

... the STATS AND THE OFFENSE PROVE IT... look at the stats and Phil's rotattion... the Lakers are running MO at the 2 out of neccessity. He is a three. The Lakers have to make a move.
afo310
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A move the Lakers have to make

afo310 wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:
afo310 wrote:

Mo plays the 2 fine.

Not quite. First few games... I assume you mean the first 3. Mo Evans, 4-18 with 4 assists... BTW Ray Allaen shot 60% in Seattle's win in the third game of the year a LOSS... toss in the fourth game. Martin (Sacto)dropped 16 on the Lakers on 50% FG and went to the line 10 times and knocked down 8. Net result, 16 points. 80% from the line and 60% from the field... Mo 38% from the field and 5 fouls...

... so NO Mo is NO the answer.

The Lakers need a 2/3 that can score and defend. Hard to come by but worth it... if the Lakers want to elongate Kobe's career..

... the STATS AND THE OFFENSE PROVE IT... look at the stats and Phil's rotattion... the Lakers are running MO at the 2 out of neccessity. He is a three. The Lakers have to make a move.

my statds are off... preseaon and Internet 7 is having problems... irregardless.. he 's not the answer... 6-19 lit up by Ray and J Rich... and in the first game... Suns... and Raja and Leo combined for 42.

Last edited by afo310 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Regardless, I think he is the answer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Evans+Sasha seems to be fine (so far, it might be different come playoffs)

What we really need is another big, Cook has got to stop playing C. We just got pounded on the boards.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:

Backup for Kobe??????????????
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:

I know I have a firm grasp of the obvious, but he is a head case and makes almost 7 mil. this year. A backup for Kobe? What are you talking about????See what happens when you take the training wheels off the tricycles....Serious head injuries can occur.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject:

Seriously, how is Evans not the answer?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: