Lakers Still Looking At Penny
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Lakers Still Looking At Penny

From Marc Stein at ESPN:

Quote:
Checked in Thursday with Phil Jackson regarding the Lakers' interest in giving Penny Hardaway his comeback opportunity, something L.A. is still considering.

It doesn't sound as though a signing is happening this weekend, but Phil also says he hasn't ruled out a move in the near future. That makes sense given that Hardaway is Jackson's kind of guard (big and experienced), presumably a good fit in the triangle offense (with his passing and ballhandling ability) and "not that old" in Jackson's estimation (if Penny is indeed healed after some six years of knee problems).

The Lakers have had what Jackson terms "a couple observation opportunities" to evaluate the 35-year-old behind closed doors. Hardaway is working out daily, shuttling between three cities (Miami, Houston and his hometown of Memphis) and insists that he's far healthier than he was in either of the past two seasons, when he managed to appear in only 41 games.

The difference, Penny contends, is a knee operation he had last March -- his fifth -- to address a bone-spur problem that complicated the recovery from Hardaway's original microfracture surgery back in 2000. Seattle also gave him a tryout but, as covered here recently, ultimately passed at least in part because new Sonics vice chairman Lenny Wilkens has final approval on basketball matters and had no interest in Hardaway after coaching him in New York.

Chances are it won't happen, but Jackson, by contrast, has never shied away from reclamation projects, deftly handling players with worse locker-room reps than Hardaway's. Yet I couldn't get more than a chuckle out of him when I pointed out that putting Penny in the same backcourt with Kobe Bryant -- with Phil on the bench and Jerry Buss in the stands -- wouldn't exactly improve the Lakers' chilly relations with old pal Shaquille O'Neal.

ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:

Only if they bring back L'il Penny in the deal. I love that little guy.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject:

Sasha>Penny. No thanks.
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Still Looking At Penny

numero-ocho wrote:
From Marc Stein at ESPN:

Quote:
Checked in Thursday with Phil Jackson regarding the Lakers' interest in giving Penny Hardaway his comeback opportunity, something L.A. is still considering.

It doesn't sound as though a signing is happening this weekend, but Phil also says he hasn't ruled out a move in the near future. That makes sense given that Hardaway is Jackson's kind of guard (big and experienced), presumably a good fit in the triangle offense (with his passing and ballhandling ability) and "not that old" in Jackson's estimation (if Penny is indeed healed after some six years of knee problems).

The Lakers have had what Jackson terms "a couple observation opportunities" to evaluate the 35-year-old behind closed doors. Hardaway is working out daily, shuttling between three cities (Miami, Houston and his hometown of Memphis) and insists that he's far healthier than he was in either of the past two seasons, when he managed to appear in only 41 games.

The difference, Penny contends, is a knee operation he had last March -- his fifth -- to address a bone-spur problem that complicated the recovery from Hardaway's original microfracture surgery back in 2000. Seattle also gave him a tryout but, as covered here recently, ultimately passed at least in part because new Sonics vice chairman Lenny Wilkens has final approval on basketball matters and had no interest in Hardaway after coaching him in New York.

Chances are it won't happen, but Jackson, by contrast, has never shied away from reclamation projects, deftly handling players with worse locker-room reps than Hardaway's. Yet I couldn't get more than a chuckle out of him when I pointed out that putting Penny in the same backcourt with Kobe Bryant -- with Phil on the bench and Jerry Buss in the stands -- wouldn't exactly improve the Lakers' chilly relations with old pal Shaquille O'Neal.

I read this in here yesterday.

Merge Topics?

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject:

Just another guy who, if we actually signed him, would languish at the end of the bench and only be seen in garbage time.

The guy is done.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:

Hardaway>McKIE
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject:

Actually in all fairness, I loved Hardaway when he was in Orlando. If he could give us at least 60% of that Hardaway, do it Mitch. At one time there was debate on whether (offensively) he was better than MJ.

We brought in Mitch Richmond, JR Rider, Jim Jackson, and McKie -- who all had offensive game -- only to come here and stink. I guess I would have to trust the front office on this one.
dadliboi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
Hardaway>McKIE

+1
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject:

My take:

The Lakers are waiting until February 22nd. One of two things will transpire:

1) McKie, Shammond, etc., may be used as salary-matching ballast for a trade. In that event, a roster spot may open for Penny.

2) No trade takes place, but with the trade deadline having tolled, the McKie or Shammond experiment can finally end. One of them will be waived, and Penny will be signed.
Showbe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Actually in all fairness, I loved Hardaway when he was in Orlando. If he could give us at least 60% of that Hardaway, do it Mitch. At one time there was debate on whether (offensively) he was better than MJ.

We brought in Mitch Richmond, JR Rider, Jim Jackson, and McKie -- who all had offensive game -- only to come here and stink. I guess I would have to trust the front office on this one.

None of those players were good passers they were only scores. offense doesn't just mean scoring, passing is part of it and its apart of the the triangle one thing that Penny has over those players is passing which is probably what Phil is looking at.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
Hardaway>McKIE

My grandma + wheelchair > McKie.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject:

Just say nooooo.....
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject:

merge topics....this thread already exists.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Sasha>Penny. No thanks.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:

Penny would give you more than McKie. Lakers are probably looking for that veteran guard - a void that hasn't been filled since last season.

If there's no trade by deadline, I wouldn't mind McKie being waived and Penny brought in.

Difference between Jimmy and Penny? Penny can handle the ball and pass. Jimmy could only shoot - and not even that as a Laker.

Choke jobs like we've almost had in Sacramento and San Antonio are exactly when you need a guy like Penny.

Vets - I'm all for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Penny would give you more than McKie. Lakers are probably looking for that veteran guard - a void that hasn't been filled since last season.

If there's no trade by deadline, I wouldn't mind McKie being waived and Penny brought in.

Difference between Jimmy and Penny? Penny can handle the ball and pass. Jimmy could only shoot - and not even that as a Laker.

Choke jobs like we've almost had in Sacramento and San Antonio are exactly when you need a guy like Penny.

Vets - I'm all for it.

I agree, but I would drop Shammond and pick up Penny. I still like McKie as a player coach.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Vets - I'm all for it.

I agree, but I would drop Shammond and pick up Penny. I still like McKie as a player coach.

But but....KG in 2008?
GailGoodrich25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers are going to open up a roster spot, Penney's a better choice than Williams or McKie but I'd rather have Eddie Jones. He's a much better fit.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject:

Penny is better than Mckie?? I guess, but who knows?? It's not like he's had any game time recently. And it's not like teams are tripping over each other to have him on their squad.

Okay so you waive McKie and sign Penny?? Why?? Who's minutes is he gonna take?? It's fine to waive Mckie, but Mckie doesn't play. Are we gonna pay off one guy's contract who doesn't play only to sign another guy and pay him not to play?? What's the point??

THis isn't 1995. Penny Hardaway is 36 years old. He hasn't done anything of note in YEARS and that includes being a veteran presence. Unless he can give you something tangible, there's no point.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Penny is better than Mckie?? I guess, but who knows?? It's not like he's had any game time recently. And it's not like teams are tripping over each other to have him on their squad.

Okay so you waive McKie and sign Penny?? Why?? Who's minutes is he gonna take?? It's fine to waive Mckie, but Mckie doesn't play. Are we gonna pay off one guy's contract who doesn't play only to sign another guy and pay him not to play?? What's the point??

THis isn't 1995. Penny Hardaway is 36 years old. He hasn't done anything of note in YEARS and that includes being a veteran presence. Unless he can give you something tangible, there's no point.

Penny will take McKie minutes. Makes perfect sense to pay them both for this kind of contribution.

What people are forgetting is that Sasha and Cookie are having any minutes ONLY as a "domino effect" of not having Lamar (cookie moving into a starter spot, Mo backing up Luke, Sasha backing up Kobe). As soon as Lamar is back, Sasha's and Cookie/Radman minutes will shrink significantly.

Sasha might get a nod if either Smush or Farmar start stinking big time...
Triple-Threat-Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Who cares about Penny. The guy isn't going to get minutes over Smush, Jordan, Mo, or even Sasha.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Its a good thing C-Webb didnt sign with us because it would have been very awkward if lil penny brought Tyra Banks to Staples
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject:

A Day in the Life wrote:
Who cares about Penny. The guy isn't going to get minutes over Smush, Jordan, Mo, or even Sasha.

Apparently Phil Jackson cares about him since he specifically mentioned that the Lakers had observed him in private workouts.

If they don't think he can get minutes over those guys and contribute, they won't sign him. There would be no reason to waive someone and pay yet another contract to a guy who won't play (since they're basically paying 2 guys already to just sit on the bench).

If they think he's healthy enough to contribute and able to run the offense being thrown into it mid-season, they'll sign him. If they don't, they won't. But to say who cares about Penny when obviously the Lakers care enough to have had representatives at at least two private workouts suggests that, in fact, the Lakers are somehwat interested in Penny and think he might be able to contribute.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Penny can come in critical situations - slow the game and lower the mistakes.

How many 4th qtr leads has his team almost blown already? How many times does Smush screw up with ballhandling in the 4th or Evans make a very poor pass? McKie was supposed to be the "closer" on the team next to Kobe in the backcourt. That is what Phil's still looking for. If Penny can even play 10-15 mpg when called upon, that is more than enough.

The question is whether he can even play that much. One thing about these vets is that their mistakes in the 4th qtrs are far less than say Jordan, Smush, Mo, Luke or Lamar would make. Other than Kobe can you guys honestly say you trust the ball in any other guards hands? I certainly don't. I've seen atleast 3 games these last 2 weeks where a 4th qtr lead has slipped because of stupid plays in the 4th qtr. Do that in the playoffs and it's potentially series changing blow.

One solution is have Kobe be the guard in the 4th but then you're taking away his scoring impact in the 4th to an extent. I don't think Phil or Mitch are this desperate for a veteran guard for no good reason. I mean Penny is as close to done as it gets, and yet they're still looking at him.

Best role playerto do that is playing with Cavs. I wish he weren't so overpaid, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Penny can come in critical situations - slow the game and lower the mistakes.

How many 4th qtr leads has his team almost blown already? How many times does Smush screw up with ballhandling in the 4th or Evans make a very poor pass? McKie was supposed to be the "closer" on the team next to Kobe in the backcourt. That is what Phil's still looking for. If Penny can even play 10-15 mpg when called upon, that is more than enough.

The question is whether he can even play that much. One thing about these vets is that their mistakes in the 4th qtrs are far less than say Jordan, Smush, Mo, Luke or Lamar would make. Other than Kobe can you guys honestly say you trust the ball in any other guards hands? I certainly don't. I've seen atleast 3 games these last 2 weeks where a 4th qtr lead has slipped because of stupid plays in the 4th qtr. Do that in the playoffs and it's potentially series changing blow.

One solution is have Kobe be the guard in the 4th but then you're taking away his scoring impact in the 4th to an extent. I don't think Phil or Mitch are this desperate for a veteran guard for no good reason. I mean Penny is as close to done as it gets, and yet they're still looking at him.

Best role playerto do that is playing with Cavs. I wish he weren't so overpaid, though.

Eric Snow would be awesome, like you said OVERPAID!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: