Luke or Farmar?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Luke or Farmar?
Luke
57%
 57%  [ 19 ]
Farmar
42%
 42%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 33

TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Luke or Farmar?

Supposed we had to give one up in a trade for Kidd, who'd you give up? Quite frankly, if the Nets want Kwame and Luke, I'd jump all over it. Kwame and Farmar? Too tough to call. Probably no.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:

The correct answer would be whoever the Nets want.
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject:

I don't think so. Kidd ain't exactly that young.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject:

That is a good thing, we have lots of young but a big lack of experienced vets. You don't win NBA titles with young.
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Yet if Farmar is the next J-Kidd, then you've lost out on a lot more chances at the title, haven't you?
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

keep ur pg of the future.ala suns nash and barbosa,,and dallas devean harris and jason terry.

luke would be choice

Last edited by Hydro21 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

venturalakersfan wrote:
The correct answer would be whoever the Nets want.

I dont know if I want to give up farmar for kidd. I just dont know. Its the same way i felt about bynum. The pickups mitch has going can last us another 10 years worth of winning. if we go older. we win today and possibly tomorrow. but then have to go down again. not as far as before but down all the same. If we stick with this team. Now if you had to get rid of luke, then you come back with an athletic forward that can defend these other athletes and knock a shot down. it wont hurt as bad. its easier to find that. which isn't a luke replacement. but its a hole that we need filled. but its not so easy to find a young savvy pg like farmar that can play some defense also. they're not a dime a dozen.

what can luke do? pass very well, shoot well when he isn't hurt(wrist, bruised knee) and rebound okay. and play good level off defense. he's pretty strong.

what can't luke do? speed by someone for a hoop, move his feet fast enough to stay in front of most SF's.

what can farmar do? Pass very well, shoot well(and can only get better with time), rebound well for a pg, good move your feet defender. plays the passing lanes well, can dribble drive to take someone to the basket.

what can't farmar do? guard the stronger Pg's well YET, in a 1 on 1 situation. How many strong pgs are out there? not many.

Thats why Luke goes first.

Look if Push came to shove and we just had to have evans off the bench instead of a starting SF.

Kwame(or Bynum)-C
PF-LO/Turiaf/Cook/Rad
SF-Kobe/Evans/Rad
SG-Smush/Evans/Kobe
PG-Kidd/Farmar

Farmar learns from kidd. he could end up becoming better then nash. how? for one like nash in college farmar has a thing for scoring. but because of his new coach at UCLA he couldn't show that talent. Nash at santa clara is why nash can still score with the best of em today. kidd taught nash how to pass extremely well.

but nash has never played defense. ever. Farmar on the other hand could be a guy that does both. That Jkidd could also rub off on smush if he has to play a little PG from time to time depending on the matchup. . Kobe also. since he's becoming such the passer. LO as well. another passer.

Jkidd could rub off on everyone that has a triple threat game. he could make the triangle better by that alone. But i would rather have him teaching farmar then having luke here. so when kidd gets to old to pull it off and he rides off into the sunset we now have a young vet in farmar running the show along with another young vet in smush that have both graduated from the school of Jkidd.

Last edited by postandpivot on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Hydro21 wrote:
keep ur pg of the future.ala suns nash and barbosa,,and dallas devean harris and jason terry.

luke would be choice

I'll agree with that. I think with his work ethic and youth, Farmar is at least a future starter, whereas Luke has pretty much peaked.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:
Yet if Farmar is the next J-Kidd, then you've lost out on a lot more chances at the title, haven't you?

So you want to lose out on titles now just because Farmar might be the next Kidd? I like Farmar, but there will be PGs available in the next few years who can impact the team as much as he can. But if hopng that he might develop into something special is worth early playoff elimination now, then I guess that is what we deal with.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Tough one.

If we give up Farmar, we have two seasons at best to find and train a replacement.

If we give up Luke we lose the #2 glue guy (Kobe is best at that, as well as almost everything else), move LO to SF, and are stuck with Cook & Vlad playing too many minutes at 4. If this trade included Kwame, the front-court would look even worse.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Luke or Farmar?

TheProdigy wrote:
Supposed we had to give one up in a trade for Kidd, who'd you give up? Quite frankly, if the Nets want Kwame and Luke, I'd jump all over it. Kwame and Farmar? Too tough to call. Probably no.

There's this rookie named Marcus Williams that backs-up Kidd,.. Nets don't need Farmar, when they have a Jason Kidd groomed Marcus Williams waiting to take the reigns.

The Nets need frontline help, and quite frankly the Nets can get a lot more then Kwame and Luke for JKidd. Why would the Nets do this deal?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Tough one.

If we give up Farmar, we have two seasons at best to find and train a replacement.

If we give up Luke we lose the #2 glue guy (Kobe is best at that, as well as almost everything else), move LO to SF, and are stuck with Cook & Vlad playing too many minutes at 4. If this trade included Kwame, the front-court would look even worse.

I think Mo and Vlad can hold down the SF/SG spot just fine, or perhaps even better. Regardless, the upgrade at the PG position is more than worth it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I would rather trade Farmar for Billups than Kidd.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Hydro21 wrote:

luke would be choice
3 years ago, Nash and Terry were not on there respective teams...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Keep Farmar. I would give up Luke way before farmar.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I would rather trade Farmar for Billups than Kidd.

Me too, but that's because Billups is just a much better fit than Kidd is for our team. Billups is the *IDEAL* triangle PG.

Honestly, I'm a big Farmar fan, but if the trade is Kwame/Mihm/Farmar for Kidd, I'd have to say yes and take it. We do have a habit of overrating our players here on LG.

Someone can say that Farmar's potential is similar to Bynum's, but they're wrong. Bynum has the potential to be a dominant center in a league that has barely any left. Good centers are a dying breed. Guards, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen, and continue to enter the league in flocks. That's why you never trade big for small, barring a huge disparity on talent.

To say that Farmar can be the next Kidd is premature. You're talking about one of the top 5 PGs of all time - a first ballot Hall of Famer. He may be old, but he's still racking up triple doubles with regularity THIS YEAR. Hell yeah, I'd take him.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Agree, Jeffs, Billups is my big wet dream. He would be a perfect addition to this team, good offensive PG, good defensive PG, vet who has won a title. I am sure he will become a FA, and wonder if Detroit will try to re-sign him. Our only chance is that he forces a S & T. If he does, any player not named Kobe, Odom, or Bynum is fair game to be traded.
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:

The idea is to save Kobe's prime. Billups won't be available till next year, and in another year, who knows where Farmar might be.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:

How is Farmar possibly the next Kidd? Based on exactly what?

I don't understand why people here want to overrate and overhype Farmar so much? He's a solid backup PG for now, that's all. All this "PG of the future" talk can be said about damn near EVERY player in the NBA that's a backup.

People act like if we give up Farmar then the Lakers are a lottery team for YEARS to come. Unbelievable. Farmar is solid, stop overhyping him with ridiculous claims of him being the next "Nash" or "Kidd" or anyone else.

Last edited by LuxuryBrown on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

Easy Lux, he said IF.
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Hydro21 wrote:

luke would be choice
3 years ago, Nash and Terry were not on there respective teams...

niether is kidd on the lakers yet.. but both teams have had the situation. you keep ur young pg. kidd will be the teacher and farmar will be the student for 2-3 years. by than kidd will be on the outs and farmar will be 22-23yrs old. ready to takeover the job.
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:

I wanted to say Stockton, it's just that Kidd's name seemed to illustrate the point better.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:
The idea is to save Kobe's prime. Billups won't be available till next year, and in another year, who knows where Farmar might be.

Billups will be available after this season. And if it takes Farmar to get him, you have to do it. Though I think you can do that trade without Farmar. I think you work it as a 3-way, and that the Pistons would prefer a more NBA-ready PG than Farmar.
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

Billups will be available after this season. And if it takes Farmar to get him, you have to do it. Though I think you can do that trade without Farmar. I think you work it as a 3-way, and that the Pistons would prefer a more NBA-ready PG than Farmar.

yeah im sure detroit is just dying to trade him to us.. newsflash folks teams arent gonna help Lakers get better.the only reason we even have a realistic shot of getting kidd is because thorn is getting desperate and is almost ready to blow up the team.... he could easily wait it out and get a much better offer for kidd than kwame and luke or farmar.

Last edited by Hydro21 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

Easy Lux, he said IF.

And that's what I'm asking...what even gives him the notion to use "If"...based on what?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: