Keep the "Core" together
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Keep the "Core" together

Jerry West was a mastermind at collecting talent. He already had Eddie Jones and Campbell. He acquired Horry from Phoenix for Ceballos, Fox signed as a free agent, they drafted Fish, stole-I mean traded for Kobe, then the diesel signed with LA. That was their "core" players that went through high-powered regular seasons, only to get swept in the playoffs. But J West stuck with his "core" of players and let them learn how to play together. Then Phil Jackson came in and the rest was history.

Now their core consists of Kobe, LO, Butler, Mihm. Not as impressive as the ^^ original core, but it is something to build upon. I am as demanding as the next Laker fan, but I believe that we should resist breaking up this core and hope that this new amnesty deal works in our favor. Take lumps now, and reap the rewards later. Just like before...
Endure 12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject:

Atleast keep the core together for one more year under a stable coach. If it doesn't work then look to trade, but until then keep them together.
Pjax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject:

Endure 12 wrote:
Atleast keep the core together for one more year under a stable coach. If it doesn't work then look to trade, but until then keep them together.

I think exactly the same
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject:

I agree and thanks for sharing. It's nice to see a "stick together" thread.

I think the Lakers will wave Grant. they really don't need him and $30m in luxury tax saved is a ton, even for Buss.

I would add some others to that "core". They needa a PG and Antonio Daniels would fit perfectly. They could use another Big unless Turiaf shines. Maybe Divac can help alittle. it would be nice if he'd go out positively and be a mentor to Byrum and Mihm.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject:

i agree but we should get mutumbo just as are defensive needs and we put mihm as are pf and we keep divac cuz he can be a great back up for offense and bynum could sit on the bech watch and learn and turaif would be a great backk up for mihm now since well wave grant we get daniels he doesnt have to be a backup point he can be kobes back up to just in case if he haves foul trouble too so will have a cheaper team but alteats it saves alot of money to get what we want in the future os i think we should do that for lakers not for the fans they be around espacially if we win cuz think about it we got three guys than can score and we would have better players around us than we did with shaq and kobe cuz those we had werent all that imagine this lineup will be great
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:

They don't have to break up Odom, Butler and Kobe yet but they must add some important pieces.

Someone like Ratliff. Daniels or Ty Lue. Then they must really develop the young guys like Brian Cook, Ronny Turiaf, Luke Walton, - 3 frontcourt players that have skills to help the Lakers (Cook - shooting, Turiaf - toughness in the post, Walton - PG play) and make them solid role players coming off the bench.

1 swat ace and a pressure guard is important. Very important and needs to be added somehow.

The X factor is Bynum. How long and if he will develop. That's the key thing right now. Bynum pans out - the Lakers will be very good down the line. If Bynum doesn't - they will have to make some major changes and trade pieces of the core.

Because if the Lakers truly are looking longterm you have to look at players that are under 28. Taking into account it takes 2 years to get things really rolling - so you need a relatively young nucleus.
Going into 2005-2006 (ages)

Kobe Bryant 27
Lamar Odom 26
Caron Butler 25
Chris Mihm 26
Jumaine Jones 26
Brian Cook 24
Sasha Vujacic 21
Luke Walton 25
Andrew Bynum 18
Ronny Turiaf 22
Slava Medvedenko 26
Von Wafer 20

That's 12 players with an average age of 23.8 - which would put make us one of the youngest rosters in the league.

Perhaps it's best for the Lakers to get rid of Grant and Divac, and aquire 2 players in their place (Big that can swat and a pressure guard) and keep the youth movement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject:

I agree with wolf completely. I'd like to see how Caron will play in the backcourt with Kobe, and Lamar at SF before breaking up that trio. Caron has been shedding weight, improving his ballhandling and increasing his speed this summer at Phil's request. I think he and Kobe can do some damage together. With some work on his ballhandling he can play Harper's role. Lamar looks like a virtuoso one night and a stoner the next night. I never know what to expect from him, but maybe Phil can give him a more defined role. They deserve at least one full season under a real coach.
Kobina returns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject:

My potential stats for next season:

Kobe 28ppg 5rpg 5apg
Odom 15ppg 9rpg 5apg
Butler 18ppg 5rpg 4apg

This is what I expect from the Lakers. Kobe will have his usual productive numbers. Since Phil wants Odom to be a playmaker and initiator and creator, his assists should go up while his other numbers remain in tact. Butler averaged 22ppg for the last 15 games or so at the end of the regular season so I should expect it lead into this upcoming season. Butler did not score more just because he got more shots due to injuries, but he improved his game as well.

Now all we do is add in good role players like Mihm and Atkins and this team shouldn't have trouble scoring. The problem is defense, if the Lakers can defend then they'll have a very good season coming up. And having some impact players off the bench like JJ, an improved Sasha, and whoever should make the Lakers one tough team to beat.
ChiefTriangle38
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject:

Yes, keep the ore together! they are young and have many years ahead of them, if we get like KG, thats only like 5 yrs. These guys will be 30 in 5 yrs!
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject:

Endure 12 wrote:

Wait a year and 23M in last years goes up in smoke. Now is the time to trade. Now is when the trade assets are highest. Waiting a year would be incredibly shortsighted and a sign of no planning whatsoever. You deal when you have the asssets to get value, not when it's convenient for an internal fan timetable to "let them gel" last year's fruitless battle cry.

Yeah let's keep the core. And have no bigs worth a damn, defense as tough as balsa wood and go right back to the lottery. Great idea.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I agree with wolf completely. I'd like to see how Caron will play in the backcourt with Kobe, and Lamar at SF before breaking up that trio. Caron has been shedding weight, improving his ballhandling and increasing his speed this summer at Phil's request. I think he and Kobe can do some damage together. With some work on his ballhandling he can play Harper's role. Lamar looks like a virtuoso one night and a stoner the next night. I never know what to expect from him, but maybe Phil can give him a more defined role. They deserve at least one full season under a real coach.

Quote:
Caron has been shedding weight, improving his ballhandling and increasing his speed this summer at Phil's request.

Really???

I hadn't heard of that? Well, that's it...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnddd now introducing your Los Angeles Lakers!!!!

At guard, at 6'6 and, 220 LBS out of lower Marion High, #8 KKKKKKKKKKoobbbeee Bryant!!

At the other guard, 6'7 weighing in at 217LBS from Connecticut wearing #1

CCCCCAAAARRRRROOOONNNN BBBBUUUTTTTLLLLEEEERRRR!!!

Ladies and, gentleman that is slightly over 13ft of slashing,thrashing, skilled humanity on the perimeter alone!

It gives a brothah goose bumps!!!
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject:

Sky wrote:
Endure 12 wrote:

Wait a year and 23M in last years goes up in smoke. Now is the time to trade. Now is when the trade assets are highest. Waiting a year would be incredibly shortsighted and a sign of no planning whatsoever. You deal when you have the asssets to get value, not when it's convenient for an internal fan timetable to "let them gel" last year's fruitless battle cry.

Yeah let's keep the core. And have no bigs worth a damn, defense as tough as balsa wood and go right back to the lottery. Great idea.

Alright, I'm listening Sky... Set up a package including Caron! Who would you include to get what Big? Who or, what big could be obtained that would benefit this team and, make a greater impact than a Butler, Bryant (aka The Killer B's) backcourt?

The "Killer B's" alone will average 40+ points a night plus give you a formidable defense. I think under Jacksons direction we will see that Butler that was getting peoples attention for his defense in his rookie year...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject:

Sky - You can keep the core of Mihm, Odom, Butler and Kobe and still deal Atkins/Divac/George as last years in trade bait.

Targets

- Webber (Huge salary but incredible for the Triangle offense as well as a post base)
- Ratliff (My favorite, Blazers save two yaers worth of salary for an aging big)

Then there's the MLE, LLE. Turiaf and Bynum are young Big's that the Lakers want to develop as the future C/PF.

I don't think there's going to be an overhaul. However i think it's very possible we get better by using the MLE, LLE and making one trade with last year's for an overpaid Vet big.

Peace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DNA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject:

We don't need a big, with Bynum and Mihm our front court is set. Even if those two are question marks, you still need a point guard anyway. JJ, Francis and Marbury should be the target.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject:

Bring in a defensive PG and a quality big without trading one of the "core", then you can keep them together. Butler would make a great 6th man.
kixter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject:

KB, LO, and CB are a good coryeare of players to keep... just keep them for a year and see how they roll, besides, in 2007, we will get cap space already and that should help a lot...
Lakers#33
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Keep the "Core" together

Quote:
Texas_Pete
Jerry West was a mastermind at collecting talent. He already had Eddie Jones and Campbell. He acquired Horry from Phoenix for Ceballos, Fox signed as a free agent, they drafted Fish, stole-I mean traded for Kobe, then the diesel signed with LA. That was their "core" players that went through high-powered regular seasons, only to get swept in the playoffs. But J West stuck with his "core" of players and let them learn how to play together. Then Phil Jackson came in and the rest was history.

Now their core consists of Kobe, LO, Butler, Mihm. Not as impressive as the ^^ original core, but it is something to build upon. I am as demanding as the next Laker fan, but I believe that we should resist breaking up this core and hope that this new amnesty deal works in our favor. Take lumps now, and reap the rewards later. Just like before...

Lakers aren't in any rush to break this core, but if some thing good comes along they will. As you see, it did take West few years to put that talent together.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject:

If Butler remains on the roster for the upcoming season the organization has FAILED tremendously in its attempt to become a contender in the years to come...Any thoughts of a ring w/ Kobe... in his PRIME.. go out the window.

There are no bigs that can realistically be had in trade or F/A without a trade of butler and expiring k's.

The teams only hope would be to luck into a fire-sale from some other team. i dont think anyone wants to depend on something like that to happen for this team to compete. They have the pieces.. make the deals that are necessary.
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Shoes - You want specific trades? ok...

LA Butler, Mihm, Vlade
NO Magloire, Claxton, West

Lakers get a young impact power player in Magloire, a fast starting 1 that can create steals, man up, run transition and doesn't need the ball in Speedy, and a solid young 4 to add to the power rotation in West.

Hornets get a young center to replace Mags, a 3 they covet and need in Caron, and can buy out Vlade to save cash. Can afford to lose Speedy since they drafted Paul and want to keep Dickau.

Wolf - I don't think Webber will be dealt. Now that they've dumped O'Brien the Sixers wil want to evaluate what this talent can do uner Mo Cheeks.

Maybe Ratliff can be had for last years, but the Lakers will have to be willing to take on another bad K in addition to Rat, either DA or Kobestopper. Not sure if Buss will do that. I hope so, but it's no lock.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Sky wrote:

LA Butler, Mihm, Vlade

Lakers get a young impact power player in Magloire, a fast starting 1 that can create steals, man up, run transition and doesn't need the ball in Speedy, and a solid young 4 to add to the power core in West.

Hornets get a young center to replace Mags, a 3 they covet and need in Caron, and can buy out Vlade to save cash. Can afford to lose Speedy since they drafted Paul and want to keep Dickau.

Wolf - I don't think Webber will be dealt. Now that they've dumped O'Brien the Sixers wil want to evaluate what this talent can do uner Mo Cheeks.

Maybe Ratliff can be had for last years, but the Lakers will have to be willing to take on another bad K in addition to Rat, either DA or Kobestopper. Not sure if Buss will do that. I hope so, but it's no lock.

Sky -- I'd do that in a cold minute.

We can still keep Chucky as a gunner backup guard (probably what he's best suited for), and while I hate to lsoe the quickness and hustle of Mihm, at least Mags has some more bulk.

You could even add some old tri vets like Rush (big guard, outside shooter) and Madsen (hustle energy forward) -- both for cheap -- and still make the team better than last year by far.

PG/ Init'r -- Claxton, Atkins, Sasha
SG/ Wing -- Kobe, Rush
SF/ Set-up -- Odom, Walton
PF/ Banger -- West, Madsen, Turiaf
C/ Rebounder -- Mags, Grant, Divac (buyback) and Bynum

Works for me.

MIM
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Sky wrote:

LA Butler, Mihm, Vlade

Lakers get a young impact power player in Magloire, a fast starting 1 that can create steals, man up, run transition and doesn't need the ball in Speedy, and a solid young 4 to add to the power rotation in West.

I think it's a gamble for Philly either way. They keep him and he does great under Cheeks then they're sitting happy. Problem is though if Webber has another bad year then they lost their waiver on his contract and less teams would be willing to take his contract off their hands. Webber would offically become untradable.
Endure 12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Wait a year and 23M in last years goes up in smoke. Now is the time to trade.

Trade deadline? We can get a really good player at the deadline for scrubs that come off the books. Look what happened with Webber and B.Diddy. They were given up for nothing at the deadline.

I hope the lakers can pull something off next year at the deadline
Panthera
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, we had such a great season so we definitely must keep the core together.
Another lottery year? No problem with Funkee.
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Endure - No Phil Jackson coached team has ever made a deadline trade. Because he values a team's collective progress up the triangle learning curve above everything else. Banking on a deadline deal with Phil involved in personnel decisions? Good luck.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject:

My thoughts:

If we are going for an aged veteran for immediate help the only tradeables should be Divac, Grant, Atkins, Jones, George, Cook and/or Slava.

If we are going for a young player for both immediate and future improvement then you can throw in Butler, Wafer or Mihm on the tradeable list.

Either option is fine with me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: