Would Lakers/Philadelphia do a Dalembert for Kwame Trade?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lionballer7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Would Lakers/Philadelphia do a Dalembert for Kwame Trade?

Why for PhilliY? Dalembert has a pretty long K and Kwame's comes off the books after next season.

Phillie is rebulding.

They are going to have a high draft pick, and I'm assuming they'll take Oden, Durant, Noah or Horford...

they have Steven Hunter, who is cheaper and he can step in for Dalembert until next season.

Why for the Lakers?

We won't be able to resign Kwame.

Dalembert is a good shotblocker, and he can be defensive anchor.

He is a good rebounder.

He is still young.

He can play the four next to Bynum and our frontcourt would be athletic and and long.

He has soft hands and dunks the ball and has nice touch around the basket.

What do ya'll think?

(flame away...)
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:

yes they would- lakers would not
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject:

I would consider that a lateral move talent wise, and a poor move financially. So I agree with Eric, I doubt the Lakers are interested.

Eric, I have heard that the Lakers are discussing moving Kwame, have you heard that as well?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:

Personally I like Dalembert. Athletic and a great shot blocker. He has also shown that without Iverson, he has somewhat of an offensive game (though it has nothing to do with a jump shot). But he makes a ton of mental mistakes and has hands of stone - similar to Kwame. He's also a little slow on the uptake if you know what I mean, so I'd think it'd be a real challenge for him to pick up the triangle. I also don't know about him at the PF. Throw in that monster contract and it's just not enough of an upgrade to consider.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject:

if LA can get someone special - Kwame is probably the bulk of the bait - but they don't move him laterally.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't do anything net positive for the Lakers. I'd rather keep Kwame and try giving him burn at PF... the sooner the better.

If you trade Kwame, it's for a quality PF or PG. That means the Lakers will probably get someone a bit older, or disgruntled, but proven nevertheless.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject:

kwame can't play 4 in the triangle
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Exactly. Everyone wants him to play the 4 for defensive purposes, but he gets in foul trouble against the athletic 4's in the league. On offense we don't stand a chance in Kwame is at the 4. Look at the PFs we've been successful with in the tri: AC Green, Horace Grant, Karl Malone. All these guys can shoot the open jumper. Kwame cannot.

What are the chances of Drew Gooden being available for a Kwame package? Probably not good, but he is exactly the type of PF this team needs. Nice outside shot and hustles for the rebound.
chino
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Do it Mitch!!!
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Something that might make more sense is a package including Kwame for Miller and Dalembert. Philly will at least want a future 1st, and I don't think you can get out of that without giving up Farmar (which I wouldn't). Lets say Philly likes the idea of giving up their 2 biggest long term deals for Kwame, expiring contracts, Cook, Parker and a 1st.

PG SG SF PF C
Miller Bryant Walton Odom Bynum
Farmar Evans Vlad Dalembert
Vujacic Turiaf

I know it looks funny, but the bottom line is that Dalembert would still get starter minutes (30) between backing up Odom and Bynum. He could log big minutes if Bynum and Turiaf get into foul trouble, so it takes pressure off of them. You could go with an Odom/Dalembert/Bynum lineup if needed, and Turiaf still gets minutes as the only other big man. I'm starting to warm to the idea of the deal, but I don't know how you'd get guys like Walton, and then Turiaf and Evans into long term deals without paying luxury tax.

*the spacing didn't work out, but hopefully it makes sense.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject:

Dalembert isn't a 4 in any offense.

I just love how someone proposes a ridiculous trade and then someone else inevitably expands it to something that goes beyond ridiculous.

"Ely might be available"

"Hey, that's great, let's get Ely, Okafor, Knight and Wallace!"

fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject:

beyond ridiculous? Neither Kwame nor Dalembert are an offensive threat at the four, but most in this thread think of this move as a step down, or no improvement talent wise. Under this scenario, you pickup a solid defensive vet guard that handles the ball well for expiring contracts. Dalembert's deal isn't as bad as Kwame's could be, and though I'd rather keep him for a bigger deal, I wouldn't be mad if they did something like this. You'd give up post defense for shot blocking and rebounding, and strengthen your 8 or 9 man rotation. I'm not trying to piggyback a trade idea, but it just seems like it makes sense. Way to jump to an extreme and compare an upgrade to wanting Charlotte's starting lineup!
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject:

I personally think Dalembert has more talent than Kwame.

Bulk is nice but shot blocking and rebounding are more important qualities for a center, I think.
Dalembert possesses these skills whereas Kwame doesn't.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Look at the PFs we've been successful with in the tri: AC Green, Horace Grant, Karl Malone. All these guys can shoot the open jumper. Kwame cannot.

If you believe the people who saw him play at Washington, they say he does have a jumper. The guy doesn't look comfortable at all out there.

^^ Farmar

eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
emplay wrote:

Exactly. Everyone wants him to play the 4 for defensive purposes, but he gets in foul trouble against the athletic 4's in the league.

Actually he's done well against KG, even getting compliments from KG on his defense.

^^ Farmar

eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
I personally think Dalembert has more talent than Kwame.

Bulk is nice but shot blocking and rebounding are more important qualities for a center, I think.
Dalembert possesses these skills whereas Kwame doesn't.

It's not just bulk, it's the patience, strength and footwork that Kwame has. Kwame wouldn't have been getting pushed around in the post like Turiaf by O'neal.

^^ Farmar

AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject:

Lamar/Kwame for Iguodala/Dalembert/Joe Smith. Do it Mitchel.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers can't afford to pay a big contract to a backup center. The future at center is Andrew Bynum. If they trade Kwame, it might be might be a combination of Kwame and someone else to upgrade in another position. How about Kwame, Vlad, filler and the Lakers #1 in 2007 for Vince Carter?
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I think it does make sense to pay Dalembert the same as Kwame to play 30mpg and backup both PF and C. The thing that I didn't take into account is that his contract is a bit more steep than I thought, and hits as much as 12.2 Mill in the last year. That is a bit much. I like the VC idea, as long as you can make an offer to retain him. Have to think that they get enough offers with proven youngsters, so you may need to give up Farmar to do it. I know people will bring up that they have Williams, but talent is talent, and if VC goes...Kidd is next.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
The Lakers can't afford to pay a big contract to a backup center. The future at center is Andrew Bynum. If they trade Kwame, it might be might be a combination of Kwame and someone else to upgrade in another position. How about Kwame, Vlad, filler and the Lakers #1 in 2007 for Vince Carter?

Ditto on Dalembert.

Why would we need Vince? The last opponent SF he played well defensively against was Bowen

He can't guard his own coach at practice...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: