LAKERS -at- HAWKS - 2/5 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- HAWKS - 2/5 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

Lakers at Hawks?... There were times during the fourth quarter when Philips Arena sounded more like a Laker home game. You've got one shot to see Kobe and the Lakers on this Eastern Conference trip, so Laker fans are turning out and representing in large numbers.

"When the building kind of starts rooting for us, you feel like it's an opportunity to kind of go for the kill a little bit," Kobe said in the Times. "It can't help but be a little demoralizing for the home team."

Kobe had a stretch of domination after coming off the bench in the fourth quarter that had the crowd roaring. He finished with 27 points on 10-18 shooting, 11 of those came in the fourth. The Lakers also got double-doubles from Lamar (15 points, 18 boards) and Bynum (14 points, 10 boards).

Both teams struggled to score in the first half and a lot of freethrows at times made this a choppy, ugly game until late. Josh Smith was playing above the rims on both ends to give it a little edge. With the 90-83 win, the Lakers improved to 11-13 on the road, and 11 games over .500 at 30-19.

Kobe -- -- Another road game, another round of "MVP" chants on the opponent's floor. Atlanta isn't like Boston, of course, but the roars in support of Kobe when he starting lighting it up in the fourth were loud. Amazing. Kobe hit a series of jumpers -- a couple of the ridiculous variety -- to help take control of the game. He scored 9 straight points in that stretch. The Hawks then had to zero in on him and double and the Lakers started getting others to score. Kobe scored 27 points on 10-18 shooting (2-5 from three, 5-6 from the line), pulled down 6 boards, dished 4 assists and had 3 steals. On to the action: He was fouled on an And-1 baseline jumper a minute into the game, he made the FT. He picked Johnson clean in transition, then was fouled on the other end, he made one FT. He was called for palming. He missed a three. He missed a bank. He was tapped on a wing jumper. He posted up and went glass for a score. He took a handoff from Bynum, got in the lane, spun, drew contact and muscled in an And-1 with his left, he made the FT. He missed a fading elbow jumper. He stripped Williams on help D. He kicked out to Farmar for a three. He had 9 points on 3-8 shooting and 3 steals in the first half. He hit a fading wing jumper. He swished a wing catch-and-shoot jumper behind a screen. He sank a quick pull-up wing three and missed a buzzer-beater three to end the third. In off the bench in the fourth, he quickly drained a step-back wing jumper. On the next possession, he swished another jumper. He drew an offensive push-off foul on Johnson. They got the ball to him with a couple seconds on the shotclock, he rose up and swished the 28-footer. Wow, the next one only Kobe makes...he drained a fallaway jumper from the deep corner with two men on him on the next possession and the Atlanta crowd went nuts. He picked up a foul on Johnson and the crowd boo'd the call. They doubled him next time down and he hit Smush for a three. He missed his next jumper. He attacked and set up Drew for a couple of FTs. Great job imposing his game on the Hawks to take them out in the fourth.

Lamar -- -- Lamar couldn't buy a basket, but he was a rebound monster throughout the game. With the Hawks shooting 39 percent, there were a lot of boards to be had and LO never stopped working. Lamar scored 15 points on 4-17 shooting (0-2 from three, 7-8 from the line), grabbed 18 boards (5 offensive) and dishesd 6 assists with 4 turnovers in 42 minutes. Even though he was shooting poorly, I'm not going to knock him for the aggression. Josh Smith just gave him a lot of trouble at times challenging and Lamar missed some short fades and layups. He missed a drive, getting tapped on the layup. He missed a three. He got tapped on back-to-back stepback jumpers from short range. He was blocked on a layup attempt. He tipped in a miss by Turiaf. He missed a wide open pull-up jumper from the FT line at the end of the first quarter, he wanted the foul. He charged over Smith on an attack off the dribble. He posted him up next time, jumped into his chest and powered in an easy score. He had 6 points on 3-10 shooting in the first half and 9 boards. After setting a pick for Vlad, he sealed his man and drew a foul, he made one FT. He attacked, spun and drew a foul on a jumper, he made both FTs. He swished a wing pull-up jumper. Good work to get an offensive board off a FT miss. knocking it away from the defender up high. He airballed a three. He missed a layup, but Ronny cleaned it up. He was blocked, then hit the rim trying to beat the shotclock. He missed a runner off the glass. He hit a couple of late FTs.

Bynum -- -- Stat of the night, Andrew Bynum 0-1 from three. What the? The Lakers had just iced the game and were running down clock when Smush kicked it to him at the three line and he decided to shoot the triple from the corner with 12 seconds left on the shotclock. He missed, good looking shot, though...it still didn't save him from getting the hook from Phil. Drew was smiling for several minutes after that one. Pretty funny. Excellent game from Bynum with another double-double, this time scoring 14 points on 5-9 shooting and grabbing 10 boards in 35 minutes. He did another solid job anchoring the D and challenging shots. Even though he had just the one block, his presence was still felt by the Hawks. He took a Smush feed, missed the reverse, then tapped it in. He missed an up and under trying to finish with his left. He took a feed from Smush, got contact with no call and banked in a short jumper. He lost a ball off his leg when he was getting ready to go up. He hit a left-handed hook over Smith. He swished a pretty looking jumphook from the right block. He had 8 points on 4-6 shooting and 5 boards in the first half. Vlad set him up under the hoop for FTs and Bynum clanked both. He had a basket robbed when they said he traveled on a jumper in the lane. He attacked quickly in the post (didn't wait for anyone to cut) and drew a foul from behind, he made one FT. He missed a long jumphook with his left badly. He worked the two-man sequence with Lamar and scored an And-1 under the hoop, he made the FT. He swatted Johnson who tried to score around him in the paint late in the game. With 58 seconds left, Kobe drove and dished to Bynum and he was fouled going up to dunk, he made both FTs to pretty much ice the game. Despite the one miss with his left that was a little far from the hoop, this roadtrip has really seen some consistent use of that off hand with decent results.

Smush -- -- Man, here I make a post on this site earlier about how much more consistent Smush has been this year -- none of those big games, then single digit drop offs -- well, inconsistency reared its ugly head in this one. After getting to 20 a couple times, Smush had just 3 points on 1-8 shooting (1-5 from three). Smush also had some general poor decision-making in transition at times. On the good side, he led the team with 6 steals again and dished 5 assists in this one. Prior to this game Smush ranked 13th in total steals in the NBA. This game probably moves him to 9th overall. He missed a step-back jumper. He missed a wing jumper off a handoff. He missed a pull-up three in transition. He anticipated an entry pass and stole it. He threw a lob Bynum couldn't get in transition. He charged on the break trying to go up strong and then compounded his error by picking up a tech. He bricked an open three. He knocked a ball loose on a double team. He picked up his fourth foul and had to sit midway through the third. Smush finally scratched when they left him to double Kobe and he had to rush a three over a defender to beat the shotclock with 4:22 left in the game. He missed an open three straight away. Great steal, Johnson had his back turned, Smush ran to blindside him, it looked like Johnson saw him, but Smush showed those quick hands and still swiped it from him in the last minute.

Radmanovic -- 8) -- Fairly quiet game from Vlad, but steady...which is what he's been showing so far on the road. He scored just 7 points on 3-6 shooting (0-2 from three) in 25 minutes. He had 2 boards, 2 assists and a 1 steal. Some nice moments and contests on D, wish we could have gotten some more defensive boards. He hit a jumper from the top of the key behind Bynum. He missed a corner three. He changed directions in transition, attacked the lane and hit a short hook over his man. He drew a foul off a quick pass by Kobe, he made one FT. He set up Bynum off a drive and dish for FTs. He took a FT miss, then bricked an attempt under the hoop. He sealed his man and swished a hook with his left. He hit Ronny under the hoop against the zone with a pass for an And-1.

Turiaf -- -- A bit of a foul-prone game from Ronny, but he was still effective in his 12 minutes. He scored 8 points on 2-4 shooting (4-5 from the line), grabbed 3 boards and blocked 1 shot. He drew a foul on a jumper and made both FTs. He missed an attack in the lane, but LO cleaned it up. He rejected Williams in transition. He worked a two-man sequence with Farmar and drew FTs, he made both. He bit on a headfake and fouled Johnson. He didn't secure a FT miss, but he got it back drawing a charge on Johnson who was attacking him off the dribble. He drew his third foul when he gave up position to his man and he had to sit midway through the second. He scored an And-1 against the zone when Vlad found him, he made the FT. He cleaned up a miss by Lamar with a putback. He kept another Lamar miss alive on the boards and it led to a Laker score.

Evans -- -- Mo scored 6 points on 3-7 shooting, had 4 boards (3 offensive and a blocked shot in 29 minutes. Kind of an average game for him. He showed some nice scoring late in this one. The highlights: He missed a layup trying to power it in. He had his shot swatted in the lane, but got a goaltend call. He hit a midrange jumper. He got blocked by Smith trying to go up strong. He curled off the weakside, took the pass and dunked as Childress was there to contest. He couldn't hold on to a long oop pass on the break from Kobe (Kobe shouldn't have thrown that anyway with 2 minutes left).

Farmar -- -- Better game from Farmar. We finally saw him attack and dish again once in this game. He looked a little more aggressive and it helped. He scored 6 points on 2-3 shooting, all threes. He had the ball poked away from behind in transition. He sank a three from the sideline coming out behind the screens. Quick attack in the offensive set and he set up Ronny for FTs. He airballed a corner three. He swished a wing three on a kickout from Kobe. He missed an entry pass to Bynum who had low position, then he threw a horrible entry to side the defender was cheating on and it was picked off.

Vujacic -- -- Some more nice minutes from Sasha off the bench. He played 8:19 and scored 4 points on 2-3 shooting. That shot has been falling to the rate where I want to see us set up some good looks for him when we can in the past few games. He swished a wing jumper on his first touch. He missed a three straight away. He deflected a pass when our D was scrambling. He swished a pull-up jumper off a Turiaf screen.

Phil -- -- Hey, we won the season series against the Hawks for the first time in a long time (11 years). The first time with Phil as coach... Phil went with a Turiaf, Evans, Kobe, Sasha, Farmar lineup at one stretch in the second to match up...Brian Cook, DNP. Hawks were too athletic for him at PF and we had no minutes at C for him... The Lakers led the Hawks 40-31 at the half. The Hawks shot 29 percent and the Lakers 39.5 percent at the half... The Hawks started killing the Lakers on the high pick and roll, eating up Farmar and Turiaf for multiple scores early in the fourth... Once we went back to the starters they went away from it... The Hawks ended up shooting 39 percent to the Lakers 43 percent... Luke was thought as a possibility for this game, but didn't play. "He did some things on the court but he's not ready to play," Phil said before the game...

Last edited by DancingBarry on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject:

I really love watching Lamar keeps his aggresiveness attacking the rim at both ends although missing so many shots.
xdragon8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject:

thanks
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject:

thanks again db...

do you think this team hits 50 wins with luke and kwame back?

the way andrew has been playing, i don't see kwame automatically getting the nod at the 5 once he's healthy...
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Nicely done, but the Lakers swept the 2 game series against the Hawks during the 99-00 season and Phil was the coach at the time.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Re: Smush

Some time after the technical...I believe he was whistled for a charge (an obvious call)...PJ pulled him from the game...and rather than just going to the bench, Parker stood on the sideline sarcastically clapping while staring at the ref...he didn't just do it for a second...he did it for a relatively good amount of time. It pissed me off. It's embarrassing behavior. The ref should've given him the second T and booted his ass out of the game.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject:

I already deleted the game off my DVR...was that after the T...or was this the same play...just after he threw his head-band..? Either way, I think he deserved to be thrown out.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject:

Here's some quotes for you, Sean2023 on the Smush incident:

Quote:
Parker’s shot was the only one he made in eight tries after back-to-back 20-point games. He was upset enough to get a technical foul that Jackson described as “a display of anger” — and nearly a second one.

“It was an emotional game for me,” Parker said. “I let a lot of things build up.”

But Jackson and Bryant both trusted Parker down the stretch.

“I gave him a second chance,” Jackson said, “because I have a kind heart.”

Quote:
There were moments of tension, such as Smush Parker's cursing at referee Eric Lewis and drawing a rare technical foul as he was pushed back toward the Lakers' bench by Bryant....

...Parker, on the other hand, glared at Lewis after being called for a charge with a minute left in the second quarter. He almost spiked his headband onto the court, thought better of it, waited for Lewis to turn his back, yelled an expletive at him and was hit with a technical.

Bryant might have saved him from an early exit by cutting off Parker's path to Lewis.

"A normal coach probably would have just sat him after that technical and display of anger," Jackson said. "But I gave him a second chance because I have a kind heart."

Quote:
Not only had he missed all six shots he had taken, Parker had been involved in an ugly incident with a minute left in the second quarter. After he was called for a charging foul, Parker had to be restrained by Bryant from going after referee Eric Lewis.

"It's an emotional game for me, I guess," Parker said. "I let a lot of things build up and that just put me over the top. I felt it was a bad call and I wasn't able to control myself."

Jackson deadpanned that he could have benched Parker the rest of the night but "gave him a second chance because I have a kind heart."
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject:

Thanks.

That was not a bad call. It was actually the passers fault for giving him the basketball at that point...there was nowhere he could go but into the defender.

It had nothing to do w/ that call...Things weren't going his way, so he looked to lash out at the refs rather than take ownership of the kind of game he was having.

If I never saw him act like that, I probably wouldn't be wishing he'd have received the second technical....it's just I have seen him do that clapping thing...phony high fives to his teammates...headband throwing...far too often. Most of the time he has no legitimate beef....he's just playing awful...and immaturely resorts to making scenes and pointing fingers.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject:

Evans was wide open, Smush just chose to ignore him.

^^ Farmar

bill_bridges
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Here's some quotes for you, Sean2023 on the Smush incident:

Quote:
Parker’s shot was the only one he made in eight tries after back-to-back 20-point games. He was upset enough to get a technical foul that Jackson described as “a display of anger” — and nearly a second one.

“It was an emotional game for me,” Parker said. “I let a lot of things build up.”

But Jackson and Bryant both trusted Parker down the stretch.

“I gave him a second chance,” Jackson said, “because I have a kind heart.”

Quote:
There were moments of tension, such as Smush Parker's cursing at referee Eric Lewis and drawing a rare technical foul as he was pushed back toward the Lakers' bench by Bryant....

...Parker, on the other hand, glared at Lewis after being called for a charge with a minute left in the second quarter. He almost spiked his headband onto the court, thought better of it, waited for Lewis to turn his back, yelled an expletive at him and was hit with a technical.

Bryant might have saved him from an early exit by cutting off Parker's path to Lewis.

"A normal coach probably would have just sat him after that technical and display of anger," Jackson said. "But I gave him a second chance because I have a kind heart."

Quote:
Not only had he missed all six shots he had taken, Parker had been involved in an ugly incident with a minute left in the second quarter. After he was called for a charging foul, Parker had to be restrained by Bryant from going after referee Eric Lewis.

"It's an emotional game for me, I guess," Parker said. "I let a lot of things build up and that just put me over the top. I felt it was a bad call and I wasn't able to control myself."

Jackson deadpanned that he could have benched Parker the rest of the night but "gave him a second chance because I have a kind heart."

What about the sequence where smush and drew had pick and roll and drew sealed TYRONE LUE under the basket and smush took a 3 and bricked it.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject:

Originally the call against Smush looked good - which is what really matters. After seeing the replay 2 times the guy slide under Smush and Smush never took a full stride so it should have been a block. There was a lot of contact and Smush was right but he has to hold those emotions in check. This call combined with his first two where at least one was a clean swipe and a bad call just set him off. Hopefully Phil and Kobe can show him how to channel his anger. He played under control, yet that single outburst would have had him out for the complete 2nd half.

It was really enjoyable to watch Lamar Odom brick nearly every shot he took and still get back and play defense and control the boards. When one of your top 2 players is off on the offensive end yet still plays defense, there are no excuses for everyone else. Smush did the same. Neither one of those guys could make a basket, but both played defense with effort all night. Smush even tried to hit the boards tonight (must have read my post in the Smush sucks thread). Oh yeah - Lamar finally moved in from the 3 point line. He went down low and got his man and others in foul trouble. I'm confident he'll hit those shots most of the time. I was just tired of watching him play Rasheed Wallace ball.

The fears I had about drafting Farmar are coming true. I like the kid and I know he is a smart, young basketball player, but he isn't really a passing point. He struggles when he's not looking for his shot first which means his effectiveness when starting is low because he is like option #4. I really want to see he and Sasha attack more when they are in, yet stay in the offense. I've noticed both players can get past their man and to the hole, but neither is looking to attack the rim and get fouled or create opportunites for others right now. Farmar is just being timid (nice work on his outside shot though) and Sasha gets in there, probes and does nada. Sasha has to realize until he starts dunking, making layups or pulling up for the mid range his probing is pretty useless because the defense doesn't see him as a threat. Once he starts being a threat that probing will lead to many kick out shots as are his intentions.

Thanks for the write up DB and thanks for a thread we can talk basketball and not emotional support.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject:

Can I add how impressed I am with Kobe Bryant? Wow - is he smaller than everybody else at his position or what? I swear these new guys are bigger, stronger, faster and still get smashed on by Kobe.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject:

thanks DB.

love the stat of the night

and lamar with 18 rebounds

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
It was really enjoyable to watch Lamar Odom brick nearly every shot he took and still get back and play defense and control the boards. When one of your top 2 players is off on the offensive end yet still plays defense, there are no excuses for everyone else

And hence why Phil saw LO as the "Pippen" of the team. He was the most valuable defender on those teams and it seems that LO has come in and stepped on that role.

Pippen would have many nights like LO had last night (he was more aggressive with his shot than LO has been) but would still give 100% on D.

Kobe at times is the same way. Infact I have noticed when Kobe's O is off his D picks up.

The rest of the team? Not so much. Maybe only Bynum and Sasha. The rest of them don't play D on a consistent basis. Effort just isn't there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject:

Nice job, DB! Wow, what a frustrating game! No one could hit anything! It was like there was a lid on both baskets the whole first half. I felt bad for LO, but was glad he stayed aggressive and kept trying. I was amazed at what a monster he was on the boards. Those one-handed rebounds he snags are beautiful to see.

I was glad to see LO in the post more tonight. We need to see more of that. That's where his strength is. He's so much more effective there than hanging around the three point line passing the ball.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
Originally the call against Smush looked good - which is what really matters. After seeing the replay 2 times the guy slide under Smush and Smush never took a full stride so it should have been a block. There was a lot of contact and Smush was right but he has to hold those emotions in check. This call combined with his first two where at least one was a clean swipe and a bad call just set him off. Hopefully Phil and Kobe can show him how to channel his anger. He played under control, yet that single outburst would have had him out for the complete 2nd half.
That's how I saw it... Kobe cam over to Smush after the play a said something to him about it.

DB, great recap!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject:

i was glad to see us win ugly, we usually find a way to lose those type of games. Smush is killing us with his pullup Js without making one single pass. Although Lamar h had 18 rebounds, he has got to finish around the rim. I know the rim was unkind but when you are 6'10 you have to be able to convert those and stop settling for long 3s. who does he think he is, Kobe?

Bynum for 3????????????

Quote:
Wow, the next one only Kobe makes...he drained a fallaway jumper from the deep corner with two men on him on the next possession and the Atlanta crowd went nuts.

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:

That was not a bad call. It was actually the passers fault for giving him the basketball at that point...there was nowhere he could go but into the defender.

exactly, Smush should have yelled at Vlad, not the refs. thats why the refs never give the benefit of the doubt because they get yelled at even when they make the right call.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:

<snipped>

It was really enjoyable to watch Lamar Odom brick nearly every shot he took and still get back and play defense and control the boards. When one of your top 2 players is off on the offensive end yet still plays defense, there are no excuses for everyone else. Smush did the same. Neither one of those guys could make a basket, but both played defense with effort all night. Smush even tried to hit the boards tonight (must have read my post in the Smush sucks thread). Oh yeah - Lamar finally moved in from the 3 point line. He went down low and got his man and others in foul trouble. I'm confident he'll hit those shots most of the time. I was just tired of watching him play Rasheed Wallace ball.

Odom showed outstanding effort on the boards.

Though I didn't enjoy all the misses, I was happy to see that Lamar kept shooting. I'd much rather have Josh Smith continue dogging him (because he remains aggressive) than to him (Smith) feel as though he can roam around.

Like you, I've also noticed that Odom has done more work in the low post over the past couple of games and it has paid dividends. James Worthy showed a short series of highlights during LTV which clearly displayed how Odom's presence on the block (especially flashing into the paint) actually opens things up for other players, like Bynum. It seems clear to me that someone got in his ear and has caused him to re-focus. The 'Sheed comparison is one that I've made as well. Phil Jackson must require Odom to attempt, at least, 3 FG's from the post per quarter.

Quote:
The fears I had about drafting Farmar are coming true. I like the kid and I know he is a smart, young basketball player, but he isn't really a passing point. He struggles when he's not looking for his shot first which means his effectiveness when starting is low because he is like option #4. I really want to see he and Sasha attack more when they are in, yet stay in the offense. I've noticed both players can get past their man and to the hole, but neither is looking to attack the rim and get fouled or create opportunites for others right now. Farmar is just being timid (nice work on his outside shot though) and Sasha gets in there, probes and does nada. Sasha has to realize until he starts dunking, making layups or pulling up for the mid range his probing is pretty useless because the defense doesn't see him as a threat. Once he starts being a threat that probing will lead to many kick out shots as are his intentions.

I don't believe that Farmar's recent play is any cause for concern. No one needs to be reminded that he's a rookie and is going through "growing pains." Without making too many excuses for the guy, you have to realize that he's played more games at this juncture than he did all of last season in college - and this is only the midway point.

I'm fairly certain that he's experiencing the same type of fatigue that most rookies go through. I predict that, once the AS break comes and he gets a chance to chill out a little bit, that you'll see him return refreshed. This lead to better decision-making and fewer mistakes. Remember, it's better for him to make these mistakes now.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject:

Poor Smushie...

Seems like he's either playing with too much fire or not enough. He has often been accused of not caring, well I would think that these outbursts show that he does care. Whether that caring is misplaced or not, that's probably the better question.

The guy has talent to be sure. He also has some fire inside him. I think he just doesn't know how to channel it. Wouldn't it be great if he could.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. I appreciate your efforts.

LO (18 boards) and Smush (6 steals): This is huge. If they can still bring other intangibles to the table despite having "off" games on offense, we will be able to grind teams out. I'm ok with a low scoring game as long as the team collectively brings it on defense. It's nice to see a team dig in against an inferior opponent for a change.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject:

I can't imagine what a rush it must be for Kobe to go into an opponent's building and hear the crowd chanting for him. The Atlantans were going nuts during his flurry.

Memo to Phil: Lighten up on Drew. I understand that you want to provide discipline, but let the teenager have some fun.

LO: Way to find other ways to help the team when your shot isn't falling.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- HAWKS - 2/5 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

Bynum -- -- Stat of the night, Andrew Bynum 0-1 from three. What the? The Lakers had just iced the game and were running down clock when Smush kicked it to him at the three line and he decided to shoot the triple from the corner with 12 seconds left on the shotclock. He missed, good looking shot, though...

He -is- learning from Kareem. As Kareem neared retirement, he made it known that he wanted to make at least one three. Several times, all of them after Chick had put the game in the refrigerator, Kareem would hoist one. About the fifth or sixth time he tried it, he finally made one.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject:

The thing that gets me about Smush is why it's so hard for him to make the simple decisions. EVERY time we have a chance to put teams away, he gets jittery and does something stupid. Now we've been good enough to overcome that the last two games, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to get away with that against the good teams.

Note to Smush: if there's any doubt whether you can make the play, PULL IT BACK OUT and settle down. I honestly think that we could go undefeated the rest of the trip, if Smush would just grasp this simple concept. I mean, our D looks good enough, now we just gotta learn to jump on teams, when we have the opportunity.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: