LAKERS -at- HAWKS - 2/5 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Smush's Identity

ProjectAB wrote:
The thing that gets me about Smush is why it's so hard for him to make the simple decisions. EVERY time we have a chance to put teams away, he gets jittery and does something stupid. Now we've been good enough to overcome that the last two games, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to get away with that against the good teams. Note to Smush: if there's any doubt whether you can make the play, PULL IT BACK OUT and settle down. I honestly think that we could go undefeated the rest of the trip, if Smush would just grasp this simple concept. I mean, our D looks good enough, now we just gotta learn to jump on teams, when we have the opportunity.
Stu has brought up many times that a team and a player needs an "identity" and/or something that they can "hang their hat" on. With Smush, one is hard pressed to find something good that is Smush's "identity." Unfortunately, his "identity" is a player that "grips the ball too hard" during crunch time." One can be tantilized/enticed/lured by Smush's talent/athletic ability, however, he does have his reputation. It's not that he's failed, it's just that he doesn't even show up. His 6 steals, 20 points, etc. have demonstrated his talent - but his play during the Suns series also provides his "Ugly Rex" (of Super Bowl fame) side.

Cook got a contract because he is not expected, nor are the Lakers expecting, him to be part of the starting lineup. Smush, however, "expects" to be in the starting lineup. Smush on the 2nd team would be a great match cuz he doesn't have the pressure of being in the starting lineup, he can just come in to change the tempo of the game (via steals, points, etc.), won't have to consistently face the JKidd/Tony Parker/Steve Nash/etc. of the world and he would be in the limelight - a sort of "Vinnie Johnson-type (microwave)" player.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
Re: Smush

Some time after the technical...I believe he was whistled for a charge (an obvious call)...PJ pulled him from the game...and rather than just going to the bench, Parker stood on the sideline sarcastically clapping while staring at the ref...he didn't just do it for a second...he did it for a relatively good amount of time. It pissed me off. It's embarrassing behavior. The ref should've given him the second T and booted his ass out of the game.

It was by no means an obvious call. It was an incorrect call, and that is why Smush was pissed. The defender slid under Smush when he was already in the air.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject:

CorkyTomjanovich wrote:
sean2023 wrote:
Re: Smush

Some time after the technical...I believe he was whistled for a charge (an obvious call)...PJ pulled him from the game...and rather than just going to the bench, Parker stood on the sideline sarcastically clapping while staring at the ref...he didn't just do it for a second...he did it for a relatively good amount of time. It pissed me off. It's embarrassing behavior. The ref should've given him the second T and booted his ass out of the game.

It was by no means an obvious call. It was an incorrect call, and that is why Smush was pissed. The defender slid under Smush when he was already in the air.

And stalking the referee changes that fact, how?

Smush has to give it up. Stop the "poor pity me" stuff. Stop letting outside factors get in the way of his on-the-court play. If they're calling you for some things that you disagree with, accept it and move onto the next play.

All too often, one thing goes against Smush, and his game goes down the gutter.

Need to get more mentally tough. Simple as that.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: