Gasol a possibility?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Gasol a possibility?

Look, it is obvious that we need one more player, or we will have to wait for Farmar and Bynum to improve. I do not see a free agent filling the role we need. Kidd is a possibility, but I think the Lakers need to find another guy who can score. Maggette for Vlad, Evans, and a number 1 is something I would do. But what about a bigger deal:

Kwame, Bynum, McKie, #1

For

GasoL

This is would give us the scoring and the defense. It is tough to give up Bynum, but to get Gasol it is easy. Would Memphis do it? I don't know. Oden would probably not go there, but Durant still could. Kwame is a contract and a good backup big, while McKie is a contract. The pick finishes the deal.

Our depth chart:

PG-Parker, Farmar
SG-Kobe, Evans, Sasha
SF- Walton, Rad
PF-Odom, Turiaf, Cook
C-Gasol, Mihm

This team can definitely win. Will we or Memphis do a deal like this? Who knows.
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject:

how many threads are there of this already?
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject:

not to be rude or anything but why exactly would memphis do this? only way i see them shipping off gasol to LA is if lamar or bynum are included.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Why would you trade Bynum for Gasol when Cook is obviously the man out?
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject:

i might just be in favor of a Drew/Gasol deal, but not with Kwame in it and i would want another young player back from Memp.

Gasol and ______for Drew/Mimh/McKie/Cook and 07 1st

maybe Warrick
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject:

and the Lakers wont trade Drew for Gasol according to EMP and Sky
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Trade forum.

Seriously people, is it that hard to find the other Gasol threads in the appropriate forum?

And seriously, is it necessary to rehash the trade scenarios posted in said threads weeks ago?
jack13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasol a possibility?

ericp6387 wrote:
Look, it is obvious that we need one more player, or we will have to wait for Farmar and Bynum to improve. I do not see a free agent filling the role we need. Kidd is a possibility, but I think the Lakers need to find another guy who can score. Maggette for Vlad, Evans, and a number 1 is something I would do. But what about a bigger deal:

Kwame, Bynum, McKie, #1

For

GasoL

This is would give us the scoring and the defense. It is tough to give up Bynum, but to get Gasol it is easy. Would Memphis do it? I don't know. Oden would probably not go there, but Durant still could. Kwame is a contract and a good backup big, while McKie is a contract. The pick finishes the deal.

Our depth chart:

PG-Parker, Farmar
SG-Kobe, Evans, Sasha
SF- Walton, Rad
PF-Odom, Turiaf, Cook
C-Gasol, Mihm

This team can definitely win. Will we or Memphis do a deal like this? Who knows.

Are you kidding me??? Kwame and Bynum for Gasol?? HELL NOOOO
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
i might just be in favor of a Drew/Gasol deal, but not with Kwame in it and i would want another young player back from Memp.

Gasol and ______for Drew/Mimh/McKie/Cook and 07 1st

maybe Warrick

Exactly!! Warrick will not be necessary with Rudy Gay, Bynum and Durant or Oden. It may seem like a lot, Gasol & Warrick for basically Bynum, Cook and a 1st rounder, but Gasol wants out, they get a 19 year old Center with loads of potential and most importantly they put themselves way under the salary cap after this season ends.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject:

At this point, I'd much rather trade Odom than Bynum. Even after today's game, Bynum has been playing at a 17 EFF level since he started(and the schedule has been loaded with road games). Odom's EFF is 20+ right now(and even before his injury, it was around 21+.) I don't believe for one sec that Bynum won't be able to raise it by 3 or 4 more points.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:
not to be rude or anything but why exactly would memphis do this? only way i see them shipping off gasol to LA is if lamar or bynum are included.

Fine, then trade Odom for Gasol. Then trade Kwame after this season for a PG. Let Gasol play the high post and Bynum play the low post.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Why would you trade Bynum for Gasol when Cook is obviously the man out?

Do you think Memphis would prefer Bynum or Cook? If you are saying that Bynum is your limit, then you do offer Cook, and when they say no, the deal is off.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject:

Here's your trade... essentially its Bynum and expiring contracts for Gasol. Probably have to throw in a future first (don't think we can include next year's). Also, the key here is to have a side deal where Mihm is bought out and eventually returns to us.

Kwame/Turiaf/Mihm
Gasol/Vlade
Odom/Luke
Kobe/Mo
Smush/Farmar/Sasha

find a way to get a dependable vet guard and that's a championship contender for several years.

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Chris Mihm
7-0 from Texas
No games yet played in 2006/07

Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple
0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 5.0 minutes

Andrew Bynum
7-0 C from St. Joseph (HS)
8.5 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.3 apg in 22.1 minutes

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois
7.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.2 apg in 16.1 minutes

Shammond Williams
6-1 PG from North Carolina
0.5 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.6 apg in 4.8 minutes
Incoming

Pau Gasol
7-0 PF from Spain (Foreign)
21.0 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 3.0 apg in 33.6 minutes
Change in team outlook: +4.8 ppg, -2.2 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

Memphis Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Pau Gasol
Incoming

Chris Mihm
7-0 from Texas

Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple

Andrew Bynum

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois

Shammond Williams
Change in team outlook: -4.8 ppg, +2.2 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to L.A. Lakers and Memphis being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. L.A. Lakers and Memphis had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID
Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario. The Trade ID for this scenario is 3661720.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
Here's your trade... essentially its Bynum and expiring contracts for Gasol. Probably have to throw in a future first (don't think we can include next year's). Also, the key here is to have a side deal where Mihm is bought out and eventually returns to us.

Kwame/Turiaf/Mihm
Gasol/Vlade
Odom/Luke
Kobe/Mo
Smush/Farmar/Sasha

find a way to get a dependable vet guard and that's a championship contender for several years.

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Chris Mihm
7-0 from Texas

Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple

Andrew Bynum

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois

Shammond Williams
Incoming

Pau Gasol
Change in team outlook: +4.8 ppg, -2.2 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

Memphis Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Pau Gasol
Incoming

Chris Mihm
7-0 from Texas

Aaron McKie
6-5 SG from Temple

Andrew Bynum

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois

Shammond Williams
Change in team outlook: -4.8 ppg, +2.2 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to L.A. Lakers and Memphis being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. L.A. Lakers and Memphis had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID
Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario. The Trade ID for this scenario is 3661720.

Billups for the MLE next year,

Kwame/Turiaf/Mihm
Gasol/Vlade
Odom/Luke
Kobe/Mo
Billups/Farmar/Sasha
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject:

sign me up!
Lamar2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers offer Bynum in any package i think Jerry West says yes on the 1st offer. The Grizz are looking for a young player with a cheap contract ,and expired contracts. We have that young player and the expired contracts. They could build around Rudy Gay ,Bynum and Kyle Lowry.

I just dont think the Lakers would do it. We would be awesome though. Teams would not be able to gang up on Lamar and Kobe because Gasol is capable of going off for 35 points. The pistons game proved you need 3 Legit scorers in this league when you start facing the elite teams. Especially quality defensive teams.
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject:

I would "NOT" trade Bynum for Gasol...

I would trade Kwame,Mihm,Mckie,Cookie and a 1st round pick, for Gasol and warrick. But would they bite on this...Iffy to no chance...But you can try...

I would probably trade Lamar for Gasol.Its real close there,I like Lamar quite a bit,but Gasol might be a better player overall.

Triple towers......

Gasol
Kwame
Bynum
Kobe
Farmar

Or

Gasol
Odom
Bynum
Kobe
Farmar

Either way we would be tough to beat. Nice to dream about it at least....
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject:

Gasol may not be better than Odom, but he may be a better fit for the Lakers. We've gone way too long in without a reliable post precense. Bynum will get there eventually, but probably not for another 3 seasons.

But I'm not sure we should trade him because he doesn't help the team now. If we can package Odom and Farmar for a reliable post player, I think the future and present can co-exist...like Marty McFlye in Back To The Future ll.

Who would want Odom in return for their starting PF?
The_Coach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject:

I'm curious. All you guys who want to trade Odom for Gasol ... in exactly what way is gasol better than Odom?

Gasol averages 21 ppg as the NUMBER ONE option on a terrible team. Lamar averages 17 as a DISTANT SECOND option. DO you honestly believe Gasol will average 21 as the second option on the Lakers???

Gasol averages 8.5 rpg with a career best of 8.9. Lamar averages 9.3 with a career best of 10.2 and has not been under 9 in four years.

Gasol averages 3.0 assists. Lamar averages 4.8 assists.

While Gasol averages a lot more blocks per game Lamar is by far the better man-to-man defender.

Even if Gasol averages exactly the same for us that he does in Memphis ... we gain ZERO point per game (pts + assists); we lose almost a rebound per game; the triangle offense suffers; and our defense becomes even worse than it is now.

So ... please explain to me how this move would help us?????

Now ... if you could get Gasol without trading Odom ... THAT would be a contender.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject:

I would not trade Odom for Gasol, it would not accomplish anything ! If we get Gasol it should be for a Kwame or Bynum package. (preferably a Kwame package) Odom+Kobe+ Gasol should be the goal!

Technically it wouldn't take a too much salary wise to get Gasol. Kwame+Mihm shuold do the job. Im sure Jerry West won't go for it though
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject:

The_Coach wrote:
I'm curious. All you guys who want to trade Odom for Gasol ... in exactly what way is gasol better than Odom?

Gasol averages 21 ppg as the NUMBER ONE option on a terrible team. Lamar averages 17 as a DISTANT SECOND option. DO you honestly believe Gasol will average 21 as the second option on the Lakers???

Gasol averages 8.5 rpg with a career best of 8.9. Lamar averages 9.3 with a career best of 10.2 and has not been under 9 in four years.

Gasol averages 3.0 assists. Lamar averages 4.8 assists.

While Gasol averages a lot more blocks per game Lamar is by far the better man-to-man defender.

Even if Gasol averages exactly the same for us that he does in Memphis ... we gain ZERO point per game (pts + assists); we lose almost a rebound per game; the triangle offense suffers; and our defense becomes even worse than it is now.

So ... please explain to me how this move would help us?????

Now ... if you could get Gasol without trading Odom ... THAT would be a contender.

Just comparing numbers isn't going to show you the impact. Gilbert Arenas scores comparable number to Kobe. Would anyone suggest that the Lakers would be better off or even the same with Arenas over Kobe? No.

The manner in which Gasol scores is where him impact would be felt. Like I said, Gasol may not be better than Odom, but he may be better for the Lakers.

Having a reliable low post presence instead of a ball handleing perimeter player as our starting PF seems to make more sense. Gasol's inside game would open things up for not only Kobe, but for Vlad, Cook and Smush. Gasol is also a great passer from the low post, something Lamar is not good at, particularly because he doesn't ever go to the low post.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

if the Lakers wanted to trade Drew for Gasol...Gasol would already be a laker...the lakers dont want to trade Drew for Gasol...according to Emp and Sky

if its me i have to think real hard for a Drew for Gasol deal..i would prob. do it..But it doesnt matter if i would do it.. the Lakers wont..I would do a Drew/Cook/2nd deal for Gasol and Warrick in a second

Kwame,Roony
Gasol,Warrick
Lamar,Luke,Vlad
Kobe,Evans
Famar,Smush

Championship team...but the Lakers think this is a championship team now in 4-show in a year or 2
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:

and i dont think Memp. want to take on salary...like a Lamar...they would perfer contracts like a Deng or Gordan or Drew and exp.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject:

Like Steve Kerr said, you have to make trades to become a championship team. You cannot count on building through the draft. The Lakers traded for Kobe, became a championship team soon after. The Heat traded for Shaq, became a championship team. The Pistons traded for Rasheed Wallace and became a championship team. The Mavericks have made several trades and are now a championship contender. The only team I can think of recently that did not make any big trades is the Spurs, please correct me because I may be wrong, but they have an unbelievable ability to find great foreign talent (Parker, Ginobili).

The Lakers have a great opportunity here to create a championship team, but it will cost them Bynum. If they want championships they should make the move.
Lamar2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject:

Trading Lamar for Gasol would put us in the same position we are in right now and that's relying way to much on 2 players. If you trade Bynum for Gasol now you have 3 Legit players that can take over a game in Kobe ,Lamar ,Gasol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: