Kidd to Lakers May Be Nets' Best Bet
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Kidd to Lakers May Be Nets' Best Bet

This is from the Net's perspective. LINK
Quote:

And with the Nets mulling over the Lakers' proposal and undoubtedly calling around the league to see if other, better ones are in the offing, it seems clear that New Jersey's front office is more or less resigned to this fate.

If it is, this offer deserves serious consideration. While the offer can take on many different forms depending on the contracts included, there's one in particular that seems the most logical. That would send Kidd and Jason Collins to the Lakers for six players — Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie, Shammond Williams, Jordan Farmar, and Brian Cook — as well as two firstround picks and cash.

Let's look at the individual pieces:

• Mihm and McKie are injured and won't play again this year. Both have expiring contracts, shaving nearly $7 million off the Nets' cap number after the season.

• Williams also has an expiring contract, though he's healthy and would probably see some backcourt minutes if he wasn't moved to a third team. That

cuts nearly $2 million more.

• Brown, a bust as the league's top overall pick in 2001, has a severely sprained ankle and may not play again this year. He has one year left on his deal before it expires, which would drop nearly $9 million from the Nets' cap number in the summer of 2008. In the meantime, he'd be a useful player in Jersey's system — he defends the high pick-and-roll well and can score in the post a little.

• Cook and especially Farmar would the bigger prizes longterm. Farmar has been one of the league's better rookie guards, and a combo of him and Marcus Williams at the point would augur well for the post-Kidd future. Cook is an outstanding long-range shooter who has become lost in the Lakers' big-man rotation, but his affordable salary is a huge plus.

• The draft picks would be helpful, but one of them wouldn't be until 2009, and both would probably be late in the first round, given the strength of the Lakers.

• Dropping Collins's deal in addition to Kidd's is important. It would remove about $6 million extra off New Jersey's cap number each of the next three years, making it much easier to rebuild the roster when Carter departs.

All told, there's a lot to like here. Some might wonder if Los Angeles would be willing to do a six-fortwo trade like this because of the impact on its depth, but when one considers the ramifications — a trio of Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, and Kidd would seem to be a title contender — it looks like a risk worth taking.

Other permutations of this deal work, too — for instance, the Nets could get Luke Walton or Ronny Turiaf instead of Williams — but the whole point for L.A. is to get Kidd without messing up their core. The deal above accomplishes it.

Is it the best one out there for the Nets? I think it probably will be. Kidd's contract is absolutely enormous — close to $20 million a year, with two-plus years left to go — and he's not going to hold off Father Time forever, so a lot of teams aren't interested in taking the risk. Additionally, few teams combine the Lakers' assets of expiring contracts, young players, and financial wherewithal that can make the deal happen.

And unlike Carter, who can be moved in a sign-and-trade deal during the summer even if New Jersey doesn't keep him, Kidd would have be traded now to seriously effect the rebuilding project. The offers won't be as strong in the summer because the contending teams won't show nearly the same urgency, and besides, the Nets can rebuild sooner by dealing now because two of the contracts expire almost immediately.

After reading this and Phil's comment before the game...I am starting to think this trade might actually go through.

I think this is one of the few trades in which both teams benefit.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject:

just as the la times wrote a press release for the lakers - this was a press release for the nets
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject:

farmar AND 2 first rounders...that's a steep price.

and to add in cook to that. i don't know.

make it smush and 2 firsts, but i don't know about them insisting on farmar and the 2 picks
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
just as the la times wrote a press release for the lakers - this was a press release for the nets

Emplay, had you heard anything about Bibby before today or was that just something being thrown out there?

Last edited by rock0100 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject:

If they let go of Mihm after the year, what are the chances that we get him back? I just hate letting him go without giving him the chance to come back and prove he's still got game in him. (Assuming he fully recovers) I feel like he deserves the chance. Quality big men with Tri experience are not easy to find.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject:

I'm excited.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
farmar AND 2 first rounders...that's a steep price.

and to add in cook to that. i don't know.

make it smush and 2 firsts, but i don't know about them insisting on farmar and the 2 picks

Cook is not a big price. But I agree if it was Smush + 2 first picks + Cook...I would do it in a heartbeat. Farmar could really learn from Kidd, and remember Kidd is Farmar's idol. Adding Farmar makes me just a bit hesitant, however, if this trade puts us over that hump (from mediocrity to elite status) I'd do it.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
If they let go of Mihm after the year, what are the chances that we get him back? I just hate letting him go without giving him the chance to come back and prove he's still got game in him. (Assuming he fully recovers) I feel like he deserves the chance. Quality big men with Tri experience are not easy to find.

Yes, I love Mihm too...but would Mihm return to the Lakers?
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject:

Kidd is a little bit too old for me.

It is clear that this trade means that Kupcake is getting desperate and realizes his past moves have not paid off.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:

It is clear that this trade means that Kupchak is getting desperate and realizes his past moves have not paid off.

But we don't really lose anyone (good) except Farmar.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject:

what's this supposed deal for bibby that is being flown around?
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:

Who would we give up for Bibby?
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject:

I think Vince Carter makes this deal so much harder to complete. If they trade Kidd first, then that makes the Nets FO vulnerable to negotiations with Carter.

If they are to seriously consider trading Kidd, then what would make sense for the Nets? Wait until they can get tentative deals for both Kidd and Carter? Maybe the Nets/Lakers deal depends on the deal involving the Nets and Magic for example?

I don't know; thoughts?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject:

everyone knows bibby is avail - i hadn't heard la is in the running and i'm skeptical - though there may be something more to it than meets the eye - I'm looking into it but not much I can get tonight.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
laker4life wrote:

It is clear that this trade means that Kupchak is getting desperate and realizes his past moves have not paid off.

How about Kwame. Last year after the playoffs, Kwame was praised for his defense.

Our defense is the problem with this team. When Kwame is in there, our defense is better.

Bynum is not ready.

Today, the Knicks were get alot of second chance points.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
everyone knows bibby is avail - i hadn't heard la is in the running and i'm skeptical - though there may be something more to it than meets the eye - I'm looking into it but not much I can get tonight.

Thanks. I just figured since you had not mentioned it, it might have been something the Lakers threw out there to make NJ think they had other options.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

thanks eric.

always appreciate all your work
junebug
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
laker4life wrote:

Collins' salary is too much. 600mil per year and 3years left wow.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Flight#24 wrote:
laker4life wrote:

How about Kwame. Last year after the playoffs, Kwame was praised for his defense.

Our defense is the problem with this team. When Kwame is in there, our defense is better.

Bynum is not ready.

Today, the Knicks were get alot of second chance points.

But we get Jason Collins. Face it Kwame has no offense...so if defense is our concern, we have Collins for that.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
jjangx27 wrote:

Who would we give up for Bibby?

Bucher did not elaborate on it, just a mention. I would assume Farmar and expiring K's. Maybe a draft pick or so. Just guessing though.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject:

junebug wrote:
Flight#24 wrote:
laker4life wrote:

jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
junebug wrote:
Flight#24 wrote:
laker4life wrote:

buss would needa sell the franchise
junebug
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
junebug wrote:
Flight#24 wrote:
laker4life wrote:

O sorry 6mil
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject:

^^ Doesn't Kwamba get paid 8 mil/year
ForumBlueFrank
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
On Tuesday, however, a source with knowledge of the situation said it was "extremely remote" that a trade would take place between the Lakers and Nets.

Kidd is a particular favorite of Nets owner Bruce Ratner and would not be traded unless he went to Ratner and asked to be moved — an unlikely scenario, said a source familiar with Kidd's thinking.

Kidd, who will be 34 next month, makes $18 million this season and $41 million over the next two seasons, a hefty investment. Another consideration: If the Lakers acquire him, they probably will have to pay luxury taxes the next two seasons. They have not paid the luxury tax since the 2004-05 season.

More than a month ago, the Nets made a round of phone calls during a losing streak to see if teams would be interested in some of their players, a source said. The Lakers, like many teams, wanted to talk about Kidd.

A source said the Lakers were unwilling to part with three players — Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum, which could also be a deal-killer.

Center Chris Mihm, who will be a free agent after the season, and center Kwame Brown, who has one season left on his contract, were believed to be two of the players mentioned in discussions. Rookie point guard Jordan Farmar has not been mentioned in talks.

Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak declined to comment about Kidd, as is his custom regarding players on other teams.

Kupchak recently said he wouldn't "tinker with the team" by adding a player that didn't know the triangle offense, but said he would continue working the phones to find ways to improve the team.

Kidd is vaguely familiar with the triangle offense, having run it under current Lakers assistant Jim Cleamons when he was with the Dallas Mavericks for the beginning of the 1996-97 season.

The trade deadline is Feb. 22. The Lakers haven't made a deadline deal since acquiring Glen Rice from Charlotte in 1999.

The Nets, for their part, are still a contender in the weak Atlantic Division and haven't officially decided if they should break up their team. Previous rounds of calls have been mainly to test the water.

Kidd is averaging 14.3 points, 8.7 assists and eight rebounds a game this season. He is averaging 36.6 minutes and shooting 43.2%, better than his career average of 40.4%.

Kidd had played every game this season before experiencing back pain that sidelined him this week.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-lakerep14feb14,1,3657713.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: