Kidd to Lakers May Be Nets' Best Bet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject:

[quote="RCS926"]
Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
RedSnapper wrote:
macwebb wrote:
Redsnapper

I love your sig!!! I was born in Omaha, NE and remember that play vividly...that was the game of the century...Johnny R. all the way...
I had the last laugh that day on my best friend from Kansas...he loved OK..GO BIG RED...

OK. back to J-Kidd...

Yeah, I'm quite the contrarian. Over at my Husker board of choice, I have a Laker Avatar...

BOOMER SOONER

Now back to topic....

If we can send Cook, instead of Farmar I would be all over that, like a (insert racial stereotype here)

From what Larry has been saying, it sounds like the stalemate regarding this trade revolves around Collins, Farmar and Cook. The Nets really want to move Collins and get Farmar as well. The Lakers want nothing to do with Collins and would like to hold on to Farmar so that he can be tutored by Kidd and take over the team in a couple of years. The mediating solution appears to be the Lakers willingness to throw Cook into the deal. At this point, it appears that throwing Cook into the mix might allow the Lakers to keep Farmar and possibly avoid taking on Collins.[/quote]

Now that is something I can deal with. I still don't think that Kidd will take us to the finals, but he is a hell of an upgrade over Smush. No way should we take Collins. Fine, give up Cook- GLADLY- Let ronny take his minutes- that guy knows how to play with passion and he knows how to play DEFENSE.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject:

That sounds like a deal i could get to like. If the Lakers keep Farmar, does that mean Smush goes?

Last edited by drew4lakers on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Dancing Madsen"]
RCS926 wrote:
Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
RedSnapper wrote:
macwebb wrote:
Redsnapper

I love your sig!!! I was born in Omaha, NE and remember that play vividly...that was the game of the century...Johnny R. all the way...
I had the last laugh that day on my best friend from Kansas...he loved OK..GO BIG RED...

OK. back to J-Kidd...

Yeah, I'm quite the contrarian. Over at my Husker board of choice, I have a Laker Avatar...

BOOMER SOONER

Now back to topic....

If we can send Cook, instead of Farmar I would be all over that, like a (insert racial stereotype here)

From what Larry has been saying, it sounds like the stalemate regarding this trade revolves around Collins, Farmar and Cook. The Nets really want to move Collins and get Farmar as well. The Lakers want nothing to do with Collins and would like to hold on to Farmar so that he can be tutored by Kidd and take over the team in a couple of years. The mediating solution appears to be the Lakers willingness to throw Cook into the deal. At this point, it appears that throwing Cook into the mix might allow the Lakers to keep Farmar and possibly avoid taking on Collins.[/quote]

Now that is something I can deal with. I still don't think that Kidd will take us to the finals, but he is a hell of an upgrade over Smush. No way should we take Collins. Fine, give up Cook- GLADLY- Let ronny take his minutes- that guy knows how to play with passion and he knows how to play DEFENSE.

I think it's safe to say that if a deal gets done, the Lakers won't get bent over backwards. They appear to be the team with the bargaining power. As Larry and emplay have mentioned, NJ is kinda stuck in between a rock and a hard place. If there were multiple teams knocking on the Nets' door for Kidd, then the Lakers would probably have to give up too much. However, as things stand, it appears the Lakers are competing with themselves. Only two other teams have been mentioned (Miami and Cleveland), and neither team seems capable of putting together a deal on par with what the Lakers have to offer.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject:

If, if, if, if, IF!!!! Mitch manages to play this successfully, both via media and on backchannels, and convinces Thorn that

-- we're giving up Cook as a last resort to make this work; and

-- to be fair and to cut us some slack, we should keep Farmar; and

-- they can still have some veteran backcourt depth, with Smush, who's a 6-4 combo guard; AND

-- we can get Kidd WITHOUT needing to take on the Collins radiaoctive contract, but can take on big man filler like Moore instead...

... I will dance a freaking jig and email Mitch with my heartfelt thanks.

Then again, it's a snowball's chance in Yuma for that to happen.

MIM
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject:

That trade is awful for the Lakers. We give up...

Kwame - our best defensive man stopper with just one year left on his contract
Cook - our best bigman shooter on a cheap contract
Farmar - our best young point guard prospect since Magic
Two number ones - ?? Why? We are mortgaging our future on a 34 year old fresh of microfracture surgery and a bad back.

The Nets shave 40 million off their cap with Kidd and possibly another 20 million with that tall stiff (don't remember his name).

The Nets are getting garbage offers from the rest of teh league and we are willing to give up that much?

If they ask for all that I say we wait till the off-season when Kidd's value lowers even more. One slump by Kidd in the second half and the Nets will be scrambling just to get an ending contract for him.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
If, if, if, if, IF!!!! Mitch manages to play this successfully, both via media and on backchannels, and convinces Thorn that

-- they can still have some veteran backcourt depth, with Smush, who's a 6-4 combo guard; AND

-- we can get Kidd WITHOUT needing to take on the Collins radiaoctive contract, but can take on big man filler like Moore instead...

MIM

I'd settle for holding on to Farmar and not taking on Collins. Getting Moore on top of that would be too good to be true. However, if the Lakers have to give up Farmar and/or take on Collins, then they need to get Moore as well
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:

Two number ones - ?? Why? We are mortgaging our future on a 34 year old fresh of microfracture surgery and a bad back.

The Nets shave 40 million off their cap with Kidd and possibly another 20 million with that tall stiff (don't remember his name).

The Nets are getting garbage offers from the rest of teh league and we are willing to give up that much?

If they ask for all that I say we wait till the off-season when Kidd's value lowers even more. One slump by Kidd in the second half and the Nets will be scrambling just to get an ending contract for him.

I think there's been a lot of speculation regarding this trade, and a lot of that speculation has the Lakers giving up too much. In reality, it appears unlikely that the Lakers will have to give up too much to get Kidd. Check out LarryCoon's posts. He breaks it down pretty clearly.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
The Dagger wrote:

I think there's been a lot of speculation regarding this trade, and a lot of that speculation has the Lakers giving up too much. In reality, it appears unlikely that the Lakers will have to give up too much to get Kidd. Check out LarryCoon's posts. He breaks it down pretty clearly.

This would be my offer considering Kidd's age, contract, and health issues.

Kwame, Mihm, Cook, McKie, and either Smush and a number one OR two number ones. We keep Farmar and they keep Collins. We are already taking on a 40 million dollar contract. They will be lucky to get that much talent from anyone else, actually they won't. Kupchak needs to tell them to take it or leave it mf and that's that.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
just as the la times wrote a press release for the lakers - this was a press release for the nets

And the Nets want the moon. I would not even do it without the picks and cash.

Odd that the LA Times says no Farmar. Feels like they are talking through the media.

Quote:
If it is, this offer deserves serious consideration. While the offer can take on many different forms depending on the contracts included, there's one in particular that seems the most logical. That would send Kidd and Jason Collins to the Lakers for six players — Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie, Shammond Williams, Jordan Farmar, and Brian Cook — as well as two firstround picks and cash.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

MIM

I'd settle for holding on to Farmar and not taking on Collins. Getting Moore on top of that would be too good to be true. However, if the Lakers have to give up Farmar and/or take on Collins, then they need to get Moore as well

The thing is, if we HAVE to give up Cook in order to keep Farmar off the block, then it looks like we'd have to get at least an insurance C to backup Bynum and Ronny (unless you want to see Vlad getting time at the 5, which he hasn't done since his rookie year, I think). if it's not Collins, it would have to be Moore, unless Mihm makes a miraculous recovery before the playoffs.

MIM
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:

The crappier everyone else's offers are, the better we look.

MIM
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
just as the la times wrote a press release for the lakers - this was a press release for the nets

It's almost like you can hear Mitch and Thorn negotiating with these releases.

Mitch: A deal is unlikely and we like what we have; just need to get healthy...but we are looking to improve.

Thorn: There would be some reason to consider moving Kidd if we got Kwame, Farmar, Cook, 2 first round picks, expiring contracts and dumped Collins.

Meanwhile Kidd uncharacteristically sits out a couple games and THE ALL STAR GAME and Moe Evans and Cook get some extended burn.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:

MIM

I hope you're right, seeing how it snowed in Yuma recently.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

Almost like?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Almost like?

Like totally
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: