Trade Scenario: Pau Gasol in...Lamar Odom out

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAxEMxONT
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Trade Scenario: Pau Gasol in...Lamar Odom out

Trade checker says it works straight up.

What are your thoughts? Like it? Hate it?

Whats additions need to be made to sweeten the deal if necessary.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Grizz wouldn't do it.
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject:

I'd love it. Jerry West wouldn't.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject:

any remote (and still unlikely) trade scenario of lamar for gasol, starts with 2 things:

1. the lakers' 1st rd pick - gone.

2. b.cardinal and probably damon stodoumire coming to la for expring deals.

that's where you start hoping.

and you'll still fall short to the bulls' offer...
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
any remote (and still unlikely) trade scenario of lamar for gasol, starts with 2 things:

According to realgm the Bulls are having second thoughts about trading their core for Gasol; so Lamar could be the best they can have : remember that you won't get equal value for a disgruntled player who wants out.

By the way, Lamar could be good passing the ball to all those young guys in a running system...

So, lamar and a pick ( without taking back contracts) could get it done IMHO.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject:

i don't think the grizzlies are looking for the best player for gasol.

theyr'e looking to get young talent and dump salary to add to the cap space they have coming.

so the offer i suggested is the least we need to do to have a shot imo.

and my prediction is that gasol will be a bull. its too perfect for both teams not to happen. all those reports are just part of the negotiations imo. the bulls know they have no shot at that type of offensive big man in the forseeable future, and they'll act on it.

(maybe we can get in and grab noccioni as part of this trade ?
he's rumored to be in it, but the grizzlies don't really need him and he's up for a new contract. so maybe they'll take farmar, mihm, mckie for noccioni and damon ? noccioni is perfect for our team).
LakersRBack21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject:

IVe been screaming for this deal. LOve Gasol. People like to say this and that about him . But hes not soft. He blocks shots well, grabs ton of boards and has some fire . Hes also a very good passer which i think Phil would love in the triangle. Hes also alot younger than Kidd. Id give up Kwame Vlad and our #1
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject:

LakersRBack21 wrote:
IVe been screaming for this deal. LOve Gasol. People like to say this and that about him . But hes not soft. He blocks shots well, grabs ton of boards and has some fire . Hes also a very good passer which i think Phil would love in the triangle. Hes also alot younger than Kidd. Id give up Kwame Vlad and our #1

Yeah, 7-1 and gets less boards than LO. Blocking shots doesn't make you a good defender, any more than steals do. You are right about one thing, he's not soft. he's liquid.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject:

As versatile and as much as Odom might be a compliment to Kobe...I think Gasol would put the Lakes over the top as well.

It's unlikely Jerry West would take an Odom for Gasol straight up, however if the Lakers were willing to take on a few bad contracts, things may work.

I would consider doing this:

Odom
Mihm (expiring)
McKie (expiring)
Future 1st rd pick

for

Gasol
Brian Cardinal
2nd rd pick

I think Brian Cardinal with his energy might just work out well in the triangle. The guy has a decent 15 ft jumper and is all hustle.

Gasol playing alongside Kwame & Bynum would give us a formidable weakside shotblocker out there. As great a rebounder as Lamar was, he was not a good shot blocker.

Plus, at times if the Lakers wanted to go small...Gasol can easily slide over to play center.

PF - Gasol/Ronny/Cook/Cardinal
F - Luke/Radmonovic
C - Brown/Bynum
G - Kobe/Evans/Sasha
PG - Smush/Farmar/Shammond

You lose a versatile ball handler in Odom but you gain a TRUE low post presence and shot blocker.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Lamar2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject:

Id trade Bynum instead. If you want the better team for the next 3 to 4 years. Lamar ,Kobe ,Gasol is better then Bynum ,Gasol ,Kobe.

Right now id rather Turiaf get more minutes then Bynum.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject:

Gasol!!!
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:

I agree with your first two premises.

As for anything we can put together falling short of the Bulls' offer...

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you believe any of the reports coming out of Chicago, the Bulls are balking at giving up either Deng or Gordon (as would I if I were in their position). I also don't believe that they would give up Hinrich either.

By extrapolation, that leaves Chicago offering a combo of PJ Brown and Nocioni or PJ Brown, Malik Allen, and Selfolosha.

Now, you can argue about whether or not the above listed combos are more vaulable than what the Lakers can offer. But I think the Bulls might be able to have their cake and eat it too.

The consensus is that the Bulls are in the market for low post scoring and Pau Gasol can definitely help them there. But it's no secret that the Bulls would also like to be in the running for any potential shot at acquiring KG. But in order to do this, they would definitely need the likes of one or more of Deng, Gordon, or Hinrich to get something done.

If I'm Paxson, I'd contact the Sacramento Kings and inquire about SAR. He is still a very potent low-post scorer. Paxson should offer up a package of Selfolosha (young talent) and Mike Sweetney (expiring contract) for SAR who still has 4 years left on his deal (though the actual salary is reasonable).

I'm thinking that Sac would bite on this.

Chicago would get its low-post scorer and keep its core for continued development or KG potential.

If it came to that, our deal would obviously be viewed in a better light (although Portland could come through with a package centered around Magloire and Juan Dixon).

But I think that it's imperative that we get involved in the discussion for Gasol.

ETA: Yes, I think that Portland would try to move Randolph.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:

i know the reports, but i'm 100% sure that gasol would be a bull.
it will defenetly include the ny pick, and probably include gordon too.
it's still a steal for the bulls, and they know it, but playing hardball never hurt anyone who thought they had the best offer to give if necessary...

untill the deadline passes, i'll remain convinced that gasol is going to chicago unless the lakers step in and offer bynum, or the celtics are willing to do ratliff, jefferson, and their unprotected 1st.

about s.a.r. - as odd as it may sound - the kings need his size. they have none when you look past b.miller - which isnt' exactly a beast...
bulls wont' give up sefolosha either. he will be a good one and they know it. sadly - shareef is not the player he was. maybe exp. deals (sweets and allen) + the ny pick, but i dont' see the bulls giving that up for what shareef has shown this season.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:

I like this better.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=539~549~617~934~996~558&teams=29~29~29~29~13~13

But seriously, I don't think West will trade Gasol for Odom or a package deal unless his boss really wants him to have a fire-sale or something.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: