The REAL ISSUE... and solution

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aastyle87
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: The REAL ISSUE... and solution

I see all these different threads about what our main problem is. well our main problem is that we have many issues.
1) Phil's rotations, 2) Lamar's inability to shoot from perimeter or finish on inside, 3) defense (guard penetration), 4) too many 3's, 5) Kobe not being KOBE...watever
(not in any specific order)

which leads to my suggestion:

I know this will never happen, but I would really consider Pau Gasol. we are aiming for BYNUM to be 20, 10, 3...well Gasol is alreayd that kind of player. he can post up and he may even be a better perimeter shooter than ODOM.

we also need a perimeter shooter who can spread the floor and be consistent (this is also in response to kobe getting stripped b/c everyone collapses on him and when 2 or 3 players are swinging at the ball one is bound to get it). odom does not provide us that, plus whenever he drives he either misses the layup or gets a charge.

i know this will never happen, but:

Bynum and Odom for Gasol and Mike Miller...we can throw in some more if necessary or whatever, but that should be the basic framework.

Gasol is already at the place where we want Bynum to be in a few years, why not just have that kind of player now, especially when he can shoot and play defense and has good post moves...Mike Miller can shoot lights out, plus hes agressive and will play D...most of all I think these 2 guys have the will to win unlike Odom and Bynum and especially Smush who dont seem to show any determination and look like they quit.

Think of a lineup of: Kwame, Gasol, Luke, Kobe, and Farmar (or smush)
very good defensively and we ahve miller off the bench or have the option to go small or real big and be flexible.

I just had to get my piece in...b/c somethin has to be done. I just dont see this team the way it is constructed right now having a chance unless kobe takes them on his back.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

We could trade for Sucky Crapkins too while we're at it.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

More than another big, we need better guardplay besides KB24. Doesn't have to be Kidd. Just someone who can handle, score br driving or shooting and gives even a bit of effort on defense...
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: The REAL ISSUE... and solution

aastyle87 wrote:
<snip>
I know this will never happen, but I would really consider Pau Gasol. we are aiming for BYNUM to be 20, 10, 3...well Gasol is alreayd that kind of player. he can post up and he may even be a better perimeter shooter than ODOM.

<snip>

Bynum and Odom for Gasol and Mike Miller...we can throw in some more if necessary or whatever, but that should be the basic framework.

He's that kind of player on a team that he's OPTION ONE! Who knows how much his game would drop off on a team with a Kobe Bryant?

Mike Miller? A LAKER?
jch31480
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject:

uh.. why don't all of you just forget about getting Gasol, Kidd here.. it's impossible unless Lakers give up Bynum... and i just don't see Buss, Kupchak making such a move...

there are 3 things Lakers need desperate work on - defense, rebounding, FT shooting

until they drastically improve on those three things, Lakers will continue to lose games.

and as for things that would be nice to see change are:

1. kobe, learn to protect the ball better, a lot better. Stop trying to make the flashy pass, dribble. And definitely protect the ball better when driving to the hoop.

2. lamar, whatever it is that you were doing for the first 20-25 games before you got injured, please go back to it. Sure a knee injury is a b!tch to come back from, but i haven't seen him taking it hard to the hoop instead settling for outside shot, when he has never been a good shooter.

3. bynum, young or not, you can't say he is not capable of grabbing at least 12 boards a night. Seems to me, he likes to take plays off, he doesn't aggressively attack the board like a big man should, and he is somewhat weak in the post.

4. smush, seriously this guy needs to stop reaching, and start playing D with his feet.. but then again, if he hasn't done it for the pass 2 years, it's not likely he will start doing it now... and is he one of the most inconsistent shooter or what? some nights he can hit outside shot like practice, but other nights, he miss shots and can't throw anything in..

5. bench, what happen to the bench giving lakers some energy.. lately, all i've seen is when kobe goes out, this team digs themselves into a hole that they can't get out even when kobe comes back in... there are no consistency with any of the bench players at all.. you never know what you will get from cook, rad, farmer, sasha, evans, and turiaf..
aastyle87
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject:

throw up if you want but:

Mike Miller: PPG 17.9 RPG 5.70 APG 4.4 EFF +18.43 FG% .458 3PT% .420

Odom: PPG 16.6 RPG 9.40 APG 4.5 EFF +19.91 FG% .448 3PT% .328

Gasol: PPG 20.2 RPG 9.20 APG 3.1 EFF +23.68 FG% .531 BPG 2.3

You cant compare Bynum tho right now, b/c he has not peaked yet...you have to consider his potential tho.

I am not trying to say that this is a trade we must make, im just trying to see what people think about this and if people really think that we can win a championship with this core still entact. b/c if not, we better make a move soon b/c Kobe wont be in his prime forever (maybe he will, hes kobe)
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Rather have Gay than Miller
AV
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:

A few threads on this...but I would trade Bynum for Pau, and based on the reported players of interest it doesn't include Odom....Pau can play center in this league...just not the traditional Shaq type center...I think Pau, Odom, and Walton front court is really strong, PG would still be up and down, but still as center is supposedly the easiest to pick up on in the triangle I think Pau's adjustment would be better than at another position, and europeans b-ball really emphasizes the pass and mid range jump shot...both useful things
The_Coach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Besides the fact that this has been discussed ad naseum (which is why someone is already upchucking) ...

Exactly WHERE do you plan on playing Miller? He is NOT the defender you make him out to be and the only two positions he can possible play are SG or SF. SO who loses playing time? Kobe or Walton ... keeping in mind that minus Walton our offensive execution has really suffered since he went down - we've only hit 100 4 out of 12 games since he was injured compared to 10 out of 12 before. Or is your plan to use Miller like we currently use Evans? In which you are WAY overpaying both in talent given up AND $$ ... $27 million over the next three years!!

As much as I love Bynum's upside, I would have no problem trading him and another piece or two to land Gasol. A lineup of Smush/Farmar, Kobe, Gasol, Odom and Walton would be an offensive jugernaut ... a bit of a defensive nightmare but they would score a ton. And we'd still being able to put Kwame in for defense and to go big. But giving up Lamar AND Bynum for Gasol and an out-of-place Miller ... no thanks!

Oh ... one other thing. If you are upset with Lamar's inconsistency you are going to LOVE Miller. I watched him get absolutely killed against Chicago and Denver last month and then saw him light up Dallas ... of course good old Devean was guarding him part of that game. You never know which Miller-time you're getting. (no I am NOT a Memphis fan. I tuned the games in to see Gasol ... just in case he DID become a Laker).
Lamar2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject:

If Kwame is healthy that is actually a very good balanced team that would execute better in the triangle.

C Kwame
PF Gasol
SF Luke
G Mike Miller
G Kobe

OR

C Kwame
PF Gasol
SF Mike Miller
G Kobe
G Farmar or Sasha

Bench Smush and have Luke Walton as the 6th man to lead the 2nd unit.

I would prefer to trade Bynum and expires and keep Lamar and go with the lineup Coach was talking about above.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Rather have Gay than Miller

I'd rather have Miller, we don't need more youth.
Kazaam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Uhh.... Mike Miller might look like a WNBA player. But if you havent noticed, he can ball. And he kills the Lakers everytime we play the Grizz. Fool can shoot the lights out, and if Im not mistaken, this roster is seriously lacking a confident, outside shooter. I'd take Miller.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The REAL ISSUE... and solution

aastyle87 wrote:
I see all these different threads about what our main problem is. well our main problem is that we have many issues.
1) Phil's rotations, 2) Lamar's inability to shoot from perimeter or finish on inside, 3) defense (guard penetration), 4) too many 3's, 5) Kobe not being KOBE...watever
(not in any specific order)

which leads to my suggestion:

we also need a perimeter shooter who can spread the floor and be consistent (this is also in response to kobe getting stripped b/c everyone collapses on him and when 2 or 3 players are swinging at the ball one is bound to get it). odom does not provide us that, plus whenever he drives he either misses the layup or gets a charge.

i know this will never happen, but:

Gasol is already at the place where we want Bynum to be in a few years, why not just have that kind of player now, especially when he can shoot and play defense and has good post moves...Mike Miller can shoot lights out, plus hes agressive and will play D...most of all I think these 2 guys have the will to win unlike Odom and Bynum and especially Smush who dont seem to show any determination and look like they quit.

Think of a lineup of: Kwame, Gasol, Luke, Kobe, and Farmar (or smush)
very good defensively and we ahve miller off the bench or have the option to go small or real big and be flexible.

I just had to get my piece in...b/c somethin has to be done. I just dont see this team the way it is constructed right now having a chance unless kobe takes them on his back.

Um, Gasol is widely noted as a bad defensive player. He can shoot, but he can't play D. Neither can Odom of course, but that's another story. Bynum just needs a little pep talk from Kobe and Cap to get him back in shape. Maybe a nice run through in the rooks-sophs game will light a fire under himi. Kwame's defense dipped a bit this year. At best he'd only be useful against teams with an elite PF because of his lack of shotblocking skills.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: