Thorn's email to season-ticket holders
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Holic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Thorn's email to season-ticket holders

Please merge this if neccesary

Quote:
With NBA All-Star Weekend upon us, I would like to give you my thoughts on the state of the team and the outlook for the rest of the season and beyond. Our season ticket holders are part of the Nets family and it is important to us to keep you informed.

First, from our perspective we are disappointed in our record so far this season. While we have been hurt by injuries, particularly those to Nenad Krstic and Richard Jefferson, our second and third leading scorers respectively, we have been able to pur ourselves in a position to win almost every night only to lose a number of close contests. Our coaches and players continue to work diligently to improve our defensive and offensive execution in late game situations so many of these defeats can be turned into victories.

Secondly, there has been a lot of speculation regarding potential player transactions prior to the February 22nd trading deadline. Our position on this issue has always been and will continue to be that we are always looking to improve the team either short term or long term, and if something presents itself that will enable us to do so, then we will pursue it.

Finally, there have been a number of positive things that have happened this year and give us optimism for the remainder of the season. One of our goals during the off-season was to improve our bench play and in that we have succeeded. Newcomers Marcus Williams, Eddie House, Josh Boone, Hassan Adams and Mikki Moore have played solidly with the latter having moved into the starting lineup and performed admirably over the past month. With Richard Jefferson expected to return to the lineup in March, we feel confident that we will stay in the playoff hunt for the duration of the season.

Hopefully, I've been able to answer some of your questions regarding the state of the team. I thank you for your support and I'm looking for a better third of the season.

Sincerely,

Rod Thorn
President
Nets Basketball

LINK
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Great.

I'm more confused now.

---George Carlin
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Just read this on CL a couple of minutes ago. Hopefully Thorn will finally fold and give us Kidd for some expiring K's and a 1st round pick.
Laker_Holic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Secondly, there has been a lot of speculation regarding potential player transactions prior to the February 22nd trading deadline. Our position on this issue has always been and will continue to be that we are always looking to improve the team either short term or long term, and if something presents itself that will enable us to do so, then we will pursue it.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject:

That letter says absolutely nothing.

Seriously.
Laker_Holic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
That letter says absolutely nothing.

Seriously.

He talks about finding deals that will benefit the organization short term or long term. and does not mention VC or Kidd.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject:

I just find it odd, the GM will send out a letter like to its fans. Its almost as if their preparing them for something thats gonna happen. wink*wink.
Laker_Holic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
I just find it odd, the GM will send out a letter like to its fans. Its almost as if their preparing them for something thats gonna happen. wink*wink.

Heck, yes and the fact he does not mention the 2 major players tells me he wants to hint to the fans that there gonna do a big trade.
4 Pointer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Or that he feels the need to respond and let people interpret it as they may because maybe he has received a lot of questions or comments regarding the state of the organization, as he states. But in the end, he does not reveal anything.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Holic wrote:
Quote:

Any GM in the NBA could have signed his name under this part of the letter. Does not mean anything
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Vague.

What it says to me is, we want to try and save the season, but we might also trade our two best players. It's an insurance policy for all possible outcomes.

Jake Speed, 1986
Laker_Holic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Thorn is warning the fans to pepare themselfs without Kidd and VC. there fans will probably get the message.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject:

it is very vague, but the timing is interesting. I'm not sure that many GMs would send this out to the season ticket holders, if they were in their situation. Even if we are making this out to be more than what it is, I give props to Rod for keeping even this bit of contact with the fans. Do you think Mitch would do the same thing midseason?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject:

What's troubling is the part where he says "We have a strong nucleus with players such as Jason Kidd and Vince Carter..."

Oh, wait. My bad. He didn't include them? Must have been an oversight.

If not, well, hey, he can always dust off his comments from the Kenyon Martin trade if he decides to make a move:

"What would you say to the fans?
What I would say is stick with us and see what we do. We definitely expect to remain competitive. In any business that you are in, you are faced with very tough decisions from time to time. This was a monumental decision for this franchise, no doubt about it.

When you lose this kind of piece, unless we are very fortunate we are not going to be a championship contender but we fully expect to be a playoff contender. I’m not going to insult anybody’s intelligence by saying we are going to be a championship contender without [INSERT NAME HERE].

Understanding that in the short term we are obviously not going to be as good as we would be with [INSERT NAME HERE]. Now we are going to be in a much better financial position to give us the opportunity to do things to make our team better. "
Laker_Holic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject:

DB you sumed everything up
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject:

Sounds like hes preparing the fans for the trade.

Something like; "Dont worry fans, even though were trading our top players, were still trying to improve this team"
SladeRider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject:

Laker_Holic wrote:
Thorn is warning the fans to pepare themselfs without Kidd and VC. there fans will probably get the message.

Some of them will be in denial no matter what happens, some Nets fans have shown that they believe that money is no objection to them but it has to be if they are dealing with the Lakers for expiring contracts.
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject:

Laker_Holic wrote:

that's how I see it....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject:

Overview: Teams are in different categories, top contenders(#1 seed), contenders(top 4 seed), Playoff teams(#5-7 seed), borderline Playoff teams(#8-10), building teams(lottery teams on the way up), and teams blowing it up(lottery teams on the way down). A top contender like Dallas largely wants to stay with what they have to keep their chemistry intact. A contender might make a minor trade to fill a hole. A Playoff team that is striving to become a contender is looking for a final big piece. The Nuggets got their big trade for AI. The Lakers may have felt like a contender at one point, but now they are looking for one key player to get them over the top. The Clippers who are borderline want to look for upgrades. The T-Wolves are thinking about blowing it up. At the bottom, Boston is praying for Oden.

The Nets Situation: The Nets are close to being in the Playoff picture, but they have been frustrated by injuries. They need immediate help to get them into the Playoffs.

Interpretation of the Message:Thorn is leaving the door open for trades. He maintains that the Nets are continuing to try to make the Playoffs, so the type of trade that might favor is obtaining players who can immediately contribute.

Possible Trade: Since Kristic is out, it would help to have a center like Kwame. If they picked up a guard, Smush Parker might look pretty good, because he has been the starter for the Lakers for the better part of two seasons. Since there are many injuries, it would help to get someone flexible to fill the gap. Vlad makes sense. He can fill roles in both forward positions. All these Lakers are fairly young, so they also have some upside. McKie and Shammond can be used to balance trades. The Nets could fill multiple holes.

The Lakers side: The Lakers can afford to give up depth in order to make a run at a Championship in the next couple of seasons. Of course in a couple of seasons Bynum and Farmar should develop into players who can allow the Lakers to continue as a top contender. Meanwhile, Jason Kidd would add a lot of Playoff experience to blend with the Lakers' youth. When he retires, the Lakers will clear salary to sign Bynum to a big contract. Kidd can help make good use of Kobe's prime.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject:

good post angel. It really can't hurt them to pickup a big that can defend in the post, because they'll need one next year when Kristic is healthy anyway. To deal Kidd wouldn't be conceding the playoff race, you let Williams get PT and can still field a nice lineup with the right VC trade.

Another thing to consider is that it is unique for the Lakers to be the frontrunner for a player like Kidd. I think a lot of us are holding out for bigger fish in the offseason, but as history has shown you can't just throw what you think is a nice package and expect someone to take it. Getting Kidd now isn't conceding KG, Gasol, ect...because chances are the Lakers won't be able to get into thoes sweepstakes.

About the playoffs though, it kinda puts into perspective how things are when they are fighting with the Knicks to be knocking on the door, and Miami can do nothing but get healthy. If you blow the thing up, you better get something solid for VC because it is going to be hard having Jefferson as your 1st option.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
While we have been hurt by injuries, particularly those to Nenad Krstic and Richard Jefferson, our second and third leading scorers respectively, we have been able to pur ourselves in a position to win almost every night only to lose a number of close contests.

Maybe I am nitpicking, but wouldn't a letter from Rod Thorn, President of the NJ Nets organization, have spell check or have someone read over his letter and make sure that if it got out, it wouldn't somehow embarrass the team?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject:

Good to see Mr. Thorn lets the fans know that he prefers to keep Kidd and Carter and see how things play out the rest of the way.

Oh. He didn't say that.

Good to see Mr. Thorn lets the fans know that they'll trade the two guys rumored to be traded most only if a worthwhile package comes along.

Oh. He didn't say that.

Here's my overall take on the letter without the condescending stuff:

A) Thorn mentions his teams' 2 injured, very talented, young players - Nenad and Jefferson B) talks about being willing to do what it takes to win - be it for the now or later through Cap relief, C) talks up the talent on the bench that is more likely to help in the future - making note that Moore has even started and played well, D) mentions RJ getting back healthy for a playoff run, and most importantly, E) not one time does he mention a possible VC or Kidd trade - not even the mentioning of "exploring possibilities".

I'd say this a LOT closer to happening than the papers, excluding Vecsey, would have us to believe.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject:

Laker_Holic wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

Heck, yes and the fact he does not mention the 2 major players tells me he wants to hint to the fans that there gonna do a big trade.

Nor does he mention Collins. Of course, Vescey states in today's NY Post that the Warriors may get Kidd--odd when people say he reported last night on NBAtv that he expects that the Lakers will. But that's Vescey: throw enough out there and he should be able to claim he was right on something (including hedging his bets by always reminding that nothing at all may happen).
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject:

I suspect Kidd to Golden State is no different than the Bibby to LA echoes.

The two teams trying to force the other into adding a piece that the other doesn't want to give.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
I suspect Kidd to Golden State is no different than the Bibby to LA echoes.

The two teams trying to force the other into adding a piece that the other doesn't want to give.

I suspect you're right, but you'd think Vescey could be consistent within a 24 hour span: he probably had the article already written when he was on NBAtv, for crying out loud.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: