LAKERS -at- JAZZ - 2/26 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject:

I thought Kobe set the tone by diving to the floor for those two loose balls. When your offensive leader is willing to do that it would behoove the rest of them to hustle too. Loved Lamar in this game. Sometimes I forget he's out there but I was really happy he was on my team last night. Fish looks good on Utah. How about Giricek's defense on Kobe? He was really trying to pester him into losing his composure. Thought Kobe handled that really well.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe got to see how D-Wade lives in this one, getting to the line 24 times and making 21.

I figure the league has a certain number of free throws to give out each night, and since Wade is now out, they can finally give them out to other players, like Kobe.

What's the deal with Farmar? Any chance he gets placed on IR and sent down to the D-Fenders for continued training, or are they keeping him with the Lakers, just inactive?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject:

Another telling stat: Utah had 0 blocks. With Andrei Kirilenko, you'd think they'd get a lot of blocks, but he has been in Jerry Sloan's dog house for a while, it would seem to this non-Jazz fan. Has he been sucking lately?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ryuvienco
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap DB. Didn't get to watch the game. I wanted to see highlights on sportscenter, but never caught it. I'm glad they put this little streak together, it will do wonders for their confidence.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
It appears that Phil did a "Pat Riley" with Shammond and McKie (allowing the older players take it easy before the All-Star Break while using the games after the break to get ready for the playoffs) and it is presently working - especially on the defensive side of the ball which allows Bynum a decent shot at staying in the game (instead of constantly having to leave his man to defend the driver?!/!?!)

With Shammond and Williams getting more and more minutes, the defensive lapses of Smush are limited by his playing time with Sasha/Jordan learning on the bench.

Agreed- nice to see Shammond get some run- we have too much youth on the team, we need a vet presence out there. He and McKie have hardly played all season, their legs should be FRESH! And Smush is such a poor defender, there is no way that Shammond could not stay in front of his man more consistently. Shammond is fast and he moves his feet well.

It is just nice to see our LLE on the court.

Farmar will be back- he needs a rest it seems. I am sure we have not seen the last of him for this season. I would rather see Sammond & Farmar out there than Smush & Shammond.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Another telling stat: Utah had 0 blocks. With Andrei Kirilenko, you'd think they'd get a lot of blocks, but he has been in Jerry Sloan's dog house for a while, it would seem to this non-Jazz fan. Has he been sucking lately?

Yes- read some Jazz boards, they don't like AK any longer, he has been dogging it.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- JAZZ - 2/26 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

<snipped>

Lamar -- -- Mr. Near Triple Double, back again. It's been a while since I've been able to say that. Huge game from LO. Defensively, he started out on Okur and mostly covered him, except for some stints on AK when we needed him there. Lamar challenged Okur in the post and challenged him on the perimeter, never giving him easy looks. He held the All Star to 3-19 shooting and just 9 points...one wonders if there wasn't a little statement being made there. Lamar was fairly aggressive throughout. He scored 19 points on 7-13 shooting, pulled down 14 boards and dished 9 assists with just 1 turnover in 39 minutes. He posted up Boozer and hit a jumphook over him. He missed a pull-up jumper. He attacked the baseline and fed Bynum for a layup. He followed Mo's breakout, missed, got it back and put it over the front of the rim. He posted up Milsap, attacked in the paint and scored easily over him. He isolated at the top of the key, attacked to his left, cut back to his right and scored a layup with his off hand. He hit Cook with the extra pass for a three. He had 8 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists in the first half. He hit a step-back 17-footer over Boozer. He drained a three from the top of the key. He missed a layup trying to take it coast to coast, boat it was cleaned up by Turiaf. He missed a three at the third-quarter buzzer. He attacked and hit Ronny who drew FTs. He attacked and kicked to Smush for a three. He sank a baseline jumper with 3:50 left. Out of a timeout on the next possession, he iso'd against Boozer, drew the D and kicked to Evans for a three. Aggressive on the next possession, he drew a foul on a jumper and made both FTs. He hit a couple of late FTs when the game was iced.

Great game by Lamar. Now that's what I call a "huge positive impact" for the team. Scoring, rebounding, and great defense. Hopefully, he can continue with the same aggressive play.

I hope this also means that he's as healthy as he can be at this juncture of the season.

Quote:
Smush -- -- Big offensive game from Smush, including hitting a couple of clutch threes. Unfortunately, his D consisted of either not challenging jumpers or fouling DFish when he did challenge to give up a crunch-time four-point play. Thankfully, we weathered that. Smush was on fire from the perimeter, sinking 6-8 from beyond the arc and 9-13 shots overall for 24 points in 35 minutes. He hit a deep baseline jumper from a tough angle. He sank a three off a drive and kick from Kobe. He sank another long three over his man. He pulled up on the break and swished a jumper. They set up a shot for Smush next time down, he bounced out from under the hoop at the wing and swished a quick catch-and-shoot three. He had 13 points in the first quarter on 5-5 shooting. After resting 6 minutes, he came back in and hit a three from the corner on a kickout by Kobe. He missed a three over the zone. He dribbled the ball off his feet, OC on the break. He had 16 points in the first half on 6-7 shooting. He missed a three. He missed a mid-range jumper. He hit a runner off the glass. He picked up a couple of fouls and had to sit with four with more than 4 minutes left in the third. He drained a wing three on a kickout from Kobe midway through the fourth. He sank another catch-and-shoot three off a kickout from Lamar with 4:24 left. Stupid foul on DFish, giving up a four-point play in the last minute. Very efficient game from Smush, getting those 24 points on just 13 shots.

Very nice game from Smush (although I did want to strangle him for giving up that 4-pt play to Fish). I really believe that his strong scoring performance freed up Lamar to focus on the rebounding and defense.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject:

It was great to see LO put together a good effort on both ends of the floor. I’m particularly glad that he was able to put a clamp on Okur. Okur is basically Dirk-lite, and although I don’t expect LO to be able to shut down Dirk, having him on the floor against Dallas is going to be huge for us. LO will give Dirk trouble on both ends of the floor as well as help out on the boards.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:

and with that.....we're back. all is right once again, for the time being.

GREAT WIN!!!!
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- JAZZ - 2/26 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Lamar -- -- Mr. Near Triple Double, back again.

I was thinking we could just call him MNTD.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Great win. GREAT GREAT win.

Kobe, Lamar and Smush (on offense) deserve huge props.

Could this be the start of good things to come? I hope so.

My only concern is that 3 days off may cool the momentum from this game. But they do need their rest so oh well i guess...
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Kobe had that Iverson sleeve
Pappy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious who Phil will place on the playoff roster assuming we make the playoffs (looks probable) and assuming everyone is healthy?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Dancing Madsen wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
It appears that Phil did a "Pat Riley" with Shammond and McKie (allowing the older players take it easy before the All-Star Break while using the games after the break to get ready for the playoffs) and it is presently working - especially on the defensive side of the ball which allows Bynum a decent shot at staying in the game (instead of constantly having to leave his man to defend the driver?!/!?!) With Shammond and Williams getting more and more minutes, the defensive lapses of Smush are limited by his playing time with Sasha/Jordan learning on the bench. .
Agreed- nice to see Shammond get some run- we have too much youth on the team, we need a vet presence out there. He and McKie have hardly played all season, their legs should be FRESH! And Smush is such a poor defender, there is no way that Shammond could not stay in front of his man more consistently. Shammond is fast and he moves his feet well. It is just nice to see our LLE on the court. Farmar will be back- he needs a rest it seems. I am sure we have not seen the last of him for this season. I would rather see Sammond & Farmar out there than Smush & Shammond.
It will be interesting to see who is on the playoff roster?!?! Williams/McKie provides what Phil needs first - DEFENSE. It appears that Vlad (or Cook), Jordan & Mihm will be left off.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Great play from all the Lakers . Nice to see during a time of crisis injuries, the lakers step up. I mean at least they have there two generals running the court still injury free . They must maintain there defense intensity. Sacramento is going to play hard so we must keep it up. R.i.p Shaun Livingston.

IS VON WAFER SERIOUSLY A CLIPPER NOW???? wOW I KNOW AIN'T TRYING TO BRING THE RUCKUS TO KOBE?????A LITTLE SIDESHOW WHCIH SEEMS TO INTERST ME?HOW BOUT YOU GUYS?
Laker_Holic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Pappy wrote:
I'm curious who Phil will place on the playoff roster assuming we make the playoffs (looks probable) and assuming everyone is healthy?

Is this even a question you need to ask?
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
Are McKie and Williams really better in D than Vujacic?

IMO, absolutely. I've noticed how much more the Lakers are talking defensively since Williams and McKie were inserted into the lineup. And for an old man, McKie has surprised me with how well he can still move his feet.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject:

The league changed the rules regarding the playoff roster. It's now the same as the regular season.

"Playoff roster size will be expanded from 13 to 15 players, with each team designating 12 active players and up to three inactive players prior to each game."
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:

what an enjoyable 5 hours of basketball. I wasnt able to watch the Warriors game on Sunday so I recorded it and watched it and the Utah game back-2-back on Monday night. It was hard not going online for a day and a half but well worth it. Im just glad the 6 game skid is behind us. Lets make it 4 in a row on Friday! GO LAKERS!
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

He is averaging a career low in points per game this year. This is due to Deron Williams, Boozer and Okur having a really good year. Basically, he is a 4th option now. In his all-star year (2004) he was the number 1 option. Also he has been hampered with injuries the past 3 seasons too. His first three years in the league he only missed a total of 6 games.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: