Come on and get a damn stable server!!!!!!

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Coach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Come on and get a damn stable server!!!!!!

Enough said. I run a corporate website and we NEVER have the constant problems that LG has. If you don't know what you are doing EMAIL ME!!!!
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Instead of (bleep) and moaning, throw a few bucks to the folks who host this site for nothing and ask for nothing in return.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject:

All it takes is money, how much you got coach?
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject:

put your money where your mouth is.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Damn.

We just broke a 7-game losing streak behind another great performance by Kobe - and you want to talk about servers?
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Use the PM system

and.

Thank you for offering the help.. Please follow through
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Trey wrote:
Use the PM system

and.

Thank you for offering the help.. Please follow through

Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject:

What kind of traffic does your "corporate website" get?

Try 500 simultaneous users hitting "refresh" every 30 seconds.... :roll:
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject:

We are on a new server. Just spent a good chunk of change from one of the mod's pockets upgrading to it.

Just getting throttled right now by Kobe's 65.
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject:

what an ungrateful ass. How about you donate some money to help them run this place fella, instead of acting like you're smarter than you are.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
Damn.

We just broke a 7-game losing streak behind another great performance by Kobe - and you want to talk about servers?
We talkin bout servers man. Servers!

Not the game... not not not... not the game. Servers.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Actually this is noted improvement DB.

A game like this by Kobe would have definitely KO'd the old server.
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject:

this seems like a pretty damn stable server to me, considering the others i've seen host this site. I could probably provide free hosting if i knew the traffic.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject:

You have to have a lot of damn nerve to come here and basically talk trash about a site in which YOU come and commune with fellow Laker fans.

I mean, why even go the route of creating a thread about your disdain for the server? Why couldn't you have PMed one of the mods and "offered" your help instead of "demand" something get done? Have you contributed monetarily to this venture? I don't think so.

Someone mentioned "ungrateful" and they hit the nail on the head.

Unbelievable. Completely inappropriate. Show some respect.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Come on and get a damn stable server!!!!!!

The_Coach wrote:
Enough said. I run a corporate website and we NEVER have the constant problems that LG has. If you don't know what you are doing EMAIL ME!!!!

I have servers at work that also run fine with a much, much higher load. The difference is, here's my server at work:

LINK

Total cost: Way into six figures

While LG's server, despite being recently upgraded, is still comparatively modest, and paid for out of personal funds and manned by volunteers. So I don't think it's fair for you to compare your corporate situation with LakersGround's.

That said, the new server was recently installed & configured, and I'm sure there are further opportunities for configuration/tuning (refer back to the part about LG being manned by volunteers -- give us time).

Beyond that, there are plenty of opportunities for beefing it up further. I'd like to see LG split into TWO servers, a front-end server for web traffic, and a back-end server for the database engine. Of course, that would require a considerable investment in hardware, installation/configuration time, and recurring hosting/bandwidth costs.

However, I'll also point out that despite user contributions and ad revenue LG doesn't break even, and Jason picks up the tab out of his own generosity and personal commitment to the site. Your continued contributions to support LG help defray those costs, and enable us to make further improvements.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I thank Jason for his generosity in helping LG.
And yes, I agree that it would be great to have at least 1 front end, and a back end, with a good db on top.

I was at a conference the other day, and they were talking about php limitations, in terms of scaling. Anyone know much more about it?

If we are only on one server, what is being run on it? I think the key really is CACHEING.

Here's a quick trick to help reduce bandwidth costs: purchase another another domain. Call it ldimg.net. Let it store the graphics, and then force the cache on the graphics to cache for 10 years. When you update the website, you update the filename for that graphic, so that we move forward.

There are tons of proxy issues, and many proxies don't cache if you have a cookie embedded into your top level domain (lakersground.net). Some do it correctly, some don't. So it's best to push graphics to another TLD. The graphics can still be stored on the same server, but cookies won't be sent, and you can force very long expires on it.

Anyway, there are a ton more tricks of trade to get better performance out of smaller configurations. I wonder what the iostat, vmstat, and load on the servers are right now. Lots of fun stuff can be done by good tweaks...
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
with a good db on top.

We've got more than enough DB!
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
And yes, I agree that it would be great to have at least 1 front end, and a back end, with a good db on top.

Further to what Zev just said, you just conjured up an image of DB "on top" that's going to be stuck in my mind all day. Thanks....

The back end is mySQL, and I honestly don't know much about its tunability. There is a free version of Oracle that would probably do better, but that'd be a major investment in time to get running & tuned. Unfortunately, my expertise lies in a product that isn't supported by phpBB.

Quote:
I was at a conference the other day, and they were talking about php limitations, in terms of scaling. Anyone know much more about it?

No, but I don't think our traffic his high enough where the ceiling on php scalability is the issue.

Quote:
If we are only on one server, what is being run on it? I think the key really is CACHEING.

Here's a quick trick to help reduce bandwidth costs: purchase another another domain. Call it ldimg.net. Let it store the graphics, and then force the cache on the graphics to cache for 10 years. When you update the website, you update the filename for that graphic, so that we move forward.

There are tons of proxy issues, and many proxies don't cache if you have a cookie embedded into your top level domain (lakersground.net). Some do it correctly, some don't. So it's best to push graphics to another TLD. The graphics can still be stored on the same server, but cookies won't be sent, and you can force very long expires on it.

That's an interesting idea, which I hadn't thought of. Having seen the server logs, I can verify that graphic dl's are indeed a high percentage of the traffic.

Quote:
Anyway, there are a ton more tricks of trade to get better performance out of smaller configurations. I wonder what the iostat, vmstat, and load on the servers are right now. Lots of fun stuff can be done by good tweaks...

Yeah, I want to know those things too. Unfortunately, the major issue is time. The main guy doing the work has what might be the canonical "no spare time" jobs, and that limits how fast we can move.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
tlim wrote:
with a good db on top.

We've got more than enough DB!

LarryCoon wrote:
tlim wrote:

Further to what Zev just said, you just conjured up an image of DB "on top" that's going to be stuck in my mind all day. Thanks....

I think I've been blinded.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject:

I've done some MySQL tuning myself in terms of caches, keys, etc. I could volunteer some time to help with that if you guys need.

Purchasing a new TLD: $13 or so, or less eh? Routing it to the same box is part of the hosting package, most likely.

So the server is phpBB running with standard Apache? Could you add mods or switch to something different?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: