Roy Hibbert v. Oden (Bynum related)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Roy Hibbert v. Oden (Bynum related)

The Final Four game between G'Town and tOSU will be a classic for the ages. Two true 7 footers going at it. I've only seen the two play a few times this year. Oden has received the hype not only on LG, but nationwide. Hibbert to me is the better center and compares physically to Bynum IMO. Check out his scouting report:

A center with great size and strength, an excellent touch on his shot displaying his soft hands. Very good free throw shooter, around 80% which is especially important for a center as it will equate into some easy points. A smart player who has a good understanding of his role and what to do on the court and is developing some nice post moves. His decision making has improved, has good vision and passing ability with a calm demeanor, and never gets out of control or loses his cool. Has the size to block shots and rebound inside without jumping. Needs to work on his lateral quickness and speed in the open court. The added quickness will improve his defense and shot blocking ability.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Profiles-2007/Roy-Hibbert

Sounds a lot like our Andrew Bynum. So when Georgetown dominates tOSU with Hibbert being a major factor, we can put to bed the notion some have shared that the Lakers are not in good hands with "unathletic" Bynum at the pivot.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject:

I'd even dare say that Andrew is a little more athletic than Roy. But let's see how the game plays out tomorrow. Greg is as near as a lock as anything as far as being a special player when he reaches his potential.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject:

^Agreed totally.

I am not sure if Oden has played against a true 7 footer all year. I am curious to see how Oden plays because he is relatively healthy now and has a full year of major college ball under his belt.

What I like about Bynum and Hibbert is that they are not athletic freaks yet they can anchor your defense for 15+ years.
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject:

I see Hibbert as quite slow footed,and not at all in either Bynum or odens class..... I dont think he is a bad player by any means,but for me I see an average starting center in the future ( thats after 3 years or so in the NBA) in Hibbert.....

Bynum I still believe can be a top 3 to 5 type center within a couple years given minutes and growth....

Oden will be a 22 and 14 guy with 4 blocks and intimidate everything in that paint.....top center deluxe.....
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject:

From what I've seen the last two games from Bynum, I think Bynum is considerably more athletic than Hilbert, and I think almost as athletic as Oden. So athleticly, it's Oden, Bynum, Hilbert. Sizewise, it's Hilbert, Bynum, Oden.

Anyway, Hilbert should be getting a lot more love than he's getting. 7'2 centers with a soft touch don't exactly grow on trees. His athleticism can be developed, and as the old adage goes, you truely cannot teach size.
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject:

Hibbert better than Oden? Not even close.

Oden will be a star (or his impact will be at that level) in the league. Hibbert will be a quality backup/decent starter. Nothing against Hibbert, but he just isn't close to Oden. Bynum is somewhere between the two.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject:

Be careful with all these generalizations. Once again, the difference between these guys is never that great. Remember, Hilbert IS 2 inches taller than Oden.

In addition, it's been shown that you can develop just about anything, as long as you're willing to work. They say Aldridge wasn't very athletic, well, he looks plenty athletic to me(seems like he slimmed down.) Even 4 or 5 inches in vertical, which is very "doable," can make a big difference. Hilbert is said to have a great work ethic. I wouldn't hesitate taking a chance on him, if he was available.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject:

Hibbert isn't as athletic as Bynum. True. He's still mobile and unlike both Oden and Bynum, he's a serious brickhouse of muscle.

What Hibbert doesn't have is real quickness, speed, explosiveness, etc. Think Yao Ming in the sense of rotation help defense. He can block the shot..

... only if he gets there in time.

Otherwise he'd be a surefire lottery pick. I'm not surprised if he gets mid-late 1st round, even in this non-deep draft (so far).

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject:

Mike, do you think he can manage in an up tempo offense?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike, do you think he can manage in an up tempo offense?

Nope. He better get good at outlet passes. You should see how hard he has to work just to go from defense to offense.

Quote:
Weaknesses: Limited athletically: Lacks quickness, speed in the open floor, and explosiveness ... Has trouble against big and athletic centers, must work on ball fakes and becoming less predictable offensively ... Runs very stiff, slow transitioning from half to full court ... Has decent shot blocking skills due to his size, but lacks great quickness and reflexes vertically ...

http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/royhibbert.html

At least Hibbert does a great job of setting up his jumphook real well.

ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject:

Which begs the question, what kind of player would Bynum have been if he had gone to college? Would he be dominating right now?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Which begs the question, what kind of player would Bynum have been if he had gone to college? Would he be dominating right now?

I think he'd but up there statistically with Oden as a sophomore player compared to Oden as a frosh.

What's the difference between Oden and Hibbert? Hibbert has +2 more years experience, proven work ethic, and far more strength.

Oden is more athletic, proven work ethic, good skills as a 19 year old, and surpasses Hibbert statistically.

That's cutting ahead.

Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Do the old Georgetown centers still work out there together in the summer? I know they used to do that. If Hibbert gets to work out with Ewing, Mourning and Mutumbo, that's got to help his development.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Here's his Wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Hibbert#Key_attributes

Look at the part where it talks about Pokemon.

Hopefully, he and Bynum can bring back the true center into the NBA.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Comparing Roy and Drew's athletic ability, I'd say Drew is much more fluid.

It very evident when Drew runs (or really, when he decides to sprint). He's no "plodder." He really sprawls out and cover a lot of ground.

Roy seems much more stiff.
"Clunky," if you will.
When he gets out and runs, he kinda runs funny.
He's more of a plodder.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Hibbert stands to make or lose a couple million from this game, depending on how he plays against Oden....
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
Comparing Roy and Drew's athletic ability, I'd say Drew is much more fluid.

It very evident when Drew runs (or really, when he decides to sprint). He's no "plodder." He really sprawls out and cover a lot of ground.

Roy seems much more stiff.
"Clunky," if you will.
When he gets out and runs, he kinda runs funny.
He's more of a plodder.

Meaning, mechanical?

samsl
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject:

From what I've seen both Oden and even moreso Hibbert are very mechanical on offense. Oden has more of a natural feel in dynamic situations, like putbacks and using both hands.

While I can actually hear the gears in AB's head turning while he thinks about his moves and footwork inside timing-wise, he does so with much more fluidity than I've seen from the college guys.

Also, AB plays guys about his size night in and night out - world class athletes, from Snaq, Yao, Boozer, Dwight, Amare, Kaman, Brand, Curry, Chandler, Big Ben, etc. AB has spent the last season and a half learning to outplay these guys combining skill, size and athleticism.

I have watched quite a few games from both Oden and Hibbert. Both simply get by on size - going right over everyone they meet. They could possibly have more to their game than that (probably Oden; I highly doubt Hibbert), but they haven't shown it yet.

If Sun Yue is the Chinese Magic Johnson...I'm the Chinese Brad Pitt...
samsl
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject:

ProjectAB wrote:
Be careful with all these generalizations. Once again, the difference between these guys is never that great. Remember, Hilbert IS 2 inches taller than Oden.

In addition, it's been shown that you can develop just about anything, as long as you're willing to work. They say Aldridge wasn't very athletic, well, he looks plenty athletic to me(seems like he slimmed down.) Even 4 or 5 inches in vertical, which is very "doable," can make a big difference. Hilbert is said to have a great work ethic. I wouldn't hesitate taking a chance on him, if he was available.

I'd rather have Acie Law.

If Sun Yue is the Chinese Magic Johnson...I'm the Chinese Brad Pitt...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Swatting 7' Brook Lopez, Spencer Hawes, and Kevin Durant, as well as taking a charge on Durant.

Watching the HS footage, he really doesn't exactly look as mechanical as he does now.

magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Hibbert isn't a fluid player up-and-down the court, but is much more fluid on D, with his moves, and within the halfcourt, IMO.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:

I was talking smack to my homie (diehard Buckeye fan) and he said Hibbert is the Black George Murison. Too funny...

Hibbert is no way near as athletic as Oden but he is a presence out there. I fully expect the no-layup rule to be in full effect when Hibbert is in there. He is a swatter in the truest form.

Hibbert stood tall against UNC's Hansbrough and Wright (2 lottery picks in my opinion). Sure Tyler had 26 but 14 came from the charity stripe - mostly from some NBA touch fouls. Wright had 14. My point here is Hansbrough/Wright as a tandem is > Oden alone. Hibbert had 13 on 60% shooting to go with 6 swats and 11 boards. (BTW he had a double double in all tourney games).

I agree that Oden will be better than Hibbert eventually, but right now I would take Hibbert - hype aside.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:

^Yup. It helps to be a brickhouse when you've got a couple of flys going against you.

magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't exactly say Oden is out there alone in the frontcourt. Othella Hunter is quite impressive alongside Oden. Active, decent touch around the basket, decent shot-blocker.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Hibbert isn't as athletic as Bynum. True. He's still mobile and unlike both Oden and Bynum, he's a serious brickhouse of muscle.

What Hibbert doesn't have is real quickness, speed, explosiveness, etc. Think Yao Ming in the sense of rotation help defense. He can block the shot..

... only if he gets there in time.

Otherwise he'd be a surefire lottery pick. I'm not surprised if he gets mid-late 1st round, even in this non-deep draft (so far).

So any chance we consider him Mike?

I know next to nothing about Hibbert, but I like some of the things I have heard in this thread. Does he have anything resembling a jumper/mid range game -- I know he's a center and all, but if the potential for developing one is there (yes that sounds like Kwame), a Bynum/Hibbert front court could reak havoc for years no?

Again, I know next to nothing about this guy and probably doesn't fit on our squad or needs, just wondering.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: