Bob Sura?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Good Idea?
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 25 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 36

shermn8or
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Bob Sura?

I think the lakers should try to work out a deal for bob sura. he is a solid player. he is 6'5 and played alot of point gaurd last season for houston. it works out perfectly for the lakers he make 3.5 mil next season and 3.8 the season after. then he is a free agent. so it works perfectly for the lakers. if the lakers could package a few players together then the lakers could get there tall point guard.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject:

all it will take to get sura is d.george - who the rockets can really use.
my problem with this is we'll be helping a major contender get their pieces in place, while i only see sura as a good back up guard because he is a poor shooter.
he'd be someone i'd like to have on our team, but not as a starter.
and like i said - i am really worried about the rockets roster and trade baits - i think they are on the verge of breaking out and i would hate the thought that we helped them...
george would be perfect for them.
but might be a good deal for us either way...
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Yeah not sure I want Sura as our starter (and certainly not as a long term plan either way), but AD or Jaric as the starter, then swapping out George or someone else who's still relatively expendable, and I like Sura in there.

Good triangle length, good enough outside shooter... I'd love to see Sasha turn out, but I don't get the feeling he's ready to even be a quality backup just yet, so it'd be nice to have Sura on the bench for the next couple years to give Sasha some time.

Soda
thegoldenhand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject:

The odd man out from Houston would be Lue. Remember that they made a gazillion moves last year just to find the right balance for their PG spot. They are set with Wesley, Sura and Head although there are reports of them also looking at Mighty Mouse. Things will be clearer once July 22 hits.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject:

are you talking about the houston hawks ?
or the atlanta rockets ?

take another look at the rockets' roster...

they want to get a starting point guard, and have m.james and head as back ups.
judging by his playing time in last year's playoffs - sura will be their odd man out.
shermn8or
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
my problem with this is we'll be helping a major contender get their pieces in place, while i only see sura as a good back up guard because he is a poor shooter.
and like i said - i am really worried about the rockets roster and trade baits - i think they are on the verge of breaking out and i would hate the thought that we helped them...

sura stats are not as bad as everyone thought. he shot 38% from behind the arc, he averaged 5 assits and 5 boards a game and the best thing is that all of his stats improved in the playoffs. his 3 point % went up to 53% during the playoffs. and his shooting percentage went up also. i like him. im only sayin we should get him if we dont get AD. i agree that he would be good off the bench but if we cant get AD then i would rather have sura over lue, dikau, and watson, because of his size.
Kobe-Wan Kenobi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Sura has always been VERY underrated... id love to seem him in a lakers uniform... lotta ppl cant put two and two together... like how much the rockets record last year changed after sura came back from knee surgery and started...
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject:

shermn8or wrote:
davidse wrote:

sura stats are not as bad as everyone thought. he shot 38% from behind the arc, he averaged 5 assits and 5 boards a game and the best thing is that all of his stats improved in the playoffs. his 3 point % went up to 53% during the playoffs. and his shooting percentage went up also. i like him. im only sayin we should get him if we dont get AD. i agree that he would be good off the bench but if we cant get AD then i would rather have sura over lue, dikau, and watson, because of his size.

Considering we can only get Sura in a S&T, why not get AD and Sura? Like we've said, Sura is quality enough to start on some teams, but not a good or great starter. His energy is good off the bench and his length and outside shot fits the triangle.

If a big can be signed via amnesty or LLE (backup), let's say Rat... this could be, with an edge of optomism, your Laker lineup next year:

Daniels/Sura
Kobe/Sasha
Odom/JJ/Walton/DG
Kwame/Turiaf/Slava/Cook/(Grant?)
Ratliff/Mihm/Bynum

Of course, you'd have to subtract off that lineup whomever you might trade away for Sura (maybe 1-2 players from George, Cook, Slava and JJ...who I'd like to keep the most of that group). And you might add a player or two who earns a spot off the summer league and camp action.

Still, not a bad lineup. Block party with Mihm, Rat and Kwame regardless of who is in, and Turiaf gives you nothing but hustle even if his minutes aren't huge early on. Bynum can still plug in for 5-10 as the season progresses to season him.

My only wonder is when Sura's current contract is up and whether or not that affects our cap space in 2007.

One thing to think about. Everyone for awhile has said that Amare and Yao are the potentials for 2007, but expect Amare is signed back for sure by then.

I'm not even all that sold on Yao, especially when we have Bynum waiting in the wings. BUT... Amare is a natural PF, and if the Suns end up matching Joe Johnsons max offer from the Hawks (rumors recently are that they aren't sure they will do it)... but if they do, they may not have the room to extend Amare like they wanted.... and THAT would be a huge huge thing to miss out on.

Can you imagine a seasoned Bynum hitting his stride while complimented by Amare, Kwame, Odom, and Kobe? Throw whatever else you like around that but that is instant contention.

I realize, still likely that Amare isn't available or even doesn't come here to play. But even if it's an outside chance, wowwww.

Soda
PhilJacksonisback
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: ?

New member here, well i have been a member since june just never spoke until now, i don't know about sura, still hope we land ad, would be nice to land Ad in a sign and trade and save the mid-level exception. 8)
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject:

i like sura's agressivness and attitude last year. Only reason I dont want him is cause hes constantly injured.
nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject:

Great idea never thought of him. We need a good veteran combo guard to come off the bench. And I think he would fill that hole. If Daniels needs a break bring Sura in and let Kobe and Odom bring the ball up. If you take Kobe out let Odom and Daniels handle the ball. We're giving up a player we dont need for a player we do need. Same for the Rockets. Who cares the Rockets are always going to be underachievers.

The Spurs will never live up to the dynasty we created
inamoto5
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject:

Sura would add the defenive toughness we neede in PG
shermn8or
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject:

ya if we could get danials and sura that would be great. i personally love the sura idea because it just seems to work so perfectly. he makes a little over 3 mil each of the next two seasons then when the 07 free agent period is here hell be gone and we can get a big name. at the moment this just seems to be perfect. mitch needs to somehow make this work.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: