David Vascey from AM570 talked to Laker players about Kobe
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worldjunction
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: David Vascey from AM570 talked to Laker players about Kobe

Today on the Petros & Money Show they said David Vascey spoke to Laker players after their exit interviews. I missed it, but they were hinting strongly that the players didn't enjoy playing with Kobe (but they didn't say it straight out because they wanted people to listen to the segment, which I couldn't).

Did anyone hear that segment? What was said?

If they don't like playing with Kobe, that really hurts. I'm such a big fan and the thought of the other players not liking him.... There will always be a couple, but I hope at least the majority like him.

Players not liking playing with him would show that he still has some ways to go as a leader and as a person. I hoped he was making big strides.
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject:

if a collection of stiffs like this don't like playing with kobe, who the hell will?
worldjunction
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Yeah Klassix. I'm worried.

If they aren't hard workers, I can see Kobe riding them. I don't mind them disliking him for pushing them. You can't always like your leader.

But you got to respect him and want to follow him. I wish we could get a true barometer of what is really going on behind the scenes.

Do you know what was said in that segment?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Eh I would take it with a grain of salt unless they say it flat out then I'll believe it until then this can easily be made up.

I mean really like any of these people check their sources with stuff like this.
datniggbstyle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Mo Evans, Smush, Luke, Shammond would be the extreme cases of dislike

Middle of the pack both sides and back - Bynum, Cook, Vlad, Farmar, Kwame

Pro Kobe - Lamar, Turiaf

Just an assumption from actions on court and words said off court
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject:

i'm sure some feelings were hurt when kobe was making comments like "we're not the most talented team in the world", and his demand that the team be revamped now is an obvious indication that some of his current teammates need to go. those are the ones i can do without. the guys i'd like to keep (odom, luke, farmar, turiaf) are guys i imagine like playing with kobe. other COMPETITORS i'm sure like to play with kobe. guys like Mo, Cook, shammond, and Smush are the guys who probably didn't like playing with kobe because they didn't think they got enough minutes/looks, and when they did, they wilted under the pressure. FO oughta give the big adios to all of them. none of them showed me anything this year that would make me miss them next year.

Last edited by pjiddy on Thu May 03, 2007 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: David Vascey from AM570 talked to Laker players about Kobe

worldjunction wrote:
Today on the Petros & Money Show they said David Vascey spoke to Laker players after their exit interviews. I missed it, but they were hinting strongly that the players didn't enjoy playing with Kobe (but they didn't say it straight out because they wanted people to listen to the segment, which I couldn't).

Did anyone hear that segment? What was said?

If they don't like playing with Kobe, that really hurts. I'm such a big fan and the thought of the other players not liking him.... There will always be a couple, but I hope at least the majority like him.

Players not liking playing with him would show that he still has some ways to go as a leader and as a person. I hoped he was making big strides.

I did hear the segment. You've got to remember, who information is coming from. David has been Shaq jocker forever and even in today's show still accused Kobe of running Shaq out of town. Money has started to argue that, and eventually they have agreed about both players being guilty (needless to say, that's where the truth is, IMHO). David still has not elaborated on what exactly has been said.

That said, Kobe still has to do some soul searching as well, especially in the area of his body language when somebody makes a mistake. I know - it gets intolerable at times, but that's what leaders do...
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Regardles of what Vescey heard or not, Kobe still needs to adjust his play on the court and his leadership skills.

Regardless of his leadership, until he finds the balance of scoring and facilitating, it makes it hard to play with him because players don't know which Kobe they are going to play with and where they should be. Offenses are made to get everyone on the same page, but if Kobe goes off on his own too much, its impossible for teammates to know what to do and they get frustrated. So yes, some of it is on Kobe.

Some of those random shots he takes and when he doesn't recognize when he's cold shows disrespect for his teammates, because sometimes they really do have better looks than he has. Sure his teammates could be better, but not looking for them and taking shots outside the offense only throws them out of rythm more and makes it tough for them. A leader brings others up to his level, all I have seen from Kobe so far is expecting others to do it on their own.

There is still work for him to be done in his maturastion and growth as a leader and a basketball player.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
NBAFan07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject:

The way he blasts them on the court doesn't help, when he makes the same mistakes at times....the guy really needs to grow up and mature. He is not the leader everyone wants him to be, there's way of handling things and Kobe still don't know how to.
Terry_Teagle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Guys that do not seem to have a problem with Kobe: B. Davis, JO, KG, Jason Kidd. The first third of the season was very enjoyable for the Laker team, happiest I have seen the team in a long time. The rest of the season was a drag and wore on the players. Frustrations mounted, Kobe wants to win now. Losing always brings out the worst in players, especially when there appears to be no light at the end of the tunnel. Kobe did what he had to do to make it clear to the FO that changes are needed. Maybe players were offended when he made the statements about needing more talent, because they thought he was complaining about their lack of talent.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Oh boy, the 'make players better' garbage again.

Sometimes I think many folks here would be happier if Kobe kept feeding the ball to his teammates, held their hands, consoled them, and represented the Lakers at the Lottery.
worldjunction
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity...

You and I are always on the same page about Kobe's shot selection. He was doing MUCH better this year until he lost faith in his teammates.

Him losing faith is understandable...BUT.... I just don't like the season AND Kobe's style of play ending on such a sour note.

Imagine how amazing Kobe would have been earlier in the year with his team play AND his health from later in the season!!!!!
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Terry_Teagle wrote:
Guys that do not seem to have a problem with Kobe: B. Davis, JO, KG, Jason Kidd. The first third of the season was very enjoyable for the Laker team, happiest I have seen the team in a long time. The rest of the season was a drag and wore on the players. Frustrations mounted, Kobe wants to win now. Losing always brings out the worst in players, especially when there appears to be no light at the end of the tunnel. Kobe did what he had to do to make it clear to the FO that changes are needed. Maybe players were offended when he made the statements about needing more talent, because they thought he was complaining about their lack of talent.

He was complaining about the team's lack of talent.

Even healthy, the Lakers were horrible defensively.
worldjunction
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Here is my question LakerSanity...

Why don't you think Kobe doesn't recognize his cold streaks? Why do you think he doesn't try to improve his shot selection?

And that said.... I think in games 3, 4 and half of game 5 he really was trying to improve it with drives (Game 2 doesn't count since he didn't shoot that much).
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject:

We have weakminded players on this team with no heart. The lackluster effort during the playoffs showed it. EVERY leader gets on the teammates. MJ, Magic, Bird, Shaq, everyone. What's Kobe supposed to do when guys are paying half attention, or just playing dumb.

Hopefully he named the players so we can ship their ass out of LA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: David Vascey from AM570 talked to Laker players about Kobe

I heard Kwame's interview. Briefly he mentioned regarding Defense, that many of the teammates weren't trying to cover each other's backs. They asked Kwame about his injuries, he said he had a problem with his shoulder that would require surgery, and that he had multiple bone spurs that would also require surgery. he said earlier in the year before his ankle injury everyone(teammates) were happy and they were doing well, but after the injury he wasn't able to practice with the team, even after he came back because he needed to get treatments. He said hindsight is 20/20, everyone wants to blow up the team just because injuries took the team away from being able to practice and play together healthy, and that he thinks he just needs to get healthy and he'll be fine. Said Odom and Walton were badly injured during the playoff series.

I can't remember any more, but his comments about how hindsight is 20/20 and how before the injuries everyone was happy seemed to be directed at any and all people calling for blowing up the team.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Oh boy, the 'make players better' garbage again.

Sometimes I think many folks here would be happier if Kobe kept feeding the ball to his teammates, held their hands, consoled them, and represented the Lakers at the Lottery.

lol

I too can think of several such posters on this site.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject:

NBAFan07 wrote:
The way he blasts them on the court doesn't help, when he makes the same mistakes at times....the guy really needs to grow up and mature. He is not the leader everyone wants him to be, there's way of handling things and Kobe still don't know how to.

Who does he blast on the court? In the last few years he has yelled at Bynum and Luke a few times. Who else? I would bet money other superstars "blast" their teammates far more.

Some of you are sad hypocrites. You are yelling for the team to be blown up and to get Kobe some help, then Kobe acts like a human and voices a little frustration and you are all over him. Especially pathetic after the freaking load he carried this season.
worldjunction
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject:

I don't think a leader needs to be liked. A leader some time has to chew people out and give out some ass whoopins.

However, you can be afraid and intimidated by your leader, but you still have to want to follow and play hard for that leader.

I was wondering if Kobe INSPIRES them?

Or are they so terrible and so weak hearted that they can't be inspired?

Opinions are a dime a dozen. I really would like to hear the ture opinion of the coaching staff about Kobe's leadership.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Teammates didn't like playing with Kobe?

Awww shucks, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

You love to play with Kobe Bryant if:

A. You want to win at all costs.
B. Bring energy every night.
C. Bring effort every night.
D. Bring your very best every night to help the team.
E. Realize what your team needs from you.

If you don't meet that criteria, i.e. you're a little primadonna (bleep), yea, you aren't going to like playing with Kobe because you fit the exact opposite of the above A-E, whereas Kobe attempts to fulfill A-E nearly every night.

There are a select few players on this team who meet A-E on this team (and this new age NBA in general) and subsequently are the players I would *like* to keep around.

Last edited by Tony Almeida on Thu May 03, 2007 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
junebug
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure Kobe didn't enjoy playing with these weak minded (bleep)' scrubs(except Lamar) either. :roll: I don't give a damn. If You don't want the hardest working player in the planet, go away.
rpadma12
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject:

worldjunction wrote:

Opinions are a dime a dozen. I really would like to hear the ture opinion of the coaching staff about Kobe's leadership.

considering Phil and Tex have criticized the IQ of the players and Phil even calling them slugs and having the mind of earthworms, it is pretty obvious that they are tired of lack of talent on this team.. both this coaching staff and Kobe haven't experienced being on a bad team and having to build from scratch and that's showing. It is understandable that for guys who have won titles to then have to rebuild is hard to swallow for long.
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I don't care what bad players have to say
Kobster
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject:

You know what screw all of those scrubs. Kobe has turned his career around big time. He has been nothing short of a big time leader/teacher for this team the past 2+ years. He has motivated, lead, encouraged and ripped this team when needed. I mean what would you do with this team. Even phil said numerous times how much Kobe has matured and turned into a really good team leader. All of these scrubs are nothing more then a bunch of jealous idiots, much like Sucky Atkins when he was here. All of these lower marquee players are very jealous of Kobe's ability and god giving talent and his accomplishments.
rpadma12
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Ko8e8ryant wrote:
I don't care what bad players have to say

agreed. Chucky Atkins said a lot of things during his tenure as a laker.. where has that gotten him?

At the same time, there isn't a perfect leader out there. Kobe has his flaws. But the problem is clearly lack of talent and not even having a set starting lineup in the playoffs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: