De La Hoya vs Mayweather should have been a draw!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: De La Hoya vs Mayweather should have been a draw!!

You have to take the title from the champion, no way did Floyd do that. He might have been more accurate, but De La Hoya was more aggressive. A draw would have been appropriate, no fighter stood out more than the other. De La Hoya went against the best fighter in the world and showed no rust, or fear and as a matter a fact was not cut or bleeding at any point. Mayweather cannot say the same.

A rematch might be appropriate, but De La Hoya should call it a career.

Go Lakers

BTW: This fight was hardly the "Murder" called out by Mayweather.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject:

De La Hoya got robbed about as bad as the Lakers did during the '04 Finals.
AboveTheRim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject:

According to CompuBox statistics, Mayweather landed 207 of 481 punches (43 percent). De La Hoya landed 122 of 587 (21 percent).

"Mayweather did his best imitation of a smaller version of a young Roy Jones Jr., a defensive whiz whose ability to not get hit was just as important his world-class hand speed. He danced around De La Hoya at times but chose his spots to flurry. In the final four rounds — all of which were scored for Mayweather — speed was the deciding factor. Give Mayweather credit for weathering the earlier storm and delivering when it counted the most.

De La Hoya landed a haymaker right hand at the end of the 11th, but he tasted more leather than he threw in the round. Mayweather was faster. Fresher. Better."

Don't have the link for this but I agree 100%.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
De La Hoya got robbed about as bad as the Lakers did during the '04 Finals.

Nah, it might of seemed like it, but De La Hoya missed A LOT...it only looked like he was dead on.
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject:

Mayweather won with the last 3 rounds. Up to that point the fight was even. The right fighter won.
Caron1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject:

Give me a break. I dont think Oscar hit Mayweather clean all night. De La Hoya's only success came when he swung wildly against the ropes, he was getting lit up in the middle of the ring. If Golden Boy Promotions wasnt involved with the judges it probably wouldve been unanimous.

I like Oscar and he fought hard but it wasnt close.
mswift44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject:

Oscar did his best, but Mayweather pulled away in the later rounds. I don't think it was even close. Mayweather fought a smart fight, and put on a clinic as the fight went on. I still don't get why Oscar went away from his Jab. It seemed it was working when he used it, and he just went away from it. I know Mayweather is saying he's retired, but I'm expecting a rematch.
Question for everybody. Did the fight meet your expectations? Did it live up to the hype to you guys? The HBO crew had an interesting conversation on whether or not this fights quality was enough to keep the interest of the general public.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:
Give me a break. I dont think Oscar hit Mayweather clean all night. De La Hoya's only success came when he swung wildly against the ropes, he was getting lit up in the middle of the ring. If Golden Boy Promotions wasnt involved with the judges it probably wouldve been unanimous.

Bingo.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject:

De La Hoya never wins the close fights...

Does this mean De La Hoya Mayweahter II?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
De La Hoya never wins the close fights...

Does this mean De La Hoya Mayweahter II?

IMO it would turn out the same exact way, how about Shane Mosley vs Floyd? This would be a much more competitive fight
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:

Lit up? Dont you actually have to throw punches in combinations or come forward to light somebody up. Floyd definately won but Floyd was very unimpressive in the win. He has no real punching power at the higher weights and he doesnt throw punches in combinations.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject:

mswift44 wrote:
Oscar did his best, but Mayweather pulled away in the later rounds. I don't think it was even close. Mayweather fought a smart fight, and put on a clinic as the fight went on. I still don't get why Oscar went away from his Jab. It seemed it was working when he used it, and he just went away from it. I know Mayweather is saying he's retired, but I'm expecting a rematch.
Question for everybody. Did the fight meet your expectations? Did it live up to the hype to you guys? The HBO crew had an interesting conversation on whether or not this fights quality was enough to keep the interest of the general public.

The main event was pretty entertaining but the undercard was terrible. $54 for one single fight that I wouldve given a 6/10 if you dont count the hype
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

I understand what you guys say about the accuracy of Mayweather, but you have to take the title from the champ, and I don't think Floyd was even close to dominant. Punch and Run tactics should not get you the title, especially if you don't put a combo together. I also argue alot of Floyds punches looked liked they landed, but were hitting Oscar's gloves, hence Oscar having no marks on his face. I'm also tired of hearing how Floyd weighs so much less, he weighed 4 lbs less, but is 3" smaller at the ratio he is actually the bigger fighter.

I wouldn't mind a rematch, I think Oscar can beat this guy.

Go Lakers
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:

Can anyone think of a good reason why DLH got away from the jab. I didnt see FW countering when DLH led with his jab. Wasnt Roach telling him to double the jab all night in the corner?
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject:

vandido626 wrote:
Can anyone think of a good reason why DLH got away from the jab. I didnt see FW countering when DLH led with his jab. Wasnt Roach telling him to double the jab all night in the corner?

I couldnt, but when they asked DLH why he didnt use the jab his response was "It wasnt a jab night"
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Whoever thinks Oscar was as good as Mayweather is totally blind and delusional. No way was it even close. Oscar barely hit Mayweather clean, he was more aggressive and had more furies, but it all useless. The crowd would cheer over body shots...give me a break. Mayweather kept throwing jabs at oscars face, they were so quick u couldnt even tell. Oscar stood no chance in that fight, I cant believe one of the judges actually picked oscar over maryweather. It wasn't a massacre, and neither did Floyd kill Oscar, but he definetely beat him by alot.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Everyone I've talked to, said it shouldn't have been a split decision. Close (in Mayweather's favor) until the final round, when he destroyed De La Hoya.

Not only was the compubox thrown punch stat numbers skewed in favor of Floyd... look at the power punches.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Everyone I've talked to, said it shouldn't have been a split decision. Close (in Mayweather's favor) until the final round, when he destroyed De La Hoya.

Not only was the compubox thrown punch stat numbers skewed in favor of Floyd... look at the power punches.

I honestly thought DLH won the last round and I think 2/3 judges actually gave him the round. I personally had it 115-113 Floyd.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject:

For what it's worth...

Quote:
After his historic points win over Oscar De La Hoya on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, pound for pound the best boxer in the world Floyd Mayweather Jr insisted to HBO’s Larry Merchant when interviewed that he would now retire as promised in the lead-up to the fight.

I’m still retiring after this fight,” he said. “I proved myself in the sport. A six-time world champion in five different weight classes. They said I couldn’t do it. I weighed 150lbs yesterday. Coming into the fight today I weighed 148. You saw a welterweight beat a junior middleweight today.

Asked why he would walk away from boxing now when big fights with Shane Mosley, Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito were still out there for him, 30 year-old Mayweather 38-0 (24) replied, “Because I have nothing else to prove. I made tons of money in this sport. These years I value with my children. I’m moving on to bigger and better things. I’m happy no matter what nobody says. God don’t make no mistakes. That’s why I am a six-time world champion in five different weight classes. I am truly, truly blessed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:

De La Hoya won the final round, was never destroyed through the fight.

Go Lakers
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject:

i didn't even think it was that close of a fight and was shocked it was a split decision.

mayweather is such a perfect villain in this fight, (all the pre-fight talk, the introduction in the mexican garb, which i don't care what he says, it was a complete "(bleep) you" to de la hoya).

meanwhile everyone loves de la hoya. he's always been a crowd favorite. i think this has changed alot of perception about the fight.

while every once in while de la hoya would unleash and seemingly potent flurry, mayweather was effectively blocking and dodging.

i was dissapointed in the excitement of the fight. but mayweather was the clear victor.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:
JD wrote:

De La Hoya won the final round, was never destroyed through the fight.

Go Lakers

So everyone else is wrong... and you're right? :roll:

Punches thrown/punches landed... power punches thrown/power punches landed.

Your boy lost. Deal with it.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject:

The most telling stat - Mayweather landed more power punches than total punches DeLaHoya landed altogether.

Nothing more really needs to be said.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject:

I'm not a boxing fan, but I did watch the fight. I was impressive with DLH. He was a little outmatched, but he fought with the heart of a champion. I was also very impressed with both fighters' defensive capabilities. Mayweather was excellent at dodging DLH's punches, but I was also impressed with DLH's ability to block Mayweather's punches with his hands.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject:

DLH was blocking Mayweather's punches with his face.

Thats how quick Pretty Boy was.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: