View previous topic :: View next topic  
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:
JD wrote:
methdxman wrote:
Floyd Mayweather is a great boxer, but in PRIDE or UFC he would last maybe maximum one minute against a good MMA fighter. I give him 1 minute because he could use a few months to train for defending takedowns. But even so, you wouldn't be able to learn it that well in a few months. Couple that on top of learning how to defend submissions (there are hundreds of them) and how to block kicks, and take kicks to the liver and thighs and knees and calves.

Basically, dude. You don't know anything. Even Floyd knows he would get his ass completely kicked in an MMA fight. It's like asking a 100m sprinter to run a marathon.

And you put any of those guys in a boxing ring... Mayweather would destroy them.

And if you put Kobe Bryant on a football field, he would get owned...

so on and so forth.

I love the UFC/Pride MMA fights. I think its one of the best things to come around, in a long time (and I've been watching them, since long before many of you even knew that the hell it was). But, one thing I've noticed, is a lot of the fans of the sport get seriously butthurt when anyone questions it. According to them, their fighters are gods. No man can stand up to them... other than another UFC fighter. Its truly naive.

Well said.

Im still waiting for you to back up any of the crap youve said in this thread
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
methdxman wrote:
Floyd Mayweather is a great boxer, but in PRIDE or UFC he would last maybe maximum one minute against a good MMA fighter. I give him 1 minute because he could use a few months to train for defending takedowns. But even so, you wouldn't be able to learn it that well in a few months. Couple that on top of learning how to defend submissions (there are hundreds of them) and how to block kicks, and take kicks to the liver and thighs and knees and calves.

Basically, dude. You don't know anything. Even Floyd knows he would get his ass completely kicked in an MMA fight. It's like asking a 100m sprinter to run a marathon.

And you put any of those guys in a boxing ring... Mayweather would destroy them.

so on and so forth.

I love the UFC/Pride MMA fights. I think its one of the best things to come around, in a long time (and I've been watching them, since long before many of you even knew that the hell it was). But, one thing I've noticed, is a lot of the fans of the sport get seriously butthurt when anyone questions it. According to them, their fighters are gods. No man can stand up to them... other than another UFC fighter. Its truly naive.

Still waiting for that old man in the forest to come kick Fedors ass
VindicatioN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject:

vvbandit wrote:
JD wrote:
methdxman wrote:

so on and so forth.

I thought he lived on top of a mountain?

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject:

the man on the mountain actually exists.

his name is pai-mei. and yes...he'll kick your ass.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:
methdxman wrote:

so on and so forth.

It's fine to question Pride/UFC but to say that they are not athletes or that they would get by a boxer with no MMA experience in a Pride ring or a UFC cage is just ridiculous. It's just as ridiculous as saying a track and field athlete will become the best football player ever just because he's the fastest guy in the world.

No Pride/UFC fan is saying that boxers are inferior athletes in anyway. All Pride/UFC fans say is that a boxer who fights MMA with no prior training will get WORKED. Who can argue against this? Of course Kobe is going to get owned on a football field.

Fedor Emelianenko against Lennox Lewis in a boxing ring would get worked with boxing rules. Sure. I don't think anyone disputes this.

But I think in a MMA fight Fedor would beat Lennox Lewis in about 1 minute. Would Lennox beat Fedor in one minute in a boxing fight? Probably not, because in boxing it's fairly easy to run away because you can't be grabbed.

As long as there are good boxers, I will continue to be a boxing fan. I think boxers are great athletes with great stamina and their punching skills are just awesome.

With that said, in MMA there are plenty of great strikers (punches, kicks, elbows, knees). Their punches might not equal a world class boxer's ability, but they're not that shabby either.

In any case, no one should try to downplay MMA as "street thuggery" because a street thug wouldn't last 2 seconds in a cage or ring. A street thug would probably not last 2 seconds against a boxer either.

MMA fighters train very hard to receive their blue or black belts in jiujitsu, judo, karate etc. Furthermore they have to spend a lot of time boxing, grappling, wrestling, practicing submissions, etc.

Nothing an MMA fighter does in the ring is an accident. It's all fruit of extensive training.

In any case, I think most of this anti MMA stuff comes from American fans who are innately impatient. That's why American fans cannot appreciate sports like Soccer, which to me, is my favorite sport next to basketball.

Most American sports fans, including UFC fans, don't like fights going on the ground, because they don't know what's going on. Now, UFC fans are starting to become more educated because of guys like Matt Hughs and company, but they definitely don't really care about reversals on the ground or anything like that. Japanese fans on the other hand, tend to cheer the subtleties of MMA because they are knowledgeable. Anyway.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject:

vvbandit wrote:
JD wrote:
methdxman wrote:

so on and so forth.

Thank you, for proving a point.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Most American sports fans, including UFC fans, don't like fights going on the ground, because they don't know what's going on. Now, UFC fans are starting to become more educated because of guys like Matt Hughs and company, but they definitely don't really care about reversals on the ground or anything like that. Japanese fans on the other hand, tend to cheer the subtleties of MMA because they are knowledgeable. Anyway.

I love the grappling aspect. Of course, that's probably the ex-wrestler in me.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:
vvbandit wrote:
JD wrote:
methdxman wrote:

so on and so forth.

Thank you, for proving a point.

oh take a joke you big baby

(That was a really intelligent reply - JD)
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:
Lampley is right. MMA is a circus act, not a legitimate sport. Its fun to watch but only because its a legalized street fight.

I'm not even deep into MMA like that. but I know what I see. and for the record
MMA stands for
Mixed
Martial
Arts

What part of Martial arts=street fight? this aint a bruce lee flick. How many peopel do you catch on average, having a martial arts street fight? You dont. if it wasn't for youtube. you may have never seen a martial artist in a street fight.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
They're both great sports. Obviously, boxing has the illustrious history on its side, while MMA is relatively in its infancy. With this, there are still a disproportionate amount of bad MMA fighters outnumbering the good. But if you watch the top level fighters, you will see a tremendous amount of skill and athleticism involved. The best guys in the sport display amazing techniques that take years of training and dedication to master.

People still think the UFC is like watching two drunks in a bar fighting in front of an audience. It started out as a spectacle, but those days are far behind us. MMA is just as much of a sport as any other combat sport like boxing. WWE is entertainment and not a sport because the sole purpose is to put on a scripted show and there is no real competition. MMA is nothing like that.

Olympic medalists in wrestling and judo have competed in MMA (Hidehiko Yoshida, Rulon Gardner, Matt Lindland). Kickboxing champions, submission grappling champions, and college state/national wrestling champions as well. These are elite level athletes.

What I like most about MMA is that it's the closest thing you can have to replicating a pure fight. In other words, you can use more tools (hands, feet, knees, elbows, positioning, chokes, joint manipulation, etc.) and creativity to defeat your opponent. The sweet science is great, but the fact that you can only use your hands limits a lot of creativity.

^^exactly, and you notice this the moment two boxers clinch. Imagine being clinch but you can still use your knees. but if you dont know how to use your knees you probbaly wont. that takes technique, training.

first and foremost, standing up mayweather would lose to a lot of these fighters that know how to kickbox a little bit. a couple of kicks to the leg renders one powerless. I've seen to many giants fall because some little guy kept chopping at the tree bark. I was amazed. i heard it could happen and didn't believe it. Tell you the truth. 3 swift kicks to mayweathers legs could possibly shut him down. forget about grappling/wrestling.

I've always said, If I had to choose to fight lets say oscar de la hoya or some mma guy thats his exact size or smaller but who knows how to grapple/wrestle well. I would choose to go with de la. cause worse case scenario. I could grab de la's arms and throw him. If i get to close to the mma guy, and he takes me down. its over. puts me in some kind of hold i can't get out of.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
methdxman wrote:

I love the grappling aspect. Of course, that's probably the ex-wrestler in me.

I actually hate that part of MMA. I would like to see them get off their backs more often.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject:

Here we go:

IBF Welterweight Champion Kermit Cintron wants to fight Sean Sherk.

Apparently, he also wrestled in high school and thinks he can beat UFC fighters.

It's not Floyd Mayweather, but at least Cintron is a champion.

Do it Dana!

Oh, and vote in this AOL poll for The Baddest Man on the Planet.

At the moment, Chuck is winning by a wide margin. Almost doubling the votes for 2nd place Emelianenko. Kobe is 11th.

No option for Pai-Mei there though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: