A good red wine?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: A good red wine?

Amatuer asking any wine pro of a good red wine...

Thanks!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject:

There are tons, best bet is to find a really good wine shop near you and pick the brain there of someone who has been in the industry for awhile.

Are you having the wine with dinner, are you looking for something that will enhance food or blow your friends away?

Huge intense wine or ????????
VindicatioN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject:

www.junowines.com

A personal favorite of mine..
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject:

A good cheap red wine (under or around $20), I always go for Ruffino Riserva Ducale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A good red wine?

Kobe8 wrote:

Thanks!

Domaine de la Romanee Conti is always a favorite for those pizza & poker nights, but at several thousand a bottle, you really gotta stay on a winnin' streak in the poker game, if 'ya know what I mean.

Seriously, what price range are you looking at, are you planning to have it with food (and if so, what food), and what kinds of red wine have you had and liked/disliked?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
EJ8VTEC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject:

it really depends on the type of food you are having... With Red sauce Italian If you dont like anything too sweet or too dry and not acidic i would suggest Rodney Strong Cabernet Sauvignon.. its excellent.. about $30 a bottle.

You CAN get good wine for cheaper then that.. i just really like that wine!

It also went good with my Surf and Turf I had so you can have it with things other then red sauce
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject:

Cabernet is a low-yield, in-demand grape, and consequently, you pay a premium -- and often for a wine that's not ready to drink right away. Again -- what's the price range? If it's lower priced, then there are some nice Zins that can be found for cheap. If it's really low priced, then there's a Spanish table wine called Borsao that goes for less than $5, that's better than most stuff at four times the price.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject:

Consumer Reports
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Cabernet is a low-yield, in-demand grape, and consequently, you pay a premium -- and often for a wine that's not ready to drink right away. Again -- what's the price range? If it's lower priced, then there are some nice Zins that can be found for cheap. If it's really low priced, then there's a Spanish table wine called Borsao that goes for less than $5, that's better than most stuff at four times the price.

True... Spanish wines are nicely priced (Borsao for red, Albarino for whites). Zinis are a good choice, but try an Australian Shiraz. Good bang for the buck.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:

Being from Chile, I always have to push for Chilean wines. Cheap, yes, but they are good. Concha y Toro, particularly the Casillero del Diablo, is a good, cheap, red wine. Or look at Santa Rita or 120. Stuff like that.

When I was in Ireland a few years back, we went to a restaurant that served the best red wine I ever had. It is from Spain, and I did not catch the name because I was counting on my brother to remember, but the bastard didn't. So it is lost to me, as the only thing he remembers is the region it comes from (Something & Leon - Something and Lion).
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject:

Agree with both of you. Spain & Chile offer tremendous value. Unfortunately, and especially with Spanish wine, I don't know my way around yet. When I go wine shopping (at Hi Time Liquor in Costa Mesa -- a tremendous place to buy wine) I always ask the guys there for some Spanish recommendations. That's how I found Borsao, which they described to me as "the best red wine value on the planet." Hi Time had it for $2.99 at the time, so based on that recommendation alone I bought a case (the whole case cost less than many of the individual bottles I bought that day).

BTW, Link to Hi Time: LINK
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Agree with both of you. Spain & Chile offer tremendous value. Unfortunately, and especially with Spanish wine, I don't know my way around yet. When I go wine shopping (at Hi Time Liquor in Costa Mesa -- a tremendous place to buy wine) I always ask the guys there for some Spanish recommendations. That's how I found Borsao, which they described to me as "the best red wine value on the planet." Hi Time had it for $2.99 at the time, so based on that recommendation alone I bought a case (the whole case cost less than many of the individual bottles I bought that day).

BTW, Link to Hi Time: LINK

Good suggestion, I will have to look at Borsao and take a taste.

But it all does boil down to what you asked earlier: what price range is the original poster looking at? If you have several hundred dollars to burn on one bottle of wine, don't go for the Concha y Toro. CyT is good if you have $10 or something, and it is just something to drink.

If you buy something that tastes just as good ten months from opening as it does the moment you open it, it is not particularly good wine. There are some really cheap wines out there that even when they spoil you can't really taste the difference. That is not what you want to impress your friends with.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject:

BTW, this is a fun article for anyone who hasn't seen it:

LINK
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Man, living in southern Brazil I cant get Argentinian and Chilean wine with relative ease and a very low price... pick any one from Mendonza, Argentina if you find... that place is like the Wine Mecca.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Charles Shaw.

i also enjoy peter vella's 'delicious red' varietal. it's the only wine that comes with its own tap inside a giant bladder.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

LINK

Among his Los Angeles wine friends are Univision Chief Financial Officer Andrew W. Hobson and investment banker Joe Wender, husband of California vintner Ann Colgin, as well as music industry executives and movie producers.

Kurniawan's social circle also includes the dozen bankers, real estate tycoons and venture capitalists who bid against him at auctions. "We all know each other," says Eric Greenberg, 41, chief executive of Innovation Investments, a San Francisco dot-com investor. "We compete against each other, and then we drink together."

Yeah, that's a little bit different than me being at home alone watching Sports Center with a bottle of Mondavi or Jay Lohr. Just a little different.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

LINK

Among his Los Angeles wine friends are Univision Chief Financial Officer Andrew W. Hobson and investment banker Joe Wender, husband of California vintner Ann Colgin, as well as music industry executives and movie producers.

Kurniawan's social circle also includes the dozen bankers, real estate tycoons and venture capitalists who bid against him at auctions. "We all know each other," says Eric Greenberg, 41, chief executive of Innovation Investments, a San Francisco dot-com investor. "We compete against each other, and then we drink together."

Yeah, that's a little bit different than me being at home alone watching Sports Center with a bottle of Mondavi or Jay Lohr. Just a little different.

Next time you dine, ask your sommelier for a bottle of Cisco:

Quote:
Cisco is bottled by the nation's second largest wine company, Canandaigua Wine Co., in Canandaigua, NY and Naples, NY - the same company as Wild Irish Rose.

Known as "liquid crack," for its reputation for wreaking more mental havoc than the cheapest tequila. Something in this syrupy hooch seems to have a synapse-blasting effect not unlike low-grade cocaine. The label insists that the ingredients are merely "citrus wine & grape wine with artificial flavor & artificial color," but anyone who has tried it knows better. Tales of Cisco-induced semi-psychotic fits are common. Often, people on a Cisco binge end up curled into a fetal ball, shuddering and muttering paranoid rants. Nudity and violence may well be involved too. Everyone who drinks this feels great at first, and claims, "It's not bad at all, I like it." But, you really do not want to mess around with this one, because they all sing a different tune a few minutes later. And by tune, I mean the psychotic ramblings of a raging naked bum.

http://www.bumwine.com/cisco.html
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject:

If you are looking for a big, blow their socks off wine with spicy food, BBQ, red sauce, etc., try an Amarone.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject:

I don't have a price range, but something that won't break the bank.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
There are tons, best bet is to find a really good wine shop near you and pick the brain there of someone who has been in the industry for awhile.

Are you having the wine with dinner, are you looking for something that will enhance food or blow your friends away?

A wine that I can enjoy watching a TV show, Sportscenter, but not necessarily with dinner...
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A good red wine?

LarryCoon wrote:
Kobe8 wrote:

Thanks!

Domaine de la Romanee Conti is always a favorite for those pizza & poker nights, but at several thousand a bottle, you really gotta stay on a winnin' streak in the poker game, if 'ya know what I mean.

Seriously, what price range are you looking at, are you planning to have it with food (and if so, what food), and what kinds of red wine have you had and liked/disliked?

I've only tried the Cabernet Savignon (forgive me, I'm an amatuer).

I'm thinking of going to Temecula and doing the wine tasting thing. I've asked friends and bar tenders and they're dropping a name here and there. It's a bit overwhelming.

But I think I answered this in a previous thread, but I do not plan on drinking with food at this point.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, in addition to ruling it out for other reasons, a tannic wine like a Cab really needs food to stand up to it.

The first thing I'd suggest is playing with a Zin. Rancho Zabaco makes a Zin called Dancing Bull that's cheap (under $10), is a good drinking wine for the price, and available at most supermarkets (so you should be able to find it easily).

Try it, report back on what you liked/didn't like about it, and we can go from there.

BTW, most of my drinking is Zin, Pinot Noir and Bordeaux on the red side; and Sancerre on the white side -- although I do a lot of experimenting with other stuff.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Cool! I will report in less than a week! Thanks again!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

Kobe8 wrote:
Wino wrote:

A wine that I can enjoy watching a TV show, Sportscenter, but not necessarily with dinner...

For something fun, rich and tasty, how about Barrel 27. They have a Syrah that sells for under $15 and another Syrah that I think is blended with Grenache, they call it the Head Honcho and it sells for around $24.

Cabernet Sauvignon is harder to get great values these days but a few worth looking for are Leal, Sky Saddle and Matthews Claret. The Claret is a blend of five grapes based on Bordeaux varietals. They all cost somewhere in the $20-$25 range.

I still say the best advice I can give you, especially if you are still learning about wine is to find a good specialty wine shop in your area and find a clerk who you like and try a couple of things he suggests. If they suck, find another clerk. FWIW, I sell wine for a living.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject:

Southern Comfort

If you are in the Temecula area, South Coast Winery Resort & Spa

My friends who are wine freaks love the place.

Disclaimer: My uncle built, owns and runs the place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: