New Interview:Kobe does not want to be traded,but still wants changes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgl
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: New Interview:Kobe does not want to be traded,but still wants changes

His no trade clause is in effect for another 2 years,unless he waives it.

Small interview below,

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-bryant27may27,0,6373035.story?coll=la-home-sports

Twenty-four days later, No. 24 was still simmering.

Time has not tempered the frustration felt by the cornerstone of the Lakers' franchise, who has watched two key teammates — Kwame Brown and Lamar Odom — face medical issues that have thrust their off-season into doubt, as well as many trade possibilities for the team.

The Lakers that were seen at the end of the season might look a lot like those that return for the start of 2007-08, with some minor additions here and there. It isn't sitting well with Kobe Bryant.

"I want to see us get to a contending level," he said Saturday with firmness in his voice. "I want to see us become a championship contender. It's been a frustrating process for me and I'm sure it's been a frustrating process for all Laker fans. I'm just hoping we can get to that level. I'm still frustrated. I'm waiting for them to make some changes."

Bryant, though, didn't want to elaborate on what changes he thought could be made.

Bryant said Saturday he did not want to be traded. He has a no-trade clause in his contract for what is believed to be two more seasons, although he holds the right to waive it. He still has four years and $88.6 million left on his contract and has the option of terminating the contract in two years, which would leave a hefty $47.8 million on the table.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject:

You scared the (bleep) out of me because I overlooked the word not in the title
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject:

That word may not be there in a year if nothing happens this summer.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Plaschke thinks it's time to deal Kobe:

It's time to trade Bryant

The superstar keeps dropping bombs of disappointment, and it's becoming clear that he won't win another title with these Lakers.
8:35 PM PDT,May 26 2007

Can you hear him?

"I'm still frustrated."

Are you listening?

"I'm waiting for them to make some changes."

Do you understand what Kobe Bryant was saying Saturday in an interview with The Times' Mike Bresnahan?

Bryant is still frustrated even though the Lakers have had nearly a month to calm him.

Bryant is still demanding changes even though he knows surgeries to trade-worthy Kwame Brown and Lamar Odom will prevent them from making changes.

Can you hear him?

Kobe Bryant is asking the Lakers to soothe him beyond their ability, and trade beyond their resources.

Could it be that he is asking for something else entirely?

Could Kobe Bryant be asking for a trade without asking for a trade?

Sounds like it.

Sounds exactly like it.

Sounds like Bryant heard the expected bad news about Odom, the surprise bad news about Brown, the stunning lottery news that has Greg Oden and Kevin Durant coming to the Western Conference, and he knows.

He knows his chances of winning another championship here during his prime are now officially nearing zero.

He knows that the Lakers' best trade option this summer is now him.

He knows that if he publicly demands a trade, the Lakers would scold him and fans would skewer him.

So he continues to drop little bombs of dissatisfaction like he drops three-point shots, quick and unexpected and chilling.

Bryant clearly stated Saturday that he had not asked for a trade.

But those little bombs have finally backed the Lakers into a corner out of which the only exit is to trade him.

And you know something? It's time. They should do it. It hurts to even write the words. But they should do it.

Bryant is the most entertaining athlete in American sports, a perfect fit for America's entertainment capital.

But Los Angeles is also about winning. And the smart Lakers fans are about winning. And as constituted, the Lakers cannot get past the first round with Bryant, much less win a championship with him.

His high salary keeps them from getting a second superstar needed to win. Poor trades have left the lineup bereft of the top role players needed to win. And with Bryant on the floor, the Lakers will always be barely too good for a lottery draft pick needed to win.

What many fearfully suspected when Jerry Buss handed Bryant the franchise three years ago has been proven true.

Bryant has given Los Angeles fans wonderful moments, but, asked to carry an ordinary team, he cannot give them championship moments.

Given his understandable unhappiness, Bryant's most enduring value is now in the players that can be acquired for him.

Bryant began hinting at his unrest during the embarrassing playoff series against Phoenix, when I asked him about his desire to win another championship before age robs his ability.

"We definitely have to get to that elite level, and get to that elite level, like, now," he said then.

After his postseason meeting with Lakers bosses, he spoke again about wanting to be a champion again.

"I don't want to wait anymore than I already have," he said.

He drove home from the facility and waited around for good news and what happened? Nothing but bad.

Lamar Odom's shoulder surgery was as awful as expected, ended Odom's chances of being an attractive trade commodity this summer.

Kwame Brown's upcoming ankle surgery is feared to be worse than expected, also probably ending his chances of being traded.

Portland won the draft lottery and franchise center Oden, meaning they could be a playoff team next season.

Seattle won the second choice in the lottery, which it will certainly use on franchise scorer Durant, also changing their franchises.

Bryant saw all this, knew that the Lakers' immediate future has become even more hopeless, and what did he do?

When Bresnahan contacted him Saturday during a usually calm time in the NBA cycle, Bryant continued to cite his frustration, and continued to ask for change.

Bryant didn't ask for a trade because he is savvy enough to know that such a move would make him a villain again.

Instead, Bryant is seemingly trying to persuade the Lakers to do the one thing they would never, ever do on their own.

General Manager Mitch Kupchak has said hundreds of times that he would never trade Bryant. But if Kupchak thinks he doesn't have a choice?

He could make a deal and hint that Bryant was unhappy, thus relieving himself of the blame. Bryant could — and would — nullify his no-trade clause, thus supporting Kupchak's claim.

The Lakers could acquire another superstar and a couple of top draft picks, rebuild the team like it was once rebuilt with Shaquille O'Neal and Bryant, and everyone would be happy.

Kupchak would not talk about such a scenario. In fact, when contacted by Lakers officials on Saturday, the amiable Kupchak politely refused to do any sort of interview on the subject.

He said he had already answered these questions, and he was right.

The problem is, he has no answers.

About Bryant's frustration, Kupchak earlier said, "We feel exactly the same way."

About his off-season plans, Kupchak said, "We're going to be as aggressive as we've always been."

The answer, of course, would be to never trade Shaquille O'Neal, but Kupchak had no choice. If Bryant indeed feels the way he sounds, Kupchak has no choice again.

Critics will wail that it's all so unfair and unseemly. Critics will say that once again, the Lakers are bowing to the mantra that what Kobe wants, Kobe gets.

Only this time, Kobe is right.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject:

They won't do it this year and quite frankly, I don't trust anyone in the front office to do a competent job of it if it does come down to it next summer.

Of course, they won't have to worry about what Phil thinks because he'd be gone as a coach, but between Jimmy and Mitch, there's still enough to screw things up.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject:

If it does come down to it, it would not suprise me in the least to see Kobe just walk in 09. The front office will be too gunshy to try and do another trade of that magnitude, so they'll freeze up next summer. They'll try and pitch the promise of capspace and building another dynasty. In the meantime, Kobe leaves for Charlotte, who will have the cap space and the infrastructure all set, just waiting for a superstar to complete the puzzle and rule the East.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Plaschke is a moron.

Kobe is pissed and has every right to be. When he signed with the Lakers, he was promised that a championship contending team would be built around him after Shaq was traded. Chucky Atkins, Smush Parker, Sasha Vujacic, Brian Cook, Aaron McKie, and Vlade Divac do not constitute keeping that promise. He and Phil are putting the heat on Mitch for screwing up for so long.

Now Plaschke is going to suggest trading Kobe instead of going after the real problem (Mitch's dumb behind).
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Kobe should really read LG. He'll realize that Mitch is a frigging genius, and that it was only the injury bug that kept us from being championship contenders.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Plaschke is a moron.

Kobe is pissed and has every right to be. When he signed with the Lakers, he was promised that a championship contending team would be built around him after Shaq was traded. Chucky Atkins, Smush Parker, Sasha Vujacic, Brian Cook, Aaron McKie, and Vlade Divac do not constitute keeping that promise. He and Phil are putting the heat on Mitch for screwing up for so long.

Now Plaschke is going to suggest trading Kobe instead of going after the real problem (Mitch's dumb behind).

It's not all that surprising really. Gotta take the easiest route possible.

Keep Kobe and try and do something crazy like build a contender? Nah. Too hard. Requires smart trades, signings, drafts.

Throw up your hands, shrug and just trade the best player on the planet? Ahhh! Now we're talking! Picks! Cap space! Small contracts! Expiring contracts! Hey folks! We'll be back real soon! Look at all the mystery boxes we have! They could turn out to be great things! You can trust us. Look at what we've done so far! We're a young team! You can't judge this trade now. You have to look at it in 2 years! Remember that one? Well, we're bringing it back again! Just like pogs!

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
. In the meantime, Kobe leaves for Charlotte, who will have the cap space and the infrastructure all set, just waiting for a superstar to complete the puzzle and rule the East.

Its full circle he returns to the city that traded him for Vlade Divac(okay so it was the Hornets that drafted him) and unites with Jordan. Gawd I hope that doesn't happen. I mean he does realize that Jordan was the genius that drafted Kwame Brown to begin with...
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Plaschke is a moron.

Bring in Jerry West, bring in the San Antonio front office, bring in the best minds in basketball..... What difference does it make when the Buss family makes the decisions. Why do you think the Lakers have kept Mitch around? Because he's insignificant. He's their number cruncher, nothig more. Haven't you guys gotten it already? Does someone actually have to spell it out? No dominant decision maker will be hired, this is JIM BUSS' freaking team.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
. In the meantime, Kobe leaves for Charlotte, who will have the cap space and the infrastructure all set, just waiting for a superstar to complete the puzzle and rule the East.

Its full circle he returns to the city that traded him for Vlade Divac(okay so it was the Hornets that drafted him) and unites with Jordan. Gawd I hope that doesn't happen. I mean he does realize that Jordan was the genius that drafted Kwame Brown to begin with...

Jordan isn't the GM this time around.

How about this lineup:

Okafor
May
Gerald Wallace
Kobe
Felton

They would still have the cap space to sign him to a nice contract and that's with those guys being extended where applicable and with Wallace on a new contract.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject:

^ No but he's part owner which can't be that great either.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't matter. The players are already there.

As a part owner, the only thing MJ has done is not show up, which isn't a bad thing, and express no interest in signing VC.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Runway8,

We haven't made any "dominant" trades....what makes you think we need a dominant decision maker? We just need someone who knows the difference between a talented player and a pile of horse dung.

Laker7
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject:

I hope Kobe didn't expect changes to be made this soon. If this was Sept. I would understand, but players can't be moved yet.

If he's that pissed, Kupchak needs to talk to him to let him know who they are going after. Maybe that would help. He doesn't need Kobe's approval, but keeping him informed of the process would be a big help.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:
I hope Kobe didn't expect changes to be made this soon. If this was Sept. I would understand, but players can't be moved yet.

If he's that pissed, Kupchak needs to talk to him to let him know who they are going after. Maybe that would help. He doesn't need Kobe's approval, but keeping him informed of the process would be a big help.

Like I said, I think Kobe and Phil are keeping pressure on Mitch to do something. Public comments like this are one way to do it.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:

He didn't say that he expected moves by now, just that moves had to be made this summer.

I'm hoping against hope that moves are made, but at the same time, I'm getting to a point where I would not be surprised to see the classic quotes at the end of the summer. There's too much infighting right now for any decisions to be made.
Pappy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject:

well, Mith said when kobe first made his statement, he was frustrrated and would soon calm down. I guess two things have happened, kobe hasnt calmed down and Mitch doesnt know Kobe very well!

one thing i like about Jim Buss is, at least he's talkin reality wether changes will come or not, Mitch and his magic wand seems too be just pissen in the wind!
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject:

What exactly has little Jimmy said that would be considered talking reality?
hitmankb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Why would kobe want to be traded to any other team? If he was, the other teams best Player or Players would come to LA, leaving kobe with NO supporting cast!

Plaschke is an Idiot!

Im all for getting Artest IF possible, Resigning a HEALTHY (if possible) Mihm, and using the MLE for a PG..
AllorNothing on Ron Artest
Quote:
He should be let go of his contract by the Kings to pursue a topnotch psychiatrist in LA.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject:

hitmankb wrote:
Why would kobe want to be traded to any other team? If he was, the other teams best Player or Players would come to LA, leaving kobe with NO supporting cast!

Plaschke is an Idiot!

Im all for getting Artest IF possible, Resigning a HEALTHY (if possible) Mihm, and using the MLE for a PG..

Sorta like how the Raptors got New Jersay's best player when they traded VC or how Philly got Denver's best player when they traded AI?

If Kobe's no trade clause is still in effect, then the Lakers are screwed on many fronts.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject:

I just don't see how things will "improve" this summer, considering that Kwame (likely their only bargaining piece) is having surgery....
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject:

Plaschke went all the out way to think for Kobe. Kobe's true intention was this and that. Kobe wants a big trade. Oh, sure. Like Plaschke has any crediblity. This kind of writing, to skew and spin matters to only portray what the writers deem to be true, is disgusting.
Terry_Teagle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject:

Kobe still frustrated...WOW that's a shocker! Don't expect his attitude to change until some attempts at improving are made.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: