How Do I Get Rid of Spyware?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: How Do I Get Rid of Spyware?

Ok, so first off, I'm an idiot.... I downloaded the "new" version of the yahoo toolbar to my computer about a month ago because it said it need to be updated. I was like ok fine. Next thing I know Ive got pop-up adds coming outta my ass! And if I try to google anything, half the time the link gets redirected to some stupid site that I dont want.

I have McAfee SecurityCenter and Windows Defender both doing daily full scans of my computer, yet the pop-ups remain. I ask you, my fellow LGers, how in the holy name of god can I make this stop?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject:

adaware

spybot

start with those
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject:

I had the same exact thing happen to me I linked to the latest Rambo trailer and got 7 trojan viruses and spyware. I cleared out the viruses with AVG anti virus software and I upgraded to IE 7 and installed windows defender and updated adaware and did a scan. Still there was one spyware file I could not get rid of it it was zeno search spyware it would redirect my web pages to some other sites and give me frequent pop ups. Then I installed Microsoft process explorer and saw a background process that will try to connect to a host server to install that crap on my PC and deleted the thing of my PC I recommend that software to anybody its like a strong task manager.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx
Ndn Guy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject:

i would also like to recommend 2 more programs i like Pest Patrol from CA, and Spyware blaster. if you still get some pop ups i would also suggest a program called Hijack this, all the info on these programs can be found on www.majorgeeks.com
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject:

Hire George Tenet. He will suck up to the spyware sources, and render their product completely useless.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:

spyware blaster

adware

and spybot are the good first starts, as others here have mentioned.

Also, if you use IE, go to this Web site:

doxdesk.com/parasite/

It will check your system for you, and if it finds things it will tell you how to get rid of all of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject:

If your PC hasn't been re-installed for a while, a clean reinstall of windows is an option too. Depending on what virus/trojan or even rootkits, its possible it won't be able to clean everything.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
If your PC hasn't been re-installed for a while, a clean reinstall of windows is an option too. Depending on what virus/trojan or even rootkits, its possible it won't be able to clean everything.
When I was using a PC I would do that once every 3 months (although the re-installing of the service packs SUCKED... that took longer than the actual install).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Spy Sweeper by Webroot is awesome. If you're just trying to kill off one or two things, you can probably get away with just one spyware app, but generally I would advise people to have at least 2 or 3 on hand, because no one product can cover every piece of spyware out there.
EJ8VTEC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject:

I recommend Zone Alarm

However if you have annoying programs starting up when u turn on your computer and you dont know how to stop them from running in the backround(causing pop-ups at times):
Go to start menu
Select Run
Type msconfig and hit enter
By going to the start tab on the top you can select which progs run at startup or by going to services you can select which programs are currently running
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Ok, so I added Ad-adware which has seemed to help. I'm no longer redirected to another page when i google something. However, I still get pop-ups. I only get pop-ups when i have an internet window open, not at any other time. And nothing at start up. And for some reason, if I leave my computer on for a few days the pop-ups will stop after like a day of having it on. But once i restart my computer again it just all starts again.
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Did u do scans with ad-aware and spybot?
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject:

The_Lakers_Show wrote:
Ok, so I added Ad-adware which has seemed to help. I'm no longer redirected to another page when i google something. However, I still get pop-ups. I only get pop-ups when i have an internet window open, not at any other time. And nothing at start up. And for some reason, if I leave my computer on for a few days the pop-ups will stop after like a day of having it on. But once i restart my computer again it just all starts again.

If its at start up use the msconfig to see if anything is a background process that should not be there at startup or use the sysinternal process explorer in my original post to see if something is running that doesn't belong. Post the files that are running I will tell you if they belong or not if you need help with that as well. You have some lingering .exe file that is running in the background that even adaware can't get rid of.
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject:

PROPHET wrote:
The_Lakers_Show wrote:

If its at start up use the msconfig to see if anything is a background process that should not be there at startup or use the sysinternal process explorer in my original post to see if something is running that doesn't belong. Post the files that are running I will tell you if they belong or not if you need help with that as well. You have some lingering .exe file that is running in the background that even adaware can't get rid of.

Yeah, thanx man. Check your PMs.

As I said, nothin at startup. Its only when I'm on the internet.
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject:

Also keep in mind the netstat command. It shows any open connections from or to your computer. If something's in there connecting to something else, you want to know about it.

To run it, open a command window (or do Start/Run.... and type netstat. There are command line arguments that are useful, do netstat -? to see them. For instance, netstat -b shows the name of the executable that owns each open connection.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject:

The_Lakers_Show wrote:
PROPHET wrote:
The_Lakers_Show wrote:

Yeah, thanx man. Check your PMs.

As I said, nothin at startup. Its only when I'm on the internet.

I PM'd you back but in case you don't see it...

ViewMgr.exe
This will make a connection to the internet on its own. Its considered malware and will connect to the internet on its own I would remove it I would do a little more research on it but it sounds useless its loaded with some AOL stuff. I would remove it the big one is below..

http://ask-leo.com/viewmgrexe.html

mstc.exe

Are you sure about the spelling on this one this is a Trojan virus remove immediately do a search on your computer for this file all drives and delete every instance of this file! Also go to start >run>msconfig uncheck this to run from startup this is no good! Run and scan for this virus make sure your Anit virus is updated!

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/mstc

SPUVolumeWatcher.exe

I don’t like this disable at startup I don’t think it poses a threat but I would not start it at startup go to start >run>msconfig uncheck this to run from startup…
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject:

I deleted all 3 that you suggested PROPHET, and thank you very much, unfortuanatly the pop-ups still persist!!! SOB!!!!!!!

Its basically just down to when I'm active on the Internet. If I'm idle, then no pop-ups, if I dont have a web window open, no pop-ups.

If I'm on the web looking around or reading something, I'll get a pop-up every few minutes.
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject:

The_Lakers_Show wrote:
I deleted all 3 that you suggested PROPHET, and thank you very much, unfortuanatly the pop-ups still persist!!! SOB!!!!!!!

Its basically just down to when I'm active on the Internet. If I'm idle, then no pop-ups, if I dont have a web window open, no pop-ups.

If I'm on the web looking around or reading something, I'll get a pop-up every few minutes.

Do you use any third party software like Kazaa or other downloading software? That is what will kill you. If you have that, even pop up blasters will not work. The best bet is to get rid of that troublesome software first, completely gut it (including any add-ons it brings with it).
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject:

The_Lakers_Show wrote:

Well you said this happened after Yahoo tool Bar was installed on your browser did you configure it to stop the pop ups? Click the green button and enter add/edit. Put the pop blocker on the bar and save. Then turn it on.

Another way to test is to download Mozilla and see if you're still getting the same pop ups...
BallerAli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject:

damn spyware
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject:

If I ever meet someone who makes this (bleep), I'm going to punch them in the neck....
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject:

The_Lakers_Show wrote:
If I ever meet someone who makes this (bleep), I'm going to punch them in the neck....

Not the same thing, but this is also good news:

"Spam King"/"Seattle Spammer" arrested
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:

Had the same problem a few weeks or months ago... Was driving me crazy!!! The pop-ups are gone but I'm still dealing with the rest of the spyware that i have installed in my computer... Getting help from an online forum... Pretty reliable since they've helped me numerous times in the pass but some how my family likes to click on every little thing that they see online and BAM there's the spyware! Let me know if you would like the site

ALPHA ~ LakerSanity ~ 24 ~ Exick ~ ElginBaylor ~ TheBigRuski ~ re4ee ~ JerryMagicKobe ~ mbloves L.A. ~ unggoy ~ encina1~ Jesseca328 ~ phayze one ~ Flo'z
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Jesseca328 wrote:
Had the same problem a few weeks or months ago... Was driving me crazy!!! The pop-ups are gone but I'm still dealing with the rest of the spyware that i have installed in my computer... Getting help from an online forum... Pretty reliable since they've helped me numerous times in the pass but some how my family likes to click on every little thing that they see online and BAM there's the spyware! Let me know if you would like the site

I would love the site gracias!
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?s=8b084e25a340d5b16b78e983ec04fe9f&showforum=9

right there my friend... they've always come through and helped me out with my computer problems...

ALPHA ~ LakerSanity ~ 24 ~ Exick ~ ElginBaylor ~ TheBigRuski ~ re4ee ~ JerryMagicKobe ~ mbloves L.A. ~ unggoy ~ encina1~ Jesseca328 ~ phayze one ~ Flo'z
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: