Lakers Should Be Scared of Portland (and Greg Oden Has Little To Do With It)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Lakers Should Be Scared of Portland (and Greg Oden Has Little To Do With It)

I felt that this heavily relates what we should REALLY think about when it comes to Kobe. If we have a REALISTIC chance to win a title within the next three years, we need to do that and help Kobe. However, if that's not a truly realistic option, we need to start rebuilding now. Portland is FREAKING loaded. Look at this team...

PG - Jarret Jack/Sergio Rodriquez/Taurean Green
SG - Brandon Roy/Steve Francis
SF - Travis Outlaw/Martell Webster/Demetris Nichols/Darius Miles
PF - LaMarcus Aldridge/Josh McRoberts/Raef Lafrentz
C - Greg Oden/Channing Frye/Joel Pryzbilla

Could you ask for a better rebuilding plan?

1. They have MAJOR young prospects TWO DEEP at every position but SG.
2. In two years (2009) Lafrentz and Francis come off the books to the tune of $30 million dollars. This means, aside from all these young prospects, they have $30 million in expiring contracts they can move next summer. Sign and trade for guys like Arenas or Brand?
3. Then they have Petteri Koponen and Rudy Fernandez overseas developing for the next year or two.... not saying they will be this good, but anyone remember Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli? They also have Joel Freeland from last year's draft overseas.

We just need to be really careful with what we do from hear both regarding the present and the future, or we could be stuck in the cellar for a while.

That roster is almost hard to look at....it looks like a fantasy line-up of what I would do to rebuild a team, yet that's the team they have.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost

Last edited by LakerSanity on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject:

exactly...look league...Lakers can't contend with that..

hire kevin pritchard as OUR GM....
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. That team would be fun to play for.
xtrememode
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject:

You forgot...they also acquired Rudy Fernandez...they are 3 deep at every position.
Siguy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Don't forget the Sonics who have less depth but are just as frightening. And the fast-mutating Golden State Warriors, conference final Jazz, and unchanged but still formidable Rockets.

There are now 13 playoff teams in the Western Conference and only 8 actually get in. I have trouble believing we're in that top 8 at this point.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject:

the lakers shouldn't be afraid of their squad, it's pritchard they should fear. granted they were fortunate with winning the top lotto pick, but pritchard has vision and he's bold - two things in life you need to be successful. we have the antithesis to pritchard, mitch. i'm all for loyalty, and i'm sure buss feels that toward mitch, because he was offered other positon when he was an asst. gm under west and he stayed on board, but maybe we would've been more fortunate if he would've taken one of those jobs. honestly, i don't think we win a series with the knicks right now, after them picking up randolf.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject:

It's too late to rebuild to compete with that team. Even if it wasn't, the Lakers don't have a front office capable of catching up.

Barring something freakishly lucky, this team won't be competing until around 2015 or so.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject:

oh please, kevin pritchard cant fix our team.. Its easy to draft good players when you have high lottery picks and an owner who's open to spending money any way he pleases.

Wanna be like the Blazers? Trade Kobe and sacrifice a couple of seasons.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject:

I wouldnt mind tradeing Kobe for a young undevloped players and 1sts and cap-space...

Drew/Kwame/Gasol
______/Ronny/
Odom/
________/Evans/Yue
Farmar/JC/Sasha

Trade Kobe for a young PF and SG and suck for a couple years
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Whoa?! Josh McRoberts is going to Portland? I can't believe Portland has two of our local products! I expect to see a lot more Blazers gear being sold around here than the Pacers stuff they try to give away these days.

And maybe some gear for whatever team Conley Jr. plays for.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
oh please, kevin pritchard cant fix our team.. Its easy to draft good players when you have high lottery picks and an owner who's open to spending money any way he pleases.

you realize the rookie of the year was the wolves pick, he traded his pick for that pick, panned out pretty well, he did win rookie of the year. same with the hawks. same with lemarcus, the bulls picked him and pricthard traded his pick for him. there is some thought process involved in picking players. if it was just a matter of being in the lottery, the hawks and clippers both would've won championships by now.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject:

xtrememode wrote:
You forgot...they also acquired Rudy Fernandez...they are 3 deep at every position.

No, I wrote about him and Koponen below the roster. Those two will be overseas next year along with last year's international pick, Joel Freeland.

pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Do people really think Mitch is in control of our plans for the future?

He's not a great deal closer for sure, but I'm thinking the problem is a bit higher than Mitch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:

The Spurs seemed to do just fine re-building around a superstar without lottery picks or being fiscally irresponsible. So it can be done from scratch, like the Blazers, or on the fly, like the Spurs.

But even beyond that, the Blazers were in disarray for years. Pritchard came in and cleaned up the mess and now the team is running well. That is what professional management does for a team.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

you realize the rookie of the year was the wolves pick, he traded his pick for that pick, panned out pretty well, he did win rookie of the year. same with the hawks. same with lemarcus, the bulls picked him and pricthard traded his pick for him. there is some thought process involved in picking players. if it was just a matter of being in the lottery, the hawks and clippers both would've won championships by now.

I never criticized pricthard. I just dont think its fair when people are comparing mitch to him. Its not as if mitch has much to work with.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Scared of Portland???

How about the Mavs? Suns? Spurs?

Some of you are worried about the future that you are forgetting the present.

The Lakers are in trouble because of the FO.

A great GM makes all of the difference in the world.

I don't know how anyone can criticize Kobe when you see what a great GM can do.

Yes, the Blazers got lucky with lottery. But, Kupchak was placed in a similar position when he took over a team with Shaq and Kobe.

However, he proceeded to make moves (ie. JR Rider, Samaki Walker, etc.) which made him the 23rd best GM in the NBA.

Kupchak is terrible.
SladeRider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject:

I don't know how much of this is true but it's being reported on local radio in Portland that they got trade exception from the Randolph trade and have used it to bring in James Jones from the Suns, that adds some depth to the small forward position too if true.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Next year, the only teams in the West I am sure of that are out of the playoffs will be the Clippers, Hornets, Kings, Sonics, and Wolves. Clippers could be improved, but I doubt it knowing them because Cassel will be even worse. Hornets are the same team basically. Kings will be worse once they trade Bibby and Artest. Sonics will be entertaining, but that team will struggle, especially because it has no defense. Wolves will be the same as well and worse if they lose KG.

If the Lakers don't upgrade anything, to me, we will be competing with the Blazers, Warriors, and Grizzlies for the 7th and 8th spot. I think the top 6 next year will be the same top 6 as last year...the Nuggets should be improved simply by reason of them playing together longer and health.

Grizzlies will have a healthy Pau Gasol the whole season...Rudy Gay should be improved and Conley will help. Warriors could take a step back because they lost Richardson and depending on Baron's health. Blazers will struggle some, but also surprise some people. We could take a step forward on health alone.

Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

I never criticized pricthard. I just dont think its fair when people are comparing mitch to him. Its not as if mitch has much to work with.

i know you didn't, i'm just at my wits end. we're stuck in quicksand, and we're sinking fast.
goldenarmor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Miles' career in all likelihood is done. As for Oden and Aldridge, well we've faced and beaten a twin tower combination before.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Scared of Portland???

How about the Mavs? Suns? Spurs?

Some of you are worried about the future that you are forgetting the present.

The Lakers are in trouble because of the FO.

A great GM makes all of the difference in the world.

I don't know how anyone can criticize Kobe when you see what a great GM can do.

Yes, the Blazers got lucky with lottery. But, Kupchak was placed in a similar position when he took over a team with Shaq and Kobe.

However, he proceeded to make moves (ie. JR Rider, Samaki Walker, etc.) which made him the 23rd best GM in the NBA.

Kupchak is terrible.

Yet his draft picks aren't bad. Not sure if he was responsible for most of the team's draft picks since he's been here, but they've gotten pretty good talent .

However, he did trade Shaq for absolutely nothing and is about to trade Kobe for probably the same thing.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

The Spurs seemed to do just fine re-building around a superstar without lottery picks or being fiscally irresponsible. So it can be done from scratch, like the Blazers, or on the fly, like the Spurs.

But even beyond that, the Blazers were in disarray for years. Pritchard came in and cleaned up the mess and now the team is running well. That is what professional management does for a team.

Exactly RG. Watch out for that guy Presti in Seattle also. He is going to make things happen.

Mitch just seems completely unable to negotiate, handle and finalize a deal.

Right now, he is brutal.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject:

goldenarmor wrote:
Miles' career in all likelihood is done. As for Oden and Aldridge, well we've faced and beaten a twin tower combination before.

Yes but the Lakers were contenders when that happened the only leftover from that team is Kobe.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject:

The thing is...Portland will be good now AND in the future. The only trade out there, which I believe makes us better now WHILE preserving our future is one for Ron Artest giving up only Kwame.

J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
exactly...look league...Lakers can't contend with that..

hire kevin pritchard as OUR GM....

Portland hasn't made the playoffs in four seasons, hasn't been to the finals in 16 years and hasn't won a title in 30 years. They've had a long list of lottery picks and happened to luck out into getting the #1 pick this season. They should have a good young core.

I'm not sold on their team though. I think Oden is not going to be as good as a lot of people are projecting him to be. He's an all-star, but I'm not sure about a superstar. Brandon Roy is very solid player, who was NBA ready and had a great rookie season. I don't see him as a superstar either though, he's probably going to be an all-star though. Having those two together will make them a strong team. IMO Travis Outlaw and Martell Webster aren't going to be anything more than average players. Alridge could go either way, he could turn into a pretty good player down the road, but it's kind of amusing how people here call Bynum a bust and then in the next breath are high on Alridge.

Bynum at 19:
7.8 points (55.8% fg), 5.9 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 0.1 steals, 1.6 blocks, 3.0 fouls in 21.9 minutes

Alridge at 21:
9.0 points (50.3% fg), 5.0 rebounds, 0.4 assists, 0.3 steals, 1.2 blocks, 3.0 fouls in 22.1 minutes

Alridge is 27 months older than Bynum with more experience. He's not going to grow any bigger or get more athletic. Alridge can improve his game, but Bynum has a lot more room for improvement yet he is as good of a scorer (shoots a higher percentage, puts up similar points with less touches), is a better rebounder, better passer, and better shot blocker. And he did that playing on a winning team as opposed to a lottery team. Lot of people are disapointed in Bynum (which IMO is unrealistic) but I see a ton of people who are high on Alridge. IMO Alridge most likely is an average/above average player, who has the potential to be an all-star, but I don't see it happening.

Portland has a lot of young talent, but all of this talk about a future dynasty is way premature. Unless both Roy and Oden turn into superstars, they are going to need more than what they have. The thing they have working for them is that they will have a ton of cap space in two years If they can entice a big name player or two with that, then the rest of the league should start worrying. That would all depend on who actually goes on the market that summer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: