LAKERS -vs- BUCKS - 7/8 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings (Lite)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- BUCKS - 7/8 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings (Lite)

Critt for the Win... The score was tied 64-64 with 1:34 left. Both teams struggled on several possessions, including the Bucks missing two FTs. With 14.6 seconds left and the score still the same, the Lakers got the ball in the hands of Farmar. He wheeled around the perimeter, drew the D and kicked out to Crittenton, who sank the 21-footer from the wing with just over a second left in the game.

The game winning shot capped off an impressive start to the Vegas SPL for Javaris. Teammate Jordan Farmar struggled with one of his worst games as a pro. Coby Karl scored 10 points and Rodney White added 12.

I wasn't planning on putting together a Thoughts and Ratings, but here's a look at three of the key players:

Crittenton -- -- Laker fans got to see a glimpse of why Crittenton was thought of as a lottery pick. His explosion to the rim, his versatility, some strong D and the clutch ability that he showed often at GT is his only season. What they didn't get to see yet was some of the more spectacular passing he can come up with. With the Lakers stuck in mud early in the game, Crittenton came off the bench and provided instant spark on both ends of the court. The tempo changed noticeably. He was quick to push the ball up or hit an open man down court. Critt's instincts to hit the open man quickly after getting the ball loosened up the Tri to where the team sometimes just winged it and played ball. Triangle execution is always, without fail, miserable in the first SPL game. Javaris played at both the 1 and 2 spots. Three of his first four makes were dunks, showing his athleticism with a reverse jam out of the gates. He scored 18 points on 8-13 shooting (0-2 from three, a poor 2-6 from the line), he grabbed 4 boards (2 offensive), dished 2 assists without a turnover in 25 minutes. Defensively, he was called for only 3 fouls (two very late in the game), he had 2 steals and 1 blocked shot. He caused a turnover in the backcourt pressuring his man as soon as he entered the game. He read a pass, jumped the lane, swiped it and took it for a dunk. He scored a putback after crashing the glass. He pressured his man on the perimeter, stripped him with an excellent reach and took it the distance for another dunk. At the end of the half, they ran an iso play for Critt. He took the clock down, attacked off the screen to his right, crossed up a defender badly and threw down a monster dunk...this was a get-off-your-couch dunk if you were watching a regular Laker game. He hit a pull-up jumper from about 17 feet straight away. He got back in transition and blocked his man's layup attempt. He took another 17-footer that looked like it might have been tipped in or that he got a lucky bounce (hard to tell on the small screen). He worked the two-man game on the right wing, attacked and banked in a layup in some traffic. To start the fourth, he attacked the baseline, drew the D and fed in traffic to Johnson for FTs. He attacked off the pinch post on the right side, pulling the dribble out wide, then charging toward the hoop for FTs, he made both. Excellent Tri read, cutting quickly as the ball was swung to the pinch post, he took the bouncepass in stride and drew a foul, he missed both FTs. He missed a couple of long jumpers up against the shotclock. He nailed a catch and shoot wing jumper from the college three line. He pushed up the break and hit Karl, who scored off a couple dribbles. He ballwatched and got backdoored for a dunk. He was called for a foul trying to swat his man on the drive. Then with the game tied and both teams struggling to score for the last minute and a half, Critt took the Farmar kickout and drained the 21-foot game winner with a second left on the clock.

Farmar -- -- The statline pretty much reflected the poor game Farmar had. It looked like Farmar was trying to be the guy who got everyone into the Triangle and running the offense. Unfortunately, this made for some real stiff offensive execution early on. Farmar rarely tried to impose himself on the attack, instead setting for jumpers. Last year, he was much more aggressive on and off the ball, which made for some very efficient play within the Tri. Today, he wasn't playing with as many experienced Tri players as he was last year (Green, Bynum, Wafer) and that may have affected some of his game. But clearly that wasn't enough to justify the poor numbers: 5 points on 1-8 from the field, 1-5 from three, 2-4 from the line, 6 turnovers with just 1 assist, 7 fouls and 5 boards in 27 minutes. He was missing from the perimeter throughout the game, including and airball pull up, fading jumper from the FT line. He had a nice steal, stripping the ball under the hoop and throwing it back in bounds. He swiped the ball on the perimeter, took it the distance and was hit from behind as he was going up for a dunk, dangerous play by Greer. Nice curl off the dribble to get into the lane and he set Turner up for FTs. He missed an iso three at the end of the third quarter. Late in the game, he attacked off the dribble, took some contact and lost the ball for a key turnover. He got called for a flagrant foul, giving up two FTs plus the ball late in the game...amazingly the Bucks didn't get a point. He got stripped on a bustout after Turner blocked a shot. Farmar got his lone assist of the night on the final play. He took a pinch post handoff with a little bit of difficulty, reversed court on the dribble, drew the D and kicked to Critt for the game-winning jumper.

Karl -- -- Not a bad game in his first outing. He scored 10 points on 4-7 shooting (1-3 from three), had 1 board, 1 assist, 5 fouls, 1 steal and 2 turnovers. The Lakers signed him because of his read-and-react, Tri friendly skills. Some of that was on display, but his game didn't quite have the edge to it within the offense that it should. Keep an eye on whether his game improves as the overall team execution improves. He hit a jumper. He finished a long give-and-go with a layup. He drained a three from the wing with a defender challenging him. He hit a cutter backdoor with an excellent one-handed pass off the dribble. He found Farmar for a three. He took a drive and kick from Crittenton in transition, attacked and banked in a score.

Here's the link to the archived game:

LINK
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Jarvis!!!!! D-Wade on crack... anyone, anyone??
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather read your recaps than fastforward through the game itself.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

That first quarter was hell until Critt came in the game. The last minute and a half was damn ugly, too, until the game winner. The Tri execution is always gawd awful in these first SPL games.
hitmankb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Bynum wasnt playing?
AllorNothing on Ron Artest
Quote:
He should be let go of his contract by the Kings to pursue a topnotch psychiatrist in LA.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject:

god i've missed these reports.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That first quarter was hell until Critt came in the game. The last minute and a half was damn ugly, too, until the game winner. The Tri execution is always gawd awful in these first SPL games.

No joke. I left the chat to get better connection, only to see the poorly executed triangle put me to sleep. I pulled up the play by play and watch Java's highlights.

Haven't had a talent like this since Bryant. Young. Near elitely athletic. Great size. Every kind of NBA skill needed. Just need to put it all together.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject:

DB, nice to have some laker games, and even nicer to have some of your stellar recaps.

thanks as always.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject:

hitmankb wrote:
Bynum wasnt playing?

No, Bynum is not in this SPL.

Two reasons possibly why:

1. It's very rare that the Lakers have asked a player to play three straight summer leagues.

2. It's possible that they don't want an injury or him to lay an egg and lower trade value.

Maybe there's a third reason that I can't think of but I wasn't expecting him to play...even though some other teams have guys play three years.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. I always look forward to your post game analysis.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Haven't had a talent like this since Bryant. Young. Near elitely athletic. Great size. Every kind of NBA skill needed. Just need to put it all together.

Thanks for the recap DB!
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Let's see JC string a couple more of these solid efforts together throughout the SPL.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject:

The summer just got a whole lot better thanks to DB!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks for sitting through that ugly game and giving us the good stuff! I tried to watch it on my computer, but with no announcer and a fuzzy, dark, grainy picture, I settled for reading comments in the chat room.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject:

NBA.com summary

Quote:
Crittenton’s Winner Lifts Lakers over Bucks
By Dennis Rogers
Posted Jul 9 2007 2:06AM

L.A. Lakers 66, Milwaukee 64

LAS VEGAS, July 8 -- Los Angeles Lakers’ rookie guard Javaris Crittenton made a big impression in his NBA-debut Sunday evening, splashing home the game-winning shot with 1.7 seconds left to give the Lakers a 66-64 win over the Milwaukee Bucks.

“It felt great (marking the shot),” Crittenton said about the game-winner. “Jordan (Farmar) got great penetration and found me for the open shot. I’m glad it went in, it was great to get the win.”

The Bucks had a chance to win the game on a Noel Felix heave from half-court, but his shot bounced off the back rim. On the prior Bucks possession, Awvee Story missed two free throws after a flagrant foul by Farmar, and then Lynn Greer’s lay-up attempt was blocked by Larry Turner.

The Lakers were led by Crittenton’s 18 points (8-13 FG) as he displayed the lightening quick speed and high-rise ability that made him the 19th pick in the 2007 NBA Draft out of Georgia Tech. Rodney White chipped in 12 points (4-8 FG) and three rebounds, while Coby Karl had 10 points (4-7 FG) in 28 minutes of action.

“It’s been pretty good, I’m learning a lot,” Crittenton said of his time with the Lakers. “I ran the triangle in high school; the transitions are coming along fine.”

Noel paced the Bucks with 16 points (6-13 FG) and six rebounds, while Greer had 13 points (4-15 FG), four rebounds and four assists in 29 minutes of play.

There were seven lead changes and seven ties in the game, with the biggest lead being 10 points for the Lakers at 41-31 with 8:02 left in the third quarter.

NOTES: Bucks’ forward Charlie Villanueva was in attendance
LongtimeLakerLover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject:

Wow - loved seeing the ) again.

Good news with Crittenton. Let's see if he can keep it up and then, if he can play with the big boys.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject:

Good stuff.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks as always, DB, for the recap. It's good to hear how well Crittenton played in his first game. I believe the game on Tuesday night is on NBA TV.

Last edited by BigE32 on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject:

thanks DB, do you think Rodney White has a chance to make the team?
golden1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! You do a great service for us who missed the game.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject:

the feed was too grainy for me to actually watch it. Can anyone give me an idea on his speed? Is Kobe like speed? Is it arenas like speed? wade speed? Parker speed?
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject:

(posted the day before the draft)

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
i would rather have Javaris Crittenton at #19

limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject:

Crittenton, congrats, nice game.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject:

The thing that I liked the most when I saw Crittenton's stat line was the fact that he didn't have any turnovers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: