LAKERS -vs- BUCKS - 7/8 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings (Lite)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Other than the missed FTs, Javaris played with real confidence. Even more so than Farmar last year. The explosiveness and ability to change direction are all there on offense. Someone mentioned a comparison with Baron Davis. I don't think Javaris is at that level -- not yet anyways -- but he made a nice showing for himself. He does remind me of someone, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe a more-in-control Ricky Davis, with true PG instincts?

I'l ponder this.

SGH

Closest thing I can think of is Monta Ellis but playmaking. It's not even that much of a stretch to see Steve Francis stick out. He doesn't gun like Ben Gordon. He doesn't have the shot selection of Baron Davis. He's got some hoop IQ out there off-the-ball.

It's impressive.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject:

lakerstan wrote:

Then I saw Bill Bertka just sitting by himself. I went up to him and said "Hey coach, would you please sign my program - It's an honor to meet you". I tell you - he was the friendliest guy. He gave me a great big smile like I just made his day. As I looked down and watched him sign my program, I saw his championship ring on his hand. Bertka and championships....ah, the good old days.

LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I'd rather read your recaps than fastforward through the game itself.

That first quarter was hell until Critt came in the game. The last minute and a half was damn ugly, too, until the game winner. The Tri execution is always gawd awful in these first SPL games.

No joke. I left the chat to get better connection, only to see the poorly executed triangle put me to sleep. I pulled up the play by play and watch Java's highlights.

Haven't had a talent like this since Bryant. Young. Near elitely athletic. Great size. Every kind of NBA skill needed. Just need to put it all together.

Yep! Now I'm eager to see if he shows some consistency on a game-by-game basis at this level. Exciting to see all that talent and he's fearless, too.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject:

J Critt for the Kobe -esque winning jumper.
WOW mainly surprised that NBA.COM had the whole game on vid
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Other than the missed FTs, Javaris played with real confidence. Even more so than Farmar last year. The explosiveness and ability to change direction are all there on offense. Someone mentioned a comparison with Baron Davis. I don't think Javaris is at that level -- not yet anyways -- but he made a nice showing for himself. He does remind me of someone, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe a more-in-control Ricky Davis, with true PG instincts?

I'l ponder this.

SGH

Closest thing I can think of is Monta Ellis but playmaking. It's not even that much of a stretch to see Steve Francis stick out. He doesn't gun like Ben Gordon. He doesn't have the shot selection of Baron Davis. He's got some hoop IQ out there off-the-ball.

It's impressive.

There were rumors the Hawks considered trading #11 to acquire Monta Ellis. That definitely says he's a lottery pick since he's better than Ellis.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject:

tw-lakbfan wrote:
lakerstan wrote:
Here's my experience from yesterday:

I ended up missing the first 10 minutes of the Laker game (which I hear wasn't great anyway). As Dancing Barry mentioned, Farmar was sub-par and JCritt was awesome. His explosion to the hole was fantastic...and the game winner - nice.

During the game there was certainly some anti-Mitch heckling going on. One guy five rows in front of me, in particular, would wait for a quiet point in the game and start calling out Mitch. He held a big sign saying "What Now, Mitch?". Said things like "Waive your magic wand!" and "Don't screw it up!". He was entertaining, but I could see how he might get on the casual fan's nerves. Apparently Jim Buss was there, but I didn't see him. The guy kept saying "Hey Buss Boy - do something!"

Another guy was there with a "Future GM" sign with an arrow pointing down at his kid.

After the game, I went over to where Mitch was and, though I had an opportunity to do some ribbing of my own, figured he got the message. I asked him to sign my program and said "Looks like you've got yourself a nice little draft pick there". He coldly said, "Thanks" and scurried to a nearby elevator.

Then I saw Bill Bertka just sitting by himself. I went up to him and said "Hey coach, would you please sign my program - It's an honor to meet you". I tell you - he was the friendliest guy. He gave me a great big smile like I just made his day. As I looked down and watched him sign my program, I saw his championship ring on his hand. Bertka and championships....ah, the good old days.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's alway nice to read the on spot stories.

Encouraging about Crittenton.

Funny about Mitch.

Thank you for sharing.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
god i've missed these reports.

same here.

thanks DB

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject:

George Karl, on his son, Coby...

Quote:
"We talk all the time," George explained. "We didn't talk a lot about (Sunday's) game, but sometime this week we'll probably watch film and watch him play. The triangle's a hard offense and I think he's got to listen to them on that, but in general I thought his defense was better than I had seen it. I think he's got to show people that he can play some defense here.

"I think he's going to have to play better than (he did Sunday) to get some commitment from the team, but I think he likes his position," George said. "(The Lakers) obviously liked him because they played him a lot of minutes. I think he can play better than he played. The more time with the triangle and the more time you get involved with the players, you have a tendency to play better."

Father and son have watched the summer league together for the last few years, and in some ways it's a dream come true for Coby to finally be able suit up in Vegas as a player.

"We're here every year," Coby said. "I've been here I think four years now. It's been fun just to watch, but it's been more fun to participate. It's almost surreal."

One would have to assume dad agrees. However, there's one little issue. If Coby plays well enough, he'll stick next season with one of Denver's conference rivals.

"I didn't like the Laker uniform. I didn't like that the (Laker) fans were rooting for him," George joked.

When asked what he thinks about the prospects of Coby playing for Phil Jackson, George replied: "That would be cool... except for the four games we've got to kick their (butts)."

You can bet the younger Karl would welcome the challenge.
LINK
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I'l ponder this.

SGH

It's impressive.

There were rumors the Hawks considered trading #11 to acquire Monta Ellis. That definitely says he's a lottery pick since he's better than Ellis.

Mike,

Steve Francis is a good call, although Javaris (granted, from what little I've seen) sems to play a more mature game -- more in control. Montae is another good choice, but Javaris seems to have better PG instincts, so I agree with you there again. JC is also bigger than I thought. I thought he'd be another 6'2" guy who is touted as a 6'5" guy. But he has some size on him. He makes Farmar look shrimpy.

SGH
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: