A Certain Plus-Sized Host: "The Lakers are quietly working on something big."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I've even held out hope for 2 big trades:

We get Garnett, Blout for Odom, Bynum, and some draft picks
We get artest for Kwame and Farmar

Then we look something like:

Blout, Mihm
Garnett, Turiaf, Vlade
Artest, Luke, Vlade
Kobe, Evans
Fisher, Critter

Maybe not a championship team, but one nasty team, that can score and defend. I wonder what the over/under on a Artest-Bowen cage match would be?

Last edited by waterman40 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
RYZ wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RYZ wrote:
As long as it wasn't one of Joe's goofy teasers to lure people to the show, it might have some credibility.

I have to believe either Farmar or Crittenton is involved though. Even Mitch, in his obtuse MLE meanderings can't possibly have plans to run both of them out there with D. Fish this year.

Why not? If one needs to be in a trade for KG, then deal them. But otherwise, there is nothing wrong with having two young, promising PGs.

Yes, there is when they're rotting away on the bench, sitting undeveloped behind an old spot up shooter in a PG's body who was never starting material in his physical prime... 8 years ago. It's very difficult in such cases for the "promise" to ever be realized.

Fisher was only signed to a 3-year deal. It isn't hard to imagine that even this year, Farmar could be the starter, with Fisher closing out games, getting 20 minutes or so a game. I could imagine Crit getting something like 10-15 minutes a game either spelling Farmar/Fish at PG for 5-10 minutes a time or playing 5-10 minutes at SG behind Kobe. I think this year the Lakers will look to get Kobe's minutes down below the 40 minute mark.

Now, that's this year, next year and the year after Fisher's role will slowly decrease, with potentially Jordan and Crits' roles increasing. Fisher will be gone in three years....at that point Crit will still be under his rookie contract and it will be time to decide what kind of contract we would want to give Farmar.

Bottom Line - I see no reason why we can't develop both Crit and Farmar, the only question will be regarding if we have to eventually make a choice between the two and commit to one of them as our starting PG (trading the one that loses out). My guess is eventually Crit will be the better player, which is why Farmar is the one more likely to be traded (from the Lakers perspective) but the one less likely to be asked for in trade (from other teams' perspectives who would prefer Crit's long-term potential).

The bottom line is Crittenton is going nowhere in this league as a 2 guard: not enough shot, not enough height, and at that height not elite level athleticism to compensate for lack of height. Sure, you can run him periodically off the ball, but you sure as heck won't be "developing" him when you do.

Same thing goes for Farmar: As well as he functioned off the ball alongside Collison at UCLA, no one is fooling himself that when Jordan is running three min./game at the 2 while Kobe handles the initiating that Farmar is honing his floor general/tempo control skills.

I'm not eager to see either of them traded, I just now how close to impossible it is to realistically develop one player when there's an eager starting vet ahead of him, let alone two. Anyone who thinks the Lakers can adequately develop Farmar and Crittenton as PGs in parallel, all the while starting Fisher is kidding himself.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RYZ wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RYZ wrote:
As long as it wasn't one of Joe's goofy teasers to lure people to the show, it might have some credibility.

I have to believe either Farmar or Crittenton is involved though. Even Mitch, in his obtuse MLE meanderings can't possibly have plans to run both of them out there with D. Fish this year.

Why not? If one needs to be in a trade for KG, then deal them. But otherwise, there is nothing wrong with having two young, promising PGs.

Yes, there is when they're rotting away on the bench, sitting undeveloped behind an old spot up shooter in a PG's body who was never starting material in his physical prime... 8 years ago. It's very difficult in such cases for the "promise" to ever be realized.

So you think Fish will play 48 mpg?

^^ See above.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject:

waterman40, I wouldn't be able to handle myself if they could land KG AND Artest. The thing is, the trade you suggest is financially impossible. It would take a total collapse from GS, say they deal for JO, and a commitment to deal KG now. Here's the best you could do (without including Kwame and Farmar).

Bynum, Green, Ratliff, Mihm (5m/1yr), McKie (3m/1yr), Lakers 1st in 2K8 and 2K10, Celtics 1st for KG (add Blount for Radmanovic)

There's about a snowball's chance that happens. You need to take back deals from the Wolves and I don't think they're thrilled about taking on Radman. You also have to talk Mihm into going up north for a year, and hope they see a lot of potential in Green (if you get the Celts to take Odom). You could even throw in Mo Evans or Sasha (though you're getting KG) with Artest being able to backup the SG spot.

Blount(32)/Turiaf(10)/Robinson(6)
Garnett(38)/Turiaf(5)/Cook(5)
Artest(26)/Walton(22)
Kobe(40)/Artest(8)/Evans or other SG?
Fisher(32)/Crittenton(16)

Again, don't see it happening, but if some crazy scenario happend where they didn't value Kwame enough and were willing to do that sort of deal....I give it a 1% chance. They'd be crazy to not want to lose a contract for Kwame's deal.
KingKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject:

How bout Kwame, Bynum, Vlad, Cook, Farmar, and McKie (buyout) for JO, and Murphy (we might have to throw in Sasha or Evans but it works)

Then trade Evans or Sasha plus a future for Luther Head

We then have a team of...
Murphy, Mihm, (VetMin)
JO, Turiaf
Odom, Walton
Kobe, Sasha, Karl
Head, Fisher, Critt

Now that is a team.
6'11 Murphy as a stater in GSW- 15 and 10 (+3 point shot)
6'11 JO- 20 and 10, +3 blocks
6'10 LO- 15p, 10r, 5a, 1b, 1s
6'6 Kobe- 35-40points 5-6r 5-6a and 2 steals
6'3 Head- 11p 44%3pt

We can go small with... JO,LO,Walton front line

And we have Turiaf energy, Mihm's decent shotblocking and scoring, Fisher's leadership and Walton as our 6th man all filling out our second unit.

And on top of that, its realistic, Indy gets Bynum, Farmar, Kwame's exp k, and gets rid of Murphy's huge salary (taking on cheaper players in Cook and Rad). If they really get stingy they can have a 2009 pick.

"We're all surrounded by idiots." - Kobe Bryant
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject:

KingKobe wrote:
How bout Kwame, Bynum, Vlad, Cook, Farmar, and McKie (buyout) for JO, and Murphy (we might have to throw in Sasha or Evans but it works)

Then trade Evans or Sasha plus a future for Luther Head

We then have a team of...
Murphy, Mihm, (VetMin)
JO, Turiaf
Odom, Walton
Kobe, Sasha, Karl
Head, Fisher, Critt

Now that is a team.
6'11 Murphy as a stater in GSW- 15 and 10 (+3 point shot)
6'11 JO- 20 and 10, +3 blocks
6'10 LO- 15p, 10r, 5a, 1b, 1s
6'6 Kobe- 35-40points 5-6r 5-6a and 2 steals
6'3 Head- 11p 44%3pt

We can go small with... JO,LO,Walton front line

And we have Turiaf energy, Mihm's decent shotblocking and scoring, Fisher's leadership and Walton as our 6th man all filling out our second unit.

And on top of that, its realistic, Indy gets Bynum, Farmar, Kwame's exp k, and gets rid of Murphy's huge salary (taking on cheaper players in Cook and Rad). If they really get stingy they can have a 2009 pick.

No, no Murphy, no Murphy! He's horrible: doesn't defend, doesn't rebound particularly well anymore, is just another big-man who thinks he's a guard playing the perimeter--and way overpriced.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: